• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zabojnik

The Glazers bought the club for £700 million. They borrowed this money from the bank and as soon as they had control of United they transferred the debt onto the club.

Now MUFC is left with the burden of the Glazers debt.

EDIT: Nevermind, answered on the previous page.

Jensen

Ah, right. Why sell to the Glazers, then? Surely the risks of such a bold financial move were considered by the previous owners?
We became a plc in the early '90s. The majority shareholders before the Glazer takeover had little interest in taking over the club.

Clegg

Ah, right. Why sell to the Glazers, then? Surely the risks of such a bold financial move were considered by the previous owners?

Previous owners didn't care. They were embroiled in a lawsuit with SAF at the time and wanted to sell up. Then the Glazers came in with an incredibly attractive offer which was impossible for them to say no to.

Feorax

it's some silver lining that our wage bill is sufficiently trimmed, and we've got a chunk of money towards buying Allen.

Priority should be making sure Agger, Skrtel, Lucas and Suarez get the contracts they deserve from the money saved. Once that's done, then we can spend on the likes of Allen.

Jensen

A couple of years ago, there were rumours some billionaires wanted to take over United. They were the apparently the same ones who have took over PSG.
The only billionaire I would want at the club is someone similar to this guy,

tumblr_m4aol2aLgC1qlfjqe.jpg

Clegg

I'd rather have PSGs owners.

We wouldn't even need them to fund us for transfers. Just get them to pay off the debt and we'd be sorted.

Hixx

£10m for Fletcher... hope that's including add ons. Our last two £10m+ strikers have turned out to be utter chebends.

Arnie

Priority should be making sure Agger, Skrtel, Lucas and Suarez get the contracts they deserve from the money saved. Once that's done, then we can spend on the likes of Allen.

True, just read the Agger thing on the Mirror and it's got me anxious. Obviously the fee would be much higher, but I'm still worried about them leaving.

That's the thing though, I love them both, but there's an argument to be made for selling them now when they're at their peak and their stock's at its highest. I wouldn't want to sell both, but we could command £20 million for either of them, and with the likes of Sakho on the fringe at PSG, replacements could be found at respectable prices.

That's what separates the really great managers, those who know when to cut their losses on certain players and rebuild. I think Skrtel's definitely replaceable, Agger less so.

Why would you want Roman?

Why wouldn't you? Not that there might be other better owners out there, but he isn't half as bad as many tries to make him out to be, a few too early manager exits and some dumb transfers that he pushed through himself, but very dedicated to the club despite the yearly "omg he is losing interest!" article.

Scum

Where are you at? I'm playing through it right now too! I just beat the
museum
part. I don't know how many people don't want to be spoiled so I figured its for the best.

I only started earlier this evening. On my way to
to see Mister Freeze

Kyoufu

Why wouldn't you? Not that there might be other better owners out there, but he isn't half as bad as many tries to make him out to be, a few too early manager exits and some dumb transfers that he pushed through himself, but very dedicated to the club despite the yearly "omg he is losing interest!" article.

Agreed. I'd welcome him with open arms if it meant some 50 million pound signings.

TrueBlue

Roman's biggest fuck-up came when he sacked Mourihno. Since then, the only managerial dismissal I've truly disagreed with was Ancelotti.

Edit: Plus, his vanity signings haven't totally hindered us. Yet.

Zabojnik

Does Abramovic have any sons? I always find it funny when people sound so sure when predicting that Roman and the various sheikhs will sooner or later grow bored with injecting countless millions into their clubs / toys. While it could happen, it's football. All it takes is a son (heir) who catches the virus early on and a new football dynasty is born.

Kyoufu

Does Abramovic have any sons? I always find it funny when people sound so sure when predicting that Roman and the various sheikhs will sooner or later grow bored with injecting countless millions into their clubs / toys. While it could happen, it's football. All it takes is a son (heir) who catches the virus early on and a new football dynasty is born.

If he does I hope he's a Newcastle fan.

Salvadora

His enthusiasm is great & its fantastic that he takes such an interest in the club but I was wondering why out of all the owners he'd choose Roman.

Jensen

Why would you want Roman?
How many Chelsea home games does he not attend? I can't remember too many. How many sponsor do Chelsea have that he has a direct interest in? I don't think they have any. He just seems like a guy with a keen interest in football trying to build a football club that can compete for trophies.

I'd rather have Roman than an owner treating a club as a money-making exercise or as an expensive advertising billboard.

Hixx

Yes his lad was at the CL final with him. Went mental when Drogba scored penalty.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso

He does. I'm sure Wooden is going to post his massive GIF in a few minutes.

Kyoufu

Roman has a daughter too doesn't he? He should split his wealth with both of them. The son can have Chelsea and the daughter can buy Newcastle.

It'd be an epic battle for dominance.

Hixx

One of my mates is fucking convinced Jermaine Defoe is in the north east tonight. I want to punch him in the face for getting me excited.

Steve Bruce has signed his son for Hull. LOL

kharma45

TBH it would probably take a sugar daddy owner to clear our debts.

Is Bill Gates interested in football?

I was thinking that after I posted, what I meant was we don't really need someone to bankroll our transfers.

Heh, I wonder if the Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation would see our debts as a charitable case and would lend us a few quid.

Arnie

He is.

But the lad on our message board who said the bid was going in for Fletcher is dropping heavy hints we are bidding/have bid for Defoe too.

2+2 makes me erect

Would be a good signing, and I don't think he'd start for Spurs, assuming they make a couple of signings in the striker department. Spurs really need to sort out their attack, I know they're closing in on Adebayour, but even then they need someone else. They should bid for Carroll.

I never understand why Liverpool got Aquilani and never even gave him a shot.. weird.
We did. We played him when he was fit under Benitez, and he was really good. Then Hodgson came in, gave him pre-season but loaned him out and bought Meireles. Then Kenny came and, despite him playing class again in pre-season, figured he'd rather have Gerrard, Adam, and Henderson instead of him, so loaned him out again. Seems Rodgers wants to clear up the wage bill and feels an approach for Allen would be more beneficial to the club.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom