• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
What's he saying this time? Arsenal and City are both playing today, ESPN.
->
"I don't know what will happen with Van Persie, now he's an Arsenal player.

"They are a top team, even though they've lost some good players in the last year. For me they are one of the best teams in the world, so it's not easy for Van Persie to leave a club like this.

"When you are talking about Manchester City, United and Juventus it's difficult for any player to choose between these three teams.

"But if we have a chance to take him, we will try. He is a top striker like the other strikers we have."

This one is quite funny
"If we also go well in the Champions League, there could also be a chance that we can arrive in the quarter, semi-final or final.

"We will try to win it but it's important, for this, that we have a good squad.

"But I don't think we can play for the Champions League with this squad. That is my opinion, so for this reason we have to buy"

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Crazy talk. That's about as much as Ronaldo and Messi make.

Players are worth what people are willing to pay them. The market determines value, and City certainly got the trophies they wanted with Yaya in the team.

I don't know, I kind of like Arsenals defence as it is. Obviously injuries will fuck it up but Koscielny, Sagna and Vermaelen are as good as any defence + Santos isn't the worst left back in the world.

lol

He's so fat and shit that Wenger would rather play him in midfield than in defence.

Wilbur

Banned
He's actually quite a good left midfielder or wing back. Would do well at a mid table club I think, but as a left back he's horrendous. I think the single worst performance I saw all season was Santos in the first half at Stamford Bridge. He was just fucking atrociously bad.

Ushojax

As with all Arsenal's full back options, he is decent going forwards and has a tasty left foot, even Jenkinson can deliver a nice cross. What they can't do is position themselves correctly when not in possession or anticipate an attacking move. They leave so much space for counter-attacks that even Malaysian teams are creating 3 on 2 situations with ease.

GorillaJu

Total-Feet-Shots.png

For some reason this is a really interesting table for me.

Number of shots taken with feet in the last 4 seasons of PL.

#12 is Nani, right?

Wilbur

Banned
As with all Arsenal's full back options, he is decent going forwards and has a tasty left foot, even Jenkinson can deliver a nice cross. What they can't do is position themselves correctly when not in possession or anticipate an attacking move. They leave so much space for counter-attacks that even Malaysian teams are creating 3 on 2 situations with ease.

On the subject of positioning, I thought Caulker was great yesterday. Didn't get caught out of it, managed to intercept a lot of through balls. Was impressed, he was great at Swansea all season; I could see him being a first team player quicker than expected.

Ushojax

On the subject of positioning, I thought Caulker was great yesterday. Didn't get caught out of it, managed to intercept a lot of through balls. Was impressed, he was great at Swansea all season; I could see him being a first team player quicker than expected.

Yep, he looks great. Tomkins looked like a pub player next to him. The only trouble is that a player that young needs regular games, I hope we can stay in the Europa League longer than last season because it will be great experience for him.

Zabojnik

Stefano 'Equal Justice For Some' Palazzi had an unpleasant rendezvous with some Juventus fans while on vacation. Apparently he was cought 'ironically' commenting how we would have liked to ban Conte for 6 months at least at a bar. He and his friends, no doubt Inter fans, had a good laugh about it, not so much some Juve aficionados who were sitting nearby and heard the whole thing. He was heavily insulted and had to take refuge, with more and more fans converging in front of his vacation home, until the police came and dispersed the masses. A taste of what's to come, I guess. You reap what you saw.

GorillaJu

Perc-Diff-Both-Feet.png

That's the % difference between amount of shots taken w/ right and left foot. No surprise, Tony V is the most one-footed shooter in the PL.

Perct-Diff-Least.png

And there's looking at it from the other angle. Peter Odemwingie is the most two-footed shooter in the PL. Glen Johnson ranks pretty high, and it's not too much of a surprise, he seems very comfortable with either foot in front of goal.

Ushojax

I knew Super Pav would be on that list. He scored some great goals with his left foot.

Ushojax

He's one of the best finishers I've seen coming out of the bench.

His goal against Chelsea at the WHL was awesome.

*sniff*

I still miss him sometimes. He could be utter dogshit for 89.9 minutes but then he would pull a wonder striker out of his arse and win the game.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Stefano 'Equal Justice For Some' Palazzi had an unpleasant rendezvous with some Juventus fans while on vacation. Apparently he was cought 'ironically' commenting how we would have liked to ban Conte for 6 months at least at a bar. He and his friends, no doubt Inter fans, had a good laugh about it, not so much some Juve aficionados who were sitting nearby and heard the whole thing. He was heavily insulted and had to take refuge, with more and more fans converging in front of his vacation home, until the police came and dispersed the masses. A taste of what's to come, I guess. You reap what you saw.

What a fucking circus.

How can this guy be unbiased?

dm8bon.jpg

It's not like conflict of interest mattered back then. But what can we do Zabo? You know, it's just fucking hilarious now.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Hertha Berlin are upset we didn't use our best players against them. They are looking to cut the payment to us in half.

It's fair, because it was their 120° anniversary and all, but I don't think we had a choice. Pirlo, Buffon, Marchisio, Chiellini, Barzagli, Bonucci and the others were resting after the Euros/away on holiday.

Zabojnik

What a fucking circus.

How can this guy be unbiased?

I don't even care if he's biased or not. It's the whole sports justice that's completely fucked up in Italy. How is it even fucking constitutional, when it's the accused who has to prove he's innocent, not the other way around. It's not "innocent until proven guilty", it's "guilty until proven innocent". It truly boggles the mind. What's more, the "trial" is over in three days and there's nothing to prove anyway. It's the word of a soon to be convicted criminal against the word of 30+ people. Absurd.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I don't even care if he's biased or not. It's the whole sports justice that's completely fucked up in Italy. How is it even fucking constitutional, when it's the accused who has to prove he's innocent, not the other way around. It's not "innocent until proven guilty", it's "guilty until proven innocent". It truly boggles the mind. What's more, the "trial" is over in three days and there's nothing to prove anyway. It's the word of a soon to be convicted criminal against the word of 30+ people. Absurd.
Yeah. Fucking shameful.

A washed up nobody bets on games
Gets caught
Blames others (preferably big names) to reduce his sentence
Profit

Case in point: Micolucci.

Hixx

Fletcher's agent spoke today.

"When asked if the Scottish striker, 25, would like to move to Sunderland, Fisher said:

“Why not? We’ve always carefully managed where Steven goes next and I think that Martin O’Neill would get the best out of him.”"

Be amazed if he's not in the red and white stripes holding up some naff scarf this time next week.

He's actually quite a good left midfielder or wing back. Would do well at a mid table club I think, but as a left back he's horrendous. I think the single worst performance I saw all season was Santos in the first half at Stamford Bridge. He was just fucking atrociously bad.

It's funny because when faced up against a winger he's actually really reliable. His success rate was very good in that department, but he just hasn't got a tactical bone in his body, lol. So good going forward though.

I still maintain our problem isn't our defenders but our shitty protection of the defence. We don't press well enough and we leave a huge gap in front of a flat back four too often. There's no wonder why Arsene has been fiending for a quality DM in this window.

I'd love us to take a look at Bruno Soriano. Beast defensively at DM, composed, great passer, experienced, (recent) Spain International, and can play left-back too.

Conte did fix games though.

Juve should be happy with a 3 month ban. It should be a life ban if you're involved in match fixing.

Cheats make me sick.

Zabojnik

:lol

Seriously though, what was Conte's involvement? From what I read it sounds like he might have been aware there was match fixing but did nothing. Is that right or is that the accusation?

That's the accusation. But see, that's not really the accusation. If Carrobio, the guy who's accusing Conte and many others, were to be believed in full, the accusation wouldn't be 'being aware and doing nothing', it would be 'cheating'. So Palazzi didn't believe everything he's saying, just some of it. The idea is 'Conte couldn't have not known'. Get it? So Carrobio is basically lying, but is somehow still deemed credible enough. Were it a civil trial, any judge would have laughed the accusations off.

Anyway, I'll write more on the subject tomorrow, now I'm off to see TDKR and Spiderman. Have a good day, everybody.

Ushojax

GorillaJu

It was the Team GB doctors who ruled him out a month ago. Adam is a dirty moron, nobody with a brain cell tackles like that in a friendly. If that had been Jenas tackling Lucas we'd never hear the end of it.

I can't stand Bale personally, but I think you're completely in the right on this one.

Fry

You can't pick Charlie's side on this one. Bale must be really pissed off, it's not the first time this happens.

I can't stand both players personally.

It was the Team GB doctors who ruled him out a month ago. Adam is a dirty moron, nobody with a brain cell tackles like that in a friendly. If that had been Jenas tackling Lucas we'd never hear the end of it.
I agree. I don't think Bale should have said those things though, it's a bit pointless and he could have made his point without calling Adam a coward for example. But I can see why he's pissed. Adam's tackle was ridiculous.

Brazilian press are apparently saying Lucas Moura's family have travelled to England today. IT'S BACK ON CHAPS!

Wilbur

Banned
Fletcher's agent spoke today.

"When asked if the Scottish striker, 25, would like to move to Sunderland, Fisher said:

“Why not? We’ve always carefully managed where Steven goes next and I think that Martin O’Neill would get the best out of him.”"

Be amazed if he's not in the red and white stripes holding up some naff scarf this time next week.

Would be a fantastic buy.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom