• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2011/2012 | OT12 | All the clowns were offside...

Status
Not open for further replies.
I can't wait to see Kagawa and Scholes link up.

I don't usually care much for these silly pre season games because they're usually very boring especially against this particularly obscure type of opposition...but the chance to see Shinji...so hyped.

K1LLER7

I can't wait to see Kagawa and Scholes link up.

I don't usually care much for these silly pre season games because they're usually very boring especially against this particularly obscure type of opposition...but the chance to see Shinji...so hyped.
Looking forwards to seeing Powell and Petrucci get some game time too hopefully

Carbonox

Totally forgot we still have Xisco. He's obviously back training with the team. Until the day we get rid of him, why not give him a shot in pre-season? Until Carroll comes in to replace him. ;) Xisco is on 50k a week so getting rid of him will actually go a long way to helping us with the Carroll finances.

Wilbur

Banned
6xrDI.jpg

D_prOdigy

Dreamt last night Kagawa got an assist (Rooney) and a goal (header) in his first PL game. I need the season to start, dammit - there's only so much trying to avoid relegation with shite Hereford United on FM can do.

Fady K

I'm good. I forgot to mention I have tore all my ligaments in the lower back. It sounds worse than it is! I have the sofa moved right up to the tv and I'm sitting here in not much pain playing F1 2011. I'm heading to Oxford for a few days starting Friday. Big posh wedding! What's the craic with you?

Damn bro, I'm glad that you're feeling better at least. Good luck with the Oxford trip man, and enjoy the wedding! I'm fine thank God, looking forward to Chelsea's first preseason game, and enjoying a very strange adventure game on the PS3 by Telltale games that goes by the name of "Strongbad's Cool Game for Attractive People".

strong-bads-cool-game-for-attractive-people-episode-3-12.jpg

Kyoufu

Totally forgot we still have Xisco. He's obviously back training with the team. Until the day we get rid of him, why not give him a shot in pre-season? Until Carroll comes in to replace him. ;) Xisco is on 50k a week so getting rid of him will actually go a long way to helping us with the Carroll finances.

Who the hell put Xisco on 50k a week? :/

Kyoufu

He's a Dennis Wise gem so that explains everything. Fucking prick. Man those days were daaaaaaaaaaaaaark days for the club when that cock had a powerful role in the club.

I'm glad I wasn't following football back then. I would have been livid with everything.

Has Xisco been on loan at least?

Carbonox

I'm glad I wasn't following football back then. I would have been livid with everything.

Has Xisco been on loan at least?

He's only played like 10 games for us in 3 or 4 years so aside from those he's been rotting in reserves or on loan at clubs like Deportivo, etc. for whole seasons.

Tc91

£6 a month. I saw a deal for £3 for however many months a few days ago, but it disappeared.

So £6 to watch all 7 pre-season games? Doesn't sound too bad to me, never subscribed to MUTV though so I don't know what its like.

Edit: is it 6 or 7 pre-season games? The video on the website says 7 but the fixture list says 6.

Listening to The xx's new single, pretty cool teaser for the album. Excited for it, Sep 10th! I hardly listen to particular bands anymore these days...but The xx, Killers and Bloc Party all have albums coming up soon which I can't wait for!

Edit - Whoops, forgot Passion Pit too!

Wilbur

Banned
Listening to The xx's new single, pretty cool teaser for the album. Excited for it, Sep 10th! I hardly listen to particular bands anymore these days...but The xx, Killers and Bloc Party all have albums coming up soon which I can't wait for!

Don't really like the Killers but the xx album was fantastic. Need to download Channel Orange as well.

GorillaJu

Two pairs of words have been prominent in the reaction to the news that Liverpool seem poised to sign Clint Dempsey once they remember to get the go-ahead from Fulham. One of those pairs has no business being bandied about, viz. Charlie Adam. The other pair is more pertinent: Brendan Rodgers.

The reference to Adam has been made by people who believe Liverpool have been seduced by one fine season into coveting a player who cannot reasonably be expected to bring Liverpool nearer to the level they aspire to play at. Such people should be sworn at like cold callers.

Because although last season was Dempsey's most productive, he has been an excellent performer in the Premier League for the best part of five years. Furthermore, where Adam's most obvious failing is a lack of mobility for which his attempts to atone lead him to strain, lunge and generally become clumsy, Dempsey is a genuine dynamo, the second most prolific tackler among forwards in the Premier League for each of the past three seasons and covering more ground than prize horse manure.

Tenacity and energy are Dempsey's first two defining traits and also the founding blocks of the style that Rodgers will seek to build, if his old Swansea City side were anything to go by. The drive that has already propelled Dempsey from his relatively disadvantaged roots in a small town in East Texas to the top of the MLS and then the Premier League ensure that he will not be rendered as meek by Anfield expectations as, say, Stewart Downing and young Jordan Henderson appear to have been.

This is a ferocious competitor who has played matches with a broken jaw and gone into challenges hard enough to fracture John Terry's cheekbone. A seasoned American international, he will be fazed neither by the stature of Liverpool nor the amount of off-the-ball work that Rodgers will demand.

That is the foundation. Dempsey, of course, offers much more on top. His well-timed surges, dangerous shooting and knack for the audacious and unpredictable mean he could help overcome the dependency on the undependable Luis Suárez for goals. His intelligence and instincts make him adaptable: while it is easy to see him slotting in on either side of the front of a Swansea-style 4-3-3 or a 4-4-2, at Fulham he also proved his usefulness as a shape-shifting No9 long before Cesc Fábregas showcased the role at Euro 2012.

Dempsey would deserve to be greeted at Liverpool by the same sort of optimism that Joe Cole's arrival inspired a couple of years ago: and since he is a more intelligent and influential footballer than Cole, the feelgood factor should last a lot longer. At 29, he hardly represents the far future of the club but he could play a significant role in setting it on the right path.

From the Guardian. I agree wholeheartedly with this assessment. Any reservations about Dempsey are misplaced. There are few players in the Prem who represent such a good value at the price were likely to pay

LegoArmo

So £6 to watch all 7 pre-season games? Doesn't sound too bad to me, never subscribed to MUTV though so I don't know what its like.

Edit: is it 6 or 7 pre-season games? The video on the website says 7 but the fixture list says 6.

Yeah, it's not bad. I guess they just bank on people forgetting to cancel.

I count 6 too.

I hope this doesn't sound bad, but I remember how surprised I was when I found out the lead singer for Bloc Party was black. You know when you try to put a face to a voice... I just didn't picture it. I didn't know his name though. That would have given me a clue as to his ethnicity.

I hope this doesn't sound bad, but I remember how surprised I was when I found out the lead singer for Bloc Party was black. You know when you try to put a face to a voice... I just didn't picture it. I didn't know his name though. That would have given me a clue as to his ethnicity.

That is a strange coincidence. I just came into this thread to say that I'd assumed that Oscar was black, and only just found out that he's white when they showed him on SSN

That is a strange coincidence. I just came into this thread to say that I'd assumed that Oscar was black, and only just found out that he's white when they showed him on SSN

I'm not happy about Oscar. It seems Uncle Roman is back to his old tricks of buying players just so no one else can have them

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom