• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

I don't know why so many people think Arsenal and Chelsea will make top 4. The last three seasons in a row they've bought Ligue 1's hottest properties in Chamakh, Gervinho and Giroud, the first two have been total flops. Podolski has a bit more credibility but he is still a gamble, his recent form is atrocious. I don't think it will be that easy for them to adjust, this will be the first season where all 3 of Adebayor, Eduardo and Van Persie are gone, and without them the weak defence will have nowhere to hide.

RVP and Martin Fulop's crucial contributions masked massive problems that a lot of pundits seem not to have noticed. Chelsea are in a similar situation, with Drogba gone their whole style of play no longer functions, as we can see from their pre-season. Spurs have a less sloppy defence than Arsenal and a more adventurous style than Chelsea, but with our dreadful striking options we are not going to get anywhere. Arsenal have the personnel but not the organisation and discipline, Spurs have a gaping hole up front, and Chelsea have a bunch of weak little dweebs up front combined with a style of football that no longer functions. I think all 3 could easily stumble at the first hurdle unless more additions and tactical changes are made ASAP.
I think the arguments for both Chelsea and Spurs slipping are sound, but I can't see Arsenal doing worse than they did last season. I wholeheartedly believe that the contributions of Cazorla, Giroud, and Podolski does make up for the loss of Van Persie, a move that's yet to even happen, and one that looks less and less likely with each passing day. I also don't like rating players based on prior exports from said league; sure, Chamakh and Gervinho were poor buys, but Giroud looks top class.

Just read that Deportivo de la Coruña is interested in a Bebé's loan.

LOL

:(

Sucks to be the Mendes showcase team...
Bebe is on fire right now. You definitely want him.

I think the arguments for both Chelsea and Spurs slipping are sound, but I can't see Arsenal doing worse than they did last season. I wholeheartedly believe that the contributions of Cazorla, Giroud, and Podolski does make up for the loss of Van Persie, a move that's yet to even happen, and one that looks less and less likely with each passing day. I also don't like rating players based on prior exports from said league; sure, Chamakh and Gervinho were poor buys, but Giroud looks top class.
Through the team they probably make up for him. But RVP won Arsenal a ridiculous amount of points through moments of magic.

That can't be replaced by an even spread of players. You need a player with that talent and ability to pull something out of the hat when the team needs it most. If Arsenal lose RVP, they'll miss that. We still miss it from Ronaldo.

Bumhead

Banned
Love it when an ITK source turns out to be a players wife.

Michael Antonio's missus has just Tweeted "Its done!" and "House hunting in Sheffield".

Fucking yes. Our summer saga is over. Welcome (back) to Hillsborough, Mr Antonio.

Arnie

To be honest I hope we sell Agger to United to cover for Vidic's bad back, all so we can secure Bebe on a season long loan. He's got 'Bellamy replacement' written all over him with those pre-season performances.

Michael Antonio's missus has just Tweeted "Its done!" and "House hunting in Sheffield".

Fucking yes. Our summer saga is over. Welcome (back) to Hillsborough, Mr Antonio.
Hope the fitty makes camp in Crookesmoore.

Wilbur

Banned

I'm glad one of us is happy this year. Sweet.

Where do you see yourself finishing this year? Was gonna shove you in my top six when I realised I'd put Leeds twice but I decided against it.

Shamoon Hafez ‏@ShamoonHafez
Lucas Moura agent denies deal with any club: “First he was at Man United, now he belongs to PSG. Everyone is trying to build their story."

Screw this guy. He's playing an absolute blinder. AGENTS SUCK.

Congrats. It's a great feeling.

Wilbur

Banned
I'll be ecstatic if I'm proved wrong and my mind is changed, but I really don't want Moura. I don't like the idea of there genuinely being £40m that we've put aside for him and RVP and it isn't being spent on decent cover or replacement for Evra and a top class centre midfielder.

The more I think about it, the more it fucks me right off.

offshore

Can you guys please put in a bid for Nile Ranger as well while you're at it. LOL.

Sigh. This muppet window has been so depressing for many of us.

Is it like this every year?
Yes.

I'll be ecstatic if I'm proved wrong and my mind is changed, but I really don't want Moura. I don't like the idea of there genuinely being £40m that we've put aside for him and RVP and it isn't being spent on decent cover or replacement for Evra and a top class centre midfielder.

Beggars can't be choosers - this is how I rationalise it.

Clegg

SAF is never signing another CM, ever.

I think hes paranoid after what happened with Hargreaves and Anderson.

Veron didn't go so well either.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Sigh. This muppet window has been so depressing for many of us.

Is it like this every year?
For Juve? Yes. And it always ends in disappointment.

Aznlo0yCUAACG8c.jpg

Eh, not worried about Buffon, Storari is fantastic. I'm worried about nationals like Pirlo and Vidal, both seem off pace still, and then there's our defensive line. Be it Barzagli-Masi-Lucio or Barzagli-Marrone-Lucio ... yeah, looks like a recipe for disaster. Chiellini and Caceres (and Bonucci :/) can't come back soon enough. Fingers crossed.

Any lineup without Chiellini is a disaster :(

Bumhead

Banned
I'm glad one of us is happy this year. Sweet.

Where do you see yourself finishing this year? Was gonna shove you in my top six when I realised I'd put Leeds twice but I decided against it.

Realistically, mid table. But with form, luck and one or two more quality signings there's no reason why we can't push towards a top-8 finish. Its that sort of division, though.

Antonio is a huge signing for us. He will be in the Premier League within the next 3 seasons be it with us or someone else so its a coup for sure. He adds big quality to our side and its a huge relief to get this one done.

Can you guys please put in a bid for Nile Ranger as well while you're at it. LOL.

Honestly im surprised we haven't! Jones rates him and we only have 3 strikers at present.

Realistically, mid table. But with form, luck and one or two more quality signings there's no reason why we can't push towards a top-8 finish. Its that sort of division, though.

Antonio is a huge signing for us. He will be in the Premier League within the next 3 seasons be it with us or someone else so its a coup for sure. He adds big quality to our side and its a huge relief to get this one done.
Can he play CM?

3Sixty

Well done, decent signing. Hope he stays focused and does well.

Got alot of time for Wednesday and Dave Jones.

Lee Barnard might be on his way to Bournemouth, you guys should jump on that.

This is a fantastic article on Roy Keane. Highly reccomend all United fans read this but even if you're not and you have the time, check it out.

Roy Keane - Robot, Madman, Winner

Some excerpts below highlighting why United need a player like him so badly right now, not just in playing style but mentality.

“NO ONE WILL remember me in 20 or 30 years time. In comparison to George Best, I won’t be remembered. And that’s fine – why should I be?”
It is the spring of 2001, and I’m sitting opposite Roy Keane in a photographer’s studio in Manchester. At the time he is the best player in Britain and the reigning Footballer of the Year, so I am more than little surprised to find myself having to convince him of his standing in the game.
“Because you captained one of the greatest club sides of all time,” I tell him.
“Ah, there’s been a lot of great United captains: Steve Bruce, Bryan Robson, Eric
Cantona…”
“But none of them enjoyed your success. You captained United to the treble.”
“You tell me what that means? That was two years ago. That’s the problem, people are always looking back. United won the European Cup in 1968 and didn’t stop going on about it until we won it again.”
“They would always talk about the great teams of the Ron Atkinson era who didn’t win anything… OK, they won the FA Cup a couple of times. People need to set their standards a bit higher and not live in the past.”
“Who ever said I want to be remembered anyway? Why should I worry about what people think about me in the future? I might be dead tomorrow.”

And I absolutely love this.

Gary Neville tells a story of texting Keane with his new mobile number, and receiving a text straight back from him, which said: “So what.”

There's only one Keano...

Wilbur

Banned
This is a fantastic article on Roy Keane. Highly reccomend all United fans read this but even if you're not and you have the time, check it out.

Some excerpts below highlighting why United need a player like him so badly right now, not just in playing style but mentality.

One of the greatest players I've ever seen; very underrated ability wise but his determination, his will, his strength. Really miss Keane. I really do.

Hixx

But he's also a bit mental.

"Yorke told how, during one half-time break, Keane asked the Sunderland kit man to put up the tactics board, then ran over, kung-fu kicked it, slapped his captain around the head and told his team: 'I can't trust any of you any more.'"

Wilbur

Banned
A proper, full on, nailed to the wall JT too. Makes Suarez look like Jesus.

Roy Keane never bit anyone. He kicked the fuck out of people, but biting? My word.

But he's also a bit mental.

"Yorke told how, during one half-time break, Keane asked the Sunderland kit man to put up the tactics board, then ran over, kung-fu kicked it, slapped his captain around the head and told his team: 'I can't trust any of you any more.'"

To be fair, who hasn't wanted to slap Dwight Yorke around the head?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7gehzhS6Vzo

We need another United - Juve match.

Wilbur

Banned
SAF is the same man who converted Alan Smith to CM. Maybe he plans to do it again!

That was such an odd signing. I remember his volley against Norwich on the opening day and thinking holy fuck, and then us losing 2-0 at Carrow Road and Dean Ashton destroying our defence. That was the day I vowed never to support Manchester United again.

Come on you Canaries

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom