• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

flippedb

Banned
Udinese sold all their "stars". Roma sucks.

1. Juventus
2. Milan
3. Napoli
4. Who cares?

Milan will end up ahead Juve. They don't seem to be a truly fit team, they suffered through the last part of the season, and this time they'll be playing
the group stage of
another tournament, the UCL.

elsk

Banned
Milan will end up ahead Juve. They don't seem to be a truly fit team, they suffered through the last part of the season, and this time they'll be playing
the group stage of

Juve's squad is huge, tho. Lots of depth.

_woLf

Anyone watch the US Open Cup final tonight?

Seattle just got royally fucked in the ass by the referee and it cost them a 4-peat.

elsk

Banned
Anyone watch the US Open Cup final tonight?

Seattle just got royally fucked in the ass by the referee and it cost them a 4-peat.

I only watched the extra times and penalties. Good to see so many people in the football stadiums in USA.

_woLf

I only watched the extra times and penalties. Good to see so many people in the football stadiums in USA.

The attendance was half what it was the past two years were when it was hosted in Seattle.

Ref game SKC a free goal with a handball that didn't even happen, gave 4 yellow cards (resulting in 1 red) that were mostly uncalled for to Seattle, where as all penalties on SKC were just given warnings...then the GK jumping off the line, where as the SKC's GK did the exact same thing the next kick and it wasn't called... pretty awful.

Add on the fact that the game wasn't hosted in Seattle despite the Sounders being 3-time defending champions, and the game was hosted on a channel that isn't available to a good 75% of Washington (GOL-TV, instead of the usual Fox Soccer). Shady as fuck.

elsk

Banned
The attendance was half what it was the past two years were when it was hosted in Seattle.

Ref game SKC a free goal with a handball that didn't even happen, gave 4 yellow cards (resulting in 1 red) that were mostly uncalled for to Seattle, where as all penalties on SKC were just given warnings...then the GK jumping off the line, where as the SKC's GK did the exact same thing the next kick and it wasn't called... pretty awful.

Add on the fact that the game wasn't hosted in Seattle despite the Sounders being 3-time defending champions, and the game was hosted on a channel that isn't available to a good 75% of Washington (GOL-TV, instead of the usual Fox Soccer). Shady as fuck.

Are you a Sounders fan? Always loved the Seattle fans, they're the best in the MLS.

_woLf

Are you a Sounders fan? Always loved the Seattle fans, they're the best in the MLS.

I am, but even if I wasn't this was a complete disgrace to all the progress the sport has made in this country.

Az1HTivCIAAEJiN.jpg

The top was called by the ref, allowing the missed PK to be reshot.

The bottom one was not. They are the exact same thing.

elsk

Banned
I am, but even if I wasn't this was a complete disgrace to all the progress the sport has made in this country.

Az1HTivCIAAEJiN.jpg

The top was called by the ref, allowing the missed PK to be reshot.

The bottom one was not. They are the exact same thing.

Yeah, I watched that. I agree the ref looked like an idiot for what I saw of the match.

Don't worry, you'll have Mario Martínez next week :)

elsk

Banned
I'm from Chicago and have never seen anyone here wear a Chicago Fire jersey.

There's something very shitty about Chicago Fire, tho.
Seattle Sounders, DC United and Real Salt Lake are the only clubs I find likeables. Don't really know why.

Maybe Chicago Fire just needs a new rebranded name/image and invest more in youth divisions. I was going to say they needed a football-exclusive stadium but just found out they already have on!

Soi-Fong

There's something very shitty about Chicago Fire, tho.
Seattle Sounders, DC United and Real Salt Lake are the only clubs I find likeables. Don't really know why.

Haha I guess that's true too. Says much when I wasn't even hurt by what you said. Only team I like from here is the Bulls and pretty much Derrick Rose.

devilhawk

Come on now. No SKC player ever grabbed two hands full of jersey as the opponent tried to blow by them, or just simply bear hugged them on the outside of the box. Seattle was slower, there was no doubt. They were beaten by their man numerous times leading to grabbing and holding and thus cards.

The other card was because the Seattle player went off on some tirade and held up the game acting like an idiot. The handball ball was there, but I would have been okay with it not being called.

The "very next kick" was the last PK, and I am quite sure it still hasn't landed as bad as it was air-mailed.

You didn't get to host because your ownership decided not to bid enough for the right to host. Previously you had bought that right. This year you didn't.

brettreyu

Awful game, poor quality from both sides but the Sounders were jobbed.

Love the apologists for the refs, same shit as in the NFL and NBA, nothing ever changes.

Salazar should be an NFL referee scab, he would fit right in. Call holding on a last minute drive, then refuse to call it on the next play. Perfect!

Lightning

Banned
I can't help but laugh if Utd are going to give RVP a 200k+ contract... that would a massive waste of a budget but as long as we get our money and it should be 25mil if we are selling to a Manchester club then I don't care.

elsk

Banned
I can't help but laugh if Utd are going to give RVP a 200k+ contract... that would a massive waste of a budget but as long as we get our money and it should be 25mil if we are selling to a Manchester club then I don't care.

That can't be true. Are they that stupid?

Kozak

Banned
I'm 75% sure that if we get a good result in our 1st leg of Champions League play-off round, Sneijder is going to sign for Fenerbahce.

75%.

Woooo! Just got home! SPORTING MAWFAKKAN KC!!

(not from Livestrong, but from the bar where we watched it)

Oh my God that was great.

EDIT: Oh, I see it's being discussed in a really charming way. Great! I hope SKC beats the Sounders in the MLS Cup too.

Zabojnik

the group stage of

I'm sorry, what? If anything, we were the fittest team last season, excluding january and february, where our form nosedived and we had that long streak of draws. And even then they were mostly 'unjust' draws, draws that could have've been easily turned into victories, had we had a prolific striker up front. Or, alternatively, if we could have afforded to let Marchisio, Vidal and Pirlo rest for a match of two, instead of squeezing them dry. Granted, we had basically no injuries all season, so that helped too. Now, we're still looking for that striker, although with Giovinco, I believe we have quite a few assists and goals coming our way. However, there's Awesomoah now. There's Isla. There's Pogba. There's Lucio. There's Marrone, who is turning into a really, really interesting DCM/CB. We're also likely to get Armero on loan. And probably someone else.

Don't get me wrong, with Zapata and possibly Matri, Milan will have a pretty solid XI. I expect some of your talented youngsters, like El Sha and Emanuelson, to come from under Ibra's shadow and shine. Having said all that, on paper at least, your squad got worse, while Juve's got much wider, if not better. I really don't think out fitness is what you should be worried about. :)

Kozak

Banned
You're going to get Copenhagen and win 5-0 away.

Hopefully. We always get screwed over on draws.. I'm expecting at least Panathanoikos with a great possibility of Braga and Moscow.

How things changed in a couple of years, eh?

We should have been where we are 2 seasons ago. Match fixing really takes it toll.. We may not have been relegated but I know that feel Juve fans..

Lightning

Banned
Nothing signals intent on getting back the title than having the best two strikers of the Premiere League in the same team and with Kagawa as support, their goal tally might even go further.
As long as Arsenal stand firm on the price then fine. I don't think it's the deal that United need though especially at what it's going to cost them and how unreliable the player in question is.

jtb

Banned
United definitely don't need RVP, which is why I hope they fork out the extra 5m or so and buy him. Rooney wages would just be icing on the cake.

jtb

Banned
Just wondering, would you guys charge this "5 million premium" to City or both you and Lightning just hate United?

hell yeah! they paid it for Nasri, they damn well better pay it for the player of the year! City have the money so eventually they'll cave. Just like how Levy's waiting for them to cave and pay even more of Ade's wages...

Soi-Fong

hell yeah! they paid it for Nasri, they damn well better pay it for the player of the year! City have the money so eventually they'll cave. Just like how Levy's waiting for them to cave and pay even more of Ade's wages...

Ah.. It's nice to see the hate for both Manchester teams! I like it!!! :)

Lightning

Banned
Just wondering, would you guys charge this "5 million premium" to City or both you and Lightning just hate United?
We charged City an inflated fee for Nasri last year. Nasri on his last year of his contract wasn't worth the 24mil that City paid us for him so of course we would have. In fact if it's City it would probably be 10million. lol

I don't hate United. I am against us strengthening a rival and feel that we were much better served taking Juventus 15mil and telling United to go screw themselves. You don't spend over 40mil on players like we have only to sell the best striker in the league to a freakin rival. That is just dumb... So either Man U pony up or RVP should be forced to play for us next season but helping United on the cheap will be loathed by Arsenal fans.

Salazar

United definitely don't need RVP, which is why I hope they fork out the extra 5m or so and buy him. Rooney wages would just be icing on the cake.

It would be appropriate if pissing around on a transfer was the high point of Arsenal's 2012-13 season.

And Arsenal fans' bitterness does not a rivalry make.

Soi-Fong

We charged City an inflated fee for Nasri last year. Nasri on his last year of his contract wasn't worth the 24mil that City paid us for him so of course we would have.

I don't hate United. I am against us strengthening a rival and feel that we were much better served taking Juventus 15mil and telling United to go screw themselves. You don't spend over 40mil on players like we have only to sell the best striker in the league to a freakin rival. That is just dumb... So either Man U pony up or RVP should be forced to play for us next season but helping United on the cheap will be loathed by Arsenal fans.

Ah, it's understandable. Still, I don't think it's only Arsenal choice on the matter here. The Arse board would go nuts on Wenger to allow RVP leave for free.

Van Persie is gonna have to make a choice REALLY soon.

jtb

Banned
It would be appropriate if pissing around on a transfer was the high point of Arsenal's 2012-13 season.

It's an improvement from getting beaten 8-2 and losing Carling Cup finals, no? But, hey, after missing out on gems like Bebe, it's easy to get excited about transfer muppetry this time around.

Ah, it's understandable. Still, I don't think it's only Arsenal choice on the matter here. The Arse board would go nuts on Wenger to allow RVP leave for free.

Van Persie is gonna have to make a choice REALLY soon.

He already made his choice a month ago. The Arsenal board should sit down and shut the fuck up; their greed and idiocy is directly responsible for consistent failure on the pitch. Players leave on free transfers. It's happened before, I don't see why it can't happen again. Buy a full back and it won't matter whether RVP stays or leaves because this squad will finally achieve the impossible: winning a fucking trophy.

Soi-Fong

It's an improvement from getting beaten 8-2 and losing Carling Cup finals, no? But, hey, after missing out on gems like Bebe, it's easy to get excited about transfer muppetry this time around.

He already made his choice a month ago. The Arsenal board should sit down and shut the fuck up; their greed and idiocy is directly responsible for consistent failure on the pitch. Players leave on free transfers. It's happened before, I don't see why it can't happen again. Buy a full back and it won't matter whether RVP stays or leaves because this squad will finally achieve the impossible: winning a fucking trophy.

True.. Arsenal's defense is leaky as fuck. Hell, I think M'Vila would've helped you guys out as well, but actually, I wonder... Whatever happened to that transfer?

jtb

Banned
True.. Arsenal's defense is leaky as fuck. Hell, I think M'Vila would've helped you guys out as well, but actually, I wonder... Whatever happened to that transfer?

M'Vila on hold if Sahin goes through (according to resident ITK The Other One, though it actually makes sense, even if both would be preferable since they don't play in the same role), might be on again if Song is sold.

faridmon

And there goes the Danish hope on Getting an OL medal in the mens side of Handball. Lol.

I actually liked their playing style, but there was dude that I hated his physic and therefore made me hate the whole team. Danmark was probably the best team that used their wingers well.

Too bad, mofos. Better luck in another dimension. Also, since when did the swedes become good at Handball?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom