• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

xintin

Anybody else seen the Azpilicueta to Chelsea muppetry flying around on Twitter this morning?

Apparently terms and fees agreed and awaiting a medical, not sure if it's been posted already. Good signing it would seem to me, need that fullback position filling asap.
He's been linked off and on since we played OM a few years ago in the CL. Good signing.

Linius

Cosigned.

The last discussion we had about Oasis made me listen to Morning Glory for the first time in awhile. It's much better than I remembered, but I still can't see them topping Blur for me

The thing about Blur is, they made some great 'normal' Britpop (Parklife) but they also knew how to experiment in a good way (13 and Think Thank). They're the complete package for me.

By the way, talking about great english bands, Enter Shikari is probably one of my favorites ;)

They do make a lot of noise, but not in a good way I'm afraid. Will dodge those guys at a festival I'm attending next week :p

Meier

Liverpool fans are a trip. Because City paid X amount for Lescott and United paid Y amount for Rio, Agger is worth Z amount that is greater than both of those numbers because he's better than Lescott and is better at this point than when United bought Rio (their words).

When confronted with this concept being applied to a new striker they buy having to cost over 35m, it's can't we just get over the Andy Carroll saga!?

Linius

They spammed the thread with shite and started attacking posters that didn't post in their thread. Thats why the thread was locked the first time.

They spammed the thread with shit again and it was locked.

You must be quite stupid to lock down your own community thread :p

They spammed the thread with shite and started attacking posters that didn't post in their thread. Thats why the thread was locked the first time.

They spammed the thread with shit again and it was locked.

Them attacking new posters was a joke. It wasn't serious. Some posters took it to heart though.

sohois

Liverpool fans are a trip. Because City paid X amount for Lescott and United paid Y amount for Rio, Agger is worth Z amount that is greater than both of those numbers because he's better than Lescott and is better at this point than when United bought Rio (their words).

When confronted with this concept being applied to a new striker they buy having to cost over 35m, it's can't we just get over the Andy Carroll saga!?

If Liverpool valued everything in relation to Andy Carroll then City would be looking at £60million for Agger.

Mastadon

Banned

You really can't differentiate between the two situations? And what new striker has this concept been applied to?

Salazar

Liverpool fans aren't as ridiculous as folks calling Ferguson a hypocrite for expressing skepticism about PSG's transfer circus.

Tc91

Have you discussed Kaka last night? Caught the 2nd half before going to sleep and saw he got 3 assists after coming on, surely someone should sign him up.

When United bought Rio he was 23. Agger is 27.

Sal - Fergie is a hypocrite. He was willing to pay £30m for Lucy, PSG paid £35m, boo-hoo

Meier

You really can't differentiate between the two situations? And what new striker has this concept been applied to?

There is no difference between the situations because valuations are never a 1 to 1 scenario. Just because United paid €30m for Anderson, it doesn't mean every young MF they buy is worth that amount or more. Situations regarding transfers change.

Agger may very well be "worth more" than Lescott in the open market but just because Lescott cost a certain amount when City was building a club doesn't automatically inflate Agger's value to an amount greater than that especially given his injury history. You can't look at these things in a bubble.

There is no difference between the situations because valuations are never a 1 to 1 scenario. Just because United paid €30m for Anderson, it doesn't mean every young MF they buy is worth that amount or more. Situations regarding transfers change.

Agger may very well be "worth more" than Lescott in the open market but just because Lescott cost a certain amount when City was building a club doesn't automatically inflate Agger's value to an amount greater than that especially given his injury history. You can't look at these things in a bubble.
Marwood probably explained that in detail to Liverpool.

They were probably like - "mmm nah, we want £25m."

Wilbur

Banned

I disagree somewhat in this instance. Liverpool have every right to say a) Lescott was worth as much to Everton as Agger does to us, so therefore they should cost around the same, and b) Agger is the better player so perhaps a few more million is fair.

It's like Usho was saying last week about Modric. He may not be worth 40m to anyone, but he's worth it to Spurs.

Meier

Marwood probably explained that in detail to Liverpool.

They were probably like - "mmm nah, we want £25m."

Haha, that's probably true.

I disagree somewhat in this instance. Liverpool have every right to say a) Lescott was worth as much to Everton as Agger does to us, so therefore they should cost around the same, and b) Agger is the better player so perhaps a few more million is fair.

It's like Usho was saying last week about Modric. He may not be worth 40m to anyone, but he's worth it to Spurs.

Yeah, I definitely get that concept and understand Liverpool's stance -- I think they'd be crazy to sell him personally. I'm just getting a kick out of their deluded fans.

I still want Javi Martinez personally. :(

GorillaJu

Meier I don't know what you expect from fans of any team whose players you're targeting. Your team is going after one of our very best players, and one of the best defenders in Europe. It's not a one-to-one comparison with Lescott, but City's riches must be taken into account here.

If City suddenly want to spend their money more wisely, good for them. But the club and its fans are going to have to accept that they made their own bed.

Michael Laudrup was going on about how since we overpaid for Downing and Carroll, we should overpay for Joe Allen. No one (even himself) believes that's true, surely, but its a bargaining tactic and when the club doesn't want to sell, you're going to hear that phrase come out.

Kyoufu

This is amazing.

Az23goGCAAEfysC.jpg

K1LLER7

Apparently a £20m bid from Juve for RVP was accepted, but the player doesn't want to move there. A 17.5m bid from United was turned down.

Mastadon

Banned

It'd be different if we were openly looking to get rid of him, but that's not the case, and in this situation the player looks like he's happy to stay. We've set a figure based on what he's worth to us. Seems fair enough to me.

Clegg

Apparently a £20m bid from Juve for RVP was accepted, but the player doesn't want to move there. A 17.5m bid from United was turned down.

Hes off to Juventus imo.

United wont offer more than £20m and Arsenal will want more than that from us.

The transfer will drag on till the last few days and RVP will go to Juve as they'll be the only team willing to buy him.

United are taking the piss imo. They won't be able to lowball Arsenal. They'll need to pony up £5m more if they want him.

K1LLER7

Hes off to Juventus imo.

United wont offer more than £20m and Arsenal will want more than that from us.

The transfer will drag on till the last few days and RVP will go to Juve as they'll be the only team willing to buy him.
Yeah can't see Wenger budging on this, Juve will probably get him or he'll spend a year and arsenal lose out on 20m. It's better if Fergie turns his attention to another player, CM preferably. Hope the Isco rumours are true and we're interested.

Kyoufu

Arsenal have no choice but to accept wherever RVP wants to go. He's not going to Juve just because Wenger doesn't want to sell to United/City.

Meier

This is amazing.

http://p.twimg.com/Az23goGCAAEfysC.jpg[img][/QUOTE]

Hah, that's funny. I plugged in the numbers into an inflation calculator and that amount is roughly the equivalent of £33.5m now to boot.

"£27,000,000.00 in 2004 is equivalent to £33,535,643.09 in 2012"
[url]http://www.whatsthecost.com/cpi.aspx[/url]

Wilbur

Banned
This is amazing.

http://p.twimg.com/Az23goGCAAEfysC.jpg[/ig][/QUOTE]

Already said to Kermit and dc why there's differences in the transfers, as well as the transfers of Ruud, Berbatov, Rio, Veron etc, but yes he's being hypocritical.

[quote="K1LLER7, post: 40829040"]Apparently a £20m bid from Juve for RVP was accepted, but the player doesn't want to move there. A 17.5m bid from United was turned down.[/QUOTE]

RVP's stupid if he turns Juve down.

[quote="Wes, post: 40829119"]New rumour that Villa have made a bid for Kenwyne Jones.[/QUOTE]

Always rated him. Very lazy but unplayable on his rare day, if he was consistent he'd be great.

GorillaJu

Already said to Kermit and dc why there's differences in the transfers, as well as the transfers of Ruud, Berbatov, Rio, Veron etc, but yes he's being hypocritical.

Always rated him. Very lazy but unplayable on his rare day, if he was consistent he'd be great.

Not that stupid – more to do with the league than the club. He has been in the Premier League for 8 years. He probably wants to finish his career there.

He'd be great for Juve, but he probably fancies playing in the PL.

K1LLER7

Out of the 3 clubs interested, he wants a move to United. The Juve betting scandal seemed to have put him off with a move there and City because he doesn't want to be branded the same as Nasri/Clichy. The move to United could happen if they up the offer to £20m and RVP tries to force a move. Even then it's not 100% certain that Arsenal will sell.

Kyoufu

Because Juve are a fantastic team with a fantastic manager
until he's jailed
with a real chance of winning the league and RVP would be main man and not have to play second fiddle to Rooney.

All 3 clubs are fantastic teams with fantastic managers. Yes, even Mancini. All 3 have real chances of winning the league too.

Would he really play second fiddle to Rooney though? Rooney wasn't top scorer or PotY last season.

Wilbur

Banned
Not that stupid – more to do with the league than the club. He has been in the Premier League for 8 years. He probably wants to finish his career there.

He'd be great for Juve, but he probably fancies playing in the PL.

I understand that but I honestly think at this stage of his career the hate he'll get off Arsenal fans and the fact he won't be automatic first choice... seems silly to me.

Out of the 3 clubs interested, he wants a move to United. The Juve betting scandal seemed to have put him off with a move there and City because he doesn't want to be branded the same as Nasri/Clichy. The move to United could happen if they up the offer to £20m and RVP tries to force a move. Even then it's not 100% certain that Arsenal will sell.

I completely understand him not wanting to go City (same with Agger)

K1LLER7

All 3 clubs are fantastic teams with fantastic managers. Yes, even Mancini.

Would he really play second fiddle to Rooney though? Rooney wasn't top scorer or PotY last season.
I'd find a formation to try and play both. Give Rooney, Nani, Kagawa and RVP a free role in the team and let them drift around the pitch.

Apparently one of his agents tweeted something about the latest Juve scandal and said something like "doesn't exactly make you wanna move there".

He was probably just messing and it seems the accused will be cleared anyway but I can see that casting some doubts over players going there...it doesn't help anyway.

I think if RVP has really said no to Juve, he truly thinks he can force through his move within England. He'll look a bit silly if Juve go on and sign somebody else and Arsenal don't sell him.

Meier

I think he probably would. Rooney is definitely Man U's most famous player to the average person. Unless you're a big fan of soccer/football, you honestly probably have never heard of RVP in many places while Rooney is a relative household name due to all the Nike advertising over the past decade or so.

The Guardian are suggesting City are interested in Damiao. Would explain Mancini's appearance at the Brazil match the other day.

Wilbur

Banned
All 3 clubs are fantastic teams with fantastic managers. Yes, even Mancini. All 3 have real chances of winning the league too.

Mancini isn't a fantastic manager. A very good one but not fantastic. But that's arguable I suppose.

I would think at his age and considering Fergie's obvious affinity for Rooney and Welbeck that RVP won't be automatic starter.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
I'm sorry but why are we calling it the JUVE scandal? We have nothing to do with it. It's Siena and the other shit Serie B clubs. Quite unfortunate/malicious how they dragged Conte and the others into it.

Drawing the line

By the way, talking about great english bands, Enter Shikari is probably one of my favorites ;)

Thanks!

sohois

If Wenger said to RVP "Either move to Juve or stay here another year, I'm not selling you to Utd," then surely RVP would have to go Juve. Of course RVP could call Wenger's bluff but I reckon Wenger would have the greater resolve in that situation.

Kyoufu

Mancini isn't a fantastic manager. A very good one but not fantastic. But that's arguable I suppose.

I would think at his age and considering Fergie's obvious affinity for Rooney and Welbeck that RVP won't be automatic starter.

You don't buy RVP and not have him be an automatic starter. Also, Welbeck starting and not RVP? Whatttttt

He'll be a starter at all 3 clubs. Even City who are loaded with Strikers already.

Personally I think he's just a bad buy for both Manchester clubs. None of them need him and given his age it's not like he can hang at the clubs for long. I don't get why they want to buy him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom