• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soi-Fong

I might hate United, but their spending and City's spending are completely different. United has been one of the most successful clubs the last 20 years. Where would City be now without their current owners? (Note: I don't begrudge City for their money or their league title.)

Just a quick question. When the heck did City break through to the PL? I thought only a few years ago, they were spending their time in the championship.

Wilbur

Banned
Bit unfair having Barry in that list. He was instrumental last season and I can't honestly remember him having a major cock up.

I quoted Lescott as well, who I think is an excellent defender. The fact remains he cost 24m. Gareth Barry cost 18m.

K1LLER7

The Mirror saying that Arsenal will charge United a £5m premium for RVP.

£20m for other clubs and £25m for United.
After we sold them Silvestre too :(

£20m take it or leave. Our main problem will be replacing Scholes, no way we'll get a player of his quality without paying big. He was brilliant today,

ATF487

I still think 15m is too much for Allen but I guess I'd rather have him at that price than not at all

Brenny should make a cheeky 10m bid for Loic Remy at the end of the transfer window, seems like other clubs aren't gonna sign him now

Mastadon

Banned
I'd be less concerned with 27m and Agger leaving and more concerned with where the funds are going. I mean, Liverpool did get 50m for Torres. Comolli is gone, but with prices like 15m being thrown around for Joe Allen, then you can never be sure... That Montpellier defender that Milan is going after looks like he could be quite good, and won't be very expensive either. Could be a decent replacement (wouldn't mind him joining Giroud at Arsenal either!) that would leave quite a bit of money to be spent elsewhere.

We've been linked quite heavily with Vargas or Amorebieta as potential Agger replacements, which is promising. Amorebieta especially looks like a great player.

£15m for Allen doesn't seem overly excessive to me.

I really want Gaston Ramirez :(

Arnie

I'd be less concerned with 27m and Agger leaving and more concerned with where the funds are going. I mean, Liverpool did get 50m for Torres. Comolli is gone, but with prices like 15m being thrown around for Joe Allen, then you can never be sure... That Montpellier defender that Milan is going after looks like he could be quite good, and won't be very expensive either. Could be a decent replacement (wouldn't mind him joining Giroud at Arsenal either!) that would leave quite a bit of money to be spent elsewhere.
Very true, made that point in my article. Even if Brendan Rodgers is dynamite in the transfer market, question marks and anxiety will persist for the time being because the club as a whole have been so woeful there for a few years now.

And for what it's worth, I don't think £15 million for Joe Allen is a bad buy. I think it's an excellent one in fact, we'll see. Pitching my tent out, so everyone can quote me on this at the end of the season, but I think we'll look back on the purchase of Allen as priceless in relation to how Liverpool do next season.
I quoted Lescott as well, who I think is an excellent defender. The fact remains he cost 24m. Gareth Barry cost 18m.

And if they bite, Agger will cost £27 million (plus probably Johnson for the season).

For what it's worth though, very reputable ITK says Agger is starting tomorrow, so he's clearly still firmly in our plans.

We've been linked quite heavily with Vargas or Amorebieta as potential Agger replacements, which is promising. Amorebieta especially looks like a great player.

£15m for Allen doesn't seem overly excessive to me.

I really want Gaston Ramirez :(
Vargas is a winger, is he not?

Amorebieta excites me a lot though; same age as Agger, not as injury prone, and a ball playing defender. Obviously he won't be as good, like, but he's a good purchase nonetheless.

That's the other problem with this, whichever defender we buy won't be as good as Agger.

Soi-Fong

They probably think that £25m is a price that United won't pay.

And even if they sell to us they'll still be getting £5m more than they would from other clubs.

Hmm... It's a good tactic. Fergie isn't one to be "pushed" per say, but who knows. Depending on his hunger of wanting to get back the PL trophy, Fergie might just pony up for it.

elsk

Banned
Rooney and Ferdinand were wastes of money?

Not because of their quality but because of inflated prices. Just like City, Chelsea have done in the last few years and now PSG. And there were failed transfers like Veron, remember?

Here's why; because you're moaning against the perception of United being absolutely aggrieved with City being big spenders when we were ourselves. Our money was generated through success on the pitch and subsequent marketing deals from that. We spent what we earned. City, Chelsea and PSG haven't.

I don't understand one thing. I haven't followed Man Utd history, but why was the club sold to the Glazers if everything was going great financially?

Wilbur

Banned
Not because of their quality but because of inflated prices. Just like City, Chelsea have done in the last few years and now PSG. And there were failed transfers like Veron, remember?

Veron was a failure but the two you quoted have been worth every penny considering the success they've brought to us.

I don't understand one thing. I haven't followed Man Utd history, but why was the club sold to the Glazers if everything was going great financially?

Was just a matter of them offering a huge amount to buy the club, if I remember correctly (despite it being all borrowed)

Clegg

The previous majority shareholders had a very bad relationship with Ferguson. Then the Glazers came along and offered £790m for the club.

The offer was too good to refuse.

Mastadon

Banned
Vargas is a winger, is he not?

Yeah he is, don't know what the fuck I'm on about. I was only watching YouTube clips of him the other day as well :lol

Have you seen this? http://www.nesn.com/2012/08/mike-ma...first-team-coaching-staff-at-liverpool-.html? Mike Marsh has been promoted to first team coach. Seems like a very positive move, especially considering the rationale around it.

Michael will sign a deal this week," Rodgers told Liverpoolfc.com. "For me, it is very important to have people with the sort of root of Liverpool in their heart, the soul of the club. "I've come in and I've got an understanding of what it is like. I feel I'm from the same bottle of the people of Liverpool and the city, with similar backgrounds. There are no worries about that, and I've also got players from Liverpool in the first-team group. "When I went to Swansea, I went in on my own and promoted a couple of people from there, such as Colin Pascoe to first-team coach. He was a former player there and from the Swansea area. There was also Alan Curtis, who was a player for the club for many years and a Welsh legend. I feel it is important to have people who have the soul of the club and who understand. "When I looked at the staff when I came in, Marshy was someone who had come in with the U-18s. He was a terrific young player -- he walked out of a pub team into Liverpool, which is an absolutely incredible story. His roots are here at the club, his passion is for the club and he's played for the club. He was here in a period when we were a proper team, a proper club. "This is a guy who I feel will come in as a first-team coach and Marshy will be able to help myself and Colin to take the group forward. It is great for him and good for his career, and he'll obviously get to learn how I work. "He will also help build a bridge between the first team and the academy. It is important for me this bridge is smooth and the young players can come across and progress into the first team."

dc89

Was it mentioned the other day that Scott Sinclair's GF was with Reece Wabara but left him for Scott.

SNN26TV02J-280_896681a.jpg

Reece Wabara

Things could get awkward at City if we sign Sinclair.

elsk

Banned
The previous majority shareholders had a very bad relationship with Ferguson. Then the Glazers came along and offered £790m for the club.

The offer was too good to refuse.

Well, I had no idea! So indirectly (directly?), the huge debt and the Glazers are Fergie's fault?

Arnie

Yeah he is, don't know what the fuck I'm on about. I was only watching YouTube clips of him the other day as well :lol

Have you seen this? http://www.nesn.com/2012/08/mike-ma...first-team-coaching-staff-at-liverpool-.html? Mike Marsh has been promoted to first team coach. Seems like a very positive move, especially considering the rationale around it.

I have, and I approve. The coaching setup was lacking a bit of local flavour, especially when you hear Colin Pascoe speak, he's as Welsh as it gets. Intrigued to see who takes over the U18s now though, with Borrell moved up to the reserves.

Feorax

And if they bite, Agger will cost £27 million (plus probably Johnson for the season).

For what it's worth though, very reputable ITK says Agger is starting tomorrow, so he's clearly still firmly in our plans.

Quite frankly, as valuable as Agger is to us, City must be out of their minds if they bid bid £27 million for a 27 year old, injury prone CB who obviously doesn't want a move. That's bordering on Comolli levels of insanity.

Soi-Fong

Well, I had no idea! So indirectly (directly?), the huge debt and the Glazers are Fergie's fault?

lol This is prolly the reason why Fergie defends the glazers. The reason being that, the Glazers don't touch anything related to the club and its activities on the pitch. Ferguson has total control of the footballing side.

I don't give a fuck about her face if she has a body like that.

Yeah... No... I don't want to be dense, but yeah that face... I won't say anything else..

Mastadon

Banned
Talkshite has an article on "Four fantastic replacements for Agger". The list includes:

• Kjaer
  • Williams
  • Bruno fucking Alves

GTFO.

dc89

Mastadon

Banned
I like Bruno Alves and Williams but lol.

KJAER LOL FUCKING LOL. Was shite all last season

Alves is like 40 isn't he? Not sure he'd be a fantastic replacement by any stretch. I'd have Williams to be fair, but Laudrup would probably set fire to Anfield if we went after him.

Wilbur

Banned
Alves is like 40 isn't he? Not sure he'd be a fantastic replacement by any stretch. I'd have Williams to be fair, but Laudrup would probably set fire to Anfield if we went after him.

He wouldn't be a fantastic replacement at all, but he's solid. For under 10m he'd be a good buy for a few years.

Honestly think Sakho is worth a £15m bid at least.

United and Fergie have and would spend big money if they could...but we never spent money like PSG or City have done.

I can't really be bothered to argue it because it's pointless...but those clubs have been quite frankly brainless with their money at times, and fair enough they've got it so why not. But we were never like that.

He's 30 but yeah, not sure what the fuck Liverpool would want him for either, unless they just want to secure their mid table position.

That is some weird looking eyebrows. Yes, that is honestly what I saw first in the photo.

Wilbur

Banned
United and Fergie have and would spend big money if they could...but we never spent money like PSG or City have done.

I can't really be bothered to argue it because it's pointless...but those clubs have been quite frankly brainless with their money at times, and fair enough they've got it so why not. But we were never like that.

dc3.14 is just crying because we're taking his transfer targets

Clegg

I took Fergies comments on RVP as positive. It was definite confirmation that we're after RVP and that we've at least held talks.

But looking at the BBC site you'll see headlines like United hit stumbling block on RVP transfer.

Zabojnik

PSG and City should both go for the same player, would be brilliant to see one of them lose out on a top player.

Aren't the owners of the two clubs related or something? All in the family.

Thank god rvp isn't going to juve. Juve is never going to have class striker!!!! I can't wait to see the crying when El Granata tear them a new hole!!!! Forza Toro!!!!!

Never say never! And we just brought back home Giovinco, he's as classy as they come. :p As for the other thing ... Eh, to us, you're just another Napoli or Fiorentina. You're convinced we're your biggest rival, while we barely consider you a proper football club. Understandibly too, in your case, since Torino FC was only founded 7 years ago. Smashing you, while somewhat sweet, will be just the usual routine for us.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom