• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

LegoArmo

How is it underhand if all of the documents are public?

I've read the article and what it amounts to is:

Glazers will own 20% less of the club
Debt will be down (not as much as originally hoped, but down)

Right? That, along with a new ridiculously lucrative shirt sponsorship deal, for some reason amounts to a lot of doom and gloom. I suppose I just don't get it.

Zabojnik

Juventus have just offered £20m to Arsenal for RVP. We've already reportedly agreed to terms with the player, which is supposedly an illegal amount of money for his salary.

WENGER JUST SHUT UP AND TAKE OUR MONEY

I'll believe the £190.000 number when I see it in writing. Seems absurdly high for our 'standards'. Then again, it's not my money - meaning that I would be giving my hard earned euros to Juve regardless of who we buy and how much we pay (for) him - so I don't really give a fuck. Do we need someone like RVP? Hell yes. Make offer, buy, done.

Arnie

Was a good read that Viva, enjoyed it. And it's also why I'll never accept the calls that Kenny was a JT; he may have been terrible at handling the media side of things, and he may have been naive in backing Suarez like he did (like he had to), but can you imagine what he'd be doing in SAF's situation? The man who turned down compensation so the club could sign new players. A true legend.

Whilst I wouldn't want to spend all the proceeds from an Agger sale on a Cavani, I can see the logic in pooling the majority of them, plus other funds to try and lure a striker of that quality. In some ways we're fortunate that central defence is probably the best position in the market at the moment, with quality players available for affordable sums, which makes City's pursuit of both Agger and Skrtel baffling.

How is it underhand if all of the documents are public?

I've read the article and what it amounts to is:

Glazers will own 20% less of the club
Debt will be down (not as much as originally hoped, but down)

Right? That, along with a new ridiculously lucrative shirt sponsorship deal, for some reason amounts to a lot of doom and gloom. I suppose I just don't get it.
You really don't get it.

The Glazers made a complete u-turn in how they're distributing the proceeds of this IPO. They made it sound like the proceeds would go to paying down debt, but in fact only half of the proceeds will. The other half will go to lining their pockets. People like Ferguson have been quiet about their cancerous hold on the club because they're being paid off in lucrative shares worth millions of dollars. The overall reduction of interest from this IPO is around £4 million a year, which is tiny, when put into perspective.

And the figure of shares the club are selling is a misnomer, the Glazers retain 98% of voting rights at the club, they control it's future direction which make no mistake, will be more debt, and more leveraging of the club's assets to line their own pockets and cover their catastrophic losses in business elsewhere.

Arnie

Van Persie will be so godlike at Juventus. I've questioned how he expects to go to another club and receive the same level of service as he did at Arsenal, but if there's one place I have complete confidence in him getting superlative service, it's ahead of Pirlo.

Liverpool's squad just lacks depth in most positions, goalkeeper, right back, and centre mid are fine, but new players in other positions would help over a long season, especially with the Europa League.

Reina
Doni
Jones

Skrtel
Agger
Coates
Kelly
Carragher
Wilson
Sama
Wisdom

Johnson
Kelly
Flanagan

Enrique
Robinson

Lucas
Spearing
Coady

Gerrard
Henderson
Shelvey
Lucas
Suso
Adam

Borini
Suarez
Bellamy
Sterling
Downing
Cole
Gerrard

Suarez
Borini
Bellamy

Italics are players who I wouldn't feel comfortable with for more than the odd game, either because they're not old enough, not good enough, or needed in other positions. Looking at it like that, unless we have a replacement lined up, getting rid of Carroll is pretty silly from a depth perspective. Desperately need a decent backup DM (preferably able to play in CM as well,) a couple of players to play on the 'wings,' and preferably a back-up left back. Robinson is both young and seemingly injury-prone

Zabojnik

You're all so jixing it. I don't trust City. At all. They are being too quiet and careful. They're behaving almost like a real club would. Something's definitely up.

dc89

You're all so jixing it. I don't trust City. At all. They are being too quiet and careful. They're behaving almost like a real club would. Something's definitely up.

It's a shock to the system. But maybe City are taking FFP very seriously?

Kyoufu

Isn't this the last year they can throw money at players before the FFP comes into play?

And even then, I can't see FIFA banning big clubs from European competitions.

Arnie

I'm sure all clubs are, but it's overtly clear that the deluge of shithouses parked at your club on astronomical wages are currently preventing you from making signings, not a great Graham Carr-esque search for maximum value.

LegoArmo

You really don't get it.

The Glazers made a complete u-turn in how they're distributing the proceeds of this IPO. They made it sound like the proceeds would go to paying down debt, but in fact only half of the proceeds will. The other half will go to lining their pockets. People like Ferguson have been quiet about their cancerous hold on the club because they're being paid off in lucrative shares worth millions of dollars. The overall reduction of interest from this IPO is around £4 million a year, which is tiny, when put into perspective.

And the figure of shares the club are selling is a misnomer, the Glazers retain 98% of voting rights at the club, they control it's future direction which make no mistake, will be more debt, and more leveraging of the club's assets to line their own pockets and cover their catastrophic losses in business elsewhere.

I think I do, the Glazers are oops, they lie, we all get that, but they own the club, and they can sell what they own, and they can keep the money, I don't have a problem with that. It isn't money that belongs to the club, it's theirs, surely? The "value" of a club is only it's assets and what it has the potential to make, right? It's not really tangible and it doesn't go away when you sell shares of it.

If they did lower the debt, the value of the club would increase, and they could sell, and make themselves some money that way, but they obviously think this is better for them.

Seriously, they have nothing at all to gain from the club not being profitable, and not being successful, I think they know what they're doing, more so than me, and more so than most anyone on the internet.

The_Hitcher89///Stark FC
Wilbury///JTbury FC
PrematureQuiche///PrematureQuiche FC
Arnie///LSD Eindhoven
elseanio/// Sporting Lisbonjela
BLSwagger10///Puff Puff Shoot
Joe///Holy Cannoli
Jeff Albertson///Jeff FC
Vivarazala///Vivalaraza
Awesome Animals///JTgate
choodi///Fatman United (choodi)
odd_morsel///Bacon of Hope FC
Spanish Wrath///Vuvuzela BRRRRFC
kharma45///Leave My Arcelona
Anderson///UnAthletic FC
Swance///Swance's Sexy Squad
WoodenLung///Voyeurs Young Boys
the walrus///TheWalrus
LegoArmo///BASED-in-Newcastle
WJD///WJD FC
Kylehimself///kylehimself
PaulLFC///Racing AbbeyNational

Keio///FC Voitto
Snoopen///Arse FC
Mastadon///Dyslexia Untied

22 definites, 3 maybes. Join us, you melon farmers

Kyoufu

When I had avatar questions when I first joined he replied to me in like a minute & encouraged me to continue if I needed to ask anything. Top quality guy.

Guess he hates me. Which is nothing new!

Anyway, does anyone else agree that the transfer window should open in June and end in the first week of August? That way you know what you have when the season starts.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
but if there's one place I have complete confidence in him getting superlative service, it's ahead of Pirlo.

Don't forget the three musketeers.
AZrhM.gif

IX8rC.jpg

25 goals and 15 assists between them.
AZrhM.gif

..and Giovinco with his 11 assists, I guess.

Guess he hates me. Which is nothing new!

Anyway, does anyone else agree that the transfer window should open in June and end in the first week of August? That way you know what you have when the season starts.

Maybe in years without the Euros or a World Cup. But then you've got Copa Americas, and soon African Cup of Nations to worry about. That's like a month at a time where high profile players are generally out of the picture in terms of negotiations and discussions with other clubs

EatChildren managed to ignore me pretty well when asking about email addresses. I wasn't exactly helpful I guess. Speaking of which... How are you guys signed up to GAF? I'm still on my uni email which closes at the end of the month..

Any football on TV tonight?

bjaelke

The_Hitcher89///Stark FC
Wilbury///JTbury FC
PrematureQuiche///PrematureQuiche FC
Arnie///LSD Eindhoven
elseanio/// Sporting Lisbonjela
BLSwagger10///Puff Puff Shoot
Joe///Holy Cannoli
Jeff Albertson///Jeff FC
Vivarazala///Vivalaraza
Awesome Animals///JTgate
choodi///Fatman United (choodi)
odd_morsel///Bacon of Hope FC
Spanish Wrath///Vuvuzela BRRRRFC
kharma45///Leave My Arcelona
Anderson///UnAthletic FC
Swance///Swance's Sexy Squad
WoodenLung///Voyeurs Young Boys
the walrus///TheWalrus
LegoArmo///BASED-in-Newcastle
WJD///WJD FC
Kylehimself///kylehimself
PaulLFC///Racing AbbeyNational

Keio///FC Voitto
Snoopen///Arse FC
Mastadon///Dyslexia Untied

22 definites, 3 maybes. Join us, you melon farmers
Free or paid?

EatChildren managed to ignore me pretty well when asking about email addresses. I wasn't exactly helpful I guess. Speaking of which... How are you guys signed up to GAF? I'm still on my uni email which closes at the end of the month..

Elseanio set my account up for me, although I've now switched to my ISP email :p

I have my college email as well. But my university doesn't close those, just transfers them to another service or something. Lucky me.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Mino Raiola just entered Juve's HQ, with Ouasim Bouy.

Someone hold me..

Women's football starting.

France vs Colombia at Sports Direct.

USA vs North Korea at Old Trafford.

It's either this or continue listening to Sharapova play tennis.

Yen

Best gif all year:
http://i.minus.com/i3tNYXKbbqH9y.gif
It's from DKR and features Michael Caine nodding. Surely not a spoiler, but better be safe than sorry.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Some mutterings that Spurs are looking at Lyon's Cissokho as BAE is having some kind of contractual dispute with the club. If there's one player I would pay anything to keep it's Benny.

I think I do, the Glazers are oops, they lie, we all get that, but they own the club, and they can sell what they own, and they can keep the money, I don't have a problem with that. It isn't money that belongs to the club, it's theirs, surely? The "value" of a club is only it's assets and what it has the potential to make, right? It's not really tangible and it doesn't go away when you sell shares of it.

If they did lower the debt, the value of the club would increase, and they could sell, and make themselves some money that way, but they obviously think this is better for them.

Seriously, they have nothing at all to gain from the club not being profitable, and not being successful, I think they know what they're doing, more so than me, and more so than most anyone on the internet.
No.

It's not theirs it's ours and they stole it from us.

And this is the reason I have a big problem with it. As I said in the article, it's a tiny bit of good news but the bad news outweighs the good. The club has just lost 20% of itself at a knock down price. That can't be good. Not in any way shape or form.

We are going on as we are...and I don't think that's a good boat to be on.

As for they know what they're doing...everyone knows what they're doing until they get it wrong. Glazer's have got it wrong, that's why they're doing this. In normal business terms this is a crazy decision.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom