• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

elsk

Banned
Anyone criticising Paul's suggestion there is clearly unaware of how Rodgers wants us to play. I'm watching the Gomel game literally right now (doing some research for something before the Leverkusen game tomorrow), and having Gerrard on the right of the attacking four is virtually the same as having him behind Suarez, and it's certainly not playing him as a winger. The attacking four are all fluid, they all look to make runs in and around the box, and it's our wing backs who're asked to do the traditional 'winger' work. Enrique's already remarked on how he's enjoying training with the attackers rather than the defenders.

Question to those who've seen Sahin play, can he function in a, I hate to say it, 'CAM' role? Behind the striker, the forward most player in a midfield three?

He's a deep-lying playmaker (CM).

Arnie

Much better from deep. Would be surprised if Liverpool got him really, would have thought he'd be best in the position Allen plays in. I think he could be that 3rd midfielder too but his best position would be conducting play from deeper...which I think is what Rodgers wants Allen to do.

As I thought.

Assuming we can do the swap for Dempsey with Adam, and hopefully send Spearing out somewhere (although I have my doubts about that), that would leave Allen, Henderson, Sahin, and Lucas occupying those two more reserved midfield positions. With Gerrard and Shelvey playing behind the striker.

I reckon Allen can push forward if Gerrard and Shelvey are absent, he's a great dribbler and we've seen he can pick a pass and place a shot, but I don't think Henderson, Lucas, or Sahin could fill that void.

Probably won't get Sahin anyway, doubt he'll want to come, but planning in case he does. At least we know we're actually, physically, properly after him; as in Rodgers has most probably utilised Mourinho's phone number in his contact book.

He's a deep-lying playmaker (CM).

Thanks

And lastly, on Tello, I've seen him put in numerous poor performances like the rest of you, and I'm dubious of the signing. Saying that, Pep Guardiola saw real promise in him last season, and let's be honest, if Pep Guardiola can coach him and think he's good enough, he's probably better than we realise he is.

PaulLFC

I accept that that's how you're playing and I'm telling you that's not how Rodgers's teams commonly play. I say this having watched both his Reading and Swansea sides. Carry on though.

I also question, on a tactical basis, whether Liverpool as a team has the collective technical skill to play such a narrow game (if this is how they will continue to set up). There are few teams on this planet that can play without having their attackers commonly occupy the wings as an outlet.
Should have made it clear I was talking specifically about us under Rodgers, and how it seems he wants us to play.

Taking that all into account I don't think it's a great idea for Liverpool to set out that way. I don't think Gerrard and Borini are good enough inside forwards really. You need real high calibre players in those positions with a specific skill set to be really effective. I think defences could deal with them pretty easily.

It is an interesting way to set out for sure, I just think Liverpool would need better players there to be really effective playing that way. Suarez would be one, I don't know if Borini can lead the line though. I thought he would play as the central striker mostly but I might be wrong there.
Yeah, it'll be interesting to see whether we bring in another player to take up one of the front left/right positions. Borini played inside left quite a bit for Roma I think, did well there too. Although he may be a better candidate for the middle of the front three with Suarez on the wing where he can cut inside - he was doing this a quite a bit on Thursday.

As Arnie said though, the front 3 and the player directly behind them all interchange and link up, they're constantly moving into and making themselves available. I think Gerrard could do quite well in that system, because he'll spend quite a lot of time in central positions as well as being in wider positions at some points. So far it all appears to be space-related, and none of the front four have specific positions they maintain for the entire 90 minutes.

Fry

No offense but I think he (Sahin) would prefer to join Arsenal because they're playing CL.

Yeah :/ Unless Arsenal are making M'Villa first priority. Let's see which club he'll join, if any.

Sahin would be a massive upgrade on Xarlie Adam it's not even funny.

elsk

Banned
Yeah :/ Unless Arsenal are making M'Villa first priority. Let's see which club he'll join, if any.

Sahin would be a massive upgrade on Xarlie Adam it's not even funny.

M'Villa and Sahin are completely different players. Like saying Luiz Gustavo and Schweinsteiger. DM and CM.

Fry

What english teams were ever linked to him?

I can only think of Arsenal and Tottenham.

Sandro out, M'Vila in it is.
*aimed at Ushojax*

I don't think there's any doubt M'Vila is and has been very close to a move to England for a long time now.

I just don't get why it hasn't happened. If he has a concrete offer, what's the hold up. It's making me think M'Vila himself might be holding out for something else.

Arnie

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it were Chelsea you know. Could well be Arsenal, but we did hear of Wenger souring towards M'Vila after his behaviour at the Euros, and it's clear he wants Sahin, who's a different player but one that takes up a slot in his midfield.

Chelsea have Essien, who's done, and Mikel, who isn't good enough. M'Vila would fit in perfectly, take pressure off that creaky defence, and allow RDM's team to play attractive football, his modus operandi prior to Brighton-gate.

Anyway, I need to go sleep because my brain's fried. Big day of football tomorrow, including and concluding with big Sami's Anfield return.

I don't think there's any doubt M'Vila is and has been very close to a move to England for a long time now.

I just don't get why it hasn't happened. If he has a concrete offer, what's the hold up. It's making me think M'Vila himself might be holding out for something else.

Say what you mean Viva. Let the muppetry flow.

Fintan

M'Vila would make sense if Meireles really is going the other way in a Cavani deal. I don't hold out much hope in Essien ever getting back to his best, and M'Vila seems like he would be an improvement over Mikel, who can be really good but is often not good enough.

Salvadora

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if it were Chelsea you know. Could well be Arsenal, but we did hear of Wenger souring towards M'Vila after his behaviour at the Euros, and it's clear he wants Sahin, who's a different player but one that takes up a slot in his midfield.

Chelsea have Essien, who's done, and Mikel, who isn't good enough. M'Vila would fit in perfectly, take pressure off that creaky defence, and allow RDM's team to play attractive football, his modus operandi prior to Brighton-gate.

I'm thinking its not us.Wenger this a couple of weeks back..
"No [I am not interested]. We wait on Diaby and Wilshere," Wenger told the club's official website. "When you look we have Song, Ramsey, Coquelin, Wilshere, Arteta and Diaby.

"In defensive midfielders and box-to-box players we are not short if they are all coming back. If we have setbacks in pre-season it could be different."
But he could be talking shit to throw other clubs off or whatever.

Arnie

Surely Chelsea should be buying another striker rather than another midfielder.

I don't think you can judge Chelsea's transfers like that, considering they've bought Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Marin, and likely Moses in the space of a year.

They've told Torres he's the main man next year, and he isn't going to sit around on the bench, something that will happen should Chelsea splurge on the mangod Cavani. And besides, Chelsea's defensive midfielders aren't good enough for where they want to be in the league. When they last assaulted the top four properly they had a competent Essien.

Fry

"No [I am not interested]. We wait on Diaby and Wilshere

ibqxASICLsw0n5.gif

Arnie

Reliance on Torres will probably horrendously backfire.

Then they should sell him, because it's ridiculous to have him sat on the bench. They've brought in a player who intended to start football matches, and if anything he's improved since when they actually bought him. Do the right thing and flog him, like Liverpool are trying with Carroll.

Liverpool should propose a swap, actually, because at least they could justify leaving Carroll on the bench because he's a different style striker to Cavani. Torres would be boss in Rodgers' system.

Another thing to note is that Chelsea have pushed themselves into a corner whereby they're almost excluded form playing more than a single striker at a time. It's not like Liverpool where we could have Suarez, Borini, and Torres all on the field at once, conceivably.

elsk

Banned
Possible line-ups from bild.de for Bayern vs. BVB
2.bild.jpg

There was a "rumor" that Ribéry was injured and Shaqiri could replace him, but looks like he's good to go?

Clegg

I'm honestly surprised that Chelsea haven't made a bid for RVP.

They only have Sturridge and Torres as their main strikers now that Drogba is gone.

They haven't had any problems in spending extravagent sums on Hazard and Oscar.

Fry

2.bild.jpg

There was a "rumor" that Ribéry was injured and Shaqiri could replace him, but looks like he's good to go?

Wow, tomorrow will be fucking awesome. Good start to the season with great football matches and Breaking Bad.

Going to bed, bye!

Who knows if they haven't.

Hope not though, with Torres being the exception (Maybe Meireles too) Chelsea are really trying to only sign young players for big money, RVP will have pretty much no resale value in a few years.

MPW

2.bild.jpg

mourinho wasted all summer chasing after modric when he should have got RB of dortmund

arbeloa is average at best and if he is injured madrid is screwed

dortmund winning thanks to a reus goal would be great lol

Chelsea care about resale value?

Since when?

Since Roman suddenly realized how bad it was having this old ass squad on long contracs. Just look at the signing ever since FFP was introduced, so many young players for high prices while Torres is the only over 23 with a high price (maybe Meireles too). Instead it has been players like Mata, Luiz, Romeu, Oscar, Hazard, Marin, Ramires, Kevin De Bruyne, Curtois (who really looks great Atl Madrid for once Cech gets too old) and Lukaku who were all 23 or under, so obviously the management has finally realized you can't just keep on buying players in the last third of their playing career.

and now Azpilicueta (22) and Victor Moses (21) are being rumored to be really close.

qindarka

Banned
I don't think you can judge Chelsea's transfers like that, considering they've bought Mata, Hazard, Oscar, Marin, and likely Moses in the space of a year.

They've told Torres he's the main man next year, and he isn't going to sit around on the bench, something that will happen should Chelsea splurge on the mangod Cavani. And besides, Chelsea's defensive midfielders aren't good enough for where they want to be in the league. When they last assaulted the top four properly they had a competent Essien.

Not true. Essien was already very poor in 2010/2011 when Chelsea finished 2nd and he was out for the entire second half of the season in 2009/2010 when Chelsea won the league.

elsk

Banned
Since Roman suddenly realized how bad it was having this old ass squad on long contracs. Just look at the signing ever since FFP was introduced, so many young players for high prices while Torres is the only over 23 with a high price (maybe Meireles too). Instead it has been players like Mata, Luiz, Romeu, Oscar, Hazard, Marin, Ramires, Kevin De Bruyne, Curtois (who really looks great Atl Madrid for once Cech gets too old) and Lukaku who were all 23 or under, so obviously the management has finally realized you can't just keep on buying players in the last third of their playing career.

and now Azpilicueta (22) and Victor Moses (21) are being rumored to be really close.

Man... are you a Chelsea fan for real? Always thought you were just trolling.

Meier

I just don't understand how someone could cheer on multiple teams especially if they could play each other. Crazy stuff.

I just don't understand how someone could cheer on multiple teams especially if they could play each other. Crazy stuff.

Well it's not like Copenhagen has even ever met Palermo and the few times it has been Chelsea... I have been on the Copenhagen supporter stands obviously and hoped for a miracle, started following Chelsea exactly because they played us when I was a kid, my first time being at a European match. Can't really bother watching a league without a team to follow and with the Danish league being out for like 4 months in the Winter, it would get really boring on the football front.

Copenhagen? I thought you were a FC København fan.

Saying Copenhagen is easier to avoid confusion. :p

MPW

can't wait till the season starts

madrid vs valencia should be a great match

so far madrid have bought no one but sold quite a few players ... wonder if madrid will buy an up and coming star or an established star in the last day of transfer window

Facism

aright chaps i'm doing a messi and posting drunk. Pre-emptively murdering the hangover with Peanut M&Ms and lucozade.

Messi

can't wait till the season starts

madrid vs valencia should be a great match

so far madrid have bought no one but sold quite a few players ... wonder if madrid will buy an up and coming star or an established star in the last day of transfer window

Can't wait either, its gonna be a fun one. I will be tuning in for what I hope will be one of the more exciting games of the season (and hoping for a Valencia win :p , not likely)

aright chaps i'm doing a messi and posting drunk. Pre-emptively murdering the hangover with Peanut M&Ms and lucozade.

How thoughtful of you. I do not remember writing a single one of those posts. I can't even make sense of them.

GorillaJu

New Holland boss Van Gaal also ­revealed how close he came to joining Liverpool this summer before the Reds opted to appoint Brendan Rodgers.

Van Gaal said: “I decided to go and talk to Liverpool, after they had approached me.

"I had serious talks with them and for me it was a good option because I considered Liverpool as a fantastic club.”

But the vastly experienced Dutchman could not agree with Liverpool's American owners about his role.

He demanded his own staff and a special role for former Holland international Danny Blind.

Also, Van Gaal refused to work with a British boss under him, as he wanted to restructure the club the way he had done at Bayern ­Munich and Ajax.

Van Gaal claims he had more than 30 job offers over the past year.

“But I only talked to Liverpool and the Dutch federation,” he said. “To all the others I said no.’’

Huh. Well there you go.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom