• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Fuck it.

Theres only 2 weeks until the start of the PL.

1.United
2.City
3.Arsenal
4.Chelsea
5.Spurs
6.Everton

Don't know how Everton get above Newcastle, to be honest.

1) City
2) Arsenal
3) United
4) Spurs
5) Chelsea
6) Newcastle

snoopen

Torres will fire for Chelsea given their ridiculous midfield. He'll become their RvP and then he'll get injured and they'll remember they don't have anyone else.

Clegg

Whats more likely to happen is Torres still being shit and not scoring any goals and then Chelsea remembering they have no other strikers.

I'm surprised they haven't been linked with RVP.

Salvadora

Whats more likely to happen is Torres still being shit and not scoring any goals and then Chelsea remembering they have no other strikers.

I can see this easily happening. Honestly shocked they haven't tried for a new striker.

K1LLER7

1.United
2.City
3.Spurs
4.Chelsea
5.Arsenal
6.Liverpool
7.Newcastle

Top Scorer PL: Aguero

La Liga: Barca
France: PSG
Holland: Ajax
Serie A: Juve
Germany: Dortmund

CL: Real Madrid, Top Scorer: Messi

I just don't see Chelsea or Arsenal touching the two Manchester clubs again this year. Still have huge deficiencies. For Chelsea it's goal scorers. For Arsenal it's the quality of their defenders. Neither problem looks like it's getting addressed either.

I also think there's massive assumptions going on as to the quality of Giroud.

1) Chelsea
2) Manchester Utd
3) Arsenal
4) Manchester City
5) Spurs*
6) Newcastle

*they need a new striker.

Old shift 'n' shoot will do us fine this season thank you very much

Man_City_Fan_Crying.gif

GorillaJu

If Spurs don't get a top quality striker, it'll make FPL selections extremely easy. I think Bale and Sigurdsson will both be 175+ point monsters.

Clegg

Don't know how Everton get above Newcastle, to be honest.

TBH I think Everton, Newcastle and Liverpool are pretty close in terms of overall ability.

Newcastle had a very good run last season whereas Liverpool and Everton didn't perform to their very best.

vall03

Im seriously surprised that people are still rating Arsenal that highly, I don't think they're going to finish that high this season. We just got lucky last season to be honest. As long as that major problem in defense is not addressed, getting any sort of silverware will be difficult.

A few too many if's and but's around for me to make a confident prediction but for now, I'll predict;

1) City
2) United

3) Chelsea
4) Arsenal
5) Spurs

6) Liverpool

With the gaps suggesting clear daylight.

City are favourites as reigning Champions and they have the best team and squad in the league. I do think they need to make a couple of signings because they are still a little prone at CB and CM if they lose some of their better players...but I think they will get those players and have the wind in their sails.

As per usual, alot of people expect United to fall further behind. I'm not exactly brimming with confidence going into this season and I don't know if we will win anything...but the team is better than last years team which finished joint top with City on a record points total for a 2nd placed side. Vidic is back, we've signed Kagwa...and all the younger players have another years experience. And United are always consistent and always there or thereabouts...I certainly don't see us finishing any lower than 3rd.

Chelsea/Arsenal/Spurs...alot depends on how things shape up. For Arsenal, if they stay clear of injuries and if the new players deliver...they could do well. Equally they have a frail team so they can collapse at any moment. Spurs have made good signings but they still need a striker and still need to click under AVB. Chelsea have made great signings but some of the problems of last season still exist and Di Matteo doesn't convince me.

As for Liverpool. Think they'll be more consistent that last year but still finish a few points adrift but safely in 6th.

Don't see Newcastle repeating their performance from last season.

qindarka

Banned

Chelsea do have Sturridge but starting the season with only those two would seriously be pushing their luck. Though there may not be enough game time if another striker is signed leaving three competing for one position.

Edit: Sorry, double posted. thought someone might have posted something in the interim.

elsk

Banned
I don't see how City is highly rated. They barely won the league, while having an amazing squad and the rest of the teams doing very poorly last season. Kagawa is going to destroy them, anyways.

Arsenal, with Cazorla and Giroud, could make a very surprising season. Only worrying thing is having Merte as starting CB.

If Spurs don't get a top quality striker, it'll make FPL selections extremely easy. I think Bale and Sigurdsson will both be 175+ point monsters.
Bale is definitely gonna beast. Not sure about Siggy...but he does look good in pre-season. £9m is too much for me, I'd rather just pay the extra £0.5m and get Bale who will do great regardless.

Why do you think a striker signing affects them though? A striker probably helps Bale at least, more assists.

GorillaJu

I don't see how City is highly rated. They barely won the league, while having an amazing squad and the rest of the teams doing very poorly last season. Kagawa is going to destroy them, anyways.

They barely won the league, but winning the league is a very difficult proposition when your leading striker is in his early 20s, you've not won it in some 40 odd years, and you don't have any title winners in your squad. It was never going to be easy, but they managed to do it. I think even without any signings, they'll improve on last seasons performance simply because of an increase in maturity and confidence.

Kagawa, I think people are overestimating his impact. I think he'll have a decent season, neither poor nor amazing. He'll end up being about what you'd expect for the amount United paid. 4 or 5 goals and assists each and one or two MOTM performance.

David Sullivan's son on twitter (on Carroll presumably)

Jack Sullivan ‏@jsullivanwhu
Sadly the main player we wanted has stayed with the club he’s at, #COYI

Continued: despite trying very hard and agreeing terms with the club, we now move on with other targets.

Anyway we only want player that want to play for WHU

Arnie

Does that relate to Carroll?

Would rather sell him, to be honest, but there was never any doubt he'd snub West Ham.

ElyrionX

Arsenal, with Cazorla and Giroud, could make a very surprising season. Only worrying thing is having Merte as starting CB.

That amazing squad now have had one whole season to come together as a team. Plus, the way they won the league must have done something for their confidence and team spirit. It's the whole trial by fire thing.

GorillaJu

Bale is definitely gonna beast. Not sure about Siggy...but he does look good in pre-season. £9m is too much for me, I'd rather just pay the extra £0.5m and get Bale who will do great regardless.

Why do you think a striker signing affects them though? A striker probably helps Bale at least, more assists.

I agree which is why I have Bale and not Gylfi for my team. Based on their pre-season, Bale has been playing a very free role at the front of the attack and was always the most likely to score. He wasn't hugging the touchline and crossing in balls as much.

Sigurdsson spends so much time shooting and looking for the final ball that I'd expect him to do well on any team.

GorillaJu

Does that relate to Carroll?

Would rather sell him, to be honest, but there was never any doubt he'd snub West Ham.

I'm okay with whatever happens. If we really value him at 20m (I wouldn't but what do I know) and end up keeping him then I'll be happy. If we decide he has no future and use that money to invest some wide men like Gaston, Tello or Isco, then I'd be similarly happy.

The only thing I wouldn't like is if we sold him, and then reinforced some area we're already solid on.

5 goals and 5 assists for Kagawa by the turn of the year.

As long as he gets a starting role most games, which he should really...but you never know with Fergie-san.

elsk

Banned
They barely won the league, but winning the league is a very difficult proposition when your leading striker is in his early 20s, you've not won it in some 40 odd years, and you don't have any title winners in your squad. It was never going to be easy, but they managed to do it. I think even without any signings, they'll improve on last seasons performance simply because of an increase in maturity and confidence.

Kagawa, I think people are overestimating his impact. I think he'll have a decent season, neither poor nor amazing. He'll end up being about what you'd expect for the amount United paid. 4 or 5 goals and assists each and one or two MOTM performance.

Who are you calling their leading striker? I'm guessing Sergio Agüero. I don't see how having him as main striker is an impediment. And they have 4 of the best strikers in the world in their team: Sergio, Tevez, Balotelli and Dzeko.

I agree on the part that winning the league is not easy. But they barely won it, is not like Dortmund in Germany, they really won the league two times with a significant amount of points ahead of the competition.

I think you're underestimating Kagawa. He was great last season in Bundesliga.
Unless something very wrong happens like a serious injury, or Fergie using him as CM/winger, I see him as one of the best players in PL for this new season.

That amazing squad now have had one whole season to come together as a team. Plus, the way they won the league must have done something for their confidence and team spirit. It's the whole trial by fire thing.

Of course, but they still have Mancini as coach. And having Tevez and Balotelli in the locker room, well I don't think that's good for any team.

offshore

but there was never any doubt he'd snub West Ham.

Hmm dunno, his buddy Nolan is there, after all. Both of them were our top scorers back in the day, and a big reason why Carroll got called up to England. Probably the possibility of joining permanently that killed it. A season long loan there who have done him good IMO, especially with Sam in charge. Carroll would have been the main man and then some.

Ryder

I was so keen on this Lucas transfer because from the very beginning I thought that it was the most likely one we'd make after Kagawa. A young and talented winger? SAF would be very interested in that. I don't think we'll be signing anyone else this summer tbh. All the eggs were in the Lucas basket.

Its clear that from the beginning, Sao Paolo were looking for a bidding war and they've gotten what they wanted now.

And WTF is going on at UEFA? Platini specifically brought in FFP to stop spending like this and even mentioned City and Chelsea when talking about sugar daddy clubs. Well PSG have just outspent both of them but he hasn't said a word about it. Fuck off.

FFP is a load of wank, all it is to keep the big clubs big and the small clubs small.

There is no salary cap but you have to spend within your renvenue? How can a club meant compete against a bigger club with a smaller revenue? They cant, its just a flawed system like equivalent to amercanized luxery tax rule in their sports.

It doesnt even make sense at all, so theres no salary cap but you cant use external funds? its a joke. Its not about keeping debt down, like i said its just meant to keep the big clubs big, its all i lie from Platini.

Nothing directed at you, its just what i feel about FFP.

Clegg

Expanding my thoughts a bit.

Arsenal have strengthened up front. Giroud and Podolski are an upgrade on Walcott and Chamakh. Lets not forget that RVP hasn't left yet either. Add the possible signing of Cazorla and Arsenal have a very good team again. Their problem is defence though. Steve Bould has a lot of work to do because Arsenal were comical at times last season in their attempts to defend.

United had 2 areas in which they needed to improve. Their midfield and a player that could create in the final third of the pitch. They've signed that player in Kagawa but CM is still a massive problem. SAF is obviously hoping that his young midfielders come good. Other than that the side looks pretty decent. Good wingers and strikers, a returning centre half and decent young back ups too. Evra is a bit of of worry but Vidic returning may help to plug a few of those gaps that Evra inevitably leaves.

Chelsea have flummoxed me a bit. They've lost Drogba and so far Torres has given no indication of being able to score regularly. They've added two very exciting attacking midfielders in Oscar and Hazard but haven't addressed the problems they have in midfield or in defence. Ramires is their only reliable CM while Terry is getting slower and slower every game. Add in an unproven manager and its really hard to how Chelsea are going to perform.

City are exactly the same as they were last season. The club with the best starting 11 and squad in the league. But so far they haven't made an moves in the transfer market. Thats why I'm putting United ahead of them provisionally. Of course City are looking at at signing Agger and RVP. If they sign either of them then I can see the title staying at the Etihad this season.

FFP is a load of wank, all it is to keep the big clubs big and the small clubs small.

There is no salary cap but you have to spend within your renvenue? How can a club meant compete against a bigger club with a smaller revenue? They cant, its just a flawed system like equivalent to amercanized luxery tax rule in their sports.

It doesnt even make sense at all, so theres no salary cap but you cant use external funds? its a joke. Its not about keeping debt down, like i said its just meant to keep the big clubs big, its all i lie from Platini.

Nothing directed at you, its just what i feel about FFP.
*applause*

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom