• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
I think we'll get Pazzini too in a swap for Quagliarella.

But we're definitely getting one of RVP, Dzeko, or Llorente. I mean, at this point, it's inconceivable given that we're willing to throw around 20m+ offers that we can't convince one of those three teams and their player to join us.

Arnie

Can't find anywhere that I can bet on Llorente to Juve.

In Betfred's list of 'Elite European Football Leagues' it lists Bundesliga, La Liga, and Ligue 1. Serie A isn't listed.

:lol

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Damiao with another shitty goal! He scores WAY too many shitty goals though, it might actually work!
Can't find anywhere that I can bet on Llorente to Juve.

In Betfred's list of 'Elite European Football Leagues' it lists Bundesliga, La Liga, and Ligue 1. Serie A isn't listed.

:lol

You'll find it under 'Award-Winning Circus'.

Wilbur

Banned
I think we'll get Pazzini too in a swap for Quagliarella.

But we're definitely getting one of RVP, Dzeko, or Llorente. I mean, at this point, it's inconceivable given that we're willing to throw around 20m+ offers that we can't convince one of those three teams and their player to join us.

All of them would be great for Juve I think, but value for money I reckon Dzeko is the best bet.

Wilbur

Banned
I think that list scales one way for ability, and the opposite way for value. I'd go for the naughty 'Lion King' middle ground.

proper naughty

I always remember that Llorente isn't the youngster a lot of media make him out to be when Bilbao's young fresh team is heralded though.

Carbonox

Shocked that Newcastle's preseason has actually been a success (transfer window not included) for the first time in years. Bigirimana and Amalfitano though have been fantastic acquisitions. Plus Marveaux is finally showing his quality. We've only lost once and that was the very first game when everyone was upside down from the break.

Chuffed to bits.

Shocked that Newcastle's preseason has actually been a success (transfer window not included) for the first time in years. Bigirimana and Amalfitano though have been fantastic acquisitions. Plus Marveaux is finally showing his quality. We've only lost once and that was the very first game when everyone was upside down from the break.

Chuffed to bits.

Yep! Not adding to the first team is disappointing at this point but at the start of the window my biggest wish was holding on to Cabaye, Tiote, Ba, Cisse, Ben Arfa, Colo etc etc. The fact that it looks like we might just do that is a bloody good victory. Adding some good younger players is also promising and not as doom and gloom as some (Kyoufu I'm looking at you!) are making out.

Kyoufu

Chuffed to bits.

That was Hartlepool. Calm the fuck down. Too much optimism. We still haven't bought senior players. COMMENCE PANIC.

Cabaye not playing has sparked rumours of PSG buying him for big money. lol

Can a 4-3-3 not become a 4-5-1 when defending?
Can a 4-4-2 not become a 4-4-1-1 when defending, or even a 4-3-3 when attacking?
3-5-2 could become 5-3-2 defending, 3-3-4 when attacking and so on.

Be fluid and allow creativity and freedom, let players play football, but of course coach the teamwork and understanding of defensive shape at the same time. Always get the impression that coaches spend hours and hours coaching defending and defensive shape, and even when its time to attack they're still focusing on defensive shape.

"Its easier to destroy then it is to create." Often said by my boss and regional coaching tutor. He spends most of his time looking at how to attack and create, while he'll do a handful of defensive sessions at the start of the season as a refresher.

Yes but under Capello it was obvious that it was never a traditional 4-4-2 anyway, the only thing indicating that it was was the presence of 2 strikers on the pitch. In fact, with Rooney frequently dropping deep, far more so than Heskey or Defoe the formation was far more like a 4-2-3-1 with Rooney in the Gerrard role (meanwhile Gerrard was deployed on the left, again a departure from the 4-4-2 which calls for traditional wingers). Commentators just looked at the team sheet and said it was 4-4-2, not considering what was actually happening in the game.

edit: Also, to both Viva & elsk, I must say I find your assertion incorrect. Why, because it is 4-4-2, must it be flat? As though the manager specifically tells his players "Alright, you're gonna play a 4-4-2, so what I want you to do is stay flat, don't move & avoid finding space". Why would playing in a 4-2-3-1 inherently cause players to be more able to find space, good players will find it regardless I feel. The only reason why they would specifically not find space is if the manager wanted to play a defensive game, which is what the likes of Stoke and Hodgson do. It often proves an effective tactic as well, particularly if your players are worse than the opposition.
It doesn't have to be flat. Just England play it that way.

Meier

Llorente seemed like an ideal replacement for Dzeko in my mind if he was sold (due to his height). I was not impressed by his performance in the big matches I saw at the end of this past season but he has a great record. Would love to have him at City.

dc89

Llorente seemed like an ideal replacement for Dzeko in my mind if he was sold (due to his height). I was not impressed by his performance in the big matches I saw at the end of this past season but he has a great record. Would love to have him at City.

I'd love to have anyone right now.

I'd love to have anyone right now.

Scott%20Sinclair_1.jpg

Clegg

On Llorente:

Athletic Club Bilbao ‏@Athletic_eng
Athletic Bilbao Spanish striker Fernando Llorente has rejected an offer of €4.5M a year from the Basque club and wants to leave.

Darren Can ‏@Darren_Can
Spurs wanted him last summer but wages proved the killer. Spanish press (salacious) linked United to him recently.

rodvik

Still desperate for Newcastle to come in with a reasonable bid for Carroll.

They did mate. Your lot got greedy. You should bite anybodys hand off who comes in for more than 15M and accept any bid (even with strings) thats gives you a cheeky ten.

Arnie

They did mate. Your lot got greedy. You should bite anybodys hand off who comes in for more than 15M.

I agree, they offered £13 million though. £15 million is our benchmark, and it's definitely not a greedy ask for Carroll who, despite having his critics (myself included) can offer more than enough value to a team who plays to his strengths. He won the most aerial duels last season, and he wasn't even a consistent starter.

Every time I watch Suarez's shimmy goal against United I get filled with joy. I was in the Anfield Road lower for that game, with a great view of it, and it was honestly one of my best memories from any live match, ever. Gerrard's free kick against United was pretty fucking brilliant last season too, but was tarnished by the overall result. Gerrard's hat trick against Everton was pretty perfect against Everton too, got stuck on the train from Uni because of some problem on the tracks, and only got to Anfield about 5 minutes after kick off, was pissed off I'd bothered because i'd rushed from Uni (2 hour train) to get there, I had to travel straight back, and it was on Sky. Turned out being one of the best experiences ever. Beats any gig, that's for sure.

Fair enough. I ninja edited my post. I reckon between 10 & 15 is what he is worth. With 15 being an auto accept.

I understand though that carroll is the issue right? he turned down West Ham already?
He turned down West Ham, but it's widely known he'd accept Newcastle. Problem is there's a feeling Newcastle want to come in with a last minute bid, which would then be worthless because we couldn't replace him and reinvest. Don't want another Meireles situation with £15 million just sat in the bank as the window closes.

rodvik

I agree, they offered £13 million though. £15 million is our benchmark, and it's definitely not a greedy ask for Carroll who, despite having his critics (myself included) can offer more than enough value to a team who plays to his strengths. He won the most aerial duels last season, and he wasn't even a consistent starter.

Fair enough. I ninja edited my post. I reckon between 10 & 15 is what he is worth. With 15 being an auto accept.

I understand though that carroll is the issue right? he turned down West Ham already?

Carbonox

He turned down West Ham cos he would only return to Newcastle if he had to leave. He wants to stay at Liverpool though.

Clegg

Mancini is at the Brazil game.

Prick better not be looking at Moura.

Would just solidify the thought that City have shit scouts so just go after Uniteds targets instead.

Meier

What a handsome devil.. even got his initials embroidered on his jacket!

9%20Mancini%20prepares%20for%20training.ashx

Mancini is at the Brazil game.

Prick better not be looking at Moura.

Would just solidify the thought that City have shit scouts so just go after Uniteds targets instead.

I read the other day we hired a new head scout since what seems like half of our department has gone to Liverpool (and Newcastle before that, yeah?).

Brazil is loaded, I'd be happy if he was looking at quite a number of their players.

Kyoufu

Problem is we don't even play to Carroll's strengths anymore. It's a bad buy for us. Especially at those prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom