• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

He's miles better than Young but as an actual winger he's worse than Valencia.

Agreed.

Don't get too carried away. He's neat and tidy but he isn't in a whole other league to Henderson.

More excited about how it'll impact the team as a whole than any singular moment of brilliance from himself. Think Henderson will have a good season, he picked up in the last few months last year and went under the radar.

Well if you take out the newly implemented 75% french tax rate for millionaires, that's "only"62.5k/week.

Is this actually real or a joke? If it is real why on earth would someone want to play in the French League?

Agree on Young, but:

AV7------Kagawa-----Nani
-----------Rooney

You'd seriously replace one of them with Suarez?

You would seriously have Nani over Suarez as a winger? I would understand if you don't like the guy, but talent wise please say you are joking.

Is this actually real or a joke? If it is real why on earth would someone want to play in the French League?

That 75% rate is applicable only to income earned above a million euros. Most people over that threshold receive income in the form of capital gains as well. Not footballers, I suppose, but they'll still do fine.

Soi-Fong

City please. There is money at stake here! :(

Might as well just declare your love for City Kyoufu. Hope that when City faces Newcastle, they trash the hell outta them. Don't really see the reason of your hate for United at all...

Sounds like arsenal are reluctant to deal with man united as expected.

If RVP wants to move to United, he'll pretty much have to force it. Still, an attack consisting of Rooney, Kagawa, RVP, and Nani or Valencia would be insane.

Wilbur

Banned
Full article on ManUtd.com

Sir Alex Ferguson says he is persevering in his bid to sign Robin van Persie after losing out on Lucas Moura.

With PSG declaring they have won the race to sign Brazilian Lucas for a club record fee, speculation has been rife that the Reds are stepping up attempts to land the Arsenal captain. Although the Gunners would clearly prefer to sell to a club outside of the Barclays Premier League, the boss is hopeful a deal can be struck.

"I can't give you any more information," he said when asked about van Persie. "We have made a bid and they've been trying to negotiate with other clubs. We just have to persevere. Hopefully it will come our way. We're trying our best but there's no progress at this moment in time.

"I don't have a gut feeling on it at the moment, I must admit. We're not getting any breakthrough with Arsenal. It's difficult to say why they're operating this way. I don't know what their thoughts are because they're not giving anything away."

Regarding Lucas' sale from Sao Paulo, it is further evidence that the cash-laden Parisiens mean business in the transfer market.

"I find it quite amazing that a club can pay €45million for a 19-year-old boy," Sir Alex continued. "To make a mark on everyone - to tell everyone that PSG are here - they've signed Thiago Silva from Milan and Zlatan Ibrahimovic.

"They must have spent about £150m in the last month. As you know, the only deterrent to that is UEFA. In the conditions of European football, you don't qualify for Europe by winning the league or coming second - you only get in by invitation. That's where, hopefully, UEFA can have some power. When somebody's paying £45m for a 19-year-old boy you have to say the game's gone mad."

Arnie

Writer for the Guardian (David Hytner) says after listening to Ferguson he too has doubts of a swift resolve to the RVP saga. That's almost verbatim.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Is this old?

Daniel Agger turned up at Melwood for training today with the initials ‘YNWA’ reportedly tattooed onto his hand

hKvKH.jpg

TuttoYurt.

More reliable than TuttoBob!

Juve make a 15m bid and you've got him.

We did :/

jtb

Banned
Letting RVP go to City makes the most sense; RVP's hardly an upgrade over their other options and we'd get the most money. RVP doesn't want to go though because he's a prick who knows that if he goes to City, everyone will know that his only motivation is money (especially when options like United and Juve are on the table). He (or his agent) are delusional enough to think that if he doesn't go to City, he won't get the same abuse Nasri and Adebayor got after their moves. In other words, he's willingly fucking the club over to protect his own reputation with the fans, and on the other hand Marwood doesn't want to spend (and Ade is taking too fucking long to move). Wonderful.

RVP to United is the clear worst option since they probably won't pay as much as City, and SAF is a good manager. Having said that, United doesn't slot into the XI anywhere with Kagawa, so I'd see that having the biggest impact on United's CL campaign, more than anything... just adding a bit of depth to the squad.

RVP to Juve is middle of the road; get less money, but don't strengthen a direct "title rival" (again, this assumes that we are strengthening whoever we sell to, and that they are rivals, both of which I don't think are really happening.)

I say get the most money possible. Juve is nice, United/City are better. Forcing him to see out his last year might be the best option if we get less than 15m though—I'm sure he'd be willing to play his heart out for his last season, given it meant a huge payday at the end of the tunnel. But with Cazorla, I'm not even sure if we need him. Whether we sell RVP to another PL club will have no bearing on who wins the title or whether or not we can challenge for trophies; his injury proneness, and United and City already have considerable strength in the striker positions mitigate those factors. That said, I appreciate Wenger finally laying down the law saying enough is enough. We have gotten fucked over too many times in past transfer windows, both from a buying and selling perspective.

Arnie

Is this old?

Daniel Agger turned up at Melwood for training today with the initials ‘YNWA’ reportedly tattooed onto his hand

hKvKH.jpg

Right, that's it, Agger's boss. No sale, no matter the fee.

Someone on Twitter said his mate spoke to him outside Melwood, asked if he was leaving and he replied, "Never". Take that with a pinch of salt, but it's not too far away from Agger's general demeanour throughout.

Soi-Fong

Letting RVP go to City makes the most sense; RVP's hardly an upgrade over their other options and we'd get the most money. RVP doesn't want to go though because he's a prick who knows that if he goes to City, everyone will know that his only motivation is money (especially when options like United and Juve are on the table). He (or his agent) are delusional enough to think that if he doesn't go to City, he won't get the same abuse Nasri and Adebayor got after their moves. In other words, he's willingly fucking the club over to protect his own reputation with the fans, and on the other hand Marwood doesn't want to spend (and Ade is taking too fucking long to move). Wonderful.

RVP to United is the clear worst option since they probably won't pay as much as City, and SAF is a good manager. Having said that, United doesn't slot into the XI anywhere with Kagawa, so I'd see that having the biggest impact on United's CL campaign, more than anything... just adding a bit of depth to the squad.

RVP to Juve is middle of the road; get less money, but don't strengthen a direct "title rival" (again, this assumes that we are strengthening whoever we sell to, and that they are rivals, both of which I don't think are really happening.)

I say get the most money possible. Juve is nice, United/City are better. Forcing him to see out his last year might be the best option if we get less than 15m though—I'm sure he'd be willing to play his heart out for his last season, given it meant a huge payday at the end of the tunnel. But with Cazorla, I'm not even sure if we need him. Whether we sell RVP to another PL club will have no bearing on who wins the title or whether or not we can challenge for trophies; his injury proneness, and United and City already have considerable strength in the striker positions mitigate those factors. That said, I appreciate Wenger finally laying down the law saying enough is enough. We have gotten fucked over too many times in past transfer windows, both from a buying and selling perspective.

So... You'd rather get fucked over one more time by City who have already taken a shitload of players from Arsenal.. Or am I reading you wrong?

Clegg

From the Telegraph
With Manchester City appearing to accept defeat in the race for the Arsenal striker, and Juventus baulking at the player’s wage demands, United are moving quickly to conclude a deal.

Their willingness to match the £220,000 a week wages earned by Rooney has tipped the balance in their favour. The financial rewards will be staggering for the 29-year-old Dutchman at Old Trafford, and somewhat unprecedented given the stage of Van Persie’s career.

Sir Alex Ferguson’s determination to reclaim the title from City, as he enters the twilight years of his managerial reign, could not be clearer. For the United manager to parade Van Persie, while Mancini frets about missing out on a player he had made clear he wished to add to his squad, will be a bold reassertion of Old Trafford spending power.

City’s Premier League win in May was a euphoric climax to years of Abu Dhabi-financed rebuilding, albeit at a lavish price, but the excessive expenditure has been curtailed so far this summer as the newly-crowned champions look to run their business more sensibly.

Riled by the loss of their title and no doubt stung by criticism from their own supporters that their unpopular owners aren’t spending enough, United appear to be going the other way with their Van Persie chase. There is a sense of neighbourhood watch about the Van Persie pursuit, with the Manchester clubs recognising the threat the striker’s presence will have on each club’s aspirations.

To invest so heavily in a player who, as a striker, may have only three years of his prime remaining not only demonstrates United’s ambition, but is also indicative of how desperate they are and how willing to abandon usual spending policy to reclaim their No 1 status.

Signing Van Persie for such astronomical figures makes sense from a footballing perspective, but not necessarily from a business one.

United’s most recent transactions have tended to take both into equally careful consideration, with Ferguson targeting younger players with years ahead of them and a potential sell-on value.

On this occasion he appears to be concerned solely on the immediate, short-term benefits – possibly reflecting how long he himself has remaining at the helm at Old Trafford.

This is one of the reasons why I can't see us signing RVP. Too much on wages. And of course Arsenal won't sell to us.

Timurid

Thank god rvp isn't going to juve. Juve is never going to have class striker!!!! I can't wait to see the crying when El Granata tear them a new hole!!!! Forza Toro!!!!!

Soi-Fong

45m euros for Lucas Moura. Could that 250k/week figure be true as well? It'll be interesting to see how PSG do in the CL.

I hope it's true. Just says how messed up in the head PSG is more than City. City is trying to balance their books and that's respectable. PSG is just throwing money around now and I'm really hoping FFP gets on their a**.

dc89

Full article on ManUtd.com

Biggest hypocrite in football.

Was he complaining when spunking £25.6m on a 18 year old Wayne Rooney or £29.1m on a 23 year old Rio Ferdinand?

Times have changed and United can't compete anymore and he hates it, he can't stand it.

Arnie

On Agger:

Rodgers said:
Liverpool have made it clear to Brian Marwood, City’s chief football administration officer, that they are seeking a fee of about £27 million for Agger. That valuation may appear unrealistic given the 27-year-old’s patchy fitness record, but Liverpool regard Agger as one of Europe’s best defenders and want a fee that reflects that status.

Rodgers claimed that Paris Saint- Germain’s recent signing of Thiago Silva has established the market rate for central defenders. “Silva has left AC Milan for PSG for £40 million,” he said. “He [Agger] is one of the leading players in European football, so it is going to be a big valuation. Every player has a price and top centre halves are at a premium.”

Asked if Liverpool had received offers from City, Rodgers said: “Yes, but nowhere near the valuation of what the player is worth. You can only consider something like that if it is going to benefit you.

“Of course, you might lose a top player but if it benefits you going forward, and you can make two or three steps because of it, you may have to consider it. But we don’t want to sell him, so unless someone comes in with a ridiculous offer that makes you look at it and think you can benefit in one or two other areas, there is no way I want to lose one of my best players.
“Daniel is a top player and any manager will tell you that they don’t want to lose their best players. But I suppose at every club, every player has a price.”

“Daniel and I have had a number of conversations so he knows where I am at, he knows where the club are at and he doesn’t want to leave which is great,” Rodgers said. “In my first conversation with Daniel at the Euros he made that quite clear. He loves the club, loves the supporters, so that was music to my ears. But we’ll see.”

jtb

Banned
So... You'd rather get fucked over one more time by City who have already taken a shitload of players from Arsenal.. Or am I reading you wrong?

I'm saying it's not fucking us over at all, if they pay the fee. Look at the other players they've bought from us; Adebayor is on his way out, Kolo is playing a bit part role at best (failing the drugs test had a big part to do with that though, understandably) and Nasri had a shit season, outside of destroying Tottenham in one game at WHL. If they pay 20m for a 29 year old, injury-prone striker when they already have Dzeko, Tevez, Aguero, and Balotelli, then it clearly isn't going to strengthen them and it isn't going to hurt to have an extra 20m to spend, on say.... a full back. Or a center half. City won't win the title because they have or don't have RVP, so why not?

Soi-Fong

Biggest hypocrite in football.

Was he complaining when spunking £25.6m on a 18 year old Wayne Rooney or £29.1m on a 23 year old Rio Ferdinand?

Times have changed and United can't compete anymore and he hates it, he can't stand it.

One big difference dc. Lucas has never played in Europe while Rooney and Ferdinand did. Rooney especially since he played in the PL.

Playing in Brazil is much different than playing in England or Spain or hell anywhere in Europe.

You probably don't see a problem with it because your club has done the same thing and splashed the oil money. Though, I'll admit, at least City has been smart with their transfers. PSG is just... Yeah...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom