• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

PowderedToast

what's the team for liverpool? cant watch cos i'm not at home. also why are we so shit? i thought we were showing promise during this pre-season.

Wilbur

Banned
Liking Oasis and acknowledging how good their first 2 albums are are two different things.

I don't "like" Oasis in as much as that almost everything they've done post-1995 is largely rubbish and all but 2 of their 7 studio albums are poor to mediocre, but the first 2 albums are objectively brilliant.

Anyway, what are peoples opinion on Muse? I had them pegged as another bunch of overrated upstarts until I saw them live, but they were fucking astounding live.

I think their first album (was that Definitely, Maybe or Morning Glory?) was very good. Then their second (which is the one of the aforementioned two that isn't the first I suppose) was pretty good. Everything else is just ranging from average to horrendous. Beady Eye are turgid. High Flying Birds are alright.

I think Muse are listenable in spells but they've gone off the boil with their last few albums. You're right though, live they're magnificent. I don't think I've seen anyone with such a difference in recorded and live performance.

Agreed re: The Hold Steady and Gaslight. They're too in thrall of Springsteen to be truly great bands.

You should really give Titus Andronicus a listen. They're clearly influenced by Springsteen but they never try to directly copy him. I think they're brilliant.

Will check out some of their stuff, cheers.

GorillaJu

We aren't THAT shit. We just don't look sharp. I expect us to improve a lot as the team gets used to this formation so I'm not really worried. But we aren't even getting into dangerous areas. Not in the least.

My thoughts on the first half;

1. If Rodgers is looking to sell Agger after seeing this performance, he's insane.

2. Pacheco in pre-season was infinitely better than either Downing or Cole. Him not being taken is a travesty.

3. Borini must be wondering what he's let himself in for.

4. We're playing pretty much exactly as we did under Kenny. Tiki-taka at the back, hoofball up front.

Probably a bit knee jerk after only 45 mins, but I am a bit concerned...

Same. Has nobody ever told Enrique that pushing the ball 20 yards ahead and sprinting after it doesn't often work when the defender has a 5 yard head start?

Arnie

but I am a bit concerned...
That's natural, but we need calm heads. I can't remember the last time we weren't shit in pre-season, and we've been forced into playing a bunch of the Euro players who have barely featured in pre-season so far at all. Not to mention we're playing a team at peak physical conditioning, so tracking runners and so forth is much easier for them.

Nobody should be under the illusion that we're playing well, but dear god, don't panic.

GorillaJu

Given how difficult it was for Swansea to start scoring at the beginning of last season, I kind of expect a difficult time until Septemberish.

Hixx

Be Here Now was a shocking album. Shoulders of Giants, Heathen Chemistry and Dig Out Your Soul are fine albums. Don't Believe the Truth has a couple of decent tracks on.

5.5/7 not a bad return.

Wilbur

Banned
Be Here Now was a shocking album. Shoulders of Giants, Heathen Chemistry and Dig Out Your Soul are fine albums. Don't Believe the Truth has a couple of decent tracks on.

5.5/7 not a bad return.

Pablo Honey is mediocre
The Bends is great
OK Computer is fantastic
Kid A is incredible
Amnesiac is fantastic
Hail To The Thief is great
In Rainbow is majestic
King Of Limbs is fantastic.

7/8 is even better
lol

Hit rates though, out of 34 Dylan albums he has at least 10 bad ones. But like 10 incredible ones and a lot of good to very good ones.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Gerrard has been the worst player. Rusty as hell and two laughable dives so far. Honestly they could have used Carroll tonight.

jtb

Banned
Muse is decent, but they've run out of ideas with their latest album. The Resistance was basically Black Holes and Revelations, except shit. And waaaay too indulgent (goes hand in hand with shit, really).

Oasis is pretty good though; they make simple, unpretentious music. I can appreciate that in a band and Definitley Maybe is a great, great album. Of course Radiohead is far more influential (and I don't even like Radiohead, bar Kid A which is a classic), but... meh. Different bands, different styles, etc.

Arnie

Gerrard has been the worst player. Rusty as hell and two laughable dives so far. Honestly they could have used Carroll tonight.

Yep, he's been wank, looks well off the pace and he keeps trying to knock things long like he's still playing under Hodgson.

Wilbur

Banned
Wilbury, post THAT gif.

UsiJl.gif

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0gkO1rWetl8wb/610x.jpg[IMG]

[IMG]http://www.backyardchickensite.com/chicken-coop/feeding%20chickens.jpg[IMG]

Is this how he communicates with Krasic? Mystery solved!

[B]For one game under Conte. GET IT?[/B] [IMG]http://i.imgur.com/LnMOa.gif

Took me a while, but now I do.

It's Italy.

Mastadon

Banned
Carroll would have scored..

It's before the Premier League season starts, sure, but it's a competitive game, it's not a pre-season friendly.

Of course, but people are seemingly expecting us to be firing on all cylinders playing like Barca after just four games in which our reserves and kids played.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
These guys are completely leaving the middle wide open and we arent just running with he ball to carry it forward

Did Joe Cole start this game or did I just imagine that? Maybe Rodgers can put him on.

Meier

Didn't realize 'Pool were playing a qualifier today and not a friendly. Agger not in certainly seems to suggest they don't want to make him ineligible for another team just in case.

Mastadon

Banned
Didn't realize 'Pool were playing a qualifier today and not a friendly. Agger not in certainly seems to suggest they don't want to make him ineligible for another team just in case.

He wouldn't be anyway. You can register for one team in qualifiers, and another for the competition proper. You can play in Europa and then play in the CL with a different team after as well afaik.

Meier

He wouldn't be anyway. You can register for one team in qualifiers, and another for the competition proper. You can play in Europa and then play in the CL with a different team after as well afaik.

Ahhh, I didn't realize they'd allow you to play on a different team than the qualifying rounds. I wouldn't be surprised if City ended up in the Europa League again. :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom