• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Wow about Agger.

Seems like this summer has been a terrible one for fans. Juve fans upset about the gambling, United the IPO, Liverpool trying to ship out players, Newcastle little to no signings. I'm sure theres more.

Seems like Chelsea fans should really be the happiest.

Arsenal hasn't had a bad summer so far excluding the continuing Van Persie saga.

Shahed

Was really impressed with Debuchy in the Euro's. He really liked to go forward, and while Simpson was solid, he didn't go beyond Ben Arfa as much as I'd like

I'd be gutted if we missed out on him for the sake of £1-2m. That's peanuts in footballing terms.

Lightning

Banned
Don't believe it for a second.
I don't want to believe it because I don't want him to stay anymore. I would rather him sold and we get the money for him.

Arsenal hasn't had a bad summer so far excluding the continuing Van Persie saga.
I agree. Aside from RVP being an ass we're going quite nicely this summer I feel.

Cazorla is pretty much done and we've already brought in Giroud and Podolski so I feel we are in a pretty decent position offensively. Defensively we still need improvements though, especially in fullbacks.

Kyoufu

Was really impressed with Debuchy in the Euro's. He really liked to go forward, and while Simpson was solid, he didn't go beyond Ben Arfa as much as I'd like

I'd be gutted if we missed out on him for the sake of £1-2m. That's peanuts in footballing terms.

Not for us. We're not exactly drowning in oil money.

Zabojnik

I'm new to "football". My daughter plays it locally and I decided to try a soccer video game, so I nabbed FIFA 98. I had no idea what I was doing, since I had never even seen a match played. I ended up watching the final nine or so games of the 2010 World Cup to get some idea of the game flow.

One thing I immediately noticed is how often the players fake injuries. It's so obvious. How is this not penalized? I understand that there is some gain to be made by making the referee believe you were hit hard, but everyone on the field and in the stands has to know that half of these are just acting. I didn't keep a tally, but I felt that maybe one out of every six "dives" legitimately caused some temporary pain to the player.

I watch a replay, and someone will get slightly bumped on the toe and down he goes clutching his knee. It's the same every time. I'm surprised there isn't a name for this. "The football fake" or something. Fall to the ground, look at the ref through the corner of your eye, and if you don't draw the foul, stand up and act like nothing happened.

I can't believe there isn't some sort of disincentive or punishment for faking. It happens far too often. In the extra time of one match, the winning team had a fake injury, with the obvious intent to run out the clock. It was embarrassing.

You must be new to foo... Oh, right, you said so yourself. There are disincentives and punishments for faking, btw. They're called yellow and red cards. It's not perfect, but as far as I'm concerned it's just another thing that makes football the best sport in the known universe.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
JUVE: "Conte will remain our coach regardless of how the trial goes."

Thank you, Presidente. We'll probably end up with our bones broken, but with our heads high.

SEMPRE CON TE

Szsyf.png

Zing said:
I watch a replay, and someone will get slightly bumped on the toe and down he goes clutching his knee. It's the same every time. I'm surprised there isn't a name for this. "The football fake" or something. Fall to the ground, look at the ref through the corner of your eye, and if you don't draw the foul, stand up and act like nothing happened.

We call it diving!

or Busquets.

Shahed

I would bet money on him knowing Arsenal's transfer plans this summer during contract negotiations.

I'd agree. He said he had a meeting to discuss where the Club was gonna go from here, and the reason he's not signing is they had different plans for the future. There's no way he didn't know

Hope I'm wrong since I'd love for RVP to stay.

Lightning

Banned
I would bet money on him knowing Arsenal's transfer plans this summer during contract negotiations.
Of course he will know but I'm concerned because since his outburst we've heard nothing from him, Wenger gets angry at the mention of the topic now and we still don't know whether he's staying or going. Really frustrating but can't go on too much longer as team photos will tell the story regardless for RVP and I pray that T V has the captaincy by that time.

I'd agree. He said he had a meeting to discuss where the Club was gonna go from here, and the reason he's not signing is they had different plans for the future. There's no way he didn't know

Yeah but it doesn't make sense that RVP would leave for lack of ambition given the quality of players we are targeting/brought in. That's what doesn't make sense as Cazorla, Giroud and Podolski all have performance to back them so if RVP knew this, which I assume he did, then how can he justify his lack of ambition comments? In the past yes but Wenger is clearly acting with more purpose and aggression in this transfer season than in recent memory.

I think it's done now. Lille seem to just be taking the stance that they're not selling him now.

Real shame, I hope that it doesn't affect Cabaye either..

Wes

venison crêpe
Wow about Agger.

Seems like this summer has been a terrible one for fans. Juve fans upset about the gambling, United the IPO, Liverpool trying to ship out players, Newcastle little to no signings. I'm sure theres more.

Seems like Chelsea fans should really be the happiest.

Villa fans having a great Summer!

Salvadora

Loan move likely for Liverpool and Spurs target

Tottenham and Liverpool target Ibrahim Afellay is set to leave Barcelona after his agent revealed he is interested in a loan move.

Injuries have stopped the Dutchman impressing new Barca manager Tito Vilanova enough to offer him a regular spot in the Catalan club's already star-studded midfield and his representative has revealed he is now considering his options.
Plenty of Premier League sides would be interested in the 26-year-old but his agent, Robert Jansen, told Italian website CalcioMercato that Serie A is also a possibility.
"Afellay can go on loan for next season," he said. "Maybe to Italy, It is a great league," Jansen said.
Inter Milan are believed to be the Italian club most interested in offering Afelley first-team football.
http://www.talksport.co.uk/sports-n...move-likely-liverpool-and-spurs-target-177850

GQman2121

Banned

You're like the only supporter I've seen say that. Everyone else is over it and can't wait for him to move on. The bridge hasn't officially been burnt, but it's currently in flames.

jtb

Banned
if no one comes for RVP... that will truly be hilarious. I could do with RVP staying another year (that would mean the window to sell would've passed. he'll either leave on a free or sign a lower contract extension; either way, his value will have plummet by the time he hits 30 and no one's going to pay him the kind of money he wants at that age besides Anzhi), as that will stack our midfield/attack beyond all belief. Especially if Wenger does the smart thing, doesn't feed his ego, and sticks him as a support striker rather than the guy up front.

I do hope he's sold though; money could be reinvested in a quality full back and a replacement for Squillaci/Djouru :)lol) so we have 4 solid, if unspectacular, center halves. Of course, I'm not sure if Wenger feels those are problem areas or not, but we don't have a backup right back—that alone is ridiculous. Coquelin is a DM-turned-RB (a la Flamini... and he was pretty disgruntled at having to play full back), Sanga is injury prone (hello new broken leg), Gibbs is also notorious with injuries, and finally Santos, who is merely shit. Those purchases (and I'm still holding out hope, though very very little, that M'Vila might still be on) would easily turn Arsenal into a team that could contend for all major trophies; with or without RVP.

I do hope he's sold though; money could be reinvested in a quality full back and a replacement for Squillaci/Djouru :)lol) so we have 4 solid, if unspectacular, center halves. Of course, I'm not sure if Wenger feels those are problem areas or not, but we don't have a backup right back—that alone is ridiculous. Coquelin is a DM-turned-RB (a la Flamini... and he was pretty disgruntled at having to play full back), Sanga is injury prone (hello new broken leg), Gibbs is also notorious with injuries, and finally Santos, who is merely shit. Those purchases (and I'm still holding out hope, though very very little, that M'Vila might still be on) would easily turn Arsenal into a team that could contend for all major trophies; with or without RVP.

This is exactly what I hope we do with the funds.If the rumoured transfers go through and we invest in a defender or two from the RVP sale I may just start to get optimistic.

Shahed

You're like the only supporter I've seen say that. Everyone else is over it and can't wait for him to move on. The bridge hasn't officially been burnt, but it's currently in flames

Maybe because as much as I might like Arsenal, they're still only my second team. I only really liked them because of Henry initially but then grew to like the way they play. So after checking Toon stuff, I'll keep an eye on the Gunners as well. I'd want the better players to stay

But I'm not a real supporter so it's nevee gonna be the same

Wilbur

Banned
Liking Radiohead is contrarian? Disliking Oasis is contrarian?

Fucking lol lol lol

I feel like a dick for saying this...but I don't know if I believe him.

Why do I doubt you Fergie :(

Have to take Fergie's word on this.

That said he's still come out with some shocking stuff lately.

Gonna take his word on it. While I think he's massively mistaken in believing they're good owners in the long run, he's won me over.

Yen

Tonight is Carra's 700th game. LFC have his career in images.
eurofinal50.jpg

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/700-games-of-carra-in-pics

Zabojnik

Juventus President Andrea Agnelli has launched a scathing attack on the sporting justice system, as Antonio Conte refuses a plea bargain and will try to plead his innocence.

Conte was talked into accepting a plea bargain of three months and a €200,000 fine yesterday in the betting scandal, but the Disciplinary Commission judges surprisingly turned it down.

The Coach, who is involved due to his time at Siena and the testimony of just one player – Filippo Carobbio – has rejected a new plea bargain attempt and will go to full trial in order to prove his innocence.

In taking this route, Conte faces a potential 15-month ban. Juventus President Agnelli released a scathing statement that attacks the entire sporting justice system.

“We have realised the FIGC and its sporting justice system continue to operate outside of all logic for rights and fairness.

“For a long time and with great sense of responsibility, Juventus and its employees have maintained a relaxed and consistent attitude towards the institutions and respect for attitudes that straight away suggested a new attack was aimed at damaging the club.

“The results of these various charges show enormous contradictions and seem to protect exclusively those who committed sporting fraud. This is paradoxical and cannot be accepted.”

Carobbio’s testimony is considered credible in accusing Conte despite the fact another 23 Siena players who were in the team meeting also testified that the Coach never alluded to any fixed games.

The Italian sporting justice system is effectively set up so that one is guilty until proven innocent, which is why many take plea bargains to avoid much longer bans and a long trial process.

“Yesterday’s decision of the FIGC Disciplinary Commission to reject an offer of a plea bargain that had already been pondered and underwritten by the Prosecutor, is proof of the total inadequacy of the sporting justice system and the Federation within which it operates,” continued Agnelli.

“I must again point out the incapability this structure has of interpreting the needs of modern professional football at the highest level.

“The path of plea bargaining in order to limit the damage done by a contradictory sporting justice system clashes against a dictatorial system that robs clubs and their employees of any right to defence or honour.

“The respectability of individuals is put in danger and it is therefore up to them to make the final decision on which path to take, aware Juventus will support them in every court.

“It will be a complex and difficult season, but the concentration on performances on the field remains high with the objective to confirm ourselves as winners in May 2013.”

This betting scandal comes in the wake of the Calciopoli investigation and controversy over the intercepted phone calls involving other clubs like Inter that were not taken into consideration during the original 2006 trial.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom