• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

confuziz

Banned
Never heard of it. What type of cheese is it? I'll keep an eye out next time I'm shopping.

less fat, more flavour (imo)

It costs £24m and isn't very good.

James-Milner_2770251.jpg

I just dont understand the logic of continuing this trend of selling, not fringe players, but our best players to our direct rivals whilst claiming our intent is to challenge them for the league. And thats our squad not even being comparably as strong with those players (Nasri, Clichy, RVP) in our side. What does this say to our players right now that the club is willing to strengthen rivals with our own talent? It's Song this season, who will it be next? Wilshere?

Wouldn't it make far more sense to reject their bids irrespective of the offer?

I have no idea how this guy is playing for Milan. The defensive nous of Carl Jenkinson with the technical ability of Wayne Bridge.

I can't honestly remember a single good match from him.

He's with us because last year we desperately needed a LB, having the others injured, and he was the cheapest.

From Rory Smith, a journo with The Times.

:lol

Oh dear. Rory hasn't grasped the modern transfer strategy. You get the player to agitate for a move by saying publicly that their club is being unreasonable, thus procuring a lower transfer fee. Or you just pay double if you're City or PSG.

GorillaJu

Fuck me after like 4 horrible, horrible matches of Fifa 12 online, after having seen Dzeko and Gomez and Benzema miss shot after shot inches wide and off the post, I decided to pick Juve and I win 4-0.

I never should have doubted you, Yurt.

Wilbur

Banned
Fuck me after like 4 horrible, horrible matches of Fifa 12 online, after having seen Dzeko and Gomez and Benzema miss shot after shot inches wide and off the post, I decided to pick Juve and I win 4-0.

Krasic hat trick?

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Selling RVP to United or City is as silly as selling/giving away Pirlo to Juve. You can't do that if you're aiming for the title.

;D

Who scored the goals?

WJD

welbeck and chicharito aren't going to cut it against the likes of barcelona and madrid.

They more than likely wouldn't play against either of those teams, especially after the 2011 final.

If we played one of them I'd expect the team to be:

--------------- Rooney ----------------
Nani --------- Kagawa ------ Valencia
--------- Scholes - Carrick -----------
Evra -------- Rio --- Vidic ----- Rafael
--------------- De Gea ----------------

Or a similar variation.

And where would RVP fit into that team? Though considering Rooney's current form, he'd probably take his place.

I just watched the Madrid vs Milan highlights. HOLY FUCK

Santos Laguna put more of a fight. My God.

Playing at 40º C and Madrid didn't even try.

Can't compare, but yes, Milan is going to take a long time to rebiuld as a top tier team.

But it's fine as long they follow the Financial Fair Play policy.

Clegg

They more than likely wouldn't play against either of those teams, especially after the 2011 final.

Or a similar variation.

And where would RVP fit into that team? Though considering Rooney's current form, he'd probably take his place.

Its become clear to me that we aren't getting RVP so I'll just draw up my own muppet formation

--------- Sahin - Carrick -----------

kharma45

Or a similar variation.

Stick Valencia at RB, Nani on the right, Rafael takes Evra's place and then we can squeeze RVP in, although we'd have to have Kagawa or Rooney on the left, unless we let them interchangeably move about.

I'm just presuming Rafael could play LB, he couldn't be any worse than Evra at times.

bud

Or a similar variation.

that is still an awful line-up no matter how you look at it. scholes and carrick? rio and vidic? do you honestly think you'll be able to beat those two teams with those immobile defenders? it's 2012, replace all of those four already.

and rooney's great, but i don't really see him as a central forward. van persie is a much better central forward. rooney would do great playing around him.

Wilbur

Banned
that is still an awful line-up no matter how you look at it. scholes and carrick? rio and vidic? do you honestly think you'll be able to beat those two teams with those immobile defenders? it's 2012, replace all of those four already.

and rooney's great, but i don't really see him as a central forward. van persie is a much better central forward. rooney would do great playing around him.

Rooney scored 34 goals playing as a centre forward a few years ago. Getting rid of Vidic and Carrick seems highly irrational.

Clegg

What else are we going to do? Rio and Vidic is still a better partnership than most in world football. CM and LB are only real problems. Thats a very strong team on paper.

Replace Namanja Vidic? You're such an Arsenal fan.

bud

how many of those goals did he score as a central forward?

What else are we going to do? Rio and Vidic is still a better partnership than most in world football. CM and LB are only real problems. Thats a very strong team on paper.

Replace Namanja Vidic? You're such an Arsenal fan.

at least replace one of them. they're both very similar players and mostly just pure defenders. if you don't want to dominate against barcelona or madrid, at least one of your central defenders should be able to pass around decently and move into midfield.

WJD

All of them. He played either on his own up top or with Berbatov behind him that season. He was also complete cack as a number 10 for large parts of this season. The fact you want to get rid of Carrick (arguably our best player last season) and Vidic (arguably the best defender in the world) is also pretty laughable.

bud

i misread that willbury post, btw. i thought he was talking about last season. my bad.

and thiago silva's the best defender in the world. his passing's pretty great, too; way better than vidic's.

pappe

----------RVP----------
Nani--------------------------Valencia
----Rooney-----Kagawa------
-----------Carrick-------------
Evra-----Vidic-----Rio-----------Rafael

Wait wait wait... Am i reading this right? An Arsenal fan think Vidic is no good??? Oh My God!!!

bud

in that line-up posted by wjd, i'd replace scholes with kagawa, put rvp up front with rooney behind him. kagawa would have to get a more attacking role instead of playing mostly next to carrick, though.

at least replace one of them. they're both very similar players and mostly just pure defenders. if you don't want to dominate against barcelona or madrid, at least one of your central defenders should be able to pass around decently and move into midfield.

:lol funny joke

Oh wait you're being serious...

pappe

Rio is actually quite a good passer of the ball.

Clegg

i misread that willbury post, btw. i thought he was talking about last season. my bad.

and thiago silva's the best defender in the world. his passing's pretty great, too; way better than vidic's.

Rio used to be a very good ball playing defender. He still is tbh, but he hasn't the legs anymore to maraud into midfield. The only top class ball playing defender that might be available is Hummels. But he has just signed a new contract with Dortmund so he'd cost .around £30-40m.

Vidic is the destroyer. He'll try to stop anything that comes through the air and he'll win most physical battles with players too.

I would agree that Rio is getting on a bit but he's been one of the best ball playing CBs in the modern era

If you wanna play good football nowadays, you need a CB that doesn't mess up with the ball.

Rio fits, but United should really start to look for another CB who isn't afraid of playing the ball.

Clegg

The only CB I'd be happy with from that list is Evans. Smalling is a decent defender and comfortable on the ball but hes been fairly dogged with injuries for the last 6 months. And Jones has a lot of developing to do before he becomes a top class defender.

Wilbur

Banned
If you wanna play good football nowadays, you need a CB that doesn't mess up with the ball.

Rio fits, but United should really start to look for another CB who isn't afraid of playing the ball.

WJD has it right. All three of our young centre backs are ball playing. Certainly not fantastic yet but Smalling and Jones especially are real talents.

Evans has had a strong year but he doesn't have the potential the other two do for me

WJD

The only CB I'd be happy with from that list is Evans. Smalling is a decent defender and comfortable on the ball but hes been fairly dogged with injuries for the last 6 months. And Jones has a lot of developing to do before he becomes a top class defender.

WJD has it right. All three of our young centre backs are ball playing. Certainly not fantastic yet but Smalling and Jones especially are real talents.

Well I guess that's all 3 of them covered!

For what it's worth, I reckon Jones is potentially the best talent of the lot, but conversely is the furthest away from his end product. Evans proved this season that he's an excellent ball playing defender and has for the most part cleared up his brain farts. Like Clegg, I worry about Smalling's injuries but he showed in 10/11 what a classy defender he is.

I think we will have to buy another defenders in a couple of years. How good a defender we'll find out depending on the development of the ones we currently have.

I really don't think we have a problem playing out from the defence though. Especially when our midfield players sit as deep as they do.

Evans is actually a brilliant footballer believe it or not. He's very good at carrying the ball and picks some great passes too.

Clegg

IMO United have a lot of trouble against teams that harry us and don't give us time on the ball.

The players start making mistakes and become frustrated. The coaching staff just hasn't come up with a way to counteract that threat.

Linius

So, that old fella Murdoch decided to buy the Eredivisie rights in The Netherlands. Guess I'll be needing a new (Sky) decoder anytime soon...

WJD

IMO United have a lot of trouble against teams that harry us and don't give us time on the ball.

The players start making mistakes and become frustrated. The coaching staff just hasn't come up with a way to counteract that threat.

More players like Nani and Scholes and less like Young and Anderson would be a start.

bud

I would agree that Rio is getting on a bit but he's been one of the best ball playing CBs in the modern era

united's central defenders usually hoof the ball the moment the opponent pressurizes them.

they are clueless in a small(er) space.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom