• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Salvadora

Morsel, I need a new avatar :'(

pLJ5f.jpg

GorillaJu

5 goals and 5 assists for Kagawa by the turn of the year.

As long as he gets a starting role most games, which he should really...but you never know with Fergie-san.

I don't know how he'd be starting most games with United's current set up. And if you've been watching Dortmund or Japan you'll see him greatly lose effectiveness when he's pushed out wide

It looks like one of three options for Shinji:
1) Ferguson plays him behind Rooney and doesn't buy RVP
2) He plays as CM in a 4-4-2 with Rooney and RVP up front
3) He is used sparingly as a sub or rotated with Rooney and RVP
4) He is played out wide in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3

3 of those 4 options would see a reduced effectiveness compared to Dortmund. Only #1 would have him played to his strengths.

I think he'll have a good season he just won't be the same player he was for Dortmund.

Kyoufu

Actually my new set of predictions:

1. City
2. Man United
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Tottenheim
6. Liverpool

Reason I took Newcastle out was because we're thinking of the first game with Tottenheim half-heartedly thinking we'll be fine without improvements made to the first team. Given our fixtures, it's looking likely we'll have no points for the first month or so :/

Liverpool over Everton, but not by much.

Bless you.

Labadal

1. MCity
2. Chelsea
3. MUnited
4. Arsenal
5. Liverpool
6. Tootenham
7. Newcastle

Top 4 teams will be way ahead of the other teams. Team 5-7 will be battling for those spots. Liverpool in 5th place is a bit koptimistic, and I don't know if we actually have what it takes, but I'll go with this if nothing else changes. Teams are still buying players. Depending on who MUnited decide to sign, I might tip them as champions.

I don't know how he'd be starting most games with United's current set up. And if you've been watching Dortmund or Japan you'll see him greatly lose effectiveness when he's pushed out wide

It looks like one of three options for Shinji:
1) Ferguson plays him behind Rooney and doesn't buy RVP
2) He plays as CM in a 4-4-2 with Rooney and RVP up front
3) He is used sparingly as a sub or rotated with Rooney and RVP
4) He is played out wide in a 4-2-3-1 or 4-3-3

3 of those 4 options would see a reduced effectiveness compared to Dortmund. Only #1 would have him played to his strengths.

I think he'll have a good season he just won't be the same player he was for Dortmund.
I don't think we'll get RVP.

I see Kagawa playing off Rooney and then sometimes wide or in CM.

We'll see I guess but I think he's going to be a pretty key player for us this season. Brings something completely different to the side and it will show IMO. At least that's what I hope...he's definitely talented enough for it.

FFP is a load of wank, all it is to keep the big clubs big and the small clubs small.

There is no salary cap but you have to spend within your renvenue? How can a club meant compete against a bigger club with a smaller revenue? They cant, its just a flawed system like equivalent to amercanized luxery tax rule in their sports.

It doesnt even make sense at all, so theres no salary cap but you cant use external funds? its a joke. Its not about keeping debt down, like i said its just meant to keep the big clubs big, its all i lie from Platini.

Nothing directed at you, its just what i feel about FFP.

Good post. Tying spending ability to revenue stream is fucking myopic and does nothing but strengthen the status quo.

Salary caps will happen at some point I think.

Wilbur

Banned
My predictions from a few weeks ago which I will stick to for now:

Fuck it, gonna do it. Subject to change.

1. Man City
2. Man United
3. Arsenal
4. Spurs
----------
5. Chelsea
6. Liverpool
7. Everton
8. Newcastle
9. Fulham
10. Aston Villa
11. Sunderland
12. QPR
13. West Ham
14. Stoke
15. Swansea
16. Reading
17. Southampton
----------
18.Norwich
19. Wigan
20. West Brom

FA Cup - Tottenham
Carling Cup - Man. United
Champions League - Real Madrid
Europa League - Man. City

Serie A

1. Juventus
2. Inter
3. Roma
4. Milan

La Liga

1. Real Madrid
2. Barcelona
3. Atletico
4. Valencia

Bundesliga

1. Dortmund
2. Bayern
3. Schalke
4. Bremen

Ligue One

1. PSG
2. Lille
3. Lyon
4. Montpelier

Championship

1. Wolves
2. Leicester
3. Hull
4. Blackburn
5. Charlton
6. Leeds

Portuguese Liga

1. Porto
2. Benfica
3. Sporting
4. Braga

Eredivisie

1. Ajax
2. Twente
3. Feyenoord
4. AZ

Slizz

Is Moura really going to PSG? Fergie couldn't seal the deal?

Even with a salary cap it won't do shit, unless you cap every big league the same which would be very hard to do. And even with the salary cap the big teams most of the time still win. At least it's that way in all American Sports.

Labadal

Is Moura really going to PSG? Fergie couldn't seal the deal?

Even with a salary cap it won't do shit, unless you cap every big league the same which would be very hard to do. And even with the salary cap the big teams most of the time still win. At least it's that way in all American Sports.

Who's that butt ugly ckick in your avatar?

1. MCity
2. Chelsea
3. MUnited
4. Arsenal
5. Liverpool
6. Tootenham
7. Newcastle
8. Everton
9. Aston Villa
10. Swansea
11. Sunderland
12. Fulham
13. Stoke
14. Wigan
15. Southampton
16. QPR
17. West Brom
18. Norwich
19. West Ham
20. Reading

Kyoufu

I think Barca will win La Liga now that David Villa is back. They really really missed him last season. Maybe even Champions League too.

Arnie

Hmm dunno, his buddy Nolan is there, after all. Both of them were our top scorers back in the day, and a big reason why Carroll got called up to England. Probably the possibility of joining permanently that killed it. A season long loan there who have done him good IMO, especially with Sam in charge. Carroll would have been the main man and then some.

Carroll to West Ham to link up with Nolan is more ridiculous that Cavani to Liverpool to link up with Suarez. Both are huge leaps of logic.

So apparently it's Barcelona, and not City, who're leading the hunt for Agger. Wouldn't be surprised if we demanded one of their loanable players (Tello, Affelay) on top of the cash, especially after Rodgers comments about speaking to top European managers about loans.

£20 million, plus Tello for a couple of seasons would be too good an offer to turn down, considering Agger's 27 years old and is a 20 game a season player, on average.

Labadal

Carroll to West Ham to link up with Nolan is more ridiculous that Cavani to Liverpool to link up with Suarez. Both are huge leaps of logic.

So apparently it's Barcelona, and not City, who're leading the hunt for Agger. Wouldn't be surprised if we demanded one of their loanable players (Tello, Affelay) on top of the cash, especially after Rodgers comments about speaking to top European managers about loans.

£20 million, plus Tello for a couple of seasons would be too good an offer to turn down, considering Agger's 27 years old and is a 20 game a season player, on average.

I'd rather have Pedro, criminally underrated. He didn't get enough playtime in Barcelona last season.

Meier

I'm not expecting Arsenal to finish in the top 4 if RVP goes (and maybe even if he stays). Not impressed by Podolski and Giroud is a bit unproven at the international level. He had a great year at Montpelier but Ligue 1 success doesn't necessarily translate to PL success. I think the top 4 will be City, United, Chelsea, Spurs.

Arnie

I'd rather have Pedro, criminally underrated. He didn't get enough playtime in Barcelona last season.

I'd drop my left nut for Pedro, but I see him as too good to come to Liverpool at this current time. He's insanely consistent. Looks like a JT though, can see him get on opposing fans tits. Not as much as Bale's chimp gimp smile, though.

I'm not expecting Arsenal to finish in the top 4 if RVP goes (and maybe even if he stays). Not impressed by Podolski and Giroud is a bit unproven at the international level. He had a great year at Montpelier but Ligue 1 success doesn't necessarily translate to PL success. I think the top 4 will be City, United, Chelsea, Spurs.
If Modric goes I'm saying Spurs are the ones who fall; can't see them getting fourth without him, let alone without any strikers.

Wilbur

Banned

People say this about Arsenal every year. Every year United will fall out of the top 3 and Arsenal will fall out of the top 4 and every year the opposite happens.

Arnie

People say this about Arsenal every year. Every year United will fall out of the top 3 and Arsenal will fall out of the top 4 and every year the opposite happens.

On the contrary, this year I see Arsenal coming second.

I think RVP will stay, Cazorla will be boss, and Podolski and Girous finally offer some depth up front.

I'm sorry guys, but it's Liverpool's year.
May as well get it out of the way.

iHo20zW18FmBc.gif

I'm Bertrand in this scene.

GorillaJu

We should not even consider selling Agger to Barcelona if a loan is part of the deal. Tello is one dimensional. He shouldn't cost more than 8m, so the only reason I could see something like that coming off is if there's a buy option in a loan clause, and not a buy-back clause on Barça's part.

This is a rare situation where the player is happy to stay and we're in the stronger position in any negotiations. Agger isn't going to be turned by the "come back to your homeland" bullshit that got Fabregas at a cut price – either bleed the fuckers for all they're worth, or don't do business.

Meier

Very true -- they could just as well stay there but with the money Chelsea is throwing around and the fact that I'm a big fan of AVB, I expect the chances Arsenal get squeezed out this year are even higher. I do think (hope?!) Adebayor to Spurs gets sorted out.

Arnie

We should not even consider selling Agger to Barcelona if a loan is part of the deal. Tello is one dimensional. He shouldn't cost more than 8m, so the only reason I could see something like that coming off is if there's a buy option in a loan clause, and not a buy-back clause on Barça's part.

This is a rare situation where the player is happy to stay and we're in the stronger position in any negotiations. Agger isn't going to be turned by the "come back to your homeland" bullshit that got Fabregas at a cut price – either bleed the fuckers for all they're worth, or don't do business.
I'd love it if we took such a Levyistic stance on the whole thing, but I feel a combination of temptation over selling such an injury prone player for such a high price, plus the desperation to fill up our fast depleting forward line (bye bye Bellamy), will force us into a negotiation, rather than a full assault on opposing team's bank accounts.
It's Bertram. Hang your head in shame Arnie.
I even googled it too, and autocorrect told me it was Bertrand.

Brb, going to hang myself.

GorillaJu

I'd love it if we took such a Levyistic stance on the whole thing, but I feel a combination of temptation over selling such an injury prone player for such a high price, plus the desperation to fill up our fast depleting forward line (bye bye Bellamy), will force us into a negotiation, rather than a full assault on opposing team's bank accounts.

I even googled it too, and autocorrect told me it was Bertrand.

Brb, going to hang myself.

I think you're correct there. I wouldn't cut myself if we sold Agger. If we got someone like Amorebieta or Sakho to replace him, I don't think we'd come off too poorly. We'd lose one of our star players but we could get his replacement for less than half that price, and we'd hopefully be getting a CB who will stay fit for a whole season, as last season for Agger was an anomaly in terms of injuries, IMO.

If we didn't give him to City and instead Barcelona, I'd be less gutted as well, because I wouldn't have to see him week in week out in what would be the best CB partnership in the league.

Similarly to Carroll, the only thing I ask for is that we do the market molesting, not vice versa.

Zabojnik

Buffon is still injured. Yikes!

Aznlo0yCUAACG8c.jpg

Eh, not worried about Buffon, Storari is fantastic. I'm worried about nationals like Pirlo and Vidal, both seem off pace still, and then there's our defensive line. Be it Barzagli-Masi-Lucio or Barzagli-Marrone-Lucio ... yeah, looks like a recipe for disaster. Chiellini and Caceres (and Bonucci :/) can't come back soon enough. Fingers crossed.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
I don't know why so many people think Arsenal and Chelsea will make top 4. The last three seasons in a row they've bought Ligue 1's hottest properties in Chamakh, Gervinho and Giroud, the first two have been total flops. Podolski has a bit more credibility but he is still a gamble, his recent form is atrocious. I don't think it will be that easy for them to adjust, this will be the first season where all 3 of Adebayor, Eduardo and Van Persie are gone, and without them the weak defence will have nowhere to hide.

RVP and Martin Fulop's crucial contributions masked massive problems that a lot of pundits seem not to have noticed. Chelsea are in a similar situation, with Drogba gone their whole style of play no longer functions, as we can see from their pre-season. Spurs have a less sloppy defence than Arsenal and a more adventurous style than Chelsea, but with our dreadful striking options we are not going to get anywhere. Arsenal have the personnel but not the organisation and discipline, Spurs have a gaping hole up front, and Chelsea have a bunch of weak little dweebs up front combined with a style of football that no longer functions. I think all 3 could easily stumble at the first hurdle unless more additions and tactical changes are made ASAP.

keit4

Banned
Just read that Deportivo de la Coruña is interested in a Bebé's loan.

LOL

:(

Sucks to be the Mendes showcase team...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom