• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Man, I would totally take Sandro for Bayern.

article-1334651517842-129CC182000005DC-473920_636x300.jpg

Lightning

Banned

Seriously, this stuff is mind-boggling. If AVB has put Sandro on the transfer list then he is an utter, utter moron and I will pray every day for his sacking. Hopefully this is just some French rag who don't realise how important Sandro is to us. Maybe they confused him with Jenas.
I wouldn't put too much into that. The French media have been trying to hype M'Vila for some time now.... But it has all be agent bullshit. If its coming from French media it's best ignored.

If you sell Sandro, you can have Lucas for £60million and Modric

Also, obviously Debuchy isn't in the photo because he's not one of the 6 best Lille players

Salvadora

Wonder if we'll see another explosive start to the season for City/United. I'm just hoping we don't repeat the beginning of last season, Although that would be quite a feat.

GorillaJu

I think that Liverpool XI is well ahead of Newcastle's with the exception of midfield, where I'd have Cabaye over Gerrard, and up front where I'd take Cisse over Carroll.

Wilbur

Banned
I think that Liverpool XI is well ahead of Newcastle's with the exception of midfield, where I'd have Cabaye over Gerrard, and up front where I'd take Cisse over Carroll.

There's an argument for Coloccini over Skrtel in my eyes and Krul over Reina if he keeps up his dogshit form over the last year (but Reina is a better keeper). Mix the two would be best.

Reina; Johnson, Coloccini, Agger, Enrique; Lucas, Tiote, Cabaye; Ben Arfa, Cisse, Suarez

Fry

That still isn't better than Newcastle's first XI. The Scouse cycle is in full swing.

I think both teams have a compatible first team, with no big difference in quality expect for finishing.

Posting a random twit by a random fan is silly though.

jtb

Banned
Can someone explain to me what Joe Allen can do that someone like Henderson (who had a poor first season, absolutely, but iirc, Dalglish played him out of position quite a bit) or Gerrard (technically proficient, just tell him to stop playing the Hollywood pass) can't? Or why, even if he can, he's somehow worth 15m? Especially Gerrard. You'd think with his injury problems, he'd want to adapt his game more to relying less and less on mobility since he'll never tear up the league the way he and Torres used to, not at his age.

GorillaJu

Pretty sure something similar was said last season too.

Just going off what looks better on paper to my eyes

There's an argument for Coloccini over Skrtel in my eyes and Krul over Reina if he keeps up his dogshit form over the last year (but Reina is a better keeper). Mix the two would be best.

Reina; Johnson, Coloccini, Agger, Enrique; Lucas, Tiote, Cabaye; Ben Arfa, Cisse, Suarez

I would take Allen over Tiote but Ben Arfa over Borini would probably be a wise choice. I have faith in him but Ben Arfa was brilliant this last season.

Kem0sabe

Good question. That's one hell of a breed though. I'd hug it.

I am very sensitive to anything Debuchy related right now ok

You could always put one of these on the pic...

Stella_Brindle_French_Bulldog.jpg

An ex-GF had one of these things as a pet, French Bulldog, fucking horrible creature, would sit at the foot of the bed looking at us with those beady eyes.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Can someone explain to me what Joe Allen can do that someone like Henderson (who had a poor first season, absolutely, but iirc, Dalglish played him out of position quite a bit) or Gerrard (technically proficient, just tell him to stop playing the Hollywood pass) can't? Or why, even if he can, he's somehow worth 15m? Especially Gerrard. You'd think with his injury problems, he'd want to adapt his game more to relying less and less on mobility since he'll never tear up the league the way he and Torres used to, not at his age.

I agree, I don't think Allen is any different to Henderson in terms of ability. He's just used to Rodgers system.

The only position I think City are not the strongest is full back. Cole and Walker are probably better than Clichy and Zabaleta.

GorillaJu

He can tackle, he's more composed on the ball, he can dribble out of tight spaces and rarely misplaces a pass.

They're similar - I'd personally like to see Henderson played forward more.

Manager favourite. Rodgers will no doubt believe that having Allen in his side will be the catalyst to getting his idea and vision over on the field. Rather than trying to coach Henderson for several months, he'll be able to fit Allen in and hope things click quicker.

Kyoufu

You are funny. You think Simpson is better than Johnson? No Lucas?

Agreed

Never said Simpson is better than Johnson. Simpson is crap IMO, but we're most likely signing a RB (probably Van der Wiel) before the start of the season and selling Simpson.

GorillaJu

City play together as an exact equal of the sum of their parts or slightly below it, IMO.

Agree with chriswok that if they somehow gained United's efficiency they'd simply steamroll the league.

Kyoufu

I think they've got an awful lot to prove this season.

He is also worse than Johnson.

OK FINE WE'LL TAKE JOHNSON

only because we couldn't get Debuchy. GOD.

As for Lucas.. No. DM isn't an area we're worried about as we have Tiote and Bigirmana as well as the hopeful signing of Vurnon Anita.

From the little I know:

-Henderson has the ability and skill to do the same job as Allen, but not the confidence to impose himself on a game in the way we need (yet)
-The closer Gerrard is to the goal, the better. Also, injuries
-Allen has a touch of the Wilsheres, in his almost innate ability to find space in which to receive the ball and move it on efficiently and in a way which turns recycling possession into attacking

In a couple of years I'd like to see a midfield 3 of Lucas sitting just behind Allen, and Henderson, Shelvey and Suso rotating for the other spot. If we get Allen, we're looking great for the future in those positions, but we still need back-up for Lucas.

Reina
Johnson
Skrtel
Agger
Enrique
Lucas
Cabaye
Ben Arfa
Bellamy
Suarez
Cisse

Because fuck Newcastle, and fuck our wingers/strikers

Wilbur

Banned
Newcapool hybrids are the best ones we've had in years. Indicative of how far Liverpool have fallen
lol guys lol

Feorax

In a couple of years I'd like to see a midfield 3 of Lucas sitting just behind Allen, and Henderson, Shelvey and Suso rotating for the other spot. If we get Allen, we're looking great for the future in those positions, but we still need back-up for Lucas.

Hence why I hope we're serious about Sahin. He could be not only a backup for Lucas, but also apprently can play LB? Would mean we could have a backup to Enrique as well without needing to put too much pressure on Robinson.

Not that I think we could compete with Arsenal, but we really should be pushing in case the opportunity does arise.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom