• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
Former Bari defender Andrea Masiello, now with Atalanta, was banned for 26 months on Friday for his part in the latest match-fixing to hit Italian football.

Promoted Sampdoria were docked one point for the forthcoming Serie A campaign and fined 30,000 euros ($36,500) and Bari, who play in Serie B, were docked five points and fined 80,000 euros.

All the suspensions were handed down after the Italian Football Federation (FIGC) tribunal investigating the Calcioscommesse match-fixing scandal, the latest to hit Italian football, accepted plea bargain offers from the defendants.

Former Bari team mates Alessandro Parisi, Marco Rossi and Marco Esposito were also suspended.

Parisi, who played for Torino in Serie B last season and is now a free agent, will serve a two-year ban, Rossi one year and eight months and Esposito three months and 10 days. The trio were also fined.

Attention focused on several Bari games in the 2010-11 season, when the team was still in Serie A, including one in May last year against local rivals Lecce. Bari, already relegated, lost that match 2-0 with Masiello scoring an own goal in the 80th minute.

Prosecutors believe an international gambling ring paid players to throw matches. Dozens of current and former players in teams ranging from the Serie A top division down to the lower leagues may have been involved, according to investigators.

The most high-profile case involves Juventus coach Antonio Conte who will go to a full sporting trial after his plea bargain offer of a three-month ban was rejected on Wednesday.

Conte, who led Juventus to the Serie A title last season, is accused of failing to report match-fixing in two games in the 2010-11 season when he was coach of Siena, then in Serie B.

Arnie

Alex Morgan. Plays up top CF/ST. Her and Abby Wambach the other striker kinda float around wherever.
She's wearing the pink hairband, right? What a babe.

Not seeing the infatuation with that Hope Solo though, she's freakish. Like Brienne of Tarth.
From James Pearce at the Liverpool Echo.

Indeed we've dropped a lot of money on extraordinary circumstances. People who slate the owners for a lack of investment should remember how much they've had to shell out to restructure the management.
Hadn't read that, cheers.

Well that puts our lack of spending into even greater perspective.

bjaelke

Viva (twitter response): Sailing is very technical and requires more than just setting sail. When they turn around they'll sail against the wind which is very complicated (they'll have to sail in a zig-zag pattern).

Viva (twitter response): Sailing is very technical and requires more than just setting sail. When they turn around they'll sail against the wind which is very complicated (they'll have to sail in a zig-zag pattern).
I see.

I am still quite confused but I think it's one of those things you have to try to really appreciate it.

524356_427705017272032_1357837843_n.jpg

Shahed

Premierleague have announced an U-21 competition which starts in a few weeks. Group stages and then knock out. Designed to bridge the gap between the academy and first team. This sounds great.

Good to see. I welcome anything that helps promote the younget players, because sometimes a club just can't afford to play them in the heat of it

I see.

I am still quite confused but I think it's one of those things you have to try to really appreciate it.

Afaik, Sailing against the wind relies on creating a pressure differential between front and back of the sail like an aeroplane wing. To stay on course you have to continuosly tack from side to side to keep the correct angle against the wind.

LegoArmo

I've heard stories of the best women's football teams playing friendlies against school boys and losing quite heavily. I can't really watch it.

There's many women's sports I like better then the male equivalent though.

Zabojnik

Fucking Matri. It makes it hard to root for him to stay if he keeps pulling shit like that. Goddammit, Marotta is going to fuck us over with the WC striker, isn't he?

And what do you mean by "if he stays with us"? Isn't it a done deal?

It's a done deal. I'm just not sure if he'll be staying at Juve this season or if he'll be loaned off to a minor Serie A club.

Watched The Dark Knight Rises. Not bad, but not particularly great either. There are moments of greatness, especially towards the end, but the movie drags on to much and it feels to long for its own good. It tries to tell too many stories and ends up feeling unfocused. Also, the movie should be called: The Dark Knight Rises Over and Over Again. I do not regret watching it and if I had to give it a score, it would be a good one, but the first two movies are better in my opinion. It also felt way over the top, but maybe that's just me. Best part of the movie were the two star ladies, especially Miranda.

That's my opinion as well. TDKR SPOILER
I also didn't like how the mighty Bane, seemingly a man of great carisma, vision and principles, however twisted, was reduced to a mere puppet, when the real mastermind behind everything was revealed. They should have made it look like he and Miranda were at least equal 'partners in crime', not a master/slave kind of relationship. It just seemed wrong, even if it made sense story-wise, with him being her protector in the prison and everything.

Wilbur

Banned
Anyone see that shot from Del Potro?

WOW!

Yeah, was superb. Almost rooting for him to win, but I can't go against my baby Fed

It's a done deal. I'm just not sure if he'll be staying at Juve this season or if he'll be loaned off to a minor Serie A club.

That's my opinion as well. TDKR SPOILER
I also didn't like how the mighty Bane, seemingly a man of great carisma, vision and principles, however twisted, was reduced to a mere puppet, when the real mastermind behind everything was revealed. They should have made it look like he and Miranda were at least equal 'partners in crime', not a master/slave kind of relationship. It just seemed wrong, even if it made sense story-wise, with him being her protector in the prison and everything.

I didn't think anything in the film suggested
he was the puppet and Miranda the mastermind. Of the League Of Shadows, he was the theatricality, she was the deception. She wasn't the one who brought Gotham to its knees.

Zabojnik

I didn't think anything in the film suggested
he was the puppet and Miranda the mastermind. Of the League Of Shadows, he was the theatricality, she was the deception. She wasn't the one who brought Gotham to its knees.

Dunno, that was the impression I and everyone who saw it with me got.
That whole scene with her taking care of his mask and telling him not to kill Batman / let him die slowly ... the adoration / pain in his eyes, etc. I was almost expecting him to say 'Yes maam!' at some point.

Yen

That whole scene with her taking care of his mask and telling him not to kill Batman / let him die slowly ... the adoration / pain in his eyes, etc. I was almost expecting him to say 'Yes maam!' at some point.

Well, he did love her, and she loved him.

Willkiller said:
I've been Devo-banned once. It ain't happening again.

What happened?

Wilbur

Banned

Eh
he loved her like a daughter, she loved him like a father. The fact he went against her wishes and was going to kill Batman means a yes ma'am obviously wasn't coming.

Yen

Rory Smyth says on twitter that Aquilani was signed by Eduardo Macia, they guy who brought him to Liverpool. And we know how well that worked out...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom