• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

thaOwner

Only tuning in now, how has United been doing?
We actually look pretty good. Been styling all over them. Welbeck has been brilliant. Scholes has been tremendous as well. Valencia and Nani are linking up pretty well. Young has been completely anonymous. Good to have our captain back though. He's been nothing but commanding at the back.

Why can Murray do this in the Olympic final but not in a Slam, when it actually matters?
I think the Olympics do matter for one.

Other than that, I think he can, but he hasn't been able to play with this type of conviction. It's been getting better under Lendl and this is his best yet. He still needs to improve further but it bodes well that after his Wimbledon heart break he's back playing confidently again.

Clegg

I think the Olympics do matter for one.

Other than that, I think he can, but he hasn't been able to play with this type of conviction. It's been getting better under Lendl and this is his best yet. He still needs to improve further but it bodes well that after his Wimbledon heart break he's back playing confidently again.

The Olympics are a nice distraction but they only come around once every 4 years, they're a sideshow. An Olympic gold medal would rank higher than a masters event but its the Slams that every tennis player wants to win.

kharma45

Federer is playing poorly but he wants this REALLY bad. He was on the verge of tears just to get through to the final. Winning this would mean he has won absolutely everything.

I keep forgetting this is pretty much the only thing he hasn't won, never saw his semi-final match, had to listen to it in the car so saw none of that.

Might as well flick on the tennis for a bit.

The Olympics are a nice distraction but they only come around once every 4 years, they're a sideshow. An Olympic gold medal would rank higher than a masters event but its the Slams that every tennis player wants to win.
I agree the Grand Slams are a cut above this.

But this matters for these guys, they're giving it they're all. Winning this won't do for Murray, he wants and needs that Slam, but it's an amazing win to have nonetheless.

To win Gold at your home Olympics? It's a unique thing itself.

Clegg

This is the best I've seen Murray play in quite a while. He had a very good first 2 sets in the Wimbledon final but he couldn't sustain that form and was beaten by Federer.

But he's playing at a very high level right now and he doesn't seem to be tapering off like he did at Wimbledon. Fed is playing nowhere near as good as he was at Wimbledon but thats something that doesn't really need to be discussed right now.

Hopefully Andy kicks on and starts winning some Grand Slams.

bjaelke

Dutch Super Cup starting in 1 hour. PSV vs AJAX

PSV XI v Ajax: Tytoń; Hutchinson, Marcelo, Bouma, Willems; Van Bommel, Strootman; Narsingh, Toivonen, Mertens; Lens

Ajax XI v PSV: Vermeer; Van Rhijn, Alderweireld, Blind, Dijks; Anita, Janssen, Sd Jong; Özbiliz, Sigþórsson, Fischer

Clegg

FWIW I think someone at United has given Cass false information. Whether it be to appease the fans, drum up interest in the IPO, or just as a smokescreen for a different signing, I just can't see us signing Lucas.

Arnie

FWIW I think someone at United has given Cass false information. Whether it be to appease the fans, drum up interest in the IPO, or just as a smokescreen for a different signing, I just can't see us signing Lucas.
Oh god. Didn't you say you'd step away from all this Moura nonsense until it's over, one way or the other, and now you're inventing conspiracies. It looks like United will sign him, they've certainly made an attempt to. Calm down everyone and wait.

kharma45

Clegg most of the time you'd couldn't see us signing Kagawa, chill :p

Brinbe

We'll see, but even ESPN are reporting it now. http://soccernet.espn.go.com/news/s...hester-united-close-in-on-lucas-moura?cc=5901

ESPN understands Manchester United are to set clinch the £30 million signing of Brazil's Lucas Moura.

Moura, 19, has been strongly linked with a move to United and their rivals Manchester City, while Inter Milan have recently been suggested as an interested party.

This week, Sao Paulo moved to play down speculation that the winger was poised to join City, and also rejected claims that an offer had been received from Inter.

United are now the favourites to sign Moura, who, it is understood, will receive 30% of the transfer fee.

A source told ESPN: "Sir Alex is keen to push through the signing of the young winger and United will have to pay £30 million to get him."

Lucas is currently representing Brazil at the 2012 Olympics, with the forward coming on in the second half of his side's 3-2 quarter-final win over Honduras.

United also remain in the hunt for Arsenal's Robin van Persie, although it remains to be seen if the Red Devils will meet the Gunners' asking price of offers in excess of £20 million.

And congrats to Murray!

confuziz

Banned
Posted already? =P

553602_446225945400561_2060082754_n.jpg

Clegg

Oh god. Didn't you say you'd step away from all this Moura nonsense until it's over, one way or the other, and now you're inventing conspiracies. It looks like United will sign him, they've certainly made an attempt to. Calm down everyone and wait.

This is what happens when I get extremely bored. I've been coaching kids on how to play rugby for the last 5 weeks and now thats finished I've nothing to do except invent conspiracy theories or go out and get pissed.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Andy won something :eek:

It looks like Bonucci's lawyers have done a number on Palazzi. He went from requesting a 3 year ban to a 1 year ban to offering a 3 month plea bargain. Bonucci and his lawyers refused and are continuing to see full acquittal. Doing Pepe a favour as well. Conte's lawyers will have to do their own fighting, I'm afraid.

If it was in the US or another country, Palazzi would be thrown out of court AND investigated. You can't tell someone his career was over a few days ago, then completely change your mind the next day. How many lives did he ruin?

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Defoe just scored against Watford. 1-0 to Spurs. Walker with the assist.

This the first goal from either of our two (lol) strikers this pre-season.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom