• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsk

Banned
One big difference dc. Lucas has never played in Europe while Rooney and Ferdinand did. Rooney especially since he played in the PL.

I get your point, but dc is partially right. Manchester Utd used to waste money like Man City and PSG are doing now.

Arnie

In all honesty, and this is pretty unarguable, Ferguson's being massively hypocritical there as he himself was willing to splash £30 million on the kid. Even if that figure is Euros, it's still astronomical for a 19 year old Brazilian kid, and still falls directly under the criticism he himself has levelled at other clubs.

He's making himself look stupid.

Sounds like Rodgers want him gone more than Agger wants to leave.
That's almost a given though, but spelling it out like that makes it sound worse than it is.

Agger doesn't want to leave, end of, he loves the club. Rodgers doesn't want to lose him, and appreciates his level of support to the club. However, realistically, an offer close to £30 million (which is now the raised benchmark) is too hard to turn down. That's a fact. I personally think (and hope) we've priced City out of it.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Rooney and Ferdinand were wastes of money?

C_71_article_1064225_image_list_image_list_item_0_image-225x225.jpg

dc89

I get your point, but dc is partially right. Manchester Utd used to waste money like Man City and PSG are doing now.

Yup. They used to be the big spenders, blow anyone else out of the water.

You can say that and it's true, but United also never used money coming from oil.

Edit: What Wilbury said. haha

What is the actual issue with money coming from oil? Never understood why it's said in a detrimental way.

Wilbur

Banned
In all honesty, and this is pretty unarguable, Ferguson's being massively hypocritical there as he himself was willing to splash £30 million on the kid. Even if that figure is Euros, it's still astronomical for a 19 year old Brazilian kid, and still falls directly under the criticism he himself has levelled at other clubs.

I find the fee we bid for Moura absurd. It's not Ferguson I'm defending.

I'm arguing against dc implying Fergie has lost it and United can't compete when we look likely to take their top summer target off them.

If he had said Rooney, Ferdinand and Berbatov I would have said 'Rooney and Ferdinand were wastes of money?'

Soi-Fong

I think he's just pointing out the risk with insane transfers like this. It's a 19 year old Brazilian that's never played in Europe!!!

And if that 250k per week is true, then Fergie has every right to say it.

If RVP goes to United, can we have Berbatov on a free loan?

I love the Berbasex, but please just buy him off us! He'd look badass in that black and white kit!

jtb

Banned
You can say that and it's true, but United also never used money coming from oil.

but that's not the argument. the argument is they're spending huge money on kids; Lucas came with the Brazil tax, Rooney came with the English tax. Ferguson's being a hypocrite, but... it's pretty hard to come across a manager who isn't a one. Wenger moans about the transfer market all the time too, despite the fact that the is just as culpable for his own failures as rising prices.

edit: and there's zero chance Lucas is on 250k/week. Ronaldo and Messi aren't even on 250k/week, let alone some Brazilian wonder kid. Prob 250k/month so ~50k/week, I'd think.

Wilbur

Banned

What is the actual issue with money coming from oil? Never understood why it's said in a detrimental way.

Here's why; because you're moaning against the perception of United being absolutely aggrieved with City being big spenders when we were ourselves. Our money was generated through success on the pitch and subsequent marketing deals from that. We spent what we earned. City, Chelsea and PSG haven't.

Clegg

Darren Can ‏@Darren_Can
Ferguson is playing a game. Of course he knows what Arsenal's thoughts are. They don't want to sell to Utd.Has to offer big enough £ to them
Darren Can ‏@Darren_Can
Ferguson damn well knows £25m seals the deal. But he doesn't want to spend that. Putting pressure on Arsenal and RVP. That's what he hopes.

jtb

Banned
Hopefully West Ham.

Far better piece of business than Carroll on loan with forced buy clause. everyone wins!

I wouldn't mind Berbatov as a makeweight in the RVP transfer, tbh. He'd be a great striker to have on the bench who wouldn't moan about it either. Certainly a step up from Chamakh or Park (or Bendtner. I do hope we keep Bendtner though. He deserves a chance a hell of a lot more than Chamakh.)

Brinbe

Wow, those Lucas figures are insane, if true. 13 mil per year for a 19-year-old? Damn.

And I hope we just pass on RVP. I don't think he's really needed at all, and we have bigger and more obvious deficiencies to address.

Wilbur

Banned
35 goals in 22 games for Messi on my FM just made me look at his stats again last season.

I can't comprehend them, they're unbelievable. 60 games, 73 goals, 29 assists. Just phenomenal.

Arnie

I think he's just pointing out the risk with insane transfers like this. It's a 19 year old Brazilian that's never played in Europe!!!

And if that 250k per week is true, then Fergie has every right to say it.

Not at all. He's criticising PSG for bidding an astronomical figure for an unproven 19 year old Brazilian, on the back of doing the same himself. Wages aren't the issue, it's the bid that forced Sao Paulo to accept, and PSG's astronomical figure wasn't that much larger than United's.

Ferguson is being a complete hypocrite in this situation, and someone should have a word with him.

Soi-Fong

Far better piece of business than Carroll on loan with forced buy clause. everyone wins!

I wouldn't mind Berbatov as a makeweight in the RVP transfer, tbh. He'd be a great striker to have on the bench who wouldn't moan about it either. Certainly a step up from Chamakh or Park (or Bendtner. I do hope we keep Bendtner though. He deserves a chance a hell of a lot more than Chamakh.)

I'd be cool with this, but I'd still rather he go to Juventus or something like that. haha :) Berbatov is still an amazing striker.

dc89

Also Fergie says the 'games gone mad'. No Sir, it went mad when you paid £7.4m for Bebe with 40% of that going to the agent.

Soi-Fong

I doubt that and no, I don't hate United. Vivalaraza made me bet money on RVP going to City. :(

Honestly these young strikers in the Olympics are looking like better deals than Carroll atm. lol

RVP - "In response to making Kyoufu's dreams come true, I have decided to force a move to Newcastle United Football Club. I look forward to scoring goals for this prestigious club."

Arnie

A guy on Bluemoon has stuck his neck out and said Agger to City will be announced by Friday. We'll soon see.

Seems City want Agger more than De Rossi and Van Persie then. £27 million is a nice amount of money, but I really don't want to see Agger leave.

562948_392573824131091_131355167_n.jpg

From Hibbert's testimonial, he scored a free kick. My cousin was in that, somewhere.

Salazar

Don't act like clubs buying squads in one go, and then having owners come in over the manager's head and spill money after a superfluous target is even remotely comparable to how United have ever spent money.

Clegg

The Mirror saying that Arsenal will charge United a £5m premium for RVP.

£20m for other clubs and £25m for United.

Mastadon

Banned
That's almost a given though, but spelling it out like that makes it sound worse than it is.

Agger doesn't want to leave, end of, he loves the club. Rodgers doesn't want to lose him, and appreciates his level of support to the club. However, realistically, an offer close to £30 million (which is now the raised benchmark) is too hard to turn down. That's a fact. I personally think (and hope) we've priced City out of it.

I think it's just a case of Rodgers not wanting to say that he'll definitely stay when the decision is probably out of his hands.

dc89

Bit unfair having Barry in that list. He was instrumental last season and I can't honestly remember him having a major cock up.

Arnie

That's being generous.

I think it's just a case of Rodger's not wanting to say that he'll definitely stay when the decision is probably out of his hands.

The good thing is that he gave that figure to the written press after the conference, along with those quotes, and he knew they'd be published. I hope he's trying to warn City away, I really do. Agger should just refuse to leave.

Soi-Fong

lol I love Arsenal for this! Nice to see Wenger fighting on. You can see he truly cares about Arsenal by doing this. Screw up your rivals even further. I love it.

Labadal

I might hate United, but their spending and City's spending are completely different. United has been one of the most successful clubs the last 20 years. Where would City be now without their current owners? (Note: I don't begrudge City for their money or their league title.)

jtb

Banned
I'd be less concerned with 27m and Agger leaving and more concerned with where the funds are going. I mean, Liverpool did get 50m for Torres. Comolli is gone, but with prices like 15m being thrown around for Joe Allen, then you can never be sure... That Montpellier defender that Milan is going after looks like he could be quite good, and won't be very expensive either. Could be a decent replacement (wouldn't mind him joining Giroud at Arsenal either!) that would leave quite a bit of money to be spent elsewhere.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom