• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

dc89

I started playing football in real life again a couple of months ago. I must say, I've completely forgotten what a joy it is to actually play the beautiful game. I play futsal, 5 or 6 a side on an artificial pitch in a "cage" with nets forming the enclosure all around.

I'm a pretty decent defender but my basics of dribbling and passing are terrible. So I went to pick up a new ball and am currently hitting it against the wall on my front porch to improve. Lol.

Playing is so good! Been playing 5 a side for like 18 months now, I love it!

G17

All this "United are our biggest rivals" talk from Arsenal fans is so odd.

Tottenham will always be our biggest rivals. That said, most fans would rather give up RVP to City than strengthen Ferguson's squad. The past four years won't erase the 10 before it.

Is Sahin an Arsenal player yet?

One of those "reliable" twitter profiles says it has "exclusive news" on the deal at 12 BST. Take it with a grain of salt.

Tottenham will always be our biggest rivals. That said, most fan would rather give up RVP to City than strengthen Ferguson's squad. The past four years won't erase the 10 before it.

20 even. The Arsenal - Utd rivalry really kicked off in 1990. That said, I would shun City also.

This Conte thing doesn't help though.

Lightning

Banned
All this "United are our biggest rivals" talk from Arsenal fans is so odd.
You're not our biggest rival but you're a threat to us achieving our goals. Despite United fans looking down and considering us beneath their club with their arrogance we too want to be champions of the premier league, fa cup, champions league etc... and to that end United are in the way and therefore are considered a rival and our best players should not be sold to them for this reason.

Salazar

Despite United fans looking down and considering us beneath their club with their arrogance.

It's not arrogance that puts Arsenal below United. It's United's domination of English football in the Premier League era.

Granted, every season starts with something of a blank-slate atmosphere. And Arsenal have strengthened.

But you'd think there was a delicate equilibrium between the two clubs.

ibsnha00shivvzpbcad.gif

Cant even beat his man, pft. I've seen Puyol with more tekkers

G17

It's not arrogance that puts Arsenal below United. It's United's domination of English football in the Premier League era.

Granted, every season starts with something of a blank-slate atmosphere. And Arsenal have strengthened.

If you are going by titles won during the Premier League era then United wouldn't have any rivals on par but the definition of rivals we are using different. Tottenham will always be our biggest rivals not because of the tables but the geography and history. United are big ones as well with the rivalry that the two clubs have had for the majority of the Premier League era.

Most United fans wouldn't say Liverpool aren't their rivals just because of their lack of domestic success in recent years.

Lightning

Banned

You need to understand though that many Arsenal fans enjoyed the invincible era and badly want that success again. United are a big obstacle to us achieving that, therefore have to be considered a rival, no matter how you slice it. Selling our best players to any of the top sides is dumb, no matter how it's reasoned. It strengthens a team we need to beat. Simple as that.

Arsenal have finished 2nd and 3rd countless times, but that's not good enough for the fans, as we want to be 1st. Which club has been the biggest obstacle? How anyone can say not a rival is beyond me... And Arsenal's management seem to agree with how they are playing hardball on this transfer.

Would you be okay if Nani was sold to us?

Anderson

Going to Anfield for the first time when Arsenal play them, any advice from LIVERPOOL GAF for where away fans can drink and what station is most suitable to get to Anfield?

Salazar

Would you be okay if Nani was sold to us?

I'd be annoyed if he were sold to any English club. I don't think the acquisition of individual players makes a critical difference in any but a select and infrequent number of cases. I don't think Nani is that kind of player, and despite a supreme season, I don't think RVP is either.

My dislike for Arsenal has cooled largely because they cleaned themselves up - and there was a period, under Wenger, when Arsenal were a dirty side.

Zabojnik

Conte should be banned for life, no room in the game for cheats.

It obviously won't change your mind, but you should at least know he's not even accused of cheating.

Still reading the document, will try to sum it all up later today. All I can say for now is that with Giulia Bongiorno (lawyer) on board and the sheer ridiculousness of the sentence's motivation, Conte could very well be cleared after three (I think) levels of appeal. Or at the very least see the sentence greatly reduced.

So happy for SP7 and Bonucci. Let it all out tomorrow vs. Napoli, boys!

Choc

Banned
anyone caught fixing matches or involved in it should go for life

in Australia you can go to jail for it. We had a big thing in the NRL last year.

I am not saying Conte is guilty just my thoughts on match fixing.

Salazar

Tim Nash ‏@TimNash1
#Wolves reject £9m deal from West Ham for Jarvis.That's £6m + £3m in un-guaranteed add-ons. Club reject £12m-plus from S'land for Fletcher.

What are they playing at

Nobody wants Sunderland's money.

Just woke up.. and watched the game again. Was quite impressed with Borini's goal - looked like he'd just put his foot through it from where we were (row 66..), so I was quite surprised to see it was a snappy little volley. Yeah Arnie, you really should have got in on those tickets. We ended up paying £12 each! Parking is the fucking worst, however.

Belatedly weighing in on the Vita... I somehow managed to pick one up at launch. Speaking purely from my personal experience with it, I'm pretty happy with it. I'm at my girlfriend's house quite often and they only have one telly (bloody savages) so it's perfect for me if I don't feel like watching Chop Socky Chooks or whatever the fuck kids watch today. Being able to sit at home and play through MGS2 then carry on my game at hers is pretty awesome, and it's a shame that devs aren't really doubling down on that aspect. Anyways, even if the console somehow works out for my lifestyle, the Vita post-launch has been a complete and utter car crash the world over, and it takes a special kind of company like Sony to do that as well as they have.

Oh, and check out the Dark Souls PC thread. Meltdowns ahoy!

Oxx

Poor Vita. But it should be obvious now that if Gaf loves what you're doing, you should be very afraid. And if Gaf hates it, you're on the right track.

Championship club turning down 20m in transfers?

I'd bite their hand off if they were offering me 12m for Fletcher

We have £0 debt, so we dont need to sell, they all have years left on their contracts so IF they go then they will be going for what the club value them at, think our valuation is £15m for Fletcher and arounf £12m for Jarvis or something like that

Wilbur

Banned
We have £0 debt, so we dont need to sell, they all have years left on their contracts so IF they go then they will be going for what the club value them at, think our valuation is £15m for Fletcher and arounf £12m for Jarvis or something like that

I can understand them holding onto the players if that's their valuation, I'm not knocking Wolves for it... but £15m for Fletcher is quite high. He's a goal scorer I suppose.

Has Jarvis handed in a transfer request?

I can understand them holding onto the players if that's their valuation, I'm not knocking Wolves for it... but £15m for Fletcher is quite high. He's a goal scorer I suppose.

Has Jarvis handed in a transfer request?

Nah hes not handed one in yet, if he does then i reckon the club will just reject it like it looks like theyve done with Fletchers.

Kenka

It's not gonna be easy for Lucerne.

They are a nice and well-manage club. Hopefully, they will gather 8 to 10 pts in this year's competition. But against the likes of Stuttgart, PSV and Genk it's not gonna be easy.

So uhh, champion's league playoff round draw should be in 5 minutes.

Our manager is saying plz no Fener. Not sure why but some of our players are saying they want Gladbach... Ugh. I'm hoping for Malaga and that they by the time we play them have sold half their team and are in shambles.

Our manager is saying plz no Fener. Not sure why but some of our players are saying they want Gladbach... Ugh. I'm hoping for Malaga and that they by the time we play them have sold half their team and are in shambles.

Spartak Moscow says they don't care who they face. I guess if you're gonna lose 10-3 anyway then it doesn't matter who the opponent will be. But yeah I agree, I think Malaga should be the preferred opponent for everyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom