• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The 15th? What the fuck! That's a few days after losing to Napoli in the Supercoppa Italiana!
How do you miss out Kagawa and the "next Xavi" Cleverly :)

Fergie and Gill were in London Yesterday, maybe to have talks.

Yeah I stealth-added ClevGod but forgot all about Kagawa!

Arnie

Had a 10 hour kip and I'm still livid with Daniel Taylor; my angry tweet to him last night was retweeted a few times in the interim too, it looks like many people are similarly irritated.

We play Gomel tonight, and guess what channel it's on? Fucking premiersports, whatever the hell that is. Costs £10 for a month, and you have to sign up for a minimum of two. So that's £20 to watch Rodgers first competitive match, fuck that. If I wasn't stranded in the middle of the countryside I'd go find a pub, but as it is I'll have to find a stroppy stream on a rural quality internet connection.

I'm with Bungie, RVP to United makes little sense, as does RVP to City (which unarguably makes even less sense). Juventus are the only destination that really need him enough to forego his slight negatives (injury record, age, inflated price relative to contract).

Yen

Had a 10 hour kip and I'm still livid with Daniel Taylor; my angry tweet to him last night was retweeted a few times in the interim too, it looks like many people are similarly irritated.

Pundit Watch ‏@PunditWatch_
I find Suarez an unsavoury character,but @DTguardian failing to condemn/address booing of Uruguay's anthem is puzzling.

daniel taylor ‏@DTguardian
@PunditWatch_ you're not the only one who's got it wrong, in fairness

What a dick

Zamparini: When I arrived I made a promise to the fans of Palermo saying that in 3 years we'd go to Serie A & it happened & I'm happy to have given this joy to the Rosanero population. Now think & promise that in 4 years Palermo will go to Champions League.

:lol

Good luck with that while constantly giving away all the best players and replacing them with south american kids.

Arnie

What a dick

He's a class A tit.

I think what he means is that the fans didn't boo the national anthem, per se, but they booed during it when Suarez appeared on the video screen. Regardless, that's what Suarez objected to, not being booed during the match, which the article clearly doesn't reflect.

I'd love to see Daniel Taylor out and about so I could give him a piece of my mind and see him squirm for a response. He hides on Twitter and only chooses to respond to those he feels he can argue down.

I have to say this did give me a giggle earlier.

@briankettle said:
Here's the kind of snide demonisation that passes for journalism at a UK broadsheet when it's in the hands of a (cont)

PaulLFC

We play Gomel tonight, and guess what channel it's on? Fucking premiersports, whatever the hell that is. Costs £10 for a month, and you have to sign up for a minimum of two. So that's £20 to watch Rodgers first competitive match, fuck that. If I wasn't stranded in the middle of the countryside I'd go find a pub, but as it is I'll have to find a stroppy stream on a rural quality internet connection.

I'm with Bungie, RVP to United makes little sense, as does RVP to City (which unarguably makes even less sense). Juventus are the only destination that really need him enough to forego his slight negatives (injury record, age, inflated price relative to contract).
If anyone wanted to know what the definition of an agenda is, they only have to read a few of Taylor's articles. He's the worst journalist I've seen in a long time, and considering the general level of journalism in this country, someone would have to work hard to stand out as markedly worse - Taylor manages it with ease.

Have just been reading through the last few pages of the thread and I think what you said about him getting his position (chief football writer, really?) out of luck and knowing the right people is spot on. I've thought exactly the same myself every time I've read one of his pieces - the vast majority of them could be written by anyone with a reasonable grasp of football, except they'd almost certainly be better in that case as they likely wouldn't have the bitter agenda that permeates nearly every one of his articles.

Edit: Hahaha, he's blocked me on Twitter. Doesn't like criticism does Daniel. Prefers to spend his time writing about Suarez instead.

Pachimari

Florentino is the one who has to approve the signs. He's been fooled by Mou enough. Or do you think that Pardeza and José Ángel Sánchez have something to do?

And the fact is that Cazorla didn't reject us, he wanted to come, but Roig didn't want him to leave Villareal. He put Cazorla under big pressure.

Fooled by Mou? Mourinho isn't fooling anyone here, he's repairing out club from within.

Sound like Daniel Taylor is in meltdown.

Almost as funny as the Sachin Nakrani vs MUFC fans episode...which also come about due to irresponsible reporting from a Guardian football writer.

Arnie

I have to say this did give me a giggle earlier.

Retweeted that before, mentioned last night about analysing just why his piece was out of order, but Kettle's little outline did it perfectly. Ending bit was right too, hope the likes of Tony Evans make sure fleet street know exactly how poor he is.
Have just been reading through the last few pages of the thread and I think what you said about him getting his position (chief football writer, really?) out of luck and knowing the right people is spot on. I've thought exactly the same myself every time I've read one of his pieces - the vast majority of them could be written by anyone with a reasonable grasp of football, except they'd almost certainly be better in that case as they likely wouldn't have the bitter agenda that permeates nearly every one of his articles.

It really is strange, he just doesn't have any exceptional qualities to qualify him in his position, at his age. I read a question and answer series with a Guardian football writer the other day, and he mentioned how favourably he looks upon Taylor's features, regarding them as something special, or noteworthy. Then I read a few of Taylor's features and was gobsmacked at how average, and unspectacular they were. This was meant to be the man's one redeeming skill and I was fairly certain I could've at the very least matched his output. Mystifying to say the least.

Almost as funny as the Sachin Nakrani vs MUFC fans episode...which also come about due to irresponsible reporting from a Guardian football writer.
Sachin Nakrani's another one who strikes me as fortunate to be in his position. Everything I've ever read from him has been either wildly inaccurate or just poorly presented.

I've read Daniel Taylor's piece and it's a nothing article. It's also seemingly factually accurate. What's the problem again?
Slants it as Suarez being against the crowd for booing him, when he wasn't, he was against the crowd booing during the Uruguay national anthem.

Sachin Nakrani's another one who strikes me as fortunate to be in his position. Everything I've ever read from him has been either wildly inaccurate or just poorly presented.
He went to my high school!

Tbh, not really read or followed much of his work but I won't be able to respect anything he writes after the episode which caused a stir before.

He actually posted that Chelsea fan Nazi salute picture and suggested it was from this year's semi final. How on earth he thought he'd get away with that I do not know.

PaulLFC

I've read Daniel Taylor's piece and it's a nothing article. It's also seemingly factually accurate. What's the problem again?
It's certainly not factually accurate. "Luis Suárez has angrily criticised the supporters who targeted him for sustained abuse" - he did no such thing. All he did was criticised the booing of the Uruguayan national anthem, which was disgraceful and he was fully justified to cricicise it.

What's he saying? I can't see it as I've been blocked, you're not allowed to criticse him you see. I can just imagine him sitting at his computer reading his Twitter timeline, repeating "MY ARTICLES ARE PERFECT!" while hitting the block button over and over.

Salazar

Made Suarez seem chippier than he actually was in this instance, I guess.

I don't particularly comprehend the idea of just booing him in general. Wait for him to do something that deserves opprobrium. Because he will. He's a nasty wind-up-merchant with contempt for his fellow professionals.

Retweeted that before, mentioned last night about analysing just why his piece was out of order, but Kettle's little outline did it perfectly. Ending bit was right too, hope the likes of Tony Evans make sure fleet street know exactly how poor he is.

It really is strange, he just doesn't have any exceptional qualities to qualify him in his position, at his age. I read a question and answer series with a Guardian football writer the other day, and he mentioned how favourably he looks upon Taylor's features, regarding them as something special, or noteworthy. Then I read a few of Taylor's features and was gobsmacked at how average, and unspectacular they were. This was meant to be the man's one redeeming skill and I was fairly certain I could've at the very least matched his output. Mystifying to say the least.

Slants it as Suarez being against the crowd for booing him, when he wasn't, he was against the crowd booing during the Uruguay national anthem.

I see, a wider interpretation of the context in which he said "a total lack of respect". Common sensationalist skew to fill some column space. Is this mild sensationalism really worth the ire? Does DT have a repeated agenda against Liverpool, Liverpool players or Suarez?

PaulLFC said:
It's certainly not factually accurate. "Luis Suárez has angrily criticised the supporters who targeted him for sustained abuse" - he did no such thing. All he did was criticised the booing of the Uruguayan national anthem, which was disgraceful and he was fully justified to cricicise it.

I disagree. They may do what they will since he's a performer, an athlete and they've paid to watch him and his contemporaries compete. They didn't do it to intentionally disrespect Uruguay. He's made a rod for his back in the eyes of th English public, not just in relation to the Evra incident.

I agree with Salazar though, boo him when he does something worth booing. Won't take long.

Fooled by Mou? Mourinho isn't fooling anyone here, he's repairing out club from within.

No.

Mourinho is taking control of all the club statements, and when he leaves, that will tear us apart.

What's more, how can you call repair the club from within situations like the finger in Tito's eye, or the Unicef bullshit, or the list of 13 ref mistakes? Complaining about fixatures, grass, etc...

How in the fucking world that is repairing the club? Mourinho has ripped off the image Real Madrid had. Now we are seen as violent thugs and crybabies.

Don't you dare tell me that Mourinho is repairing the club.

Mourinho is a great coach and I'm thank to him we have won La Liga again, but that man doesn't deserve to wear this badge in his chest.

1530759-304107.jpg

What this badge represent goes beyond winning titles. It's about the image. The good image.

As our anthem says:

Enemigo en la contienda
Cuando pierde da la mano
Sin envidias ni rencores
Como buen y fiel hermano

Salazar

Does DT have a repeated agenda against Liverpool, Liverpool players or Suarez?

If anything, the Guardian's hamfisted line in "United EMPIRE CRUMBLING after home draw" pieces smacks of a not insubstantial institutional prejudice against us.

Does Taylor support Utd? Lol

Nope. And he is, in tune with Arnie's apprehension of his total lack of footballing intelligence, fucking clueless about how we play.

PaulLFC

I see, a wider interpretation of the context in which he said "a total lack of respect". Common sensationalist skew to fill some column space. Is this mild sensationalism really worth the ire? Does DT have a repeated agenda against Liverpool, Liverpool players or Suarez?
Why is he making a wider interpretation of it though, when it's perfectly clear in what context Suarez meant the comments? Every other journalist who's written about what he said seems to have grasped that he was talking about the national anthem and not the booing of him personally, Taylor is either unable to see that or unwilling to.

Arnie

Yes, it does deserve the ire, because this is the chief football writer of one of Britain's most popular broadsheets. And he's demonstrated his agenda in the past.

The easiest way to understand how it would irk a Liverpool fan is to compare the article to the BBC's. It's laughable.

PaulLFC

I disagree. They may do what they will since he's a performer, an athlete and they've paid to watch him and his contemporaries compete. They didn't do it to intentionally disrespect Uruguay. He's made a rod for his back in the eyes of th English public, not just in relation to the Evra incident.
But Suarez wasn't talking about the booing of himself. He was talking about the booing of the Uruguayan national anthem. That's what Taylor doesn't seem to get. Not once did Suarez mention the lack of respect being related to the fans booing him.

But Suarez wasn't talking about the booing of himself. He was talking about the booing of the Uruguayan national anthem. That's what Taylor doesn't seem to get. Not once did he mention the lack of respect being related to the fans booing him.

Well either Suarez misunderstood they were purely booing at him and not at the Uruguayan national anthem or he thinks that doing so automatically disrespects the anthem. Not sure I can support him on the latter.

It's only fair to boo at both the national anthem and Suarez. Maybe even throw beer on him. Well ok maybe not throwing beer at him, but it would be hard to hold yourself back.

PaulLFC

Well either Suarez misunderstood they were purely booing at him and not at the Uruguayan national anthem or he thinks that doing so automatically disrespects the anthem. Not sure I can support him on the latter.
I really don't understand. They were booing Suarez when he had the ball - that is almost expected now, and he didn't once comment about that. They also booed when the Uruguayan national anthem was being played before the game - that is unacceptable and was what Suarez was commenting on.

I don't really know how I can make my thoughts clearer than that. Why is it okay to boo the national anthem?

Arnie

Why is it okay to boo the national anthem?

In fairness, they didn't boo the anthem, per se. They booed Suarez during the anthem, which is still equally unacceptable, and what Suarez objected to after the game. Don't blame LS for not understanding, perhaps he read the Guardian article.

Daniel Taylor is not a Manchester United fan.

He hates Liverpool.

Which to Liverpool fans makes him a "manc".
Not really. On this very page there's clear, irrefutable evidence of his affection for United, so I don't know why you'd make such a bolshie statement.

Hixx

I really don't understand. They were booing Suarez when he had the ball - that is almost expected now, and he didn't once comment about that. They also booed when the Uruguayan national anthem was being played before the game - that is unacceptable and was what Suarez was commenting on.

I don't really know how I can make my thoughts clearer than that. Why is it okay to boo the national anthem?

they boo'd suarez cos his face was on the big screen. they weren't booing the national anthem being sung

wfjoqwjfopqwm-0

Labadal

Just watched the last 6 episodes(sessions) of Cowboy Bebop. It was a great series, but the last two sessions had me jizzing all over the place. Trying to get into anime, I think I made a huge mistake watching this series first. Don't know if anything will top it. Samurai Champloo will be the next in line. It will have a lot to live up to.

Less than 5 hours to our first competitive match of the season. I'll make myself some pizza and get myself high on some of Fady's Coke.

Because - and this is explicitly stated in both the DT article, the BBC article and it was very clear to me when I watched it on TV - the crowd were booing him whenever he came up on the big screen during the anthem. They were booing him, not the anthem. The boos only came up when the camera was on him.

Arnie said:
In fairness, they didn't boo the anthem, per se. They booed Suarez during the anthem, which is still equally unacceptable, and what Suarez objected to after the game. Don't blame LS for not understanding, perhaps he read the Guardian article.

I understand perfectly thanks. I don't understand the reaction, however. Nor do I agree your blanket assertion that it's not ok to boo during an anthem if it's to boo the player. Each to their own though.

GorillaJu

I remember reading an interview with Daniel Taylor. When asked "are you a Manchester United fan?" he replied "Only when they're playing Liverpool."

This is the man who also headlined articles "Kenny Dalglish plays dumb to salvage dignity" and referred to Suarez as a racist countless times during the Evra kerfuffle.

They boo'd during the national anthem. It doesn't matter if they were booing Suarez or not. You shouldn't boo during a national anthem. Fucking sheep.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom