• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
We have to be careful with spending, that's all there is to it. If Marry could throw another 10M€ at Arsenal and RVP, he would do it. And while it's true we spent 30M€+ on Isla Bonita and Awesomoah, it was simply too good an opportunity to pass. As for the striker ... let's see if Beppe can pull a last minute miracle.

For the record, I don't really think that Pazzini is a bad striker and I certainly wouldn't be opposed to a Pazzini - Quaglia exchange.

Actually, we spent €9m on half of Asamoah, and €9.4m on half of Isla. So, all told, if we're going at a fixed cost, we're looking at €36.8m for the pair. And if they perform well this season, which Asamoah has already shown he's going to be a big player, we're probably talking closer to €40m total.

FANTAMERCATO INDEED.

My opinion? If Asamoah performs for us throughout the season as he did for Udinese and has for us in preseason? Worth it.

Secret agent Gasperini:"Inter are getting a competitive squad this year, they are signing key players, unlike last year when they were signing extras. Now I see Pazzini, one of the main sources of my unhappiness, out of the squad. "

See guys, I don't trust Pazzini...something is rotten in Denmark.

And It's not Poulsen.

When he comes, if he comes, he's going to prove you wrong, Yurt. Just like Borriello, who was is shit, he'll score the clutch goals when we need him. :p

I don't think Spurs have bid for Cesar, have they?

Anyhow apparently Lloris will not play for Lyon tmrw so that could still be on.

If Spurs end up signing: Lloris/Cesar-Vertonghen-Gylfi-Adebayor...that's a pretty great set of signings across the board. Looks like Modric is staying too.

LegoArmo

Modric must feel a bit shit that Madrid and Chelsea both seem to think he's not worth as much as Spurs want. That's Real Madrid and Chelsea. Not exactly stingy clubs.

Modric must feel a bit shit that Madrid and Chelsea both seem to think he's not worth as much as Spurs want. That's Real Madrid and Chelsea. Not exactly stingy clubs.

I think those clubs just feels that the price Tottenham are demanding could be used to find players who offer the same as Modric, but with more goals and assists. Also, neither club had huge holes that would be filled with Modric.

Or maybe he feels like shit cause Levy is putting a value on him that is too high even after promising he could leave. Maybe Levy should just have accepted Chelseas big bid last season, there's no real need for Chelsea or Madrid to meet the price that is put on him right now (and lets face it, Chelsea are not going for him anymore).

Spurs want way too much for Modric.

Thing is they don't care, if he stays they're not even mad. Unless he starts playing shit...which I actually think could start to happen soon. He is not at all interested in playing for Spurs right now and I don't know if AVB can make him want to. Happened last year but he probably though he would get out this summer. He's gonna be pissed as hell now.

Scum

I don't think Spurs have bid for Cesar, have they?

Anyhow apparently Lloris will not play for Lyon tmrw so that could still be on.

If Spurs end up signing: Lloris/Cesar-Vertonghen-Gylfi-Adebayor...that's a pretty great set of signings across the board. Looks like Modric is staying too.
Just need to send Jenas on his way.

GQman2121

Banned

If you read the blogs, Spurs are also apparently having him train apart from the rest of the squad. Ouch.

Or maybe he feels like shit cause Levy is putting a value on him that is too high even after promising he could leave. Maybe Levy should just have accepted Chelseas big bid last season, there's no real need for Chelsea or Madrid to meet the price that is put on him right now.

Yep. That was good offer. £32m was it?

It was his own damn fault for signing a 6 year contract.

That was stupid, but if he and other ex spurs players are to be believed (and even Redknapp), he signed that under the promise he would be sold when a big team came looking for him. N'Doye did the same here in Copenhagen, got decent pay rise and signed a few more years so he could be sold for more, a win for the club and him.

Now Levy is just trying to get as much as possible for him, which could end up backfiring and having him run around being pissed off and not really giving everything when he plays.

elsk

Banned
That was stupid, but if he and other ex spurs players are to be believed (and even Redknapp), he signed that under the promise he would be sold when a big team came looking for him. N'Doye did the same here in Copenhagen, got decent pay rise and signed a few more years so he could be sold for more, a win for the club and him.

Now Levy is just trying to get as much as possible for him, which could end up backfiring and having him run around being pissed off and not really giving everything when he plays.

Buy Bengtson then.

sneaky77

Why wouldn't he? He is not running a charity, Madrid have overpaid more for shittier players.

Why wouldn't he? He is not running a charity, Madrid have overpaid more for shittier players.

He should of course try and get as much as possible. But if it ends up backfiring and Modric ends up not being sold... Well... Then he will end up looking stupid and have a really pissed off player that he promised could leave.

dc89

From pics that make you laugh thread.

vMpZw.gif

dc89

When you're as rich as City you don't need to make logical decisions.

Adebayor's wages are just stupid at City. And it's the wages which matter more than the transfer fee (imo) so I think you are right here Clegg. City haven't had to sell because they have no money to buy, it's been the bloody wages of Adebayor, RSC & Bridge.

Clegg

I've been convinced that selling Adebayor won't do anything for their hopes to sign RVP. City still have too many strikers. Either Dxeko or Tevez will have to leave for them to sign RVP.

Adebayor leaving would free up wages for a big signing in a different position though. Agger maybe?

sohois

I'm not sure keeping hold of Modric will work out well for Tottenham this time. From the sounds of it Levy gave him another reassurance last year that he would be sold this season (on top of the supposed reassurance when he signed) so he would be prepared to try for another season, this year he will be much less inclined.

Furthermore, last season was under a manger who he had worked with for several years, one who is oft described as a good man-manager, whereas now he is under a new manager who is mostly known for poor man-management. So perhaps he was more willing to continue working hard under Redknapp.

Sky: Sampdoria's 22 year old regista (i.e. deep-lying playmaker) Andrea Poli has been signed by Juventus in a co-ownership deal.

Not sure if true but I hope so.

Andrea played a stand-out game against Genoa last season. Here is a video of his performance.

I think this is an investment in our future, to make sure that we'll have somebody when San Andrea Pirlo di Brescia retires or decides to go to the MLS. We've been linked with Poli before he went on loan to Inter with the option to buy, and they didn't take him up despite having a pretty decent season for a team that was struggling. I know a lot of Juventini who were upset with Marotta for letting him slip away when what we all wanted last year was an heir to Pirlo's throne. Young registas are currently at a premium with only 3-4 in the Pirlo mould. Even though we missed out on Verratti, we now have many of the more promising players who can play a similar role in Poli, Bouy, Appelt, and, to a lesser extent, Pogba and Marrone.

We probably got him cheap, as well. Marotta being the former director at Sampdoria still has some connections there, Inter didn't want him anymore so we had no real competition to swoop him up, and Sampdoria is in need of money.

I think we can easily say we're building one of the best midfields in Europe, and if true Marotta has so far had an incredibly transfer campaign. If he sells Martinez off and signs the striker we've been craving then it might truly be one of our best summer mercatos in the past decade.

Clegg

The IPO has been a "success" as the Glazers have made their money.

But there has been absolutely no movement in the share price. The underwriters held that price at $14 for today. When they stop underwriting the shares, expect the price to fall.

scently

If Adebayor is going then I reckon City will put in a mega bid for RVP.

Shit.

By the Gods, because of your unnecessary antics I genuinely do hope that we don't get RVP. Not that I wanted us to get him in the first place. I would rather spend said 20-25m on a much younger player and one who is not so injury prone.

And wtf is all this about united not having money to spend, yet we spent 30m on berba and last summer we spent some 50m on players and we actually have money to spend this window only that our deals have been high jacked by other clubs. And don't give me the "we can't compete financially" bullshit. Do you really think that we can win a bidding war with PSG or Chelsea?, hell I wouldn't even want us to spend 35-40m on a young 19 yr old as much as I would have liked him to come to us.

And seriously stop the bullshit with the Glazers. Do I like that the club is indebted? hell no. Do I want them out? hell yeah, but seriously given the amount of money we have spent on transfers since their arrival I can't see how they have significantly limited the club. I personally believe that most of the deals we have missed out on are as a result of other issues like what Fergie might think a player is worth, etc. If you guys genuinely think that these guys (the Glazers) really want to ruin the club then you guys are clueless. To the its a business, and one that actually gives profit. The point of most business is to make profit. So tell me why they would want to destroy such lucrative biz.

Like I said, given the choice I would have them gone in a heat beat but the haven't really harmed the club. Actually the seem to have been doing the opposite.

Clegg

By the Gods, because of your unnecessary antics I genuinely do hope that we don't get RVP. Not that I wanted us to get him in the first place. I would rather spend said 20-25m on a much younger player and one who is not so injury prone.

And wtf is all this about united not having money to spend, yet we spent 30m on berba and last summer we spent some 50m on players and we actually have money to spend this window only that our deals have been high jacked by other clubs. And don't give me the "we can't compete financially" bullshit. Do you really think that we can win a bidding war with PSG or Chelsea?, hell I wouldn't even want us to spend 35-40m on a young 19 yr old as much as I would have liked him to come to us.

And seriously stop the bullshit with the Glazers. Do I like that the club is indebted? hell no. Do I want them out? hell yeah, but seriously given the amount of money we have spent on transfers since their arrival I can't see how they have significantly limited the club. I personally believe that most of the deals we have missed out on are as a result of other issues like what Fergie might think a player is worth, etc. If you guys genuinely think that these guys (the Glazers) really want to ruin the club then you guys are clueless. To the its a business, and one that actually gives profit. The point of most business is to make profit. So tell me why they would want to destroy such lucrative biz.

Like I said, given the choice I would have them gone in a heat beat but the haven't really harmed the club. Actually the seem to have been doing the opposite.

Absolute horseshit.

They have harmed the club. We can no longer compete with the big clubs for transfers because we have to waste so much in interest payments. £40m was spent last year alone, just on interest payments. That money could have been used to sign players, improve contracts etc etc.The Glazers are a cancer.

Yes we spent £50m last season but the wages for Jones and De Gea wouldn't even combine to be as high as Rooneys. This is where we're screwed. We can't compete with the likes of Chelsea, PSG etc. And if we could, SAF would have no problem in splashing the cash. He had no problems with it when we were breaking transfer records for Veron, Rio, Rooney etc.

Do I think we could win in a bidding war between oil rich clubs? Probably not but we could offer much better terms if we weren't so far in debt.

Have I overreacted in this RVP saga? Yes. Does anyone care? I don't think so. If anyone is sick of it then I'll reign in my muppetry.

United are £350m in debt and none of it is through the clubs making. The Glazers have done nothing but harm the club since day one. Our revenue streams have increased only due to the Glazers needing to find ways to pay off the debt they loaded onto the club. Look at the stunt they pulled with the IPO. They don't give 2 shits about Manchester United. If they did then all of the proceeds would have gone to buy back the debts.

Manchester United is a cashcow. Its there for the Glazers to bleed dry. We've only stayed at the top for so long because our manager is so good at his job.

I wouldn't piss on a Glazer if he were on fire.

Bouy is a CM?

He's played as a CM for our primavera (youth squad) and has been talking about how he wants to emulate Pirlo's qualities. He's not strictly a Pirlo-substitute yet but we've been eager to exploit his excellent passing in that position. I think we're throwing a bunch of players at that position and seeing who sticks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom