• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

It's not smart business because they won't accept. Just like when they bid £10 million for Van Persie, who's also refusing to resign for his current club.

All that will do is antagonise Bilbao.

Almost every club bids lower than what the selling club is looking for. Then they start negotiating a more realistic price.

And then there is always the possibility that the selling club might just accept the original bid. Its worth a punt.

Zabojnik

It's not smart business because they won't accept. Just like when they bid £10 million for Van Persie, who's also refusing to resign for his current club.

Should we just bend over and bid £25M from the get-go? He's not worth it, even if he wasn't on the last year of his contract, which he is. Bilbao is already antagonized. By Llorente himself. We're just following his lead. Assuming any of this is actually true, of course.

Arnie

Should we just bend over and bid £25M from the get-go? He's not worth it, even if he wasn't on the last year of his contract, which he is. Bilbao is already antagonized. By Llorente himself. We're just following his lead. If any of this is actually true, of course.

No, but there's a huge gulf between the two evaluations. £12.5 million for Llorente is a joke, not a serious bid, no matter what his contract situation. Start at £15 million and slowly work up to £20 million, which is what will eventually happen. The longer you piss about with ridiculous low ball bids the worse it is for you because the later you'll have to wait to bring him into the squad.

And he's worth whatever money you settle on, he's class.

I think that's a pretty fair opening bid for Llorente given his contract situation. He's not going to be worth more than £20m with only a year left to run on his deal.

Zabojnik

No, but there's a huge gulf between the two evaluations. £12.5 million for Llorente is a joke, not a serious bid, no matter what his contract situation. Start at £15 million and slowly work up to £20 million, which is what will eventually happen. The longer you piss about with ridiculous low ball bids the worse it is for you because the later you'll have to wait to bring him into the squad.

And he's worth whatever money you settle on, he's class.

I think that's a pretty fair opening bid for Llorente given his contract situation. He's not going to be worth more than £20m with only a year left to run on his deal.

Some sources are saying we offered £14M. Seem like a reasonable starting bid to me. You guys all seem to rate Llorente. I'll admit I've only seen him play a couple of times in EL and wasn't overly impressed. Hope you're right.

Linius

Yeah, just like last year right

They fucked up? I can't really remember, last thing I remember was celebrating the title.

I do remember Feyenoord choking against RKC at home. Lolzer Guidetti getting his second yellow for celebrating without a shirt :lol

Arnie

Some sources are saying we offered £14M. Seem like a reasonable starting bid to me. You guys all seem to rate Llorente. I'll admit I've only seen him play a couple of times in EL and wasn't overly impressed. Hope you're right.

£14 million is getting there for an opening bid, better to start closer to what everyone knows he'll go for. Otherwise it's RVP round two and we're already well into August.

Wes

venison crêpe
What do you think will be Lamberts first choice back 4?

Vlaar and Clark as the two centre backs I am really looking forward to seeing.

Full backs are still in transition. I think Lichaj and Lowton wil be competing for the Right Back spot and Warnock will be replaced by whichever LB we're going to bring in (and judging by Warnock being dropped for this friendly I bet he's out soon).

The worry is Given. Ever since the Euros he's been rather shaky. We need him to get some confidence back.

The defence will be very young but it's going to be a good building block for the Lambert era.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Guys, It's a goal.com exclusive.

pinch-salt.jpg

I'm warming up to Dzeko. C'mon Edin, tweet something black and white! Throw us a bone here!

Kyoufu

Lol no what will happen is Atletico will say "You can pay us more since you can afford it" so the price will go up a bit, but not a lot. It's smart business.

GorillaJu

Luisao acted like a JT when we played them a couple of years ago. Think Babel got sent off for squaring up to him after he hacked Torres down

And Bent would be our top scorer by a distance if he signed for us

Call me crazy but if Gerrard stays fit I think there's a chance he could be our top scorer. It was just Gomel, and only one goal, but he was up and around the box for the full 90 mins and put in a real classic Stevie performance. Would be great to see 07/08 or 08/09 Stevie G. netting 12+ goals/assists.

GorillaJu

Clegg said:
He has refused to sign a new contract with Atletico.

Smart business by Juventus.

Lol no what will happen is Atletico will say "You can pay us more since you can afford it" so the price will go up a bit, but not a lot. It's smart business.

Well Juventus is going to be severely disappointed when they get a big fat fucking "?" in response to submitting bids to Atletico for Llorente.

Arnie

You make it sound like he'll be sold for under £15 million, which he just won't.

People need to learn from the RVP saga.

elsk

Banned
You guys don't really get that Athletic can't replace Llorente even if Juve pays 30m? Sure, they can invest that money in their academy but that's it, they would end up without a main striker.

Kyoufu

Well Juventus is going to be severely disappointed when they get a big fat fucking "?" in response to submitting bids to Atletico for Llorente.

You make it sound like he'll be sold for under £15 million, which he just won't.

People need to learn from the RVP saga.

Llorente and RVP aren't the same thing. Arsenal don't want to sell to their rival (yet they've already accepted Juve's offer) while Juve and Bilbao are not even playing in the same league. There is no reason why Juve would go balls deep with a big fat cheque. IMO at least.

Agree with Kyoufu. I don't know what Bilbao will sell for but I don't think its a problem bidding low early on and I don't think the RVP example is the norm.

I don't see why clubs will get annoyed at low starting bids and then turn around and say "aahh now we're mad, give us more". It's just business, all clubs do it.

It's true it will mean they don't get him soon, but I guess they're okay with that.

Holy shit I didn't even know Suarez pulled Rafaels hair there.

Just another example of little Luis being a dickhead I guess.

What a petty thing to do, seriously, pulling someones hair? Would have more respect if he just bit him.

Clegg

TBH I'd rather United went after Llorente.

Hes younger and doesn't have an injuey record as bad as RVP. He'd also add an aerial threat that we seem to lack.

sneaky77

You guys don't really get that Athletic can't replace Llorente even if Juve pays 30m? Sure, they can invest that money in their academy but that's it, they would end up without a main striker.

Well we got Aduriz from Valencia and one of our young ones recovered in Isma Lopez, but yeah Llorente is not an easy replaceable player.
As far as I know from the Bilbao press, we are not negotiating yet, so if they come with the 36m I guess he's gone, but I don't see it going far lower than that, or hope not, either way Llorente is not really handling it well.. I find it hard to believe than 1yr of negotiations there still no way to reach some common ground.. but whatever, he should just come out and say in press conference he wants to leave, and then the club will negotiate I am sure.
We are offering 4.5m a yr after taxes guess he wants at least 5.5 from what is been said.

Kyoufu

TBH I'd rather United went after Llorente.

Hes younger and doesn't have an injuey record as bad as RVP. He'd also add an aerial threat that we seem to lack.

I'll tell you who I'd loooooove to have playing for my team. Someone you should go balls deep in for:

Higuain.

GorillaJu

Holy shit I didn't even know Suarez pulled Rafaels hair there.

Just another example of little Luis being a dickhead I guess.

What a petty thing to do, seriously, pulling someones hair? Would have more respect if he just bit him.

Such an incredibly petulant thing to do. I don't understand how he can behave like that when he's married and has a kid. Does he think his wife just doesn't watch him on TV? She comes to the games often enough... It's embarrassing.

Rodgers will have a real job on his hands in getting Suarez to grow the F up.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom