• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Why? For not bowing to the moronic pressures and fucking off to Italy?

Brave lad, for sure, but it's commendable.

Not for that.

But he could easily find himself in the same situation as Modric. Wanting to leave but a long term contract is holding him back.

Meier

I'm very interested in seeing if/when Marco Fabian moves to Europe. I was surprised he didn't move last year after his goals against Barca in that preseason friendly. He really showed his stuff. He's been consistently good for the Mexican international team.

Clegg

Hey Clegg, my cousin's husband is related to Katie Taylor apparently. I'm sort of related to an Olympian.

Does he have her number?

I wouldn't kick her out of bed.

She'd probably kick the shit of of you if you even tried.

She also played for the Irish Womens football team.

So she could beat the shit out of you and school you in 5 a side.

Wilbur

Banned
Does he have her number?

I wouldn't kick her out of bed.

She'd probably kick the shit of of you if you even tried.

She also played for the Irish Womens football team.

So she could beat the shit out of you and school you in 5 a side.

This post went from softly arousing to vaguely threatening.

Arnie

Not for that.

But he could easily find himself in the same situation as Modric. Wanting to leave but a long term contract is holding him back.

Just seen his interview on LFC TV about the contract.

Believe me when I say Suarez isn't in any rush to leave, any time soon, and he believes the club itself is more important than playing in Champions League football.

He also said he's happy off the field, so happy on it, and him and his family love the city, and the fans give him all the support he needs.

Is that Sahin quote real?

"If I'm forced to temporarily leave England is a league that interests me. I always have admired teams like Manchester, Arsenal and Chelsea. Tottenham are a good team, and Mourinho has told me that Villas Boas is a very good guy. It would be kind of funny when Modric went to Madrid, and I went to London"

"I would not be interested in a team that are not competitive, such as Newcastle or Liverpool. When I am gone, I would like to improve as a player and to do that I have play with other quality players, which I do not have at those clubs."

naughtonbalegzrqp.gif

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Strange quotes from RDM:

He added: "There will not be radical changes. We will try to make some changes. With the integration of these new players, inevitably we will change how we play a bit.

But I never said we were going to play attacking football, we will play to try and win games."

Why buy all those CAMs then? I guess they are going to carry on playing like Greece, only this time in the league as well as the CL.

Arnie

Whilst I wouldn't begrudge the lad for not wanting to come to Liverpool, because like he says, we aren't challenging, there's no way Spurs are challenging this coming season, either.

In regards to those RDM comments, it would be remarkable for a team who buys the likes of Hazard, Marin, and Oscar not to play with more attacking flair. Wasn't their previous comments from him about playing in a more attack minded way, though? Perhaps he's re-assessed after their extra calamitous pre-season and decided on a middle ground. Like AVB found, I still believe that defence really isn't capable of supporting a massively attacking mindset. They still need a boss DM, as well as a new CB and RB, in my opinion.

Whilst I wouldn't begrudge the lad for not wanting to come to Liverpool, because like he says, we aren't challenging, there's no way Spurs are challenging this coming season, either.

He didn't say you weren't challenging, he said you weren't competitive and that you don't have quality players.

But Feorax says it isn't real anyway. Makes sense, players don't usually say things like that.

GorillaJu

Just read this Sahin quote on another forum. Obviously could be slightly mis-translated.

"No, I don't think I'll be leaving Madrid this year. I love my life here and I'm very happy, even though I did not play every week last season.

"I have read the papers, yes. I do not think about the speculation, especially from clubs without any quality, and dickhole managers such as Tottenham Hotspur."

Lightning

Banned
Why? For not bowing to the moronic pressures and fucking off to Italy?

Brave lad, for sure, but it's commendable.
To be honest I'm glad he's sticking it out. Fantastic talent. If he can pull his head in with his antics he is a great asset to not just Liverpool but the premier league in general.

Clegg

Katie Taylors list of achievements is absurd. Shes won gold in the 60KG division in all of these events. There wouldn't be womens boxing in the Olympics if it wasn't for her. She is probably the biggest sports star in Ireland right now.
2005 European Amateur Championships
2006 European Amateur Championships
2006 World Amateur Championship
2007 European Amateur Championships
2008 European Union Amateur Championships
2008 World Amateur Championship
2009 European Union Amateur Championship
2009 Russian Multi-Nations event
2009 European Amateur Championships
2010 European Union Amateur Championships
2010 World Amateur Championship
2011 European Union Amateur Championships
2011 European Amateur Championship
2012 World Amateur Championship

LegoArmo

The difference between Spurs and Liverpool is that one of them will finish 8th again, and the other will be fighting for the top 4.

Arnie

The difference between Spurs and Liverpool is that one of them will finish 8th again, and the other will be fighting for the top 4.
Whilst I can conceive we'll finish 8th again, I can't conceive Spurs finishing in the top four without Modric. Let alone trying to implement a completely new style of play.

They have signed Vertonghen, though, who could be one of the signings of the summer.

GorillaJu

Are we really gonna argue the differences between Spurs and Liverpool?

One finished fourth, one finished eighth.

Apparently we're going to post fake quotes as if they're real because they're what we want to hear.

Spurs are a decent team for one constantly in the shadow of another north London club. But how about that chairman, eh?

Wilbur

Banned
Apparently we're going to post fake quotes as if they're real because they're what we want to hear.

Spurs are a decent team for one constantly in the shadow of another north London club. But how about that chairman, eh?

He asked if it was real. He then conceded it was made up. Don't see what the problem is with that to be honest.

And their chairman's great, if you ask me. Runs the club very well.

Arnie

Are we really gonna argue the differences between Spurs and Liverpool?

One finished fourth, one finished eighth.

Both replaced their manager. Both are implementing new styles. Both could be losing one of their best players and reinforcing with the money gained from said deal. Both could be massively different next year.

And that's not to imply I think Liverpool will suddenly rise from the ashes and assault the top four, I think it's more probably that Spurs will slip in the immediate future, whilst AVB sets his stall out.

I've said it numerous times but the loss of Modric would be huge. Like RVP though, that whole thing's dragging on so persistently I've got a suspicion he might end up staying. Again.

Ushojax

Whilst I can conceive we'll finish 8th again, I can't conceive Spurs finishing in the top four without Modric. Let alone trying to implement a completely new style of play.

They have signed Vertonghen, though, who could be one of the signings of the summer.

There's isn't going to be a new style of play. It will be the same 4411/4231 we saw under Harry, AVB has said he won't throw out that system. What needs to change is our use of the squad, not our style of play. AVB threw out the high line after the game against Galaxy.

Wilbur

Banned
Both replaced their manager. Both are implementing new styles. Both could be losing one of their best players and reinforcing with the money gained from said deal. Both could be massively different next year.

And that's not to imply I think Liverpool will suddenly rise from the ashes and assault the top four, I think it's more probably that Spurs will slip in the immediate future, whilst AVB sets his stall out.

I've said it numerous times but the loss of Modric would be huge. Like RVP though, that whole thing's dragging on so persistently I've got a suspicion he might end up staying. Again.

And yet I could still see Sahin picking Spurs easily over Liverpool because a) they look more inclined to offer more money, b) they have recent form and a team that has recently qualified for the Champions League (despite rules going against them), c) a proven European manager, d) a place in the squad if Modric goes compared to a packed CM for Liverpool.

I agree with you about Modric but I still think Spurs are the more attractive proposition.

Arnie

There's isn't going to be a new style of play. It will be the same 4411/4231 we saw under Harry, AVB has said he won't throw out that system. What needs to change is our use of the squad, not our style of play.
A system is much more than just a formation.

Chelsea will have taught him to implement his ideas far more gradually than he did at Stamford Bridge, but you'd be a fool to think he won't begin implementing his new ideas this season.
And yet I could still see Sahin picking Spurs easily over Liverpool because a) they look more inclined to offer more money, b) they have recent form and a team that has recently qualified for the Champions League (despite rules going against them), c) a proven European manager, d) a place in the squad if Modric goes compared to a packed CM for Liverpool.

I agree with you about Modric but I still think Spurs are the more attractive proposition.
All plausible arguments. My aversion to that faux quote is lumping Spurs in with Arsenal and United, not that Spurs might be more attractive than Liverpool. Gylfi already proved that.

There's isn't going to be a new style of play. It will be the same 4411/4231 we saw under Harry, AVB has said he won't throw out that system. What needs to change is our use of the squad, not our style of play. AVB threw out the high line after the game against Galaxy.

Fingers crossed we have some strikers to rotate. I can't remember the last time shift 'n' shoot scored against a good team.

GorillaJu

I don't think you're wrong Wilbury but do you really consider Villas Boas a proven manager? He won the Europa League and Portugese League with a team consisting of Hulk, Falcao, Moutinho, and others. Not exactly a difficult proposition.

He had one season in the PL and he bombed.

He also sounds like he has a chainsaw motor for a voice box.

Ushojax

Apart from Adebayor, who has been rumoured to be coming in for Spurs? Hulk?

Damiao, Rondon, Remy, there have been a few names but nothing solid.

Fingers crossed we have some strikers to rotate. I can't remember the last time shift 'n' shoot scored against a good team.

City in January? He scored on the last day against Fulham (lol) as well.

Arnie

Apart from Adebayor, who has been rumoured to be coming in for Spurs? Hulk?

Rumours they went in for Damaio today.

I'd agree about the RB. It seems like the Azpilicueta deal might happen. Another centre back would be nice, but the 4 we have aren't bad.

Might not be popular opinion but I think your biggest improvement is needed in DM.

I don't rate Mikel or Essien (he's crocked now, unfortunately) at all. They can't provide the protection that the defence needs, and it's exactly this fragility that's exposing your defence to such relentless bombardment. Terry's legs are going, and Luiz is a nutter; they're both quality centre backs but they need protecting. If they're more secure in their job, the team can attack with a bit more vigour.

I don't think you're wrong Wilbury but do you really consider Villas Boas a proven manager? He won the Europa League and Portugese League with a team consisting of Hulk, Falcao, Moutinho, and others. Not exactly a difficult proposition.

1. City
2. Spurs
3. Arsenal
4. United
5. Chelsea
6. Liverpool

?

Kyoufu

He didn't really bomb in the PL. Maybe to Chelsea's expectations but he was 4th or 5th at the time of his sacking with a team that didn't even play for him.

Wilbur

Banned

Winning the Europa League is a difficult proposition, regardless of the players he had. It's a continental competition. It's like saying Barca have no excuses for not winning the CL with their players, but its not as easy as that. He also went unbeaten with Porto, something Mourinho didn't do.

He bombed at Chelsea but it seems like a difficult club to do it at. They're the club that sacked Mourinho. Every time they've done well since - Grant, Hiddink, RDM and Ancelotti - have all been company men who have given a lot of the power to the players. I think Ancelotti's fantastic but working under Berlusconi and Abramovich must have been pretty similar situations.

His voice makes me erect.

Ushojax

He didn't really bomb in the PL. Maybe to Chelsea's expectations but he was 4th or 5th at the time of his sacking with a team that didn't even play for him.

His points per game was better than RDMs. He made a lot of mistakes but the league position was about right given the squad.

Arnie

Sigurdsson's shite

I gave off an expression akin to a bemused Karl Pilkington when he score that worldie curler against New York Red Bulls. We missed out big time with that one.

His points per game was better than RDMs. He made a lot of mistakes but the league position was about right given the squad.
Whilst I agree he was given short shrift for his work in the league, considering the squad, there was a greater pre-occupation for the first team squad during RDM's stint because of the latter stages of the FA Cup and the CL. It's still an important statistic though, and one that should neuter Chelsea's expectations slightly for the coming season. I think predictions that they'll finish above City, United, or even Arsenal are wild.

GorillaJu

Bungie you have a penchant for making things as personal as possible. I posted a screwy list deliberately as everyone else basically had the top 6 or 7 unchanged from last year. I have no real interest in predicting something so far away, especially when the transfer window isn't over yet. We still have a few more stars to sell.

I'm also asking a question about Wilbury's opinion on Villas Boas and the information I did present would be difficult to argue against, no?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom