• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

I think that spot has been taken by Pandev LOL (not sure but based on the friendlies) so he's slotting into Pandev's vacant position on the bench.

Pandev's playing in the front three? Dear lord. Get out of their Cavani, come to a country that boos the Uruguayan national anthem.

Ronaldo embraced the boos and relished it though, very much helped by Ferguson. I'm not sure Suarez has done the same yet, I think it bothers him at times.

I just don't think he helps himself. He is treated harshly but firstly, like with Ronaldo, with reason. The reaction is OTT and maybe he hasn't even done that much wrong but whatever you have to let that slide because it's gone now. Beyond that he isn't helping his own cause IMO. Like Ronaldo the best thing to do is to get his head down and play and shut fans up.
You say he isn't helping himself, but he's at a constant disadvantage with the likes of Taylor framing him in such a way, and tonight he was perfectly within his rights to remonstrate against what the people did.

Can you imagine if a journalist being similarly disingenuous towards Ronaldo? Ferguson would've castrated them and hung their shrivelled genitals on a plaque in the media room inside Old Trafford.

ATF487

Daniel Taylor is by far the worst writer at the Guardian. I think I've complained about him before in this thread actually, since I get most of my news from that site

Shahed

Our 2 young french players (Amalfitano and Abeid) scored against Gateshead today for the reserve team.

Abeid is only 19 and looks almost ready to break into the first team. I really like these youngsters we have now.

Thing is, I've been fairly impressed with our younger players. The likes of Vuckic and Ferguson as well. Problem is they need game time.

We had an awesome last season, but because of that and trying to keep the momentum going, we pretty much had to play our best team whenever possible, with little chance to rest players. With Europe on the schedule, giving some players a break is a must. The younger players will get their chance.

But when do you play them? The League is our priority, and I'd be thrilled with another top 6 finish. But Europe is also big, and the senior players will want to play and not miss out. Which games do you rest them in?

It's one of the reasons I wouldn't mind it if we did get Carrol, as unlikely as it may be. It would give us variety in our style of play, and we all know we'll struggle again when the Demba's leave for a while

Arnie

Daniel Taylor is by far the worst writer at the Guardian. I think I've complained about him before in this thread actually, since I get most of my news from that site

You know that saying: it's not what you know, it's who you know. I get the impression that Taylor's only in his position because of such a resounding stroke of fate. That might be underselling the guy, I'm sure he's worked hard over his career, but I see no exceptional ability or nouse to put him in the position that he's in, other than that he wrote a book about Nottingham Forest.

I had a thought about writing a book the other day, I'd graduate next year, accumulate some funds and go on a big trip through the US (never been), chronicling the MLS as I go. It would basically be an English football fan's impressions of various aspects of Major League Soccer, mixed with interviews from people at various levels of the game.

Salazar

I see no exceptional ability or nouse to put him in the position that he's in, other than that he wrote a book about Nottingham Forest.

He might feel the same way. God knows I've looked down at a contract and thought "fuck, what powers do you think I possess ?"

They might not want him poached by Banned Paper or summat.

Future player of the year Bebe scored. He's scored in his last 3 games he's played. The man can't stop scoring.

Time is running out to get him out of the club before the season starts. I'm oddly resigned to Macheda being given a fringe spot.

Times are reporting Cazorla and Sahin will be Arsenal players within 48 hours. Sahin better not be on a permenant deal. Anyhow that is going to be an incredible midfield...and if they get M'Vila too...surely they won't now.

Arsenal just need some defenders now. They have good players up front although maybe nobody who is top class and a great midfield. Looks promising.

Salvadora

Times are reporting Cazorla and Sahin will be Arsenal players within 48 hours. Sahin better not be on a permenant deal. Anyhow that is going to be an incredible midfield...and if they get M'Vila too...surely they won't now.

Arsenal just need some defenders now. They have good players up front although maybe nobody who is top class and a great midfield. Looks promising.

This would be incredible & it would only be at the latest August 4th so lots of time to get more business done!

ATF487

You know that saying: it's not what you know, it's who you know. I get the impression that Taylor's only in his position because of such a resounding stroke of fate. That might be underselling the guy, I'm sure he's worked hard over his career, but I see no exceptional ability or nouse to put him in the position that he's in, other than that he wrote a book about Nottingham Forest.

I had a thought about writing a book the other day, I'd graduate next year, accumulate some funds and go on a big trip through the US (never been), chronicling the MLS as I go. It would basically be an English football fan's impressions of various aspects of Major League Soccer, mixed with interviews from people at various levels of the game.

Haha, I always thought he got there because he makes controversial headlines to get viewers on his articles. He was never clever enough to be on football weekly...

MLS book sounds like an interesting idea, I can only really add that you should see the country by driving. You get a better impression of the little cultural differences that way

K1LLER7

Time is running out to get him out of the club before the season starts. I'm oddly resigned to Macheda being given a fringe spot.
I'd rather we give Bebe a chance. He must have found it difficult to settle into English football, but during pre-season he was one of our best players.

Petrucci however, should be involved with the first team this season. Have him on the bench and give him cup games. Don't need him to pull a Pogba.

I'd rather we give Bebe a chance. He must have found it difficult to settle into English football, but during pre-season he was one of our best players.
I think Ramadan is getting to you mate.

I would love it if Bebe made it, but he is seriously terrible...

K1LLER7

I think Ramadan is getting to you mate.

I would love it if Bebe made it, but he is seriously terrible...
Lol

He has his negatives but I hope we give him one more chance this season. Play him in the carling cup and see how he goes. He might still be terrible but he's improved since that Wolves game.

^ I'll get one tomorrow with him and 50m :)
You'd take him at Newcastle. Obertan on one wing, Bebe on the other, Supplying Carroll in the middle with pin-point crosses. Definite top 4 finish.

rodvik

It's a genuine disgrace. I know I get uptight about Suarez, but I try to let most of it slide on here because of the mob mentality that a lot of you buy into, and so forth, but I cannot accept it from the Guardian's chief football writer. I wish I could go on television and publicly outline why he's so wrong, and bring up moments in his past where he's been evidently wrong, too. He's a joke.

No, it isn't, it's a badly formed article. In fact I don't even think it's badly formed on his part, I think he knew exactly what he was doing: taking Suarez's comments out of context to paint him out as this guy who'll criticise anyone that boos, thus strengthening a neutral's dislike for the guy.

Suarez didn't say people shouldn't boo him, he said they shouldn't boo during the national anthems, which is absolutely correct. The article doesn't read like that at all.

This is correct. No matter what you think of Suarez it is bullshit for GB fans to boo during the Uruguay national anthem.

Kyoufu

Lol

He has his negatives but I hope we give him one more chance this season. Play him in the carling cup and see how he goes. He might still be terrible but he's improved since that Wolves game.

^ I'll get one tomorrow with him and 50m :)
You'd take him at Newcastle. Obertan on one wing, Bebe on the other, Supplying Carroll in the middle with pin-point crosses. Definite top 4 finish.

I gagged.

Shahed

We'd win the League playing like that, but it'd be unfair on everyone else.

Tell you what, we'll let anyone buy Obertan to give other teams a fighting chance :p

Salazar

Bebe will definitely go past very old, very young, or very technically incompetent defenders. And if the ball hits him in the area, he will lash at it with a 60% chance of it being on target.

These aren't the standards we want to encourage.

K1LLER7

Bebe will definitely go past very old, very young, or very technically incompetent defenders. And if the ball hits him in the area, he will lash at it with a 60% chance of it being on target.

These aren't the standards we want to encourage.
That's 60% better than Suarez :p

Kyoufu

But when do you play them? The League is our priority, and I'd be thrilled with another top 6 finish. But Europe is also big, and the senior players will want to play and not miss out. Which games do you rest them in?

It's one of the reasons I wouldn't mind it if we did get Carrol, as unlikely as it may be. It would give us variety in our style of play, and we all know we'll struggle again when the Demba's leave for a while

We have to rest them during capital one cup games. I expect to get knocked out of at least one cup early so that will lighten the load a bit.

We could probably sign Remy for less than Carroll but I wouldn't expect Senegal to qualify for the ACON anyway since they have to beat ivory coast.

Joe

2qKPb.png

Zabojnik

Forget it, I found it.

All I can say is I'm very happy for Milos!

Stick around, baby. We can do this together, you and I. We need you since knowing the courts Pepe will be banned for #30AnniDiCarcere

"So, Milos, I gotta say I'm impressed by how you bounced bac..."

"Hey, they just offered 8M€ for Krasic!"

"SOLD!"

So how about that Insigne huh? Has he been crowned Serie A Young Footballer of the Year yet? Heck I fucking hate Napoli and I'm excited to see what he's going to do this season.

I too hate Napoli and am excited to see Insigne in action. Preferably after the SuperCoppa, which I suppose Cavani will now be part of, since Uruguay are on their way home.

Balza. :D Love the design, but where's the sponsor?

elsk

Banned
Man, I just had a huge deja vú. I could swear I saw that 'traitor' jersey posted and the Dembele gif before. WHAT THE FUCK IS WRONG WITH ME

Salazar

Been traveling for work the last few days and had no real time to use the net. Any big news?

Conte is a naughty naughty man.
Nobody likes Suarez.
United like the look of Dembele but his agent sounds like a mug.
Liverpool are inching tediously towards Joe Allen.
Everyone wants Lucas Moura but nobody knows anything.
Aaron Ramsey might not be as ludicrously devoid of form as one might have supposed.
Arsenal might get both Cazorla and Sahin. Wenger could rehabilitate his transfer reputation in one go.

elsk

Banned
Conte is a naughty naughty man.
Nobody likes Suarez.
United like the look of Dembele but his agent sounds like a mug.
Liverpool are inching tediously towards Joe Allen.
Everyone wants Lucas Moura but nobody knows anything.
Aaron Ramsey might not be as ludicrously devoid of form as one might have supposed.
Arsenal might get both Cazorla and Sahin. Wenger could rehabilitate his transfer reputation in one go.

*Honduras eliminated Spain in the Olympics Football Tournament.

Salazar

And the world is so piteously in the dark about RVP that some Italian agent has been making things up that stretch even Banned Paper's credulity.

Zabojnik

You can add 'RVP moves to ManU' to that list. It's basically a done deal. No Moura = RVP to ManU. It's that easy. No one can convince me otherwise.

elsk

Banned
You can add 'RVP moves to ManU' to that list. It's basically a done deal. No Moura = RVP to ManU. It's that easy. No one can convince me otherwise.

TAKE GOMEZ FOR THE LOVE OF GOD THEN!

Hoeneß: "Mario Gomez is good, but not great".
Hoeneß on Gomez: "If he were very good, we would be CL winners"

Salazar

I agree that it's looking strangely plausible, but I can't picture it.

Should be fucking lethal with fitness and good service. And we should be able to rotate Welbeck* and Chicha for an adequate number of games if we stay in the cups.

*He'll be a restless sod if we don't.

Really? I'm far from convinced that Ferguson would replace an ageing striker on big wages with another ageing striker on even bigger wages. Van Persie is a massive gamble with his injury record. There's no resale value on a player like that either. United have never made a transfer like this before. The logical explanation is that they want to make City pay as much as possible for him.

Salazar

I don't think there's much strategic or even superficial psychological value in pushing City to cough up a few million here or there.

I think Baines is off.

I think Dembele is on if and when the Moura* and RVP attempts sink.

*Already sunk, I daresay. His club want Spanish or French money.

Very questionable article from Daniel Taylor once again at the Guardian, wrote a piece saying Suarez condemned the fans for booing him, but he didn't, he condemned those booing during the national anthem and said they'd gone too far. It's disgraceful really, and yet another overt example of him being mistreated. I get fans complaints with him, but when you've got national newspapers rallying against him it's unacceptable.

At the GB game? I heard no booing during the anthem. Very well observed where I was sitting. The atmosphere was more pantomime booing during the game as well. It's only the Olympic Footy after all.

dc89

Fuck RVP. He's derailing what is so far a very successful transfer window for us....

Yeah RVP Saga is becoming a joke, and I think it's dawned on me.

He's a 29 year old that no one is actually busting a gut to sign. Sure City, United & Juve would take him if the price is right, but they are not going out of there way to actively sign him ASAP.

Slizz

Yeah RVP Saga is becoming a joke, and I think it's dawned on me.

He's a 29 year old that no one is actually busting a gut to sign. Sure City, United & Juve would take him if the price is right, but they are not going out of there way to actively sign him ASAP.

It's always been like that. Look through last years Football threads pertaining to RvP. Even Arsenal fans are saying its almost fluke like his last season, especially with no injuries.

Then he goes cold about 3/4th's thru the last season and carries it into the Euro's.

Can't remember a complete season RvP has had at that quality forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom