• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
- Meus gets mad

IM SOLD.

Seriously though guys I know RVP isn't exactly what we need but how can you not be excited about him playing for United?

Fixed.

Also, 3 strikers (once Berba's gone) is not enough. I also contend 3 wingers is not enough either. Playing Welbeck on the wing is - and I want to be absolutely clear on this because I've seen it mentioned a few times on here - a monumentally shit idea. He's no good there. I'd rather play Bebe and I'm not even joking.

We do absolutely need another quality CM and a LB more than the above positions, but I'm not going to get riled if we do sign RVP. He'd strengthen us.

Clegg

Tbh I can see PSG or City coming in with mega bid for RVP, just because they can.

And I'm not too sure about Sahin either. Read somewhere that AVB doesn't think he'd be able to handle the pace of the Premier League.

Arnie

As I say, the video is free on the official website if you haven't already watched it.

Looks in line with everything else we've heard: Agger doesn't want to go, Rodgers wouldn't ideally want to lose such a top player, but everyone has their price. Don't agree, personally, think this is far more important than the money we receive from him.

Read somewhere that AVB doesn't think he'd be able to handle the pace of the Premier League.
He also thought John Terry could handle a high line.

He's not exactly the best judge of 'pace'.

bjaelke

If anyone wants to watch the video of this, it's free on the Liverpool website. You can get a feel for the way in which he's saying things, but I'll admit, it really doesn't look good for Agger. I think the fee is £22 million plus Johnson on loan.

Tberk.jpg

:(

Proper shocked to hear Rodgers speak so openly about selling Agger.

RAWK must be amazing right now. How long before the conspiracy theories start that Rodgers is part of an evil plan to drain the club of all it's assets.

I really don't like Rodgers.
Really? I think he comes across really well.

Salvadora

It fucking pisses me off that we can't even get a bidding war for Van Persie, No-one seems seriously interested bar fucking United.

Arnie

It all comes down to medical history, in my opinion.

I've set my stall out and said I don't believe Agger should be sold, but then again, if he's only going to give us 20-25 games this season, then perhaps he should, if the price is right. As I argued in the article I wrote yesterday however, anxiety's going to sprout when it's Liverpool reinvesting that money, especially when we've failed to replace top players in the past (Alonso, Torres), and such a failure has led us down the regressive path we're currently walking.

On the contrary I really like him.

I've set my stall out and said I don't believe Agger should be sold, but then again, if he's only going to give us 20-25 games this season, then perhaps he should, if the price is right. As I argued in the article I wrote yesterday however, anxiety's going to sprout when it's Liverpool reinvesting that money, especially when we've failed to replace top players in the past (Alonso, Torres), and such a failure has led us down the regressive path we're currently walking.

Agger doesn't want to leave and say we sold him, what player are we going to replace him with? One with class that will actually want to come here? Like you said we have failed to replace our top players once we sell them.

Really? I think he comes across really well.

I actually find him really annoying. He talks to much and to be frank, I don't like the way he handle players in the press when it comes to selling players. I don't know if he realize but without Agger, Skrtel isn't the player he is.

pappe

Strikers who score. IMO I don't see Welbeck as a striker who will get 25+ goals in a season. If RVP is kept fit it would be a good signing, but maybe it won't even happen.

To score 25+ goals in a season, he would need to start 25+ games. Dont think that will happen with Rooney around unless Rooney is slotted in a no.10 role and Kagawa is played as a CM.

Arnie

I actually find him really annoying. He talks to much and to be frank, I don't like the way he handle players in the press. I don't know if he realize but without Agger, Skrtel isn't the player he is.

The thing is though, we have to look at the big picture. £22 million and Johnson for a season would be worth a single centre back, no matter how good, and especially one that probably won't contribute for the entire season.

Does it take good work in the transfer market to replace him? Yes. Will we find a defender as good as Agger straight away? Almost certainly not. Could we come out of the sale a much stronger team. Quite possibly, yes.

That's Rodgers' main concern, winning games. If the added attacking threat of Adam Johnson, plus whichever players that £22 million can buy are going to get us more points over the course of the season then he's justified.

He could be destroyed by this transfer though. Fans are going to be livid if we push Agger out for cash, especially if all the cash isn't reinvested, or it's reinvested poorly.

I actually find him really annoying. He talks to much and to be frank, I don't like the way he handle players in the press when it comes to selling players. I don't know if he realize but without Agger, Skrtel isn't the player he is.

I'm glad we've got an articulate manager. And one who doesn't take every question as an insult.

There was a question about what football can learn from the olympics, and Rodgers talked about watching Chris Hoy in the cycling, and how he needed that extra 1% to get round the final corner and win gold, and he said every sportsman needs to learn that it's that extra 1% that causes greatness.

Imagine hearing that in the dressing room.

bjaelke

The majority of Agger's injuries has come as a result of rushing him back from recovery. I reckon he'll be fitter this season given the preseason nursing and special attention he has received.

And I adore B-Rod as well.

Arnie

I will forever treasure Souness saying Deco was too short.

In a way, whilst it wasn't his height, there was something about Deco as a player that didn't translate to the Premier League. I remember being excited to see him come over, and then ultimately disappointed when I saw him play. Wasn't a Shevchenko style flop, but he wasn't half as effective as say, Meireles, who cost almost a third of his price.

The majority of Agger's injuries has come as a result of rushing him back from recovery. I reckon he'll be fitter this season given the preseason nursing and special attention he has received.

And I adore B-Rod as well.
I just really hope City aren't willing to pay the fee, like they weren't with Van Persie.

What baffles me is there's plenty of decent centre backs out there, why choose Agger, other than his premier league experience. I'm not saying he isn't a top class player, he is, but he's not worth £22 million plus a decent asset. In monetary terms at least, he's worth that to us.

Only way I see you getting Sahin or M'Vila is if Song goes.

Think the M'Vila talk has always been presumptuous, but we've been looking at deep-lying midfielders since before the season ended. One will come in regardless of what happens with Song.

Those Song rumours seem tame though.

Hixx

KuGsj.gif
Ian Abrahams is such a wanksplat. Reckons Milner will be a SAFC player by friday
KuGsj.gif
God I wish I could get a job making up shit for a radio station, must be so easy.

The thing is though, we have to look at the big picture. £22 million and Johnson for a season would be worth a single centre back, no matter how good, and especially one that probably won't contribute for the entire season.

Does it take good work in the transfer market to replace him? Yes. Will we find a defender as good as Agger straight away? Almost certainly not. Could we come out of the sale a much stronger team. Quite possibly, yes.

That's Rodgers' main concern, winning games. If the added attacking threat of Adam Johnson, plus whichever players that £22 million can buy are going to get us more points over the course of the season then he's justified.

He could be destroyed by this transfer though. Fans are going to be livid if we push Agger out for cash, especially if all the cash isn't reinvested, or it's reinvested poorly.

I'm glad we've got an articulate manager. And one who doesn't take every question as an insult.

There was a question about what football can learn from the olympics, and Rodgers talked about watching Chris Hoy in the cycling, and how he needed that extra 1% to get round the final corner and win gold, and he said every sportsman needs to learn that it's that extra 1% that causes greatness.

Imagine hearing that in the dressing room.

I don't know what it is but just something about him doesn't gel with me. I can't put my finger on it. I could be wrong about him and be singing a different tune come the end of the season. I just don't think it's a good thing to say in the press that any player has a price. That can unsettle players, lower their confidence and make them perform below their abilities.

And to be honest I don't really rate Johnson, I just see him as another Downing. A one trick pony.

GorillaJu

You are one of the most jaded and negative fans of any club I've ever met. Frankly, people like you I couldn't care less what you thought.

edit: dont mean to sound so insulting. But I just don't really listen to the rampant negativity. I prefer to cheer for the team and all that it entails.

Salazar

Hoping United look vaguely lively and Vida holds up.

Can't watch live. Will get up. Answer odd student emails. Grab papers and bread. Read result and splenetic/sedate GAF reaction. Watch match.

You are one of the most jaded and negative fans of any club I've ever met. Frankly, people like you I couldn't care less what you thought.

edit: dont mean to sound so insulting. But I just don't really listen to the rampant negativity. I prefer to cheer for the team and all that it entails.

Brenden? Is that you?

Umm ok

It's call being a realist, you might want to try it sometimes.

Morsel on the attack again :lol he's the new Aaron Ramsey

Phoenix to get banned?

Not over silly comments like that.

Arnie

Hoping United look vaguely lively and Vida holds up.

Can't watch live. Will get up. Answer odd student emails. Grab papers and bread. Read result and splenetic/sedate GAF reaction. Watch match.

I like the 'grab bread' remark, reminds me of holidays in France when you'd wake at the crack of dawn to raid the local boulangerie.

I'm about to head to town for an eye test and a hair cut, I could look completely different when I return.

It's call being a realist, you might want to try it sometimes.
In fairness, it's not realistic to dislike the manager of your football club for an unspecified, barely describable reason. He's done nothing wrong other than talk intelligently, and ironically, realistically too.

If you're a realist then I'm surprised you can't see the value in the Agger sale.

I myself am too scared to see my hero's go because I've got a built in fear that they won't be replaced. But that doesn't affect how I view Rodgers; he obviously believes if he gets the asking price then he can significantly improve the team. And at the end of the day if that's what he manages then we'll all be laughing.

dc89

"Roma director Sabatini has again said #mcfc target Daniele De Rossi is not for sale but that a big offer could convince them to talk. [GdS]"

@City_Watch

Depressing.

Wilbur

Banned
"Roma director Sabatini has again said #mcfc target Daniele De Rossi is not for sale but that a big offer could convince them to talk. [GdS]"

@City_Watch

Depressing.

You are one of the world's richest club, if not the richest. You have just won a Premier League title. You have players such as England's best goal keeper for years, a world class centre defender, one of the best box to box midfielders in the world, a young up and coming tempestuous Italian who's just put in the best performances of his career, a genuinely fantastic striker who just won you the title, and two great strikers that you might sell because they can't get games.

Please do not complain.

Salvadora

You are one of the world's richest club, if not the richest. You have just won a Premier League title. You have players such as England's best goal keeper for years, a world class centre defender, one of the best box to box midfielders in the world, a young up and coming tempestuous Italian who's just put in the best performances of his career, a genuinely fantastic striker who just won you the title, and two great strikers that you might sell because they can't get games.

Please do not complain.

It makes me rage considering Arsenal's usual transfer activities.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom