• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Arnie

Including :)

Just gotta sort out whether Kyle's in or not, and decide whether to have more than 20 people in the league.

In fact, if you're in the league already, are you for or against having more than 20 participants?
I'm for as many people in this thread who want to participate.

MPW

I wonder what mr. platini has to say about psg and thier spending

oh wait? french club? look the other way everyone :p

Zabojnik

Lets have some real muppetry, a YouTube video from 6 years ago of Kerlon, the next Ronaldinho...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y6Yj7GoXPZw

This is what I think of when I think of Lucas, all talk and no career.

Kerlon was great joke material back in the day.

2005–2008 Cruzeiro 26 (0)
2008–2009 Chievo 4 (0)
2009–2012 Internazionale 0 (0)
2009–2010 → Ajax (loan) 0 (0)
2011 → Paraná (loan) 1 (0)
2011 → Nacional-NS (loan) ? (?)
2012- Nacional-NS ? (?)

What an amazing career. You can't compare him with Lucas though. He's on another level completely.

jtb

Banned

Just gotta sort out whether Kyle's in or not, and decide whether to have more than 20 people in the league.

In fact, if you're in the league already, are you for or against having more than 20 participants?

edit - Cheers Arnie :)

well if there's room, I'm in. I take it you're pm'ing the league/paypal details?

kharma45

Come on, now. Lucas has played 15 times for Brazil and he's only 19. Kerlon was a show pony.

Harsh yes but that's my worry. 15 caps by 19 is quite a lot true but I still worry over him adapting to football here as well as fulfilling his presumed potential.

If it was Neymar I'd be slightly more optimistic but I'd imagine him costing more again.

I'm for as many people in this thread who want to participate.

Same, the more the merrier.

More money to win might keep people more interested.

Zabojnik

Amarcord of the day:

40294140812714255582838.png

edit - Cheers Arnie :)
More the better for me.

Although not a crazy amount, at the moment it seems like I "know" most people in the league and I'd like it to stay that way as much as possible.

LegoArmo

I'll join the league, if you're still taking more entries. I changed my fragile mind.

New PS3 is really ugly, I'm glad I still have my launch one.

The_Hitcher89///Stark FC
Wilbury///JTbury FC
PrematureQuiche///PrematureQuiche FC
Arnie///LSD Eindhoven
Mastadon///Dyslexia Untied
elseanio/// Sporting Lisbonjela
BLSwagger10///Puff Puff Shoot
Joe///Holy Cannoli
Jeff Albertson///Jeff FC
Vivarazala///Vivalaraza
Freewheelin'///FreeWheelin FC
Awesome Animals///JTgate
choodi///Fatman United (choodi)
odd_morsel///Bacon of Hope FC
Spanish Wrath///Vuvuzela BRRRRFC
kharma45///Leave My Arcelona
Anderson///UnAthletic FC
Swance///Swance's Sexy Squad
WoodenLung///Voyeurs Young Boys
the walrus///TheWalrus
LegoArmo///BASED-in-Newcastle
PaulLFC///
Kylehimself///kylehimself

Bolded have paid, italics are TBC :)

edit - OK, on the advice of my subjects, I'll open the gates for a while. Walrus you're in. LegoArmo as well :)

That reminds me, now that Allen is going to Liverpool (seems like it anyway) I need to put him back in my FF team. Tough fixtures early on so I may bench him but should be good value long term. Cheap and should pick up at least as many points as he did last year, I think he'll play regularly under Rodgers.

Salvadora

Hugo Lloris transfer gets personal as Tottenham 'accuse Arsenal of fake bid'
http://www.metro.co.uk/sport/footba...-personal-as-spurs-accuse-arsenal-of-fake-bid
Spurs have been long-term admirers of the French no.1, while Arsenal were attributed with an interest last month.
Such a move would have suited the Ligue 1 outfit as they seek £16million for their wantaway keeper, which is £3million more than Spurs are willing to offer.
However, French weekly sports newspaper Le 10 Sport, claim Spurs are now suggesting the leaked Gunners 'interest' was part of a ploy set-up between Arsene Wenger and Lyon manager Remi Garde, who played under the Arsenal boss for three years.
Tottenham chairman Daniel Levy is said to be suspicious of the interest shown by Arsenal, who are already fully stocked in goal with Wojciech Szczesny and Lukasz Fabianski.
Sources at the Emirates told Le 10 Sport that Lloris was never a serious target for Wenger.
The Frenchman is said to have doubts over the 25-year-old's ability to cope with the physical nature of Premier League football.
Lyon chairman Jean-Michel Aulas, meanwhile, has said that no official offers have been made for Lloris.
‘I will see Hugo when I arrive in New York on Thursday and we will take a definitive decision [on his future] the day after the Champions Trophy [on Saturday],’ Aulas told the Progres newspaper.
:lol

PaulLFC

I haven't made my team on Fantasy Football yet, but I will do at some point before the season starts and would like to join the paid league if there's space. Is there a reason for the 20 team limit? Just wondering, because surely more people in the league equals more prize money for everyone? Unless it's a head to head league, then I can see why it'd need to be even numbers.

I haven't made my team on Fantasy Football yet, but I will do at some point before the season starts and would like to join the paid league if there's space. Is there a reason for the 20 team limit? Just wondering, because surely more people in the league equals more prize money for everyone? Unless it's a head to head league, then I can see why it'd need to be even numbers.

20 just sounded good to me. Remember bros, everyone's opinion matters in terms of the winnings split and number of players :)

Is Mata playing at the Olympics?

kharma45

That reminds me, now that Allen is going to Liverpool (seems like it anyway) I need to put him back in my FF team. Tough fixtures early on so I may bench him but should be good value long term. Cheap and should pick up at least as many points as he did last year, I think he'll play regularly under Rodgers.

Yeah if he's moving I was tempted to stick him in, in fact, just did instead of Sessengon.

Keep tinkering with my team, really not sure about my line-up now as I have a good team but I've a feeling I've got too much money in Assou-Ekotto sitting on the bench. It's either him or Coloccini.

Will the posters in the paid league also be in the regular FF league?

Yeah I plan to be.

Is Mata playing at the Olympics?
Yes, which means he probably isn't a good pick early on.

I realised this yesterday and thought I should share it here...but then I got competitive.

I feel bad now. Maybe I'll be wrong anyway, but if you're going for a Chelsea midfielder early on I think Hazard is a better bet.

Hixx

Yeah if he's moving I was tempted to stick him in, in fact, just did instead of Sessengon.

Keep tinkering with my team, really not sure about my line-up now as I have a good team but I've a feeling I've got too much money in Assou-Ekotto sitting on the bench. It's either him or Coloccini.

Yeah I plan to be.

there is not a cat in hells chance Allen will pick up more points than Sessegnon.

He's good, but I wouldn't want him back. Gündogan has the greater potential.
While he can also play those deadly passes, he's also (potentially) more dangerous when he attacks himself (more agile, much better dribbler). Sahin was also really deep in Dortmund for the most part and was rarely pressed against when playing those good, long passes/directing the flow.
He'd still be a good signing for Utd. but there are some deficiencies with him.

I see Liverpool is still living up to:
for some reason even though the strategy has proven to be dumb/wasteful in the past.
I thought things would change with the new ppl. in charge.

Yes, which means he probably isn't a good pick early on.

I realised this yesterday and thought I should share it here...but then I got competitive.

I feel bad now. Maybe I'll be wrong anyway, but if you're going for a Chelsea midfielder early on I think Hazard is a better bet.

FUCK! Can't take a chance on him and Suarez missing for the first game. Mata also plays 2 games in the first gameweek. Better change my bench priority then. Cheers

Arnie

for some reason even though the strategy has proven to be dumb/wasteful in the past.
We're buying him for his technical ability, and his proficiency at playing the style we aspire to. Not because he's British. In fact if he wasn't British he'd probably cost more.

kharma45

Definitely not but he costs much less.

Funnily enough Kharma, I had Sess too!

Yeah he's pretty cheap and Liverpool keep a decent amount of clean sheets so that's why I swapped him in for the mean time, as midfielders get clean sheet bonuses iirc.

This is what I've ended up with after swapping Sess for Allen

iJrgdxPixFvqd.png

Sess did get more points with 161 but Allen did well with 117 at Swansea and I'd imagine would do better at Liverpool.

kharma45

Our teams are pretty close Kharma.

I learnt my lesson last year not realising how to get points early enough, it's all about attacking fullbacks generally in defence etc.

De Gea I think is quite cheap tbh, I could see him doing relatively well points wise this year but my fear is he won't start the season being away at the Olympics.

Yen

I see Liverpool is still living up to:

I don't think just because Adam has been crap, Downing worse, and Henderson at best underwhelming, means we can never buy British players again.

Arnie

I laughed out loud at this picture, and I'm not entirely sure why.

623788287.jpg

I don't think just because Adam has been crap, Downing worse, and Henderson at best underwhelming, means we can never buy British players again.
Especially when Joe Allen displays the opposite characteristics of a traditional British player.

Probably room for one more in the paid league

Jeff, give me your team name :)

Sorry pal did my team this morning I'll send the cash tomorrow

I'm being boring and sticking with Jeff FC for now

Someone at rovers is a genius:

Home kit - blue and white
Away kit - blue
Third kit - white

581026_445097798863654_502722582_n.jpg

I do like the third though

We're buying him for his technical ability, and his proficiency at playing the style we aspire to. Not because he's British. In fact if he wasn't British he'd probably cost more.
I have to admit that I've never seen him play, it's just that http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/joe-allen/profil/spieler_51452.html reports him as having a market value of £3.500.000 (and it's calculated with a fictional 3y contract in mind) and they're rarely off by as much as 10m so just based on that I assumed that you're paying a British tax on him (like you did before with other players).
But if he lives up to that then more power to you!
Also 15m would buy a great, young CM/DM/OM with EL/CL experience even. Just look at Xhaka (Basel->Gladbach). Even Kagawa cost Utd. close to that (without the bonuses).

Yen

I have to admit that I've never seen him play, it's just that http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/en/joe-allen/profil/spieler_51452.html reports him as having a market value of £3.500.000 (and it's calculated with a fictional 3y contract in mind) and they're rarely off by as much as 10m so just based on that I assumed that you're paying a British tax on him (like you did before with other players).
Also 15m would buy a great, young CM/DM/OM with EL/CL experience even. Just look at Xhaka (Basel->Gladbach). Even Kagawa cost Utd. close to that (without the bonuses).

You've never seen him play and are relying on an online valuation site?

Yeah he's pretty cheap and Liverpool keep a decent amount of clean sheets so that's why I swapped him in for the mean time, as midfielders get clean sheet bonuses iirc.

This is what I've ended up with after swapping Sess for Allen

iJrgdxPixFvqd.png

Sess did get more points with 161 but Allen did well with 117 at Swansea and I'd imagine would do better at Liverpool.
I think you've spent a bit too much on your defence. De Gea is a good pick I agree and Baines is always solid. Not sure about both Spurs full backs, some decent value about in the 5m price range and you've got two decent defenders on the bench already.

Think you should upgrade your midfield a bit if you can.

Just my two cents!

Hixx

does anyone but the Liverpool fans reckon Allen is worth £13m+?

I know I'm asking people to admitting being wrong but honesty is always the best course of action etcs

edit: i am so tired so this post is even more of a mess than usual but the point remains

Arnie

Fair enough, although for his age and after the season he just had he's definitely worth about £10 million. Obviously Swansea wanted more for the trouble, and we met them in the middle, assuming Stobart's information is correct.

Watch this video and tell me if he looks like a British player.

Meier

Rodgers said he wouldn't poach Swansea and he goes and takes their best player still on the team. I think it's pretty safe to say that LFC is throwing them a significant golden parachute due to the fact this little gentleman's agreement has been reneged on.

does anyone but the Liverpool fans reckon Allen is worth £13m+?

I know I'm asking people to admitting being wrong but honesty is always the best course of action etcs
I think it's okay tbh. It's a bit over the odds but not spectacularly so like Henderson and Downing were.

Allen is able to go straight into the team and perform IMO. You're bound to pay a bit more than a player is worth these days especially when buying within the league.

I don't think he will be a flop. Will either end up as a decent signing or a very good one.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom