• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
What is Radioheads influence?

Genuine question - like a few of their songs but I'm not a big fan, but I always hear that they're a legendary band with a legacy. Not doubting that, just wondering what it is exactly.

Yeah. And you put on a Britney Spears tune in a bar in 40 years and old folks will be singing it because they remember the pop diddies, not because it's actually good music. It's an irrelevant point. Like I said, Radiohead will be regarded as a band that shaped what music would become. Their influence is already unshakable. Oasis is just a decent band with a few good hits. Yeah, they're good for singing along in a bar and remembering the 90s, but unfortunately not much else.

*Bows*

Antonio Conte is literally going to be banned from football for over a year because in Italy you are guilty until proven innocent and the word of 23 people is outweighed by that of one who has been inconsistent and downright deceitful throughout his testimony.

Fuck the FIGC, fuck everything. Let's go play football in France.

Meier

And it's not that I dislike Radiohead.. I just can't stand the direction they moved in after OK Computer. Most of it is almost unlistenable to me despite having quite varied tastes.

They're still my 25th most listened to band in nearly the last 10 years according to last.fm -- but that's made up mostly from stuff released 15+ years ago. I've seen them twice live for the record and Thom Yorke solo once (his solo stuff is absolutely godawful but my fiancee wanted to go).

Took this pic back in March:

3f35858e680e11e180c9123138016265_7.jpg

Fry

Yeah. And you put on a Britney Spears tune in a bar in 40 years and old folks will be singing it because they remember the pop diddies, not because it's actually good music.

But Britney Spears makes good music.

Oasis is just a decent band with a few good hits. Yeah, they're good for singing along in a bar and remembering the 90s, but unfortunately not much else.

There's a lot wrong with that statement.

Arnie

I've got no clue what people mean when they discuss Radiohead's influence either.

Better lighting at live gigs?

Antonio Conte is literally going to be banned from football for over a year because in Italy you are guilty until proven innocent and the word of 23 people is outweighed by that of one who has been inconsistent and downright deceitful throughout his testimony.

I find this so unfathomably backwards.

LegoArmo

Miley Cyrus loves Radiohead. She says she was influenced by them.

I seriously don't know what they've done that's so special it's influenced anyone. I don't hear much boring men droning over slow music around.

ATF487

Halo's infinitely better than Half Life though. If Halo was a PC exclusive and Half Life launched on the original Xbox I think most would agree.

Oh goodness.

Well it depends what you want from a shooter, I guess. Combat is much more fun in Halo

GorillaJu

That's all true, except I don't love Oasis, I merely appreciate a few of their classics.

Halo's infinitely better than Half Life though. If Halo was a PC exclusive and Half Life launched on the original Xbox I think most would agree.

Really? Don't think so. Half Life resonates with people because of how perfectly metered all the elements of the game are.

Half Life treats you like an intelligent, curious human being. Halo treats you as an emotionally fragile southern bro.

Kyoufu

PSG would annihilate you. :p

Hixx

sometimes i hate discussions i create they always go on forever

They either die a hero or they live long enough to see them self become the villain.

aww yeah

Anyway let's talk about Ian Brown and how great he is in spite of his fucking awful singing.

Meier

Yeah. And you put on a Britney Spears tune in a bar in 40 years and old folks will be singing it because they remember the pop diddies, not because it's actually good music. It's an irrelevant point. Like I said, Radiohead will be regarded as a band that shaped what music would become. Their influence is already unshakable. Oasis is just a decent band with a few good hits. Yeah, they're good for singing along in a bar and remembering the 90s, but unfortunately not much else.

You might be right (I'm inclined to think otherwise as I don't think her music has much of an enduring quality), but your point was that Radiohead would remain relevant longer. How? Name me a song in their last 15 years that anyone is going to sing in the future? Nothing they're releasing these days has anything that will last and make people want to re-live it. What makes their music so influential? Nothing on the radio now sounds like Radiohead. You can't pick out many bands in England in the past 15+ years that has been successful that wasn't shaped in large part by britpop. The Arctic Monkeys formed to play oasis songs together -- that story is true for about two decades worth of bands.

The songs Radiohead are known for are Creep and Paranoid Android. To act as if they're somehow more relevant or that their music will last longer is asinine -- it won't. Those songs are great, but they're not beloved at the same level.

That's all true, except I don't love Oasis, I merely appreciate a few of their classics.

I love Halo an awful lot (got a framed Reach poster signed by Bungie!) but to say it's infinitely better than Half Life is ridiculous. Sorry Arnie.

Really? Don't think so. Half Life resonates with people because of how perfectly metered all the elements of the game are.

Half Life treats you like an intelligent, curious human being. Halo treats you as an emotionally fragile southern bro.

This is equally ridiculous.

Zabojnik

Conte's lawyers are try to dismantle the FIGC case, but I don't have high hopes at all
, its obvious that they want to target Juve, so they'll just dismiss everything.

In Italy sporting courts don't allow the defence to present evidence or cross examine the witnesses. Just like North Korea!

How could they possibly dismantle anything in 1 hour? ONE. HOUR. That's how much time the defense had. Ahahaha. The sentence is already written. 15 months, 7 months, it doesn't change anything. They wanted to get rid of Conte and they did precisely what they had to in order to make it happen. For now, at least. We'll see who'll have the last word. We're no bending over 2006-style this time.

Gotta give it to Palazzi though. A masterfully executed plan. Fake you're okay with a 3 months plea bargain, knowing in advance that the commission won't accept it, and meanwhile ask for 7 months in case the defense decides not to go with the plea and goes to trial. Then propose a new bargain, 5 months this time, knowing that Conte would never accept it and then DOUBLE the proposed sentence time to 15 months. Incredible.

Arnie

Oh goodness.

Well it depends what you want from a shooter, I guess. Combat is much more fun in Halo
Combat, artificial intelligence, weapon balance, enemy design. These are the most crucial elements when designing a first person shooter. Then you've got art style, which whilst Half Life isn't bad in, Halo excels at.

I appreciate how Valve tells stories, but I think their execution of that method was really, really poor in Half Life 2. I can see a serious improvement in how they succeed in telling a story through player participation with each game they release. Episode 2 was magnificent, Portal 1 and 2 similarly. Hell, even the L4D games are better at delivering the narrative than Half Life 2 is.

I've got many friends who've played it, all intelligent people, and few of them can tell me the basic story of Half Life 2 without looking at the internet, and this is a discussion I've had with them many times before. I think a lot of people wank Half Life 2s narrative off because it tried something new, not because it particularly succeeded at it.

And the perception that Halo's story is lowest common denominator bunkum is ill informed bandwagoning, it's a story predominantly about a religious alien collective who's zealous beliefs are compelling them to perform an act of suicide, essentially.

(got a framed Reach poster signed by Bungie!)
Jealous, man. Even if Reach's multiplayer was poo.

Hixx

Any rumours in the Italian press about Craig Gordon to Udinese? Canny happy if true, better than him going to an English club and rubbing his ability in our faces...

Halo's story is great. I actually went and got the books because I love the universe. Half Life 2's story is also great imo, I regularly stick god mode on and blitz through the game just to see the story and locales...

3Sixty

Any rumours in the Italian press about Craig Gordon to Udinese? Canny happy if true, better than him going to an English club and rubbing his ability in our faces...

Only thing he'll be rubbing is his groin after tearing it 5 mins into a game.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Palazzi is embarrassing himself LOL

A bizarre statement just now from prosecutor Stefano Palazzi which leads me to believe Antonio Conte *will* be found not guilty. When asked this afternoon about the statements of the Siena players who denied Conte was involved he said;

“We considered those testimonies to be irrelevant, even if they contrast what was previously said about Albinoleffe-Siena.

“The declarations of those present at the Siena team meeting are not credible because otherwise they’d be charged with failing to report sporting fraud. Therefore they cannot be used in the trial.”

Erm..... surely you need to either a) accept their word or b) charge them alongside Conte? You simply can't put your fingers in your ears & not listen surely?

-

PSG would annihilate you. :p

How? They're led by Ibra. We're his kryptonite.

Fry

You don't need to skip tracks from any Oasis album. Their case isn't the one of 'having a couple of good hits', they don't have one bad song.

Radiohead has a couple of great, great songs in the middle of a bunch of pretentious and boring suicide-inducing tracks.

Arnie

Does Randy Lerner own the Cleveland Browns who've just been bought for $1 billion?

Aston Villa transfer market splurge incoming?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
How could they possibly dismantle anything in 1 hour? ONE. HOUR. That's how much time the defense had. Ahahaha. The sentence is already written. 15 months, 7 months, it doesn't change anything. They wanted to get rid of Conte and they did precisely what they had to in order to make it happen. For now, at least. We'll see who'll have the last word. We're no bending over 2006-style this time.

Gotta give it to Palazzi though. A masterfully executed plan. Fake you're okay with a 3 months plea bargain, knowing in advance that the commission won't accept it, and meanwhile ask for 7 months in case the defense decides not to go with the plea and goes to trial. Then propose a new bargain, 5 months this time, knowing that Conte would never accept it and then DOUBLE the proposed sentence time to 15 months. Incredible.

FIGC, is the same institution that considered Inter's 100k wiretapes IRRELEVANT, and waited conveniently for the statue of limitation. Conte is already dead.

Italy is embarrassing.

Meier

GorillaJu

Meier where to start?

I'm on my iPhone and don't think my thumbs could type a worthy response, but I'll just say that 1) I don't think that people singing a catchy song makes that song relevant or better. Case in point: who is more sing-songy, Jimmy Buffet or Bob Dylan? The Black Eyed Peas, or the Walkmen? I could think of a hundred terrible musical groups who have managed to make unforgettable tunes, and plenty phenomenal ones who made music that is best listened to and not sung along to.

2) Influence is hard to point out: if you turn on the radio you won't hear a band that sounds exactly like Radiohead, but you'll hear people trying to use Thom Yorkes voice, or the same silky drum machines and droning guitars, and the same sonic balance that they've achieved so well on multiple albums.

Influence is a ground-up thing and is hard for me to point out directly. No one would say the Clash sound like the Ramones, but when they first formed they were copying the Ramones 1:1 and could easily be confused for a Ramones cover band. Despite a completely different sound, the Clash were so influenced by the Ramones you'd be forgiven if you thought it was the same group in the 70s, years before London Calling.

I probably feel similarly about Halo vs Half Life as I do Oasis vs Radiohead. Except that Halo was influenced by half life. Heavily.

Zabojnik

FIGC, is the same institution that considered Inter's 100k wiretapes IRRELEVANT, and waited conveniently for the statue of limitation. Conte is already dead.

Italy is embarrassing.

I hope some of our players, like Marchisio and Chiellini, consider boycotting the italian national team. It wouldn't be right of Juve to ask anyone to do that, obviously. I realize it's a lot to ask, since the players and Juve as a club have nothing to do with this farce, but it would be an amazing solidarity gesture towards Conte.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Real football in two hours? Save us Liverpool!
I hope some of our players, like Marchisio and Chiellini, consider boycotting the italian national team. It wouldn't be right of Juve to ask anyone to do that, obviously. I realize it's a lot to ask, since the players and Juve as a club have nothing to do with this farce, but it would be an amazing solidarity gesture towards Conte.

I think it's illegal or something. But I'm sure we can make up BS reasons to keep them with us. Legally, they can retire temporarily.

Anyway..

<3

GQman2121

Banned
You've got to love reading this if you're a Villa supporter.

From Villa CEO Paul Faulkner:

"The big point that people sometimes forget is that he inherited Cleveland Browns. He bought Aston Villa. Any rumors that Randy could be thinking about getting out or losing interest is nonsense."

He's going to sell his NFL team for almost a billion dollars, so that can only mean good things moving forward for Aston Villa.

Meier

Meier where to start?

I'm on my iPhone and don't think my thumbs could type a worthy response, but I'll just say that 1) I don't think that people singing a catchy song makes that song relevant or better. Case in point: who is more sing-songy, Jimmy Buffet or Bob Dylan? The Black Eyed Peas, or the Walkmen? I could think of a hundred terrible musical groups who have managed to make unforgettable tunes, and plenty phenomenal ones who made music that is best listened to and not sung along to.

2) Influence is hard to point out: if you turn on the radio you won't hear a band that sounds exactly like Radiohead, but you'll hear people trying to use Thom Yorkes voice, or the same silky drum machines and droning guitars, and the same sonic balance that they've achieved so well on multiple albums.

Influence is a ground-up thing and is hard for me to point out directly. No one would say the Clash sound like the Ramones, but when they first formed they were copying the Ramones 1:1 and could easily be confused for a Ramones cover band. Despite a completely different sound, the Clash were so influenced by the Ramones you'd be forgiven if you thought it was the same group in the 70s, years before London Calling.

I probably feel similarly about Halo vs Half Life as I do Oasis vs Radiohead. Except that Halo was influenced by half life. Heavily.
I think you make some very valid points but I'll always disagree with at least a few of them personally because I don't see or hear Radiohead's influence like a fan of Radiohead does... BUT, I've got to take special issue with this point in particular. If a song is good and has vocals, there is no instance where I can agree with this personally.

If it isn't getting you singing along, it isn't very good in nearly every scenario and it's certainly not timeless.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom