• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Scum

Where's Rio? The worst you can say about him is that he is one of the top 3 defenders in the world.
1081oh-you.jpg

Arnie

Back to where?

4th place?

You say that in a derogatory tone but that's a much tougher place to reach now than it was five years ago. Spurs and City becoming genuinely top teams has changed the equation big time; and then I look at the story that AVB's going to start with Harry Kane and I don't know how they do it.

How does any of that indicate Liverpool are back?
Well, Sahin's a top four calibre player. I'm sure that's what he meant.

K1LLER7

If both things really happen, it'll be an indication that LFC are back. At least the spine of the club.
Think you'll be fighting for 4th even if you don't get Sahin but IMO Spurs will be strong this season and have a good squad, all they need is a striker. Could see them finishing ahead of both Liverpool and Arsenal.

Clegg

You say that in a derogatory tone but that's a much tougher place to reach now than it was five years ago. Spurs and City becoming genuinely top teams has changed the equation big time; and then I look at the story that AVB's going to start with Harry Kane and I don't know how they do it.

Tbh I can see Spurs struggling this season. New central defender, player that doesn't want to be there and no new striker. The striker problem can be solved if/when they get Adebayor tho.

Liverpool should be fine this season. You have two solid signings in Allen and Borini and then the possibility of Sahin on loan. I think Top 4 might be a bridge to far though.

Arnie

"LFC are back" still has a ripe comic air to it, though. I feel like GAF should auto-correct it to Wingdings.

Walk into the wrong pub and you'll probably see a faded 'LFC are back' sticker from 1994, completely decimated at one corner.

But I know what Fry meant; for too long we've felt adrift, ever since Alonso's left. We can beat the top teams (apart from Spurs), but we can't string a coherent season together.

Scum

Think you'll be fighting for 4th even if you don't get Sahin but IMO Spurs will be strong this season and have a good squad, all they need is a striker. Could see them finishing ahead of both Liverpool and Arsenal.

I don't know about this. Every season, for the last 3 seasons, most of us have said that Arsenal will fail to make Top 4...
...and every blasted year, they do!

I'm saying nothing. To hell with FootieGAF Reserse, I say!

OT(4-4-fucking-)2| The Madness Begins

edit: Managed to supress my hopes this season. Begin of 09/10 I thought we'd win the title, thought we'd be around 6th at the end of 10/11, and thought we'd make a strong challenge for fourth last season.

Fuck it, I'll be satisfied with 6th and a good standard of play, as long as we're not hugely adrift. If we came sixth, we'd probably lose one or more of Suarez, Reina, Lucas and Skrtel, but it would still be progress

Newcastle won't finish above Liverpool.

People are underestimating Liverpool and over rating Newcastle on the back of last season, I think.

Don't get me wrong I still think Liverpool are quite a way from being "back", but they'll have a promising season I think.

I know it was only Gomel, but I'm a lot more excited after that home performance. It was just 'vibrant,' and bodes well for our attacking play. Until two of those front 3 get injured. Then we're screwed

Reckon Newcastle will finish above Liverpool. Think they'll make 6th.

Agreed. I think Arsenal will edge Chelsea and stay top three. Hazard and Oscar are talented, sure, but it's easy to forget how troubled the spine of that team was last season. Not fully convinced of their direction in spite of the CL win.

PaulLFC

As good as Newcastle were, I don't think they'll finish above us next season.

I still think we need one or two more signings, Sahin would be perfect, but it's a very big if if we can get him. If we do:
Code:
          Reina
Johnson Skrtel Agger Enrique
           Lucas
        Allen Sahin
  Gerrard Suarez Borini

Would be a good contender for a top 4 team, I think. Strong in all positions.

PaulLFC

Yes, I find Gerrard to have very similar qualities to Sinclair and Dyer.
A few points:

1. We aren't playing with traditional hug-the-touchline wingers. They're inside forwards and it's a fluid formation where the players have licence to roam.
2. I was at the match on Thursday, we saw lots of interchange of movement, lots of short passes, and a move away from "get it to the wing, cross it in" play. This suits Gerrard, and he was one of the main players breaking forward and linking with the attacking play, which he'll be able to do well from that position.
3. Gerrard's played on the right for us before. Not that he'll be a winger in the traditional sense, but that's why the "Gerrard on the right lololololol" comment makes no sense, for starters.

But no, by all means go ahead and criticise without thinking it through properly :)

Gerrards not a winger but he is a really good wide midfielder. He had one of his best ever seasons playing there.

He doesn't do very well in a midfield two, so if he's not off the front man, RM is a better about than CM.

Anyhow, if Liverpool did go 433 with those 3 up front, I think they'll still struggle with width.

Messi

I feel like fifa 12 is trolling me. I started a season as Arsenal, and early on in the season Downing was the top scorer. Come the end of the season I have 23 goals with RVP and downing wins the top scorer spot with 34. Into the second season and downing is a good 8 goals ahead of everyone.

Also in my home game vs liverpool... he scored, and I faceplamed.

Is fifa trolling me?

Arnie

Anyone criticising Paul's suggestion there is clearly unaware of how Rodgers wants us to play. I'm watching the Gomel game literally right now (doing some research for something before the Leverkusen game tomorrow), and having Gerrard on the right of the attacking four is virtually the same as having him behind Suarez, and it's certainly not playing him as a winger. The attacking four are all fluid, they all look to make runs in and around the box, and it's our wing backs who're asked to do the traditional 'winger' work. Enrique's already remarked on how he's enjoying training with the attackers rather than the defenders.

Question to those who've seen Sahin play, can he function in a, I hate to say it, 'CAM' role? Behind the striker, the forward most player in a midfield three?

A few points:

1. We aren't playing with traditional hug-the-touchline wingers. They're inside forwards and it's a fluid formation where the players have licence to roam.
2. I was at the match on Thursday, we saw lots of interchange of movement, lots of short passes, and a move away from "get it to the wing, cross it in" play. This suits Gerrard, and he was one of the main players breaking forward and linking with the attacking play, which he'll be able to do well from that position.
3. Gerrard's played on the right for us before. Not that he'll be a winger in the traditional sense, but that's why the "Gerrard on the right lololololol" comment makes no sense, for starters.

But no, by all means go ahead and criticise without thinking it through properly :)

I accept that that's how you're playing and I'm telling you that's not how Rodgers's teams commonly play. I say this having watched both his Reading and Swansea sides. Carry on though.

I also question, on a tactical basis, whether Liverpool as a team has the collective technical skill to play such a narrow game (if this is how they will continue to set up). There are few teams on this planet that can play without having their attackers commonly occupy the wings as an outlet.

Salazar

Question to those who've seen Sahin play, can he function in a, I hate to say it, 'CAM' role? Behind the striker, the forward most player in a midfield three?

Everyone seems to say that he is the opposite of Kagawa in this respect. Better deep.

That said, Kagawa's ability to play a calm pass under pressure deep in our half is so good to see.

A few points:

Taking that all into account I don't think it's a great idea for Liverpool to set out that way. I don't think Gerrard and Borini are good enough inside forwards really. You need real high calibre players in those positions with a specific skill set to be really effective. I think defences could deal with them pretty easily.

It is an interesting way to set out for sure, I just think Liverpool would need better players there to be really effective playing that way. Suarez would be one, I don't know if Borini can lead the line though. I thought he would play as the central striker mostly but I might be wrong there.

Anyone criticising Paul's suggestion there is clearly unaware of how Rodgers wants us to play. I'm watching the Gomel game literally right now (doing some research for something before the Leverkusen game tomorrow), and having Gerrard on the right of the attacking four is virtually the same as having him behind Suarez, and it's certainly not playing him as a winger. The attacking four are all fluid, they all look to make runs in and around the box, and it's our wing backs who're asked to do the traditional 'winger' work. Enrique's already remarked on how he's enjoying training with the attackers rather than the defenders.

Much better from deep. Would be surprised if Liverpool got him really, would have thought he'd be best in the position Allen plays in. I think he could be that 3rd midfielder too but his best position would be conducting play from deeper...which I think is what Rodgers wants Allen to do.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom