• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wilbur

Banned
All seven are legal in Denmark. Or that's what Woodenlung keeps telling me..
No that's not what I meant

image.php

elseanio

Welp. the options are running out for RVP!

Not sure why Liverpool didn't offer him (or someone like Falcao, Jovetic... any non-CL top striker) silly money to join. If it was a choice between Agger or a proven striker, I'd take the striker any day.

Pretty sure we had a £30m bid turned down by Athletic in the January we sold Torres

Arnie

Not sure why Liverpool didn't offer him (or someone like Falcao, Jovetic... any non-CL top striker) silly money to join. If it was a choice between Agger or a proven striker, I'd take the striker any day.

Well I know you would, you're an Arsenal fan.

rodvik

I wonder he he might end up in a rich foreign league for a payday.

RVP is overpriced for what he is.

Would not bang.

Arnie

In fairness it's easy to get that A grade in North London, what with BAE and all.
At least RVP is trying to win something, Suarez has basically said 'fuck titles', way to throw away medals.
Perhaps he feels his family's and his own personal happiness is more important than a Serie A winners medal?

Doesn't help that their manager's in court, either.

jtb

Banned
Well I know you would, you're an Arsenal fan.

hehe guilty as charged. Still...

great defense, abysmal strike force = 8th, Carling Cup penalty win (against a championship side).

horrible defense, world class striker = 3rd, though admittedly we have suffered repeated Carling Cup humiliations over the years.

Downing, as awful as he was last season, also didn't have anyone to finish the chances he created. Sell Carroll on the cheap (~10m), Agger for 27m, buy, say... Jovetic (any 20 goal striker, really) for 27m and a good, not great, defender from a "lower" league (lots of bargains to be found in France, Portugal) with the other 10m... I'd say that's a successful transfer window!

Hoplatee

The Eredivisie rights have just been bought by Fox/Murdoch (starting 2013/2014). Fox pays 1 billion over the course of 12 years.

What does this mean for monthly subscriptions for us dutchies? We are paying 15 euros a month for the complete football package atm. What should we expect when Fox gets in next season? Double?

I wouldn't expect the costs to go up much but I am not sure if I should be happy or not with this. 1 Billion is so much money which is good, more attention for the Eredivisie is even better (Sure, not even close to being the best league but it sure as hell is one of the most fun leagues around with so many talented players all the time that end up being bought :p) but I fear that things will change quite a lot. I don't care about that stuff being on public channels because the NOS makes such a mess with their recap show. 90 Minutes on Eredivisie Live is so superior. Heck, even Talpa did it 10 times better. But this might be such a major move towards more sport being paytv and I don't like that all that much. :/

But the money. Nom. We need it so much. Here is hoping it helps us with catching up again with other places.... Not going to happen but it is nice to have dreams. We will forever be a great EL contender country I guess. :p

Oh well, teams will finally get their money instead of them being on a paychannel actually costing them money. Eredivisie Live has been such a disaster in some ways. I am glad he also pays the 60 million debt they had. Poor Sport1. :p

e: great example from VI. Ajax as champion got 3 million, new deal around 10. That's huge for us.

Arnie

great defense, abysmal strike force = 8th, Carling Cup penalty win (against a championship side).

horrible defense, world class striker = 3rd, though admittedly we have suffered repeated Carling Cup humiliations over the years.

Point taken. Can't really argue with that, although the Carling Cup was amazing, despite all the naysayers on here. Couldn't get down to Wembley as I didn't get lucky in the ballot, but that night match against City at Anfield was fucking class, best atmosphere Anfield's seen since the Champions League days. Finished my last January exam on that day too, I was buzzing in the kop.

At least RVP is trying to win something, Suarez has basically said 'fuck titles', way to throw away medals.

Showing loyalty is a great attribute to have,perhaps he feels his legacy is to get Liverpool back on track and be known as a man who put the team above himself.

Both choices are fine by me but loyalty is a quickly fading personal attribute.

Arnie

Showing loyalty is a great attribute to have,perhaps he feels his legacy is to get Liverpool back on track and be known as a man who put the team above himself.

The sending off he got from Ajax was truly heartwarming, you don't get that much in football nowadays. In fairness, whilst I've no doubt he's very happy at the club and in the city, it's also worth noting that his wages were tripled to around £100k too.

jtb

Banned

thing is, you can show loyalty and move on to win trophies. Nasri signed a contract extension before leaving Marseille so that they'd get more money when selling to us. same with Aguero and Torres when they left Atletico. Even if Suarez does leave this window, that newly signed contract will drive his price up considerably and will help Liverpool bring in replacements should he leave. everything RVP is doing (similar to Nasri) is trying to push down the price as much as possible, because he knows that he's injury prone and old and the window for a move to a big payday is quickly closing.

Zabojnik

Doesn't help that their manager's in court, either.

I don't think this travesty of a trial has much to do with RVP choosing United over Juve, I'm pretty sure it's more of a money / winning titles issue. But yeah, it doesn't help, even though Conte's ban won't really impact the players all that much, if at all.

Maybe Llorente is our smokescreen?

For ... Pazzini? I don't think we need one. :p

Clegg

I think Arsenal would be more prepared to let RVP rot in the reserves, than to sell him to United.

SAF has basically said that Arse aren't listening to Uniteds proposals. I can see a stalemate approaching. Juventus will drop interest in RVP, City won't be able to offload enough players to buy RVP, and Arsenal just won't sell to United.

Its actually quite intriguing.

Soi-Fong

I think Arsenal would be more prepared to let RVP rot in the reserves, than to sell him to United.

SAF has basically said that Arse aren't listening to Uniteds proposals. I can see a stalemate approaching. Juventus will drop interest in RVP, City won't be able to offload enough players to buy RVP, and Arsenal just won't sell to United.

All in RVP's court in forcing a move to United now pretty much.

Salazar

Biggest tantrum ever. And something of a moral blot on Wenger, who has been alright since the days when Arsenal were a disgustingly foul-happy side.

rodvik

Nah, they would sell if United accepted RVP's wage demands.

Why not? Its not like Arsenal are particularly bitter rivals of ManU. They are behind City and Liverpool for a start.

Clegg

Nah, they would sell if United accepted RVP's wage demands.

Why not? Its not like Arsenal are particularly bitter rivals of ManU. They are behind City and Liverpool for a start.

Theres a lot of history between United and Arsenal and a lot of bitterness too. At the height of the rivalry, SAF and Wenger loathed each other.

They'll never sell to United imo.

jtb

Banned
RVP won't rot in the reserves. He never said he wouldn't play, he just said he won't sign a contract extension. Obviously if he spends the year in the reserves, he'll be 30, injury prone, and completely unfit. He'll play; he knows that if he stays, that's his only ticket to that big payday, and at that point, he might even go to Anzhi or the MLS to fight for trophies. A Modric situation, if you will, except he knows with even more certainty he will leave.

Obviously playing RVP would be toxic, but as long as we don't hand him a new contract extension and he gives his all while he still plays for us, I don't see the issue. Nasri played well against Liverpool before he was sold, Modric played well all last season, I'm sure RVP will too. we miss out on 20m, but if no one's willing to pay, no reason to sell him on the cheap.

having said that, if United comes with 20m+, then obviously sell.

rodvik

Theres a lot of history between United and Arsenal and a lot of bitterness too. At the height of the rivalry, SAF and Wenger loathed each other.

They'll never sell to United imo.

Just that Wenger (and potentially some board figures) are eaten up inside by the trend of Arsenal departures.

And what Clegg said.

I dunno. Wenger doesnt seem particularly torn up this transfer window, not like he was over Fabregas.

The sending off he got from Ajax was truly heartwarming, you don't get that much in football nowadays. In fairness, whilst I've no doubt he's very happy at the club and in the city, it's also worth noting that his wages were tripled to around £100k too.

That is a great send off, really stirring.

thing is, you can show loyalty and move on to win trophies. Nasri signed a contract extension before leaving Marseille so that they'd get more money when selling to us. same with Aguero and Torres when they left Atletico. Even if Suarez does leave this window, that newly signed contract will drive his price up considerably and will help Liverpool bring in replacements should he leave. everything RVP is doing (similar to Nasri) is trying to push down the price as much as possible, because he knows that he's injury prone and old and the window for a move to a big payday is quickly closing.

Sometimes cash alone isn't the problem, we don't need the RVP money,we didn't need the Cesc or Nasri money,we're a rich club who needs quality players to stick around.

Salazar

Obviously playing RVP would be toxic, but as long as we don't hand him a new contract extension and he gives his all while he still plays for us, I don't see the issue.

The open letter isn't something that can be walked back. I mean, that wasn't a leak through an agent. That was a direct fuck you.

And it would be a pathetic gesture towards Giroud and Podolski to hang on to RVP and pick him ahead of them just because Wenger can't handle his sale.

Hoplatee

That is a great send off, really stirring.

And well deserved. He was so loved over here by so many. I am by no means a fan of Ajax (gaining more love cause they changed so much, no more crazy money spending / arrogance and all that bullshit) but they really do things like that right most of the time. They planned it after some match though, should have planned it before they played. Look at the empty seats. :(

If only he didn't bite some player in some crazy wild rage he would have been even more awesome. I miss him in the Eredivisie :( Just like Bryan Ruiz but from what I understand he is barely playing/impressing. Such a terrible move, should have stayed one more year at Twente.

jtb

Banned
The open letter isn't something that can be walked back. I mean, that wasn't a leak through an agent. That was a direct fuck you.

And it would be a pathetic gesture towards Giroud and Podolski to hang on to RVP and pick him ahead of them just because Wenger can't handle his sale.

"I personally have had a great season but my goal has been to win trophies with the team and to bring the club back to its glory days.

"Out of my huge respect for Mr. Wenger, the players and the fans I don’t want to go into any details, but unfortunately in this meeting it has again become clear to me that we in many aspects disagree on the way Arsenal FC should move forward.

"I’ve thought long and hard about it, but I have decided not to extend my contract. You guys, the fans, have of course the right to disagree with my view and decision and I will always respect your opinions."

That'd hardly be going back on his fuck-you to the club. (which, make no mistake is exactly what it was.) ANyways, Podolski and Giroud have already given their (obviously BS, but let's take it at face value in the same way I'm taking RVP's statement at face value) "I'm not here to replace RVP but play with him..." statements; RVP would (or should) be competing more with Cazorla and Rosicky more than anyone, playing behind the striker in my ideal lineup. Plus, this all assumes he'd be picked on merit and that squad rotation would be happening.

Do we need him? No. But should we sell him on the cheap? Absolutely not; that sets a horrible precedent for other players at the club. Even with Nasri going all the way back to Cole, we've gotten a pretty good deal out of the sale. And we let Flamini go (the mistake wasn't letting him go, it was Wenger refusing to replace him).

oh yeah, and obligatory WAYNE ROONEY.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom