• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Labadal

I didn't want to start a thread for this, so I'll ask here: Is the Cowboy Bebop anime good? Been thinking about watching that. My brother watches Naruto and my cousin watches Bleach, but I didn't really like them. Cool fighting sequences but damn do the plot points drag.

Slizz

I didn't want to start a thread for this, so I'll ask here: Is the Cowboy Bebop anime good? Been thinking about watching that. My brother watches Naruto and my cousin watches Bleach, but I didn't really like them. Cool fighting sequences but damn do the plot points drag.

I love Cowboy Bebop. I'm not really a huge fan of Anime's in general, it has to be pretty specific for me to like it.

Cowboy Bebop is awesome, to the point, interesting, never really lulls. Great series. Most people who are into anime in general really rate this as a good series as well.

K1LLER7

haven't seen it but i'd recommend Death Note and Samurai Champloo if your looking for anime to watch and haven't seen them yet.

Scum

Cowboy Bebop is awesome. Check out Samurai Champloo too. The soundtracks for both are just too damn good!

Yes, that's like the one anime everyone loves. I'm picky when it comes to that and it's one of my favorites.

Also :lol

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=akaCp_iMOTc

Making it rain.

Meier

Cowboy Bebop is fucking amazing. Watch the film after. The animation is absolutely stunning.

The English dub on Bebop is quite good as well if you prefer that.

FootballFan

I don't think Guardiola is shit but I don't think we can say he's anything other than 'good' until he manages a different team in a different league. In fact his selections for the two games against Chelsea bordered on idiotic, starting kids instead of Pedro was utterly insane in a match of that magnitude. Barca have many weaknesses but they are mainly papered over by the football god that is Messi.

Pep made some dumb mistakes but so has mr special one mourinho(playing high line vs Barca losing 5-0 lololol).

Mistakes though don't tarnish all of their good. Getting rid of Dinho, Deco and Edmilson + bringing in Busquets and Pedro from Barca B(who were literally unknown to nearly everyone), buying Pique, Alves and Keita, motivating Henry to have his best season with Barca, moving Messi into the false 9 role, implementing the extreme possession football and hustle when the ball has been lost. etc. He also promoted Barca B into the 2nd division. I am not saying he is the best, but I think he is better than good. Its not easy to kick Mou's ass as much as he did no matter what team you have.

(but yes, Messi does have a huuuuge role in the whole thing, obviously)

One does not simply switch to a 3-4-3 after winning everything with a 4-3-3.

He took too many gambles last season and almost none of them paid off.

Edi: How can anyone take me seriously with this avatar?
KuGsj.gif

:lol

He still managed to get some of the smaller cups like Copa Del Rey, Club World Cup, Euro Supercup and Spanish Supercup(though we got owned here, but Messi saved us). But 3-4-3 and no-Pedro is definitely one of his worst decisions. Doesn't help that Abidal was always sick, Puyol missing in action, Pique boning Shakira, Xavi looking fatigued, Villa breaking his leg, Afellay missing whole season, Tello and Cuenca being used instead of Pedro. /doicare

Messi, this is for you:

scaled.php

Cant really tell but looks like Shakira and Pique. :lol Lucky man.

I'd say watch something like Death Note since you aren't into stuff like Bleach or Naruto. Haven't seen Cowboy Bebop myself, but all I only hear good about it.

Zabojnik

So I guess the chances of Juve signing a top striker are getting slimmer and slimmer. As it stands now, RVP is either staying at Arsenal or moving to City, Dzeko is staying at City or moving to Milan, likewise Tevez. Suarez is staying at Liverpool (although for some reason I'm expecting Barca to bid for him), Cavani at Napoli, Falcao at Atletico - not that he was ever within our reach anyway. I'm still hoping for Destro, but it seems that Roma are now in the lead, having just sold Borini for a decent amount of moneyz.

That leaves Jovetic and Damiao. I have a feeling Jojo will either decide to stay in Firenze for one last season a la Cavani or end up in the PL. I suppose we could tempt the Viola by offering Giovinco + Matri (or Quagliarella), but I'm pretty sure neither would be particulary happy with such a transfer. So we're back to Damiao, which would be a disappointing signing to say the very least. What makes the whole situation even more frustrating is the fact that Marotta & Paratici have been on fire otherwise. It's just the goddamn striker we're missing. :/

FootballFan

Falcao at Bilbao - not that he was ever within our reach anyway.

Falcao went to Bilbao!? :p

I don't see Falcao or Cavani leaving their clubs, but I think Juve has a chance to get RVP(unfortunately for them).

Behrami(Fiorentina) being linked to Napoli, apparently close to signing. Would be a good transfer for them.

jtb

Banned
So I guess the chances of Juve signing a top striker are getting slimmer and slimmer. As it stands now, RVP is either staying at Arsenal or moving to City, Dzeko is staying at City or moving to Milan, likewise Tevez. Suarez is staying at Liverpool (although for some reason I'm expecting Barca to bid for him), Cavani at Napoli, Falcao at Atletico - not that he was ever within our reach anyway. I'm still hoping for Destro, but it seems that Roma are now in the lead, having just sold Borini for a decent amount of moneyz.

That leaves Jovetic and Damiao. I have a feeling Jojo will either decide to stay in Firenze for one last season a la Cavani or end up in the PL. I suppose we could tempt the Viola by offering Giovinco + Matri (or Quagliarella), but I'm pretty sure neither would be particulary happy with such a transfer. So we're back to Damiao, which would be a disappointing signing to say the very least. What makes the whole situation even more frustrating is the fact that Marotta & Paratici have been on fire otherwise. It's just the goddamn striker we're missing. :/

I don't get why Juve isn't in for RVP. It makes too much sense!
plz ignore his chronic injury problems and abysmal form at the Euros

Lightning

Banned
I don't get why Juve isn't in for RVP. It makes too much sense!
plz ignore his chronic injury problems and abysmal form at the Euros
What do you think the odds are of RVP having another stellar season? Even 2/3rds of the season he just had? I would say very slim.

He can go to Juve or Man City. Even if he stays, I'm still bitter and pissed at him from that disrespectful message on his freakin website that he put up.

jtb

Banned
What do you think the odds are of RVP having another stellar season? Even 2/3rds of the season he just had? I would say very slim.

He can go to Juve or Man City. Even if he stays, I'm still bitter and pissed at him from that disrespectful message on his freakin website that he put up.

next to zero. Even if he doesn't get injured (which he will), his form was pretty poor towards the end of the season anyways. He was clearly exhausted because he's never played a full season and once you add the Euros on top of it (luckily for him, he went home early but he was still very poor) RVP has been relatively poor for some time. if I didn't know any better, I'd say he's actively fucking us over and lowering the transfer fee in order to force a move.

Regardless, I can't believe I'm saying this... but Gallas was right all along: RVP's a prick.
Shit, he was right about Nasri too! Fucking prophet... not that it changes the fact he was a terrible captain.
If Wenger tries to buy his affections it's only going to backfire horribly rather than galvanizing the squad like he thinks it will. It's way past the point of no return. Sell him before the hype dies.

1/1. Even if he gets injured (which he won't, his injuries are behind him), his form was pretty awesome throughout the season, except for a little blip at the end. He was clearly exhausted because he's never played a full season, but he has now so he should be able to last the whole season this time. Once you add the Euros on top of it (luckily for him, he went home early but he was below par, and even then he was getting himself into good positions) RVP has been relatively poor since the start of May, but now he's got that poor form out of his system, and gets a nice holiday before he comes back on top form. if I didn't know any better, I'd say he was saving himself for the new season, which could see us coming second if one of the Mancs is below their standard, or even challenging for the title if we can make a better start than we did last time, and keep everyone fit

:p

Labadal

I'm sorry for going off topic, but thanks for the responses, will check out all suggestions. Heard good things about Samurai Champloo and Death Note.

It's not that I dislike Bleach and Naruto, theyr'e ok and I watch some episodes with my brother. I'm also used to Naruto since my little cousin loves the series and I have to play the Ultimate Ninja Storm games with him. He always kicks my ass, then lets me win a game or two. Maybe that's why I don't watch it, never thought about it that way, lol.

On topic:

Moments after becoming Brendan Rodgers' first signing for the Reds, Fabio Borini gave his one and only exclusive interview to Liverpoolfc.com. Here's what he had to say...

Fabio, we're in a car on the way back to Melwood after you completed your medical and the formalities of the deal. How does it feel to be a Liverpool player?

It feels really good - and to be back in England as well. It's a top club that has won a lot of trophies in the past - and will do so in the future we hope as well. I've got the trust of the manager and the club, which for me is very nice and I'm proud to be here.

How did you feel when you heard Liverpool were interested in you?

I felt really good because I wanted to come back to England one day. I knew sooner or later I would be back. Being back with Liverpool is even better because I can show the people what I can do. We've got the Europa League and lots of things to play for.

This will be the third time you've worked with Brendan Rodgers. How important was the boss in bringing you here?

He was very important. I wouldn't say it was the key, but most of it came from him. Even during last season, I spoke with him a lot. I'd text him and ask if he was okay and congratulated him on the results he got with Swansea. First of all it is a relationship of friendship and afterwards it is a working one. That is more important than anything.

What is Brendan like to play for?

I used to play 4-3-3 with him and he is very good to play football for. It is great to play football for him because you can have fun and you can get results. I could see at Swansea the people loved him because the football was attractive. People like to see football (played) like this.

What can we expect to see from the Liverpool players next season under Brendan?

They will certainly see football players that want to win, and that will always work for the team rather than themselves. Liverpool wants to get results and that's what we'll try to do.

What sort of player would you describe yourself as?

I'd describe myself as a player that never gives up and I run a lot. I had difficult times at Chelsea when I was younger because I came from Italy. It was very difficult, I tried to be strong for myself and demonstrate to people I could do it. That is an achievement I have made and why I am here.

You've just come back from being with the Italy squad at the European Championships. Has that experience helped you develop as a player?

Of course. It was a big experience for me. I'm only 21 years old, so it was a good experience even if I didn't play. Getting to the final was even more experience because it's not something that happens every day. It will be great to bring it (experience) with me.

I believe you have a special goal celebration Liverpool fans will want to see this season. Can you tell us a bit about it?

My celebration is a knife between the teeth. In Italy it means a warrior or someone who never gives up and will always get up if they fall down. At Swansea and Roma the fans liked it, so I hope to show it to Liverpool fans as well.

As a forward, how much are you looking forward to playing with Luis Suarez this season?

A lot because he is maybe another player who is similar to me because he works very hard in every game. I've watched a few games, and all of Europe wants him. Every player wants to play with him, so it will be a pleasure.

In coming to Liverpool, you're joining one of the biggest clubs in Europe. Are you aware of the club's history?

Yes, I am aware of it. I remember the Champions League final against AC Milan. It is very important to have this important past because you can bring it to the future and try to remake the past.

You've already played at Anfield once before in an FA Youth Cup tie in February 2009 - what do you remember about that night?

(Laughs) I remember we lost! We had a good team at Chelsea in the FA Youth Cup, but we lost. But the impression it left on me was very good because of the stadium's history. It's a dream for everyone to play at Anfield, so it was a very nice experience.

So are you excited about playing at Anfield every other week now this season?

Yes, every other week in a full stadium. It will be amazing. I know the fans are very warm and they're here for football.

What do you hope to achieve during your time at Liverpool?

I hope to achieve the maximum I can, by scoring goals, getting into the Champions League and all of the things the club also wants - and all the other players.

Finally, do you have a message for Liverpool fans?

There's not especially one, but I think with Brendan they will see good football!

Mostly standard Q&A, but there are some interesting bits.

I'd actually quite like it if a player said they didn't give a shit about Anfield or the fans, but were convinced by the plans for the team going forward

Labadal

I'd actually quite like it if a player said they didn't give a shit about Anfield or the fans, but were convinced by the plans for the team going forward

I think that's what Assou-Ekotto said once? He cared only about being successful or something like that. Read it when he signed. I don't remember if it's all lies or not, but i remember reading something like that. I know a lot of players don't really care about the fans and the staduim, but saying that they don't care about them won't make their start at the club any easier. Especially not if they don't succeed. As i said, standard Q&A. :p

I think that's what Assou-Ekotto said once? He cared only about being successful or something like that. Read it when he signed. I don't remember if it's all lies or not, but i remember reading something like that. I know a lot of players don't really care about the fans and the staduim, but saying that they don't care about them won't make their start at the club any easier. Especially not if they don't succeed. As i said, standard Q&A. :p

Think Assou-Ekotto said he doesn't care for playing football and its just a job to him. Something along those lines anyway

Clegg

More Lucas to United rumours popping up. I was starting to get excited about the possibility of them being true but then I saw that Bob Cass thinks the deal will happen.

Which means it won't happen.

I have to ask, as an MLS fan with not much knowledge of soccer around the world...whats he concesus on cursing at games?

I had a dad talk shit to me tonight in front of my own son cause I told Marco Di Vaio he was a piece of shit.
I was borderline about to sneak a bitch in the back of his head.

So is this a common occurence in Euro soccer?

rodvik

I have to ask, as an MLS fan with not much knowledge of soccer around the world...whats he concesus on cursing at games?

I had a dad talk shit to me tonight in front of my own son cause I told Marco Di Vaio he was a piece of shit.

Fairly common. It depends to be honest. Really depends who you end up near. I have noticed a lack of swearing in chanting in US games, you get that all the time in England.

Earthquakes FTW!

I cant believe they just interviewed the San Jose manager live while the game was going on. Weird.

Fairly common. It depends to be honest. Really depends who you end up near. I have noticed a lack of swearing in chanting in US games, you get that all the time in England.

Earthquakes FTW!

I cant believe they just interviewed the San Jose manager live while the game was going on. Weird.

I sit in the supporters section, basically you sing all game, jump, must wear team colors etc..

My kid is 11, has only missed 2 games in 2 seasons and lives soccer. He wishes death apon guys at the top of his screechey little voice.

I dont get these people who bring there kids to and expect hugs, kisses and wags of the fingers.

rodvik

I sit in the supporters section, basically you sing all game, jump, must wear team colors etc..

My kid is 11, has only missed 2 games in 2 seasons and lives soccer. He wishes death apon guys at the top of his screechey little voice.

I dont get these people who bring there kids to and expect hugs, kisses and wags of the fingers.

This is awesome 8)

This is awesome 8)

His mom popped him in the side of the head cause he gave the universal "Up yours" gesture to Justin Mapp during a free kick.

The kid is 11, plays academy ball, and as we speak is in his room watching a rebroadcast of Chelsea vs. Valencia yelling something about Mata.

I know they want to grow the sport here in the states but this soccer mom mentality is fucking me...

Hieberrr

I officially am never going to watch another MLS match ever again.

I sat through the entire New England-Toronto FC match earlier and I had more fun making fun of the slow and sloppy game than actually cheering. What was I thinking...

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

I sat through the entire New England-Toronto FC match earlier and I had more fun making fun of the slow and sloppy game than actually cheering. What was I thinking...

There is your problem...

hey now...are we invading the footy thread with MLS talk?

what kind of madness is his???

Just dont curse MLS fans, or some whle with a zip-loc bag full of orange slices will hunt you down and give you a timeout!

*drunk and angry*

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
hey now...are we invading the footy thread with MLS talk?

what kind of madness is his???

Just dont curse MLS fans, or some whle with a zip-loc bag full of orange slices will hunt you down and give you a timeout!

*drunk and angry*

There has been MLS fans posting in here. I post about the league in both.

Zabojnik

Not sure I understand. You had a colourful verbal exchange with a guy that I presume supports the same team as you and / or your son, because you insulted Di Vaio, a player of the opposite team?

rodvik

You picked the wrong game. Both the ones going on now are fantastic.

I really hope Kyoufu comes back. He was my pick for POTY! I wasn't joking either, Kyoufu is great. He doesn't take himself too seriously and rolls with the punches. Not to make anybody feel bad but people regularly tell him in here that he's stupid and knows nothing even when at least to me it seems kinda obv he is just joking.

Besides the guy hasn't watched football in 10 years, he's bound to be a bit behind.

I miss his "WE'LL BUY HIM FOR £50M" moments.

So if you're reading this Ky, please come back, we miss you. And don't listen to what Kyle says he's a boring old fart.

Not sure I understand. You had a colourful verbal exchange with a guy that I presume supports the same team as you and / or your son, because you insulted Di Vaio, a player of the opposite team?

yeah, I said shit...in the supporters section.. post game as players left to head down the tunnel.

Its been an issue with MLS for a while, people getting banned or kicked out for using curse words. I mean yes, homophobic, racial slurs and F bombs are waaaay out of bounds but to get uppity over the word "shit" or the infamous "You suck asshole" which is almost like a sin to say to some people.

yeah, I said shit...in the supporters section.. post game as players left to head down the tunnel.

Its been an issue with MLS for a while, people getting banned or kicked out for using curse words. I mean yes, homophobic, racial slurs and F bombs are waaaay out of bounds but to get uppity over the word "shit" or the infamous "You suck asshole" which is almost like a sin to say to some people.
Its a problem at all sporting venues in the US right now unfortunately.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom