• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
Do you guys think Hazard is worth 34 million? Or did Lille take advantage of Chelsea?

It's hardly taking advantage, just doing as any club would and get the best price. Chelsea had pretty much no competent wingers at the start of the window and desperately needed it, seeing as there's no quality wingers out there that Chelsea could get for less, yeah I think he will be worth it.

Clegg

Do you guys think Hazard is worth 34 million? Or did Lille take advantage of Chelsea?

Transfers in football have been so inflated for years that its impossible to judge a players "real value".

So no, I don't think Hazard is worth the £30+ that Chelsea paid for him.

Hazard will be "worth it".

Chelsea will probably have him for 6/7 years and he'll be a great player. They paid too much for him but so what, you have to these days. He'll have a big impact for them and that's all that matters.

K1LLER7

I'd expect someone of very top quality for 34m. We'll have to see how he does this season. Would expect someone like Silva, Fabregas, Ozil at that price.

United missed out on: Benzema, Villa, Hazard, Silva, Yaya, Lucas and possibly RVP in the last few seasons :(

Zabojnik

If Llorente comes to Juve then all this transfer merry-go-round shit was worth it. He's the striker I've wanted to come to Juve ever since I found out Cavani wouldn't come.

But either way it looks like we'll get someone. If Utd get Llorente, we'll get RVP, and vice-versa. If City get RVP we get Dzeko. I don't know if RVP or Dzeko can speak Italian already but Llorente is half there having played in Spain for so long.

And he's younger.
And he's not as fragile as RVP.

But frankly more than anything else I just want this saga to end so we can get on with it.

Llorente, eh? Well, what do you know. To the YouTube! Brb.

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be working at the moment. So ... what kind of striker is Llorente, exactly?

jtb

Banned

Lille took advantage of the fact that three clubs were willing to pay 34 million for him, two of them funded with oil money. I think he could be worth that price, certainly moreso than an unproven Brazillian wonder kid. 30-40m seems par for the course for those kinds of talents these days; a long term investment, but pretty proven and you know what you're getting. Aguero, Falcao (paid for with the Aguero money, but still...) both 30m+, Nasri 25m (and that was with just one year left on his contract). Think these days, the ceiling is close to ~40m... and we'll begin to see a lot of deals around that area for wonder kids, but not much more. Plus, they're young enough that they'll either come great, and if they don't they'll have decent resale value to recoup the losses.

So... in the current market, why not?

Clegg

Paulo Freitas ‏@Cynegeticus
L.Moura talked to 'Folha' after the game abt PSG: This is the good thing, I'll stay at SPFC until the end of the year. It's well underway'

It's over guys.

#MouraPowellFantasy

It was such a beautiful dream too...

I just hope that we move on to another target.

I really don't think we have enough in the squad right now to mount a challenge for the League and Champions League.

But the cynic in me thinks that we'll get the "value" speech from SAF and how he is "happy with the squad."

kharma45

I don't think he was worth that fee at the minute (for what he has achieved, where he has come from and in what league he played) but by the end of the season it could be money well spent.

Whilst he's done very well in Ligue 1 it's not the toughest in the world but he seems to have all the attributes that will see him live up to his fee.

It was such a beautiful dream too...

I just hope that we move on to another target.

I really don't think we have enough in the squad right now to mount a challenge for the League and Champions League.
Well, I'm not sure. Not long left in the window now.

Hazard was the original target and I'm guessing Moura was a fall-back. Do we really have a 3rd option lined up? And should we really even go to a 3rd option? If you miss out on 2 targets I'm not sure it makes sense to move on to another one...just because you feel you have to.

At the end of the day the question has to be that a club like Manchester United should not be missing out to two key transfers targets in one summer. Of course we're used to it, it happens every summer now.

As for Lucas himself. I'm not that fussed. It would have been great to have him but there was no desperate need. I just want us to buy someone, anyone.

I agree with you though, I don't think the squad has enough to go and challenge on both fronts. Tbh I am not even thinking about Europe for this season. The league is the most important thing and we need to get back to the top at home first.

Zabojnik

Uh, didn't Llorente play for Bilbao in the EL qualifying phase? Yeah, he did. Il Bilbao make it to EL, which seems extremely likely, he wouldn't be able to play in CL for us in the group stage. So, yeah, wtf? I'm calling bullshit.

EDIT: Okay, apparently they changed the rule this year, so he could play in CL regardless. My bad.

Wilbur

Banned
Paulo Freitas ‏@Cynegeticus
L.Moura talked to 'Folha' after the game abt PSG: This is the good thing, I'll stay at SPFC until the end of the year. It's well underway'

It's over guys.

#MouraPowellFantasy

Great, now please get a fucking centre midfielder. Fucking please.

Clegg

Well, I'm not sure. Not long left in the window now.

Hazard was the original target and I'm guessing Moura was a fall-back. Do we really have a 3rd option lined up? And should we really even go to a 3rd option? If you miss out on 2 targets I'm not sure it makes sense to move on to another one...just because you feel you have to.

At the end of the day the question has to be that a club like Manchester United should not be missing out to two key transfers targets in one summer. Of course we're used to it, it happens every summer now.

As for Lucas himself. I'm not that fussed. It would have been great to have him but there was no desperate need. I just want us to buy someone, anyone.

I agree with you though, I don't think the squad has enough to go and challenge on both fronts. Tbh I am not even thinking about Europe for this season. The league is the most important thing and we need to get back to the top at home first.

I wasn't just talking about an attacking mid like Lucas or Hazard. I was hoping that SAF would finally look to sign a CM. But the entire transfer market has been geared towards us looking at attacking players. Kagawa, Hazard and Lucas. I know SAF eventually sees Powell playing as a CM but he has played most of his football as a second striker.

TBH with the failure to sign Lucas and the likelihood that we won't get RVP, I think we're just about done for this transfer window.

I wasn't just talking about an attacking mid like Lucas or Hazard. I was hoping that SAF would finally look to sign a CM. But the entire transfer market has been geared towards us looking at attacking players. Kagawa, Hazard and Lucas. I know SAF eventually sees Powell playing as a CM but he has played most of his football as a second striker.

TBH with the failure to sign Lucas and the likelihood that we won't get RVP, I think we're just about done for this transfer window.
I agree we should look at CM but we haven't paid much attention to it all summer I doubt we will now.

We did bid for Moutinho earlier on so maybe we will revisit that.

I think RVP is still very possible, I'm not at all sure we will get him but I don't think it's dead just yet. Will be interest to see what United are willing to pay now that it seems Lucas is going elsewhere.

Clegg

I agree we should look at CM but we haven't paid much attention to it all summer I doubt we will now.

We did bid for Moutinho earlier on so maybe we will revisit that.

I think RVP is still very possible, I'm not at all sure we will get him but I don't think it's dead just yet. Will be interest to see what United are willing to pay now that it seems Lucas is going elsewhere.

TBH I just can't see Arsenal selling to us. I also can't see us stumping up the cash for him either. According to the IPO prospectus we have £40m to spend but I can't see us targeting any more players.

I also tweeted Miguel Delaney and asked if he knew anything about the Isco rumours. Said he hadn't heard anything.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
A full acquittal for Pepe and Bonucci is expected tomorrow. Whatever ban Antonio Conte is given is essentially irrelevant because he will definitely appeal.

K1LLER7

TBH I just can't see Arsenal selling to us. I also can't see us stumping up the cash for him either. According to the IPO prospectus we have £40m to spend but I can't see us targeting any more players.

I also tweeted Miguel Delaney and asked if he knew anything about the Isco rumours. Said he hadn't heard anything.

Would be great if we went for someone like Cabaye, a CM that we could do with. Though we've not really been linked with anyone so strongly other than RVP and Lucas.

United dodged a bullet with Lucas :/ I'm not sure he's worth all that money.

I think Lucas is fabulously talented and I think he has the potential to develop into a truly world class player.But I don't want United to spend all that money for a player that they'd have to take years to develop into a proper EPL player. Especially not a winger, where we're already stacked.

I'd much prefer we spend that money on a CM over Lucas or RVP. But at this point, I fully expect us to sit put for the rest of the transfer window.

Oh well, we'll always have KAGAWADAY.

elsk

Banned
United dodged a bullet with Lucas :/ I'm not sure he's worth all that money.

I don't trust in young talented brazilian players anymore. I would rather wait for them to properly develop and move to a smaller european side.
With 30M you could buy a lot of talented players without inflated price tags, just because they're brazilians or argentinos. There's plenty of talent in other regions, just look at Joel Campbell (Costa Rica/ Arsenal)... he's 20 years old and looks like the real deal.

Or you could invest that money in the youth teams.

Clegg

Are you guys still going for Van Persie or has that stopped too?

Miguel Delaney and Bob Cass seem to think so.

But Delaney says RVP was put on the backburner so we could concentrate on the Lucas deal.

And as you can see, that didn't do so well.

Wilbur

Banned
I reckon if we bid 20m for Cabaye we'd get him. Ashley loves his bloody money.

We won't though. Only midfielders I could see us getting are Sahin and Moutinho. Unlikely we'll get either though.

Arnie

Apparently this is a transfer update from Tony Barrett in The Times, don't know if it's legitimate because I don't have a Time subscription:

- LFC want Adam Johnson on loan
- This move would stop interest in Walcott of whom LFC enquired last week
- Joe Allen deal still on agenda
- Enquiry for Sahin on loan has been made
- Agger and Carroll can go if valuations met

Wilbur

Banned
Don't think Tiote is good enough and Cabaye doesn't excite me much either. Let's go Belgian.

Cabaye is a superb player, I'd rather him and Fellaini over Witsel because they're proven. But of course either of the three would make my dick stiffer than Kristen Stewart's face

elsk

Banned
Btw, how in the fuck did Anderson got his permission to play in the EPL? He barely played with his national team.

Llorente, eh? Well, what do you know. To the YouTube! Brb.

EDIT: Doesn't seem to be working at the moment. So ... what kind of striker is Llorente, exactly?

If I had to summarize my impressions, I'd say he's a classic striker. He's a huge beast of a player--very tall, great in the air, fantastic headers. Great on set pieces; an obvious target man in set pieces and a reference point in attack. He's not a great dribbler, by any means. He won't be pulling of faints outside the box, but the ball sticks to him and he maintains possession using his physicality and positioning. He's really good in taking a touch and turning to fire. He's got a great daisy cutter. He's the type of striker who has a sense of where he needs to be in the box at all times to pick up the junk that gets spilled and get himself in positioning.

I think if you want a Serie A reference, he reminds me a lot like a (much, much) more mobile version of Luca Toni when he was playing for Fiorentina (and Bayern). Or maybe Cristiano Lucarelli circa 2004, except infinitely more skilled.

Anyways he's definitely more Dzeko than RVP, I think.

Over the past three years he's been reliably prolific across all competitions with this past season being obviously the best: 23 in 50, 19 in 41, and amazingly 30 in 53. A goal per game ratio of 1 goal for every 2 games. Juventus is not Bilbao. We have players who can give him better service--Pirlo, Giovinco, Vidal and Marchisio, and lets not forget the crosses that Lichtsteiner can launch in from the right--albeit in a much stingier league like Serie A. Nonetheless, he easily has the potential to knock in fifteen or more goals. Which is always going to be a lot for a team like Juventus who spends a lot of time attacking from their midfield.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom