• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

bone_and_sinew

breaking down barriers in gratuitous nudity
That tournament in Miami is going to be one hell of a tournament

• Manchester United,
• Manchester City,
• Liverpool,
• Tottenham Hotspur,
• AS Roma,
• Boca Juniors,
• Hamburg
• Ajax,
• Santos,
• Benfica
• And others.
tumblr_m7772p6K0Z1qdq433.jpg

God, fuck Qatar for bribing their way to a WC. If the U.S. had gotten it there'd have been some games here for sure.
If the MLS came back I would support the new team too.

Kyoufu

Our 2 young french players (Amalfitano and Abeid) scored against Gateshead today for the reserve team.

Abeid is only 19 and looks almost ready to break into the first team. I really like these youngsters we have now.

So The Mirror say that when Moyes went over to Wooden's team to watch Oviedo he ran into a scout from MUFC.

So maybe Everton can keep Baineses and we can get Oviedo. I don't know anything about Oviedo at all I even had to google how to spell his name but I'll take that just because it'll piss Wooden off quite a bit.

Our 2 young french players (Amalfitano and Abeid) scored against Gateshead today for the reserve team.

Abeid is only 19 and looks almost ready to break into the first team. I really like these youngsters we have now.
It's happening.

You've finally got to the "hmm our youngsters look quite good tbh" stage of the transfer window.

They'll all be looking like Messi's soon.

Kyoufu

So, how will Arsenal do this season with Podolski and Giroud on the squad? Top 3 in the Premiership?

Really depends on how strong Chelsea, Tottenham etc are. Can't really predict anything until we see if all these new signings can settle in and make an impact.

But, I wouldn't rule them out of a top 4 finish again.

Salvadora

Really depends on how strong Chelsea, Tottenham etc are. Can't really predict anything until we see if all these new signings can settle in and make an impact.

But, I wouldn't rule them out of a top 4 finish again.

I'd say I was less nervous than last year but you never know. Chelsea look like they could be quite a force & I wouldn't rule Tottenham out.

Any team that doesn't have the midfield contribute with the goals will struggle for success. The last time we challenged for the league title, Fabregas had something like half a dozen goals by late September. Arsenal have never been known to be a defensively tight unit, but the lack of goal scoring midfielders in the form of Pires and Ljunberg meant defensive errors were more decisive to their results than previous seasons.

Aside from Walcott, I can't see where the goals there will come from.

The other major concern for me was, probably due to a lack of Fabregas and Wilshere, we were painfully absent of creativity at an alarming rate. The combination play in possession had gushed out of the window; it was like watching a different team.

Lightning

Banned
So, how will Arsenal do this season with Podolski and Giroud on the squad? Top 3 in the Premiership?
Impossible to answer until we are finished in the transfer market. Cazorla looks to be on his way and maybe some more so hard to know until we find out what our final squad will be like.

Top 4 is minimum as fuck the Europa league....

Kyoufu

I'd say I was less nervous than last year but you never know. Chelsea look like they could be quite a force & I wouldn't rule Tottenham out.

You never know. Chelsea and Tottenham could both find themselves on the wrong end of where they want to be if their signings don't work out the way they want them to.

I would be happy with a top 6 finish and ecstatic with a trophy. Europa League or FA Cup would be mint.

Scum

You never know. Chelsea and Tottenham could both find themselves on the wrong end of where they want to be if their signings don't work out the way they want them to.

I would be happy with a top 6 finish and ecstatic with a trophy. Europa League or FA Cup would be mint.

You'll have to make do with a CoC trophy instead.

elsk

Banned
primero viva mexico y despues viva honduras. :p

anyways, I want a brazzy meltdown elsk so beat brazil and make them feel like shit just like GB did to suarez and co.

What happened to Marco Fabián btw? I didn't watch the México matches but he hasn't scored right? I thought he was going to be the bomb in the Olympics.

Btw, Roger Espinoza (our CM) has been amazing. Specially against Spain. He could easily play in a medium-size european club, I hope someone makes an offer for him!

Arnie

I'd be more confident if I was an Arsenal fan than if I was a Chelsea or Spurs fan, at this moment in time. Arsenal are signing quality players and have an experienced manager to implement them.

Chelsea have lacked any sort of cohesion so far (to be expected), and I really think the pressure of RDM being permanent manager will affect the team's performances, it's not as if they were flying in the league at any point last season.

Spurs need strikers, and they need an adequate replacement for Modric, assuming he goes. On top of that they're going to be implementing wholesale changes in the way they play, as well as being the first season for them in which they've publicly stated their goal is to challenge for the title. Mammoth ask, in my opinion. Gylfi looks an excellent signing though, haven't seen near enough of Vertonghen yet; he conceded a penalty last night but even the best defenders make mistakes.

Just finished Episode 2 of The Walking Dead Telltale game, fucking fantastic. Love these games, and they're the perfect length in terms of single player for me. I can complete them in a couple of sittings, and they don't require a brain numbing amount of time to play. Can inject them into my evenings as I stick to 30 minute Battlefield/Fifa sessions for the majority of my gaming time.

Fry

Fuck him, Carroll II.
I'm hoping to see Mandzukic as our main striker this season. He looked very good in the pre-season.

Actually Gomez is older, so you should call Carroll 'Gomez II'. :p

Gomez will prove you wrong. U'll see!

Arnie

Fucking hell, I'd swap Gomez for Carroll any day of the week.

Very questionable article from Daniel Taylor once again at the Guardian, wrote a piece saying Suarez condemned the fans for booing him, but he didn't, he condemned those booing during the national anthem and said they'd gone too far. It's disgraceful really, and yet another overt example of him being mistreated. I get fans complaints with him, but when you've got national newspapers rallying against him it's unacceptable.

elsk

Banned
Actually Gomez is older, so you should call Carroll 'Gomez II'. :p

Gomez will prove you wrong. U'll see!

He proved me right in the CL final, and in the Dortmund matches and pretty much in almost every time we faced a team with solid defense.

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
What happened to Marco Fabián btw? I didn't watch the México matches but he hasn't scored right? I thought he was going to be the bomb in the Olympics.

Btw, Roger Espinoza (our CM) has been amazing. Specially against Spain. He could easily play in a medium-size european club, I hope someone makes an offer for him!

our dumbass coach Luis Tena has instructed him to play more defensive than make or do offensive plays. dude is totally scur.

anyways, espinoza should be signed by Club Leon (MEX). He'll fit right in and win titles. Then make his way to europe.

Fucking hell, I'd swap Gomez for Carroll any day of the week.

Very questionable article from Daniel Taylor once again at the Guardian, wrote a piece saying Suarez condemned the fans for booing him, but he didn't, he condemned those booing during the national anthem and said they'd gone too far. It's disgraceful really, and yet another overt example of him being mistreated. I get fans complaints with him, but when you've got national newspapers rallying against him it's unacceptable.
Daniel Taylor regularly makes clear mistakes. I dont know how he's the Guardians chief football writer, it happens so often and tbh, something like that tonight, I don't know how he gets that wrong. I saw several tweets about it on my TL and I find it hard to believe Taylor doesn't know the same as everyone else does.

Salazar

Very questionable article from Daniel Taylor once again at the Guardian, wrote a piece saying Suarez condemned the fans for booing him, but he didn't

Eh, I think it's just a badly formed sentence.

No question that he doesn't like Suarez, and no question that he lacks the professionalism to be in his position, though.

Arnie

Daniel Taylor regularly makes clear mistakes. I dont know how he's the Guardians chief football writer, it happens so often and tbh, something like that tonight, I don't know how he gets that wrong. I saw several tweets about it on my TL and I find it hard to believe Taylor doesn't know the same as everyone else does.

It's a genuine disgrace. I know I get uptight about Suarez, but I try to let most of it slide on here because of the mob mentality that a lot of you buy into, and so forth, but I cannot accept it from the Guardian's chief football writer. I wish I could go on television and publicly outline why he's so wrong, and bring up moments in his past where he's been evidently wrong, too. He's a joke.

Eh, I think it's just a badly formed sentence.
No, it isn't, it's a badly formed article. In fact I don't even think it's badly formed on his part, I think he knew exactly what he was doing: taking Suarez's comments out of context to paint him out as this guy who'll criticise anyone that boos, thus strengthening a neutral's dislike for the guy.

Suarez didn't say people shouldn't boo him, he said they shouldn't boo during the national anthems, which is absolutely correct. The article doesn't read like that at all.

Kyoufu

It's a genuine disgrace. I know I get uptight about Suarez, but I try to let most of it slide on here because of the mob mentality that a lot of you buy into, and so forth, but I cannot accept it from the Guardian's chief football writer. I wish I could go on television and publicly outline why he's so wrong, and bring up moments in his past where he's been evidently wrong, too. He's a joke.

A lot of the time we are just joking, like how we rag on Carroll, Gomez and everyone else.

Arnie

A lot of the time we are just joking, like how we rag on Carroll, Gomez and everyone else.

Speak for yourself, but there's genuine hatred for Suarez, whereas I don't think there is for the others mentioned.

"Luis Suarez criticises fans after Team GB play Uruguay" is a headline that misrepresents the entire situation in a way which furthers the narrative of Suarez as a villain to the people. It's, as I say, a disgrace.

Actually I was really surprised to learn they were booing the anthem. I mean it's obv not right and we've had a big deal made of it in the past in this country...but more than that because the atmosphere has been so dull at the games I just didn't think people would be bothered enough to boo an anthem, especially at a very un-tribal event like the Olympics. Quite strange.

Jabo

So how about that Insigne huh? Has he been crowned Serie A Young Footballer of the Year yet? Heck I fucking hate Napoli and I'm excited to see what he's going to do this season.

Arnie

The great irony being that these people are supposedly booing Suarez for his racist behaviour, and in the process booing an entire nation's anthem in the process. They're a disgrace to the team who won tonight, to be honest.
So how about that Insigne huh? Has he been crowned Serie A Young Footballer of the Year yet? Heck I fucking hate Napoli and I'm excited to see what he's going to do this season.
Will he play centre midfield, or slot into Lavezzi's vacant position?

Salazar

The "you hate me cos I'm talented" line seems woefully ill-advised.

I mean, he's coming out ethically on top compared to mugs who would boo during an anthem. But christ.

Arnie

The "you hate me cos I'm talented" line seems woefully ill-advised.

It's the go to reaction, I suppose, and the only way the player can rationalise it themselves. A bit like when Ronaldo used to say it, despite the boos originating from his play acting and how he connived to have Rooney sent off in Euro 2004.

Read the Taylor article. Sensationalist headline and opening sentence, hides the context in the supporting paragraphs. The Grauniad's football section often reads like a tabloid rag these days, so not all that shocking. How the hell did he become their chief football writer though? There's literally dozens of senior people there, or at least it feels that way.

Ronaldo embraced the boos and relished it though, very much helped by Ferguson. I'm not sure Suarez has done the same yet, I think it bothers him at times.

I just don't think he helps himself. He is treated harshly but firstly, like with Ronaldo, with reason. The reaction is OTT and maybe he hasn't even done that much wrong but whatever you have to let that slide because it's gone now. Beyond that he isn't helping his own cause IMO. Like Ronaldo the best thing to do is to get his head down and play and shut fans up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom