• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.
£26m. Jeez. We should use it and bid for Sahin.

Negative

Someone on Redcafe disagrees
This kid, on the other hand appears to be a "project player" - not sdomeone who can neccessarily step into United's midfield and do a job. If that's the case why not persist with Anderson? For me we need an established player who can slot straight in.

Stimpy

For a football player it must be a strange thing to live in a town like Liverpool or Manchester. Of course you can live there happily but it just doesn't go with the lifestyle people in those positions can afford. I think for me personally, if I had a choice of comparable clubs/money where I was going to live would make a huge difference...I guess it does for players too, you'd have to go above and beyond to convince them to come.

Not many of them actually live in the city's though most players living in the Northwest live in Prestbury, Wilmslow and Alderley Edge places like that, even a few Liverpool and Everton players live over there, 50 minute drive to training but I suppose it's a chance to drive around in their Ferrari's and Lamborghini's.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Yurt, fade, you're both on facebook / twitter, right? Krasic. Melo. Martinez. Iaquinta. You know what to do.

Vucinic took Iaquinta's number I think. That's a start!

We tried convincing Inter to keep Pazzini but it backfired.

Meier

Well, I'm not saying Cavani to City isn't a possibility. I'm just saying that if Liverpool were to offer 45M€ and double his salary, he'd probably seriously consider it, as I'm sure would De Laurentiis. At Liverpool he'd be reunited with Suarez and guaranteed a spot in the starting XI. Also, Cavani doesn't strike me as a glory / money hunter. Just sayin', bro.

I just don't believe that he's for sale at that price. If that was a legitimate price, City would have met it by now as would have Chelsea. I think De Laurentiis is being honest when he says he wants 100m to sell him. He knows he won't get that much, but he also knows he'd get 45m in a heartbeat so if that tickled his fancy, it would have happened by now.

Arnie

Not many of them actually live in the city's though most players living in the Northwest live in Prestbury, Wilmslow and Alderley Edge places like that, even a few Liverpool and Everton players live over there, 50 minute drive to training but I suppose it's a chance to drive around in their Ferrari's and Lamborghini's.

Exactly, there's some gorgeous places to live in the Northwest. The nicest place I've ever been in the UK was Caldy on the Wirral.

Deprived areas are meaningless. They're prevalent throughout the country but unless you live inside them they don't affect you. When your girlfriend's being robbed at such a frequency as that of Cavani's, then you've got a substantial problem.

Spurs vs LA Galaxy at 3:30am looks like the only interesting one for a neutral.
Would quite like to watch that one but there's no way I could stay up that late.

Zabojnik

Lucas Moura's agent says a bid for him was made 2 weeks ago worth €33/£26m.

Can't believe San Paolo won't accept a 33M€ bid for Lucas. Then again, when you have Chelsea paying 40M€ for Hazard ... This can't continue for much longer, can it? FFP, save us!

I just don't believe that he's for sale at that price. If that was a legitimate price, City would have met it by now as would have Chelsea. I think De Laurentiis is being honest when he says he wants 100m to sell him. He knows he won't get that much, but he also knows he'd get 45m in a heartbeat so if that tickled his fancy, it would have happened by now.

Nah, it's just that De Laurentiis is a man of principle and doesn't need to sell. He sold Lavezzi for 28M€ (I think) and that's enough for this mercato. Next year will be Cavani's turn. He said he wants 50M€, if I remember correctly. He's crazy, but not 100M€ crazy. :p I also don't see a huge bidding war incoming for Cavani. If City were to pay 50M€, that's where he'd go, imo.

I wonder how Cavani and Napoli are going to fare without Lavezzi. He was the real engine behind Edison.

Oh I know, regardless of where they play they will live in amazing places.

I was getting at the spots you only really find in the big happening cities and then things like weather. Living in Manchester or Liverpool, even in Alderley Edge, just doesn't compete with Madrid or Milan or even London.

Of course there are plenty of factors to consider for a player. Just saying the NW cities do not compare with many others, IMO.

haha wow, I totally disagree on Tarantino. I mean, obviously everything he does is an homage in one way or another to exploitation films, but, in defense of QT, I think the main thing people forget is that all of his movies are about film itself and a kind of deconstruction of the medium. so people going into Inglourious Basterds expecting a WW2 film are going to be sorely disappointed because it's the anti-WW2 film in many regards.

You've got stuff like not showing the heist in Resivoir Dogs, the nonlinearity of Pulp Fiction, a certain end scene in Inglourious Basterds—I've always felt that his writing (and heavy emphasis on dialogue over action) really does show that he understands and is commenting on film, the limits of storytelling, and all that fun stuff. Unlike say, the Artist. Which is just kitsch garbage. Ugh I fucking hate the artist.

(It probably helps that I'm a huge sucker for postmodern anything.)

and yes^. Death Proof is soooo bad.

He does deconstruct cinema in his films, yes (the film reels in IB were seriously explosive IRL), but I'm always questioning to what end he's doing this, and I never get anything other than 'because he can'. I'm sure I could, too, if I'd seen as many movies as QT. I don't know - I guess it depends on whether or not you think sending up Hollywood in and of itself is worth much. I guess it's kind of cool, but I think if he really tried anymore, he could do just that. Something like Pulp Fiction is good, but it's really a series of great realist vignettes jumbled up. That doesn't scream ultra-'post-modern' to me, personally..

He does get it right in Jackie Brown, which is ostensibly a blaxploitation flick, but instead it's got the best characters he's committed to screen - probably because the film has characters that don't all sound like QT (which might have something to do with the film's novel roots). That's where he really turned it something on its ear and gave people something not quite like what they expected. The problem with JB was that the term 'blaxploitation' didn't mean a lot at the time. If he'd put it out within a few years of Foxy Brown (which, obviously, would have been difficult), maybe he would have had something. IMO, that film did poorly because what he was aping had been gone for a long time (Vampire in Brooklyn doesn't count!). I guess whether you value that as something 'post-modern' depends on whether you prefer character pieces or the method of delivery (non-linearity, etc.)..

QT has said that not showing the heist was 'initially' due to budget restraints; nonlinearity is obviously something that a lot of films did before RD/PF, and QT, no doubt, will have seen those films. I dunno.. I mean, I like his films, and I'm being super reductive here.. I've not liked his films post-Jackie Brown and I think that's what pisses me off mainly - he basically jumped the shark with Kill Bill. He's got his public mindshare and a nice little niche with Harvey Weinstein, he can basically direct what he wants.

tl;dr: he can but he doesn't.

It's interesting to see how opinions differ, anyways.. I've not seen The Artist, but what I've read seems to indicate it's trying to do what QT does in Jackie Brown. I'll have to watch it one of these days.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That took way too long to write for what it is... A team has signed a player in the time, surely?

EDIT: I took Portsmouth out with that. Damn.

Bumhead

Banned
http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/18977953

Really feel for Portsmouth's fans. They've been stitched up something rotten. The club will be relegated to League Two this season whether they survive beyond August 10 or not. The likes of Ben Haim refusing to budge on a £36k a week contract and Kanu barely bothering to turn up is a joke. They're holding the club to ransom at this point.

Clegg

Can't see United signing Moura now tbh.

The only bid was placed 15 days ago and since then all we've heard is how Sao Paolo want that little bit extra.

Wouldn't surprise me if United back away from the deal soon.

I just don't understand why if we have £26m, we can't buy a CM. There has to be a CM out there we can buy at that price, surely. I know it's not quite as simple as transferring the funds over and the club considers other things likes wages/age/marketing potential and all that crap, but still.

At least we're meant to be bidding for this Cirigliano fella who looks like a proper midfielder.

The only bid was placed 15 days ago and since then all we've heard is how Sao Paolo want that little bit extra.

You're more pessimistic than me, takes some doing. Even though I don't think we'll sign him now I'm keeping my mupptery juices flowing. Disappointing Clegane.

kharma45

I can see Sao Paolo caving eventually, no one else has made a serious bid and the money is there for them to take. If I were United I'd just sit back and let them get back to us, a more than fair offer has been made.

That's true, which makes it even crazier.

Yep exactly, which is why I'd rather we didn't sign him.

If it was £16m sure, worth a punt but not £26m.

I just don't understand why if we have £26m, we can't buy a CM. There has to be a CM out there we can buy at that price, surely. I know it's not quite as simple as transferring the funds over and the club considers other things likes wages/age/marketing potential and all that crap, but still.

At least we're meant to be bidding for this Cirigliano fella who looks like a proper midfielder.

vlQAS.jpg

And he'd be a lot less than £26m, I'd be surprised if a fee was above £15m tbh.

That'd leave money left over then to go for Baines or someone without breaking the bank.

jtb

Banned
He does deconstruct cinema in his films, yes (the film reels in IB were seriously explosive IRL), but I'm always questioning to what end he's doing this, and I never get anything other than 'because he can'. I'm sure I could, too, if I'd seen as many movies as QT. I don't know - I guess it depends on whether or not you think sending up Hollywood in and of itself is worth much. I guess it's kind of cool, but I think if he really tried anymore, he could do just that. Something like Pulp Fiction is good, but it's really a series of great realist vignettes jumbled up. That doesn't scream ultra-'post-modern' to me, personally..

He does get it right in Jackie Brown, which is ostensibly a blaxploitation flick, but instead it's got the best characters he's committed to screen - probably because the film has characters that don't all sound like QT (which might have something to do with the film's novel roots). That's where he really turned it something on its ear and gave people something not quite like what they expected. The problem with JB was that the term 'blaxploitation' didn't mean a lot at the time. If he'd put it out within a few years of Foxy Brown (which, obviously, would have been difficult), maybe he would have had something. IMO, that film did poorly because what he was aping had been gone for a long time (Vampire in Brooklyn doesn't count!). I guess whether you value that as something 'post-modern' depends on whether you prefer character pieces or the method of delivery (non-linearity, etc.)..

QT has said that not showing the heist was 'initially' due to budget restraints; nonlinearity is obviously something that a lot of films did before RD/PF, and QT, no doubt, will have seen those films. I dunno.. I mean, I like his films, and I'm being super reductive here.. I've not liked his films post-Jackie Brown and I think that's what pisses me off mainly - he basically jumped the shark with Kill Bill. He's got his public mindshare and a nice little niche with Harvey Weinstein, he can basically direct what he wants.

tl;dr: he can but he doesn't.

It's interesting to see how opinions differ, anyways.. I've not seen The Artist, but what I've read seems to indicate it's trying to do what QT does in Jackie Brown. I'll have to watch it one of these days.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

That took way too long to write for what it is... A team has signed a player in the time, surely?

EDIT: I took Portsmouth out with that. Damn.

I can agree with the whole "QT fell off after Jackie Brown" bit. Definitely think that the critical (well... awards, critics loved it) and commercial failure of that forced him to turn himself into this niche brand where his movies accentuate all of his good and bad habits to the point of self parody. Certainly that's the way the Weinstein's like it, and I wouldn't be surprised to see Django nominated for lots of awards and make good money because it's very QT even if it is at the cost of making what could be a great movie merely good.

as for the other part, we can agree to disagree. I definitely think that Pulp Fiction is a bit of genius filmmaking that is postmodern, not because it's a series of vignettes but because it takes a look at these characters and looks at them before and after their "stories", their stories all exist outside of the traditional realm of storytelling. I love the scene where (this is a Pulp Fiction spoiler--->)
Vincent dies
because that kind of sums up what the movie is all about. It's about taking these characters, and looking at them once their traditional story is over, putting the spotlight on them even when what they're saying doesn't necessarily move the plot along. It's about taking a main character, and then flipping that concept on its head when this character now serves no storytelling purpose other than to move Bruce WIllis' character towards the finish line of his story. It blurs the line between film and reality, and I love that. There is no point to these movies, because there's no point to life as a character.

that's my long-winded reading of Pulp Fiction (for one) anyways. IB and Kill Bill I just appreciate as being pretty fun films that still kick most other films' ass (and occasionally retain that kind of postmodern musings, especially in IB) and Death Proof is just shit. Like I said, I just really love shades of postmodern-anything :lol

--

anyways :lol Lucas Moura. no idea why United are grooming him to be their big superstar signing... guess a Brazillian wonderkid would sell shirts and a CM wouldn't? I'm sure Moutinho would cost the same amount as he would :/

K1LLER7

I seriously can't believe Lucas' agent will come to England just to watch Lucas. Think there will be talks.

^ Porto wanted £30m iirc

dc89

You're more pessimistic than me, takes some doing. Even though I don't think we'll sign him now I'm keeping my mupptery juices flowing. Disappointing Clegane.

You can have De Jong for £8-10m.

Clegg

I've seen enough of these United transfer stories to get a feeling if we actually have a chance of signing someone. And I just can't see this one happening.

And Cirigliano apparently has a 15m buyout clause. We've bid 7m.

Sandor or Gregor?

I've seen enough of these United transfer stories to get a feeling if we actually have a chance of signing someone. And I just can't see this one happening.

And Cirigliano apparently has a 15m buyout clause. We've bid 7m.

Sandor or Gregor?
Those figures are in $ too aren't they, meaning we've bid about £4m. £10m to get him...hmm, not sure he is worth taking a £10m risk but the one video I saw of him he looks alright.

Gregor isn't in the show much and I'm not even halfway through the first book yet, so I'll say Sandor.

Arnie

oh :lol :lol

Called it the other day:

Mirror said:
But it is ­understood Allen has been the subject of a bid from Tottenham, who are ready to pay around £10m for the highly talented young Wales and team GB midfielder.

Really hope he doesn't do a Gylfi.

Clegg

Those figures are in $ too aren't they, meaning we've bid about £4m. £10m to get him...hmm, not sure he is worth taking a £10m risk but the one video I saw of him he looks alright.

Gregor isn't in the show much and I'm not even halfway through the first book yet, so I'll say Sandor.

Yup, its in dollars.

And both Cleganes are boss.

Clegg

Lucas Moura agent: "I can't see any European club capable of offering the same as United offered for Lucas."

Fuck the fuck off.

This chap is a shit stirrer and is clearly trying to get more offers for Lucas.

Arnie

Still can't see how this 19 year old is worth £30 million.

I've Youtubed the lad and he looks good, but not good enough to splooge that amount of money. If you're willing to pay that sort of price for a 19 year old winger, why didn't you up Pogba's contract? Doesn't make any sense.

PaulLFC

*Long post warning* - PES 2013 stadium and team list. Interesting note from WENB that they may possibly have the licences for the Brazilian and Argentinian leagues.

"There are currently no South American teams outside of Copa Libertadores mode. I strongly believe it’s because Konami have secured the Brazilian and possibly Argentinian leagues. I expect to know more next month."

PES 2013 Stadium List

Wembley Stadium – English National Stadium
Old Trafford – Manchester United
Santiago Bernabeu – Real Madrid
Camp de Mestalla – Valencia
Vicente Calderon – Athletico Madrid
Ciutat de Valencia – Levante
Reyo de Navarra – Osasuna
Ramon Sanchez Pizjuan – Sevilla
La Rosaleda – Malaga
Estadio RCD Espanyol – Espanyol
Campo San Mames – Athletico Bilbao
Coliseum Alfonso Perez – Getafe
Stade De France – French National Stadium
Stade Lous II – Monaco
San Siro – AC Milan
Il Nuovo Stadio Della Juventus – Juventus
Stadio Olimpico – Roma/Lazio
Giuseppe Meazza – Inter
Allianz Arena – Bayern Munich
Estadio Da Luz – Benfica
Estadio Dragao – Porto
Estadio Jose Alvalade – Sporting Clube do Portugal
Estadio Urbano Caldiera – Santos
Saitama Stadium 2002 – Urawa Red Diamonds

Unlicensed Stadia

Bristol Mary Stadium
Rose Park Stadium
Royal London Stadium
Estadio Del Nuevo Triunfo
Stade De Sagittaire
Stadio Orione
Burg Stadion
Ville Marie Stadium
Estadio De Escorpiao
Estadio Amazonas
Estadio De Palenque
Konami Stadium
Mohamed Lewis Stadium

Missing: Camp Nou, Amsterdam Arena, El Monumental

10x Spanish stadiums to come through DLC, including Camp Nou. No news on Amsterdam Arena and El Monumental.

TEAM LIST

EUROPE

Austria
Belgium
Bosnia And Herzegovina
Bulgaria
Croatia
Czech Republic
Denmark
England
Finland
France
Germany
Greece
Hungary
Ireland
Israel
Italy
Montenegro
Netherlands
Northern Ireland
Norway
Poland
Portugal
Romania
Russia
Scotland
Serbia
Slovakia
Slovenia
Spain
Sweden
Switzerland
Turkey
Ukraine
Wales

AFRICA

Algeria
Angola
Cameroon
Ivory Coast
Egypt
Ghana
Guinea
Mali
Morocco
Nigeria
Senegal
South Africa
Tunisia
Zambia (replaces Togo)

AMERICAS

Canada
Costa Rica
Honduras
Mexico
Panama
USA
Argentina
Bolivia
Brazil
Chile
Colombia
Ecuador
Paraguay
Peru
Uruguay
Venezuela

ASIA

Australia
China
Iran
Japan
Jordan
Kuwait
Lebanon (replaces Bahrain)
North Korea
Oman (replaces Syria)
Qatar
Saudi Arabia
South Korea
Thailand
UAE
Uzbekistan
New Zealand

Liga BBVA (League licensed + All teams licensed)

Athletic Club
Atlético Madrid
FC Barcelona
Celta De Vigo
RC Deportivo
RCD Espanyol
Getafe CF
Granada CF
Levante UD
RCD Mallorca
Málaga CF
CA Osasuna
Rayo Vallecano
Real Betis
Real Madrid CF
Real Sociedad
Real Zaragoza
Sevilla FC
Valencia CF

English League

Arsenal
Aston Villa
Chelsea
Everton
Fulham
Liverpool
Manchester City
Manchester United (licensed)
Newcastle
Norwich City
Queens Park Rangers
Reading
Southampton
Stoke City
Sunderland
Swansea City
Tottenham Hotspur
West Bromwich Albion
West Ham United
Wigan Athletic

Ligue 1 (League licensed + All teams licensed)

AC Ajaccio
SC Bastia
FC Girondins de Bordeaux
Stade Brestois 29
Évian Thonon Gaillard FC
LOSC Lille Métropole
FC Lorient
Olympique Lyonnais
Olympique de Marseille
Montpellier Hérault SC
AS Nancy-Lorraine
OGC Nice
Paris Saint-Germain FC
Stade De Reims
Stade Rennais FC
FC Sochaux-Montbéliard
AS Saint-Étienne
Toulouse FC
Estac Troyes
Valenciennes FC

Italian League (All teams licensed)

Atalanta BC
Bologna FC
Cagliari Calcio
Calcio Catania
Chievo Verona
Fiorentina
Geno
Internazionale
Juventus
S.S. Lazio
A.C. Milan
SSC Napoli
USC Palermo
Parma FC
Pescara
Roma
U.C. Sampdoria
Siena
Torino
Udinese Calcio

Eredivisie (League licensed + All teams licensed)

ADO Den Haag
AZ Alkmaar
AFC Ajax
FC Groningen
FC Twente
FC Utrecht
Feyenoord
SC Heerenveen
Heracles Almelo
NAC Breda
NEC Nijmegen
PSV Eindhoven
RKC Waalwijk
Roda JC
VVV-Venlo
Vitesse
Willem II
PEC Zwolle

Portuguese League

Académica
Beira Mar
Benfica (licensed)
Nacional Mad
FC Porto (licensed)
Gil Vicente
Maritimo
Olhanense
Ferreira
Rio Ave
Braga (licensed)
Sporting de Portugal (licensed)
Guimaraes
Setubal

Other European teams

Note, there are 4 blank teams in this group, which could be any teams removed or replaced. We’ll know more next month.

RSC Anderlecht (replaces KRC Genk)
Club Brugge KV (replaces Standard Liège)
Dinamo Zagreb
AC Sparta Praha
FC Copenhagen
F.C. Bayern München
AEK Athens
Olympiacos FC
Panathinaikos FC
PAOK F.C.
Wisła Kraków
CFR Cluj (replaces FC Oțelul Galați)
CSKA Moscow
Spartak Moscow (replaces FC Rubín Kazán)
Zenit St. Petersburg
Celtic FC
Motherwell FC (replaces Rangers FC)
Beşiktaş
Fenerbahçe
Galatasaray
Trabzonspor
Shakhtar Donetsk
Dynamo Kiev

Removed teams from Other European Teams

HJK Helsinki
Bayer 04 Leverkusen
Rosenborg BK
AIK
FC Basel
FC Zürich

Copa Libertadores

MEX}} Tigres
MEX}} Cruz Azul
MEX}} Chivas
ARG}} Vélez Sarsfield
ARG}} Boca Juniors
ARG}} Lanús
ARG}} Godoy Cruz
ARG}} Arsenal
BOL}} Club Bolívar
BOL}} The Strongest
BOL}} Real Potosi
BRA}} Santos FC
BRA}} SC Corinthians
BRA}} Vasco da Gama
BRA}} Fluminense FC
BRA}} CR Flamengo
BRA}} SC Internacional
CHI}} Universidad de Chile
CHI}} Universidad Católica
CHI}} Unión Española
COL}} Atlético Nacional
COL}} Junior
COL}} Once Caldas
ECU}} S.D. Quito
ECU}} Emelec
ECU}} El Nacional
PAR}} Club Nacional
PAR}} Club Olimpia
PAR}} Libertad
PER}} Juan Aurich
PER}} Alianza Lima
PER}} Sport Huancayo
URU}} Nacional
URU}} Defensor Sporting
URU}} Penarol
VEN}} Deportivo Tachira
VEN}} Zamora F.C.
VEN}} Carascas

kharma45

Still can't see how this 19 year old is worth £30 million.

I've Youtubed the lad and he looks good, but not good enough to splooge that amount of money. If you're willing to pay that sort of price for a 19 year old winger, why didn't you up Pogba's contract? Doesn't make any sense.

He's not worth it in the slightest, I honestly don't understand what SAF is at trying to spend so much on someone who could easily flop over here.

Baffles me.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom