• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

GQman2121

Banned
Speaking of Napoli, I'm kind of shocked that Hamsik hasn't been linked with more clubs. Been a fan of him for more than a few years now. What's his contract situation look like?

Carbonox

I don't think his girlfriend will want to move from one thieving city to another.

tumblr_ltskqiI8OP1qh4b62.gif

Superb.

Thank fuck I'm not the only one then, as Arnie said the majority of his films are hugely overrated.

Any time I see a mention of his films, say Inglorious, it's always people salivating over how amazing they supposedly are.

The only film of Tarantino's that I do genuinely love is Pulp Fiction. Reservoir Dogs is another film of his that I don't understand the love for. It's decent, that's it.

Speaking of Napoli, I'm kind of shocked that Hamsik hasn't been linked with more clubs. Been a fan of him for more than a few years now. What's his contract situation look like?

De Laurentiis has him under lock and key. Hamsik recently admitted that he has no intention of leaving Napoli and enjoys being a central figure there.

Still, if the right offer comes along De Laurentiis will sell. He always does. People just end up over paying massively for his players because of the tight leash he keeps on them.

Recently told Cavani he can rot on the bench if he requests an outrageous salary.

GQman2121

Banned
it's QT at his most indulgent; warts and all. he'll never make a movie as perfectly constructed as Pulp Fiction, partly because he's carved out his own niche with the Weinsteins and will basically get a blank check to make whatever movie he wants to make. For better or for worse.

Tarantino is one of my favorite directors working (certainly my favorite screenwriter), and Pulp Fiction is one of my favorite movies ever. but obviously he's very polarizing.

I actually agree with all of this. He's a much, much better writer than he is a director. Bastards and the second Kill Bill are a testament to that.

De Laurentiis has him under lock and key. Hamsik recently admitted that he has no intention of leaving Napoli and enjoys being a central figure there.

Still, if the right offer comes along De Laurentiis will sell. He always does. People just end up over paying massively for his players because of the tight leash he keeps on them.

Recently told Cavani he can rot on the bench if he requests an outrageous salary.

Interesting. I knew De Laurentiis was a hard bargainer (isn't their entire family known for that?), but if the player is settled and is happy, then I'm happy for him I guess.

I think its a pretty big assumption that Cavani would even want to sign for Liverpool whatever the money on the table. Im not actually saying he wouldn't, but if he were available I think its highly likely a team who are in a much better position than Liverpool would likely come in for him.

Arnie

I don't think his girlfriend will want to move from one thieving city to another.
So he wouldn't go to Chelsea, Liverpool, Newcastle, United, City, Preston North End, fucking Barcelona.

Ah ya know what, I don't know why I even responded. Clearly trying to wind me up and it's clearly working.
Ice cold. Frozen, almost. I thought Liverpool was a nice city
It is. Lovely city. Don't let Kyoufu's ignorance put you off.

Zabojnik

Speaking of Cavani. Do we have to root for Uruguay to reach the Olimpic final on the 11th in order to not have him play against us in the Supercoppa, which is also taking place on the 11th? In China, of all places. Or are the semis on the 7th close enough for him not to make it? We'll crush them either way, but I'd rather have Napoli miss him.

I was kind of joking too, guys. I know Liverpool is a fine city. :)

Yen

It is. The vast majority of people who have a negative opinion of the city have never been there.

This.

I think its a pretty big assumption that Cavani would even want to sign for Liverpool whatever the money on the table. Im not actually saying he wouldn't, but if he were available I think its highly likely a team who are in a much better position than Liverpool would likely come in for him.

If Liverpool were the only team in for him, and we offered £35m+ then I'd it's a fair possibility, but a Real, Juve or whoever would easily blow us out of the water.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Zabojnik said:
Speaking of Cavani. Do we have to root for Uruguay to reach the Olimpic final on the 11th in order to not have him play against us in the Supercoppa, which is also taking place on the 11th? In China, of all places. Or are the semis on the 7th close enough for him not to make it? We'll crush them either way, but I'd rather have Napoli miss him.

I WANT him to be there. And I want our new striker, preferably not Pazzini, to score the winner.

The only film of Tarantino's that I do genuinely love is Pulp Fiction. Reservoir Dogs is another film of his that I don't understand the love for. It's decent, that's it.

Mostly because he made it with 1.2M.

Ashes

Banned
Liverpool has sadly some of the most deprived areas in the country. I'm not saying that to be mean, I come from and live aside one of the most deprived parts of the country as well. East London.

TeegsD

So I was thinking last night about possibly upgrading my ps3 80GB to a slim with more memory now that I have PS+. Now today I'm bored at work and on Facebook I see this. Apparently its on sale already for 300 euros but my Google-fu fails me.

Tarantino basically recycles a lot of stuff from exploitation flicks that have long been forgotten, but he seems unable to go beyond simple recollection of said stuff, which would be required of him to make something truly interesting.

The best way to describe the Tarantino stuff would be as 'pastiche' works - something that openly imitates with satirical ends - but that would suggest a side that I just don't see in his films. They are what they are; any higher message is projected onto his work by the the Cannes crowd, critics etc., who see 'pastiche of exploitation flicks', think 'postmodern' and 'satire', then proceed to go nuts.

But there we go... Opinions and assholes etc.

--------------------------------------

Cavani would be fine in Liverpool - he'd just have to live in the Liverpool One and close his eyes on the way to training.

Arnie

Honestly my post wasn't meant to imply he'd come, just that we should bid. I'm of the opinion that he wouldn't move to a team that isn't in the Champions League, but that doesn't mean we should sit back and wait. There's no harm in putting in a good bid and hoping the presence of Suarez every week, plus the club's history is enough to lure him.

To expect him to want to come is naive, but it's certainly not an impossibility.
It was a joke. Jeez.
I guess my sense of humour rises above lazy stereotypes.
Liverpool has sadly some of the most deprived areas in the country. I'm not saying that to be mean, I come from and live aside one of the most deprived parts of the country as well. East London.
Can't think of a single big city in England that doesn't have massively deprived areas, though. It's not like Cavani would buy a house in Toxteth.

kharma45

So I was thinking last night about possibly upgrading my ps3 80GB to a slim with more memory now that I have PS+. Now today I'm bored at work and on Facebook I see this. Apparently its on sale already for 300 euros but my Google-fu fails me.

If your PS3 is still going strong I'd just buy a new HDD for it.

It's not gonna happen, obviously. Still, a man can dream. San Siro ... 84' ... 1-1 ... and then Van Persie pulls something like this out of his magic bag. Inter owned once again. *shivers*

rvp1.gif

Me and Wilbury were there! VP ran over to where we were sitting, was so awesome.

jtb

Banned
Tarantino basically recycles a lot of stuff from exploitation flicks that have long been forgotten, but he seems unable to go beyond simple recollection of said stuff, which would be required of him to make something truly interesting.

The best way to describe the Tarantino stuff would be as 'pastiche' works - something that openly imitates with satirical ends - but that would suggest a side that I just don't see in his films. They are what they are; any higher message is projected onto his work by the the Cannes crowd, critics etc., who see 'pastiche of exploitation flicks', think 'postmodern' and 'satire', then proceed to go nuts.

But there we go... Opinions and assholes etc.

--------------------------------------

Cavani would be fine in Liverpool - he'd just have to live in the Liverpool One and close his eyes on the way to training.

haha wow, I totally disagree on Tarantino. I mean, obviously everything he does is an homage in one way or another to exploitation films, but, in defense of QT, I think the main thing people forget is that all of his movies are about film itself and a kind of deconstruction of the medium. so people going into Inglourious Basterds expecting a WW2 film are going to be sorely disappointed because it's the anti-WW2 film in many regards.

You've got stuff like not showing the heist in Resivoir Dogs, the nonlinearity of Pulp Fiction, a certain end scene in Inglourious Basterds—I've always felt that his writing (and heavy emphasis on dialogue over action) really does show that he understands and is commenting on film, the limits of storytelling, and all that fun stuff. Unlike say, the Artist. Which is just kitsch garbage. Ugh I fucking hate the artist.

(It probably helps that I'm a huge sucker for postmodern anything.)

and yes^. Death Proof is soooo bad.

Zabojnik

This.

If Liverpool were the only team in for him, and we offered £35m+ then I'd it's a fair possibility, but a Real, Juve or whoever would easily blow us out of the water.

With his buddy Suarez there, I'm sure Liverpool would be up there with the other suitors. In fact, if you were to offer £35m+ to De Laurentiis right now, I'm positive he'd bring him to Liverpool personally on his vespa. Also, I don't know about Real Madrid (somehow I don't see them going for Cavani, not flashy enough), but Juventus will never pay 45M€ cash for Cavani. Which I'm sure De Laurentiis would prefer to bargaining chips like Matri or Giovinco. We already tried to fool him. :p Also, his salaray isn't that high, about 2,5M€.

So, yeah, I can totally see Liverpool going for Cavani next year.

PaulLFC

It does have deprived areas yeah, but so does any other city.

Meier

Mancini has wanted him for years. If Napoli lower the price, I am sure City would meet it.

kharma45

If only our fans could have the same class as Berba

iXRmmuYwdzMWP.png

Although I've seen much worse posted, still annoyed me people will have a go at him like this.

Meier

With his buddy Suarez there, I'm sure Liverpool would be up there with the other suitors. In fact, if you were to offer £35m+ to De Laurentiis right now, I'm pretty sure he'd bring him to Liverpool on his vespa. Also, I don't know about Real Madrid (somehow I don't see them going for Cavani, not flashy enough), but Juventus will never pay 45M€ cash for Cavani. Which I'm sure De Laurentiis would prefer to bargaining chips like Matri or Giovinco. We already tried to fool him. :p

So, yeah, I can totally see Liverpool going for Cavani next year.

I'm not sure I believe that to be true. I would think that Mancini would pay €45m for him in a heartbeat. Cavani has as good or better a record as Aguero did when Mancini paid that amount for him and he's wanted him for longer.

Yen

Thing with Tarantino is despite being lauded as a great director, I never watch one of his films and have myself captivated by any particular themes. Yes, they are postmodern, but almost gratingly so. But if this is a complaint, then the problem ultimately lies with me. :/

Liverpool isn't that nice a city. It isnt horrible but its not exactly great. It's just okay and compared to top cities, yeah, it's "rubbish". I've only visited twice and it has some nice quirks and areas and it is going through a lot of development at the moment (which the financial crisis will certainly have slowed down) but its still a pretty small and unspectacular place.

A lot like Manchester. It has a charm, but it's mainly the people not the city itself - sure the city makes the place etc etc but still.

For a football player it must be a strange thing to live in a town like Liverpool or Manchester. Of course you can live there happily but it just doesn't go with the lifestyle people in those positions can afford. I think for me personally, if I had a choice of comparable clubs/money where I was going to live would make a huge difference...I guess it does for players too, you'd have to go above and beyond to convince them to come.

Anyway Kyoufu was just joking so meh. Arnie are you a scouser? I thought you were from Preston?

Clegg

From RedCafe

@Pitacodogringo (alleged Football commentator for TV Globo in Brazil)

Vice president of football João Paulo Jesus Lopes says Lucas Moura has repeated his desire to stay at São Paulo

You got Kagawa.

How about Newcastle United :(

images

Zenit haven't signed anyone yet, either. I'd take anyone at this point, even Arshavin back.

Edit: I've also read that Rubin is trying to buy Demba Ba off you guys. He apparently has a release clause or something.

Lucas Moura's agent says a bid for him was made 2 weeks ago worth €33/£26m.

Hmm I see this one going further, still a lot of people involved talking about it.

£26m. Jeez. We should use it and bid for Sahin.

From RedCafe

Not really buying this. Im sure Lucas isn't desperate to move or anything but if he was adamant he wanted to stay things wouldn't have got so far.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Galliani on Kaka "Certain loves never end. They take immense turns and then they return."

Madrid GAF must be so happy.

-

Newcastle have made a £7 million move for FC Twente defender Douglas. Spurs and Juventus also interested in him.

We're linked with him because why the hell not!

Kyoufu

images

Zenit haven't signed anyone yet, either. I'd take anyone at this point, even Arshavin back.

Edit: I've also read that Rubin is trying to buy Demba Ba off you guys. He apparently has a release clause or something.

Aren't Rubin only 6th in their league? I don't think he'd move there. I'm sure he has had better offers.

Aren't Rubin only 6th in their league? I don't think he'd move there. I'm sure he has had better offers.

The top 6-7 in the Russian League are pretty much interchangeable, its one of the reasons why I like the league. And Rubin's problem for years has been their shitty strikers so if they manage to get someone good they could be really dangerous.

Clegg

Not really buying this. Im sure Lucas isn't desperate to move or anything but if he was adamant he wanted to stay things wouldn't have got so far.
He could have had a change of heart.

TBH signing Lucas would be great but we have more pressing issues than signing a wide attacker.

Like you said, we really should inquire about Sahin.

Zabojnik

If only our fans could have the same class as Berba

Although I've seen much worse posted, still annoyed me people will have a go at him like this.

Yurt, fade, you're both on facebook / twitter, right? Krasic. Melo. Martinez. Iaquinta. You know what to do.

I'm not sure I believe that to be true. I would think that Mancini would pay €45m for him in a heartbeat. Cavani has as good or better a record as Aguero did when Mancini paid that amount for him and he's wanted him for longer.

Well, I'm not saying Cavani to City isn't a possibility. I'm just saying that if Liverpool were to offer 45M€ and double his salary, he'd probably seriously consider it, as I'm sure would De Laurentiis. At Liverpool he'd be reunited with Suarez and guaranteed a spot in the starting XI. Also, Cavani doesn't strike me as a glory / money hunter. Just sayin', bro.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom