• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

This summer has killed my footballing dreams. We were going to win big with our top targets. Now we're destined for mid-table battles with fucking Everton.

elsk

Banned
I won't support Bayern this season, I can't take any more defeats. With the CL final and now this with the Honduran olympic team...
I'll stick with my local club :( I'm even buying the new kit:

399492_10151288601149966_1227289071_n.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Any of you guys watch the Brighton v Chelsea game. Pretty funny as hell, but gotta give props to Brighton for owning the current "champions of Europe."

A pretty much full-on first team side against a Championship team and they performed pretty horribly. Seems like that formation didn't work and RDM is gonna have to come up with a way to make this team gel.

RDM is not capable of doing that, he wasn't capable of doing it at West Brom after all. Chelsea's biggest problem is still Torres, he is afraid of the ball and until that changes Chelsea will not compete for the title. RDM needs to grow a pair and buy one striker to be first choice, put Sturridge as second choice and Torres as a distant third.

Fady K

Anyone watching PSG vs Barcelona? Great game!! Barca leading 1-0 thanks to Rafinha.

p.s. Did we talk about Chelsea losing 3-1 against Brighton? City have lost a few friendlies too but their (Chelsea) defense is really struggling. Torres, Hazard, etc. were playing so it wasn't entirely academy players and whatnot.

Any of you guys watch the Brighton v Chelsea game. Pretty funny as hell, but gotta give props to Brighton for owning the current "champions of Europe."

A pretty much full-on first team side against a Championship team and they performed pretty horribly. Seems like that formation didn't work and RDM is gonna have to come up with a way to make this team gel.

Only players really missing were Oscar and Mata.

Chelsea were absolutely dreadful and fully deserved to lose. They did not gel well and did not even seem to try jack. Oscar and Mata would have not added much to a dreadful performance. They need to try much, much, MUCH better.

elsk

Banned
On twitter: "Roger Espinoza would be an idol If he played in that stadium for Newcastle United. Those fans would appreciate him."

:p

I won't support Bayern this season, I can't take any more defeats. With the CL final and now this with the Honduran olympic team...

You must continue to support Bayern
otherwise they may start winning things again :p

Fady K

RDM is not capable of doing that, he wasn't capable of doing it at West Brom after all. Chelsea's biggest problem is still Torres, he is afraid of the ball and until that changes Chelsea will not compete for the title. RDM needs to grow a pair and buy one striker to be first choice, put Sturridge as second choice and Torres as a distant third.

Watching all their games, Torres is fine to be fair, he got little to no service today, as usual. The team overall were just absolutely horrid today, and were not much better throughout *all* their preseason games. They conceded 10 goals in 5 games. The positive thing to take out of all this is that Chelsea fans like me can lower their expectations for the season.

Soi-Fong

Crazy Abramovich 50 million Euros bid incoming for RVP!! I would not be surprised... Lol

And I'll have to disagree with you for a lil bit. I thought that Torres touch and such in the game was pretty nice.

Still, seems like Abramovich got too concerned with offense and not enough defense.

Either way, I don't think Abramovich can spend anymore without really coming uncomfortably close to FFP regulations.

wut? Not sure if its a cultural difference, but I'd be laughed out of the country if I said that about Liverpool :p

Fintan

Watching all their games, Torres is fine to be fair, he got little to no service today, as usual. The team overall were just absolutely horrid today, and were not much better throughout *all* their preseason games. They conceded 10 goals in 5 games. The positive thing to take out of all this is that Chelsea fans like me can lower their expectations for the season.

I was working so I only caught a bit of the game today, were we playing 4-3-3?

Fady K

I was working so I only caught a bit of the game today, were we playing 4-3-3?

We were bro, and it was our worst game since that 4-1 league game against Liverpool. I'm glad you didn't watch the game to be honest, a complete waste of time.

Meier

Not familiar with him but City have apparently signed a Lazio youth product, Vlad Nicolae Marin. He's Romanian so I'm sure the club will be hopeful that Pantilimon can help him get settled in.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
And I'll have to disagree with you for a lil bit. I thought that Torres touch and such in the game was pretty nice.

Torres is neat and tidy but he has to replace Drogba in the pecking order. Drogba was a brute and could batter his way to the goal, it didn't matter how many defenders were in the way. With Chelsea's current style, where they keep possession and squeeze the opposition into their own half (unless they are playing in the CL), Torres is too wimpy to ever break through and score. The whole system of play needs to change to get Torres scoring, that 433 will never suit him. Without Drogba to hold the ball up, Chelsea's squeezing of the play makes them insanely vulnerable to counter-attacks as we have seen multiple times.

Zabojnik

He should first grow an awesome moustache. It's all in the moustache. Ask Krasic.

He did grow one a few years back!

giovistache.png

Palazzi's witness changed his story four-five times, and now the whole case is collapsing. Fucking kangaroo court.

Yeah, but you'll see how they'll prop it up in the end. Prediction: Death penalty for all Juve players, boardroom and cleaners.

It's a hollow consolation, I know, but at least this time the evidence of FIGC's utter incompetence and corruption is right there under the sun for anyone to see. And we were the paranoid ones, ey?

Looks like Melo's staying at Juve!

What is it this fucking time?! He and GS agreed on his salary! Jesus Christ.

Fintan

We were bro, and it was our worst game since that 4-1 league game against Liverpool. I'm glad you didn't watch the game to be honest, a complete waste of time.

That sucks, I doubt we'll be playing that way in the Community Shield. Hopefully go back to 4-2-3-1. I still think that City could thrash us though.

elsk

Banned
Luis F. Suárez: "I'm in love with this players, they gave it all against Brazil."

"I won't comment on the ref decisions, sometimes they made mistakes in our favor and sometimes against us."

Fady K

That sucks, I doubt we'll be playing that way in the Community Shield. Hopefully go back to 4-2-3-1. I still think that City could thrash us though.

I agree, 4-2-3-1 it will most likely be. The 4-3-3 system sucked big time. Even with 4-2-3-1 system though, they really need to step it up in every area. They seem to have had a hard time passing to each other in the pre-season.

dc89

Wolfsberg V City starting on ESPN now.

Hart, Zabaleta, Kolo Toure, Savic, Kolarov, Yaya Toure, Razak, Suarez, Johnson, Aguero, Tevez

Verano

Reads Ace as Lace. May God have mercy on their soul
Luis F. Suárez: "I'm in love with this players, they gave it all against Brazil."

"I won't comment on the ref decisions, sometimes they made mistakes in our favor and sometimes against us."

at least he's honest about it. anyways, honduras did their best and could've won the game if it weren't for defensive errors and some bad calls from the red. This is football after all so anything can happen like Ribery missing a PK. So don't feel bad hondurenos and be proud how far you've came in the olympics.

anyways, arriba los mexicos!!!
i730d4xyslv.gif

spidye

I know it's hard but at least when heynckes retires next season we will win titles again.

elsk

Banned
Have you got any strikers you can send to Celtic?

Antony Lozano (played the last few minutes) is at Valencia and Romell Quioto (dropped so we could include Bengtson) was signed by Wisla Krakow.

Celtic should buy Bengtson :p
Rangers were linked with him for like 2 years.

Meier

Wolfsberg V City starting on ESPN now.

Hart, Zabaleta, Kolo Toure, Savic, Kolarov, Yaya Toure, Razak, Suarez, Johnson, Aguero, Tevez

Meh, not on TV here in the States.. was hopeful since this one is at least against another fairly big team.

jtb

Banned
Chelsea's situation is very odd; they've bought a bunch of smaller, technical players (the type that, of course, would have excelled under AVB's high line philosophy), but the old, immobile defenders are still there, Terry isn't going anywhere, and central midfield lacks that energetic midfielder with Essien's injuries. Di Matteo probably won't be sacked during the season, but I could easily see them missing on CL qualification and him quietly being shown the exit by Roman (he's only on a year deal anyways, right? saves him compensation money).

in short, Roman pulled the trigger on AVB one year too early. Torres will fail spectacularly if RDM continues with this 4-3-3 formation; Torres is a high-maintenance striker, his problem was almost never the confidence/form (especially right after Ancelotti bought him... and make no mistake, his form is/was abysmal), it's that he gets such unbelievably shit service from the midfield that Mata can only do so much to make up the difference. But with Oscar, Hazard, Marin and Mata, there's enough quality to service Torres to a 20 goal season in a 4-2-3-1, but if RDM does that, then I can easily see Chelsea's defenders (especially Cahill and Terry) constantly under a lot of pressure because they won't have the protection they normal get from Mou's style of a brutally physical midfield.

It's a catch-22. the fallout should be great to watch.

LegoArmo

Antony Lozano (played the last few minutes) is at Valencia and Romell Quioto (dropped so we could include Bengtson) was signed by Wisla Krakow.

Celtic should buy Bengtson :p
Rangers were linked with him for like 2 years.

I'll call our manager right away. Honduran players have the perfect build and attributes for the SPL, but some might be wanted by teams in bigger leagues, I guess.

Your team played amazingly well over all their games in this tournament!

xintin

Chelsea's situation is very odd; they've bought a bunch of smaller, technical players (the type that, of course, would have excelled under AVB's high line philosophy), but the old, immobile defenders are still there, Terry isn't going anywhere, and central midfield lacks that energetic midfielder with Essien's injuries. Di Matteo probably won't be sacked during the season, but I could easily see them missing on CL qualification and him quietly being shown the exit by Roman (he's only on a year deal anyways, right? saves him compensation money).

in short, Roman pulled the trigger on AVB one year too early. Torres will fail spectacularly if RDM continues with this 4-3-3 formation; Torres is a high-maintenance striker, his problem was almost never the confidence/form (especially right after Ancelotti bought him... and make no mistake, his form is/was abysmal), it's that he gets such unbelievably shit service from the midfield that Mata can only do so much to make up the difference. But with Oscar, Hazard, Marin and Mata, there's enough quality to service Torres to a 20 goal season in a 4-2-3-1, but if RDM does that, then I can easily see Chelsea's defenders (especially Cahill and Terry) constantly under a lot of pressure because they won't have the protection they normal get from Mou's style of a brutally physical midfield.

It's a catch-22. the fallout should be great to watch.
RDM is on a two year deal. I didnt see the match today, but I dont think 4-3-3 will replace the 4-2-3-1 RDM went with last season.

I do think we're in for a rough patch early on though trying to figure out exactly who is playing well with who. At least City will get the Community Shield they should've had last year :p

elsk

Banned
Your team played amazingly well over all their games in this tournament!

Thanks man! I was expecting us to be eliminated by our second match so getting into the quarter finals was a nice surprise. Still, after watching the team playing I think we could've reached at least the semi-finals. Well, at least I hope some of the guys make a move to Europe after this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom