• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Regulus Tera

Romanes Eunt Domus
Regulus and verano must be freaking happy right now.
eYUjt.png

REPOST:

I don't care it's the only gold we win at these Olympics, this was huge. The biggest accomplishment Mexico's football has ever achieved. These guys went through a lot in order to get here. So much criticism after that awful Copa América performance by pundits who didn't understand the disadvantage they had been forced to play with.

I'm so proud of these guys. Mier, Aquino, Fabián, Herrera, Reyes, and Chatón are surely gonna leave for Europe soon. Corona and Oribe could still play in one of the top leagues, but I doubt they will be called considering their age. More importantly, this makes everyone so hopeful for the future: this is the base of the team that will play in Russia 2018. Add to them the guys who just won the last u-17 World Cup and a few of the guys like Guardado and Chicharito who will be veterans in 2022... I'm so ecstatic for what will come.

This is a country that has gone through so much bloodshed these past six years. You have no idea how much this means for us. A gold, against Brazil, in Wembley, in the sport we all love. So big.

As for the cherry on the cake, Mexico also won bronze in Tae Kwon Do today! We've surpassed Sydney as our best olympic showing outside of home soil on the medal count. Too bad we couldn't secure a second gold to overcome it in the ranking. Still, certainly a lot better than the two/three medals people foresaw before the competition began.

Always thought it was weird these goals weren't scored more often when the keeper goes up.

iyTaLu5N5oSYx.gif

Damn it feels good just to have a little big of European success again.

elsk

Banned
Huh. Well there you go.

Restructured Bayern? He came with his own staff (trainers, assist coach and so) but that was it, don't know what are they talking about.
van Gaal would've promoted all the reserves guys you saw in the pre-season, btw.

And I think he would sell Luis Suárez.

Salvadora

Sahin and Moutinho.

Fuck dealing with Levy over Modders. That's just a sad situation for all parties.

Yeah I don't see Levy changing his stance one bit & I can't see anyone offering what they are asking, Or even anywhere close. Ferguson is a big admirer iirc so I reckon he would've made a move if he'd been available for a lower price. Lack of interest in Sahin/Moutinho is baffling to be honest.

ShogunX

Sahin and Moutinho. Llorente to fuck with Juve.

Fuck dealing with Levy over Modders. That's just a sad situation for all parties.

Vida
is back. Shinji is your new god.

Are these the actual nicknames of the players being mentioned or have you made these up yourself?

GorillaJu

"Brendan was always our first choice". Was he bollocks.

I've binned Miguel Delaney as a twitter source. He says we're only focused on RVP now. No other targets.

Not what I want to hear.

Van Gaal's proposed position was director of football, not manager. Don't you think Rodgers is the British manager that he referenced?

Honestly either way you shouldn't be surprised when all parties go with a story that makes them come out sounding best. Van Gaal says he didn't want to work with a manager under him and Rodgers says he didn't want to work with a DOF over him. It was going to be one or the other and they went with their first choice.

jtb

Banned
Moutinho is overrated/overpriced, imo; it's baffling how he can have a price tag of 24-30m while Meierles is being tossed around as a poor-man's Modric (last summer), potential makeweight for a Cavani deal. They're both such similar players and were both quite good at the Euros. All around, jack-of-all trades (can tackle, pass, cross, shoot from long range, run with the ball from deep, etc.), master-of-none type player. If he really is out of favor at Chelsea (I can't imagine why... the Chelsea central midfield is looking weaker and weaker), then that would be a great bargain buy for any team looking to fill a gaping hole in their midfield.

Salazar

And, with pre-season over, I bid farewell to Paddy fucking Crerand.

Shinji was good, Clev was good. Carrick at CB was a clear problem at times. Michael Keane isn't legitimate cover. Young might actually start the season well.

BPRdR.jpg

Wilbur

Banned
What time is the Community Shield? I got smashed off my arse last night and I've forgotten all information.

I also had a rehydration sachet and they taste like a cow's udder

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Usain Bolt: “I don’t know if Sir Alex Ferguson will offer me a trial or not.

But even if it doesn’t happen I would like to come and help coach the attacking players at United like I did with Ronaldo.

Anything I can do to make sure the title does not end up with Manchester City again.

United have so many players with pace that if they all perfect their sprinting technique it will be impossible to play against them.”

GET HIM!
His height? Yurt is doomed. :(

Let's hope not :p

bjaelke

What time is the Community Shield? I got smashed off my arse last night and I've forgotten all information.

I also had a rehydration sachet and they taste like a cow's udder

It's in 4 hours (3:30 pm).

Guess it's been moved to avoid clashes with the Olympic events.

Salazar

Yeah thought so, not really an alternative to Moutinho then. Spurs are already well covered there with Sando and Parker, seems an odd fit.

AVB is trying to cover against an injury crisis.

We all know that choking is the real problem, but it's getting late for mental courage building exercises and role-playing activities.

dc89

I'll be a bit pissed if City pass up even bidding for M'Vila. Seems to be the perfect De Jong replacement and he's younger too.

dc89

David Silva "Chelsea will notice Drogba's absence because he was important for them... now is the moment of truth for Torres."

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom