• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT| The Beautiful Game

Status
Not open for further replies.

Clegg

Why not?

Bebe was bought for £7m and is absolute shite. Torres was bought for £50m and is a bit less shite.

Kyoufu

Why not?

Bebe was bought for £7m and is absolute shite. Torres was bought for £50m and is a bit less shite.

Torres is far better than Bebe. He's just dodgy half of the time since his Chelsea move.

He still manages a Euro 2012 Golden Boot award, so I don't think it's fair to compare him to Bebe.

Should wait and see Torres in the new Chelsea team. The service from Marin, Hazard etc will be good for him.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Ajax v Celtic friendly in 50 mins.

It's good to be back. :)

Feels weird watching it at 2am though, lol. My first taste of being a fan abroad :(

Pure shite.

TorresMataECL.jpg

tumblr_m4alg7ex9W1rnrw5uo1_500.jpg

cq5dam.thumbnail.490.338.margin.png

1837273_w2.jpg

Anyway, Torres love despite of his obvious flaws aside. I love me some Juan Mata.

Sage00

Once And Future Member
Torres is an enigma who is worth having just on the odd chance he becomes unplayable for 10 minutes in a single match.

rodvik

Found these on twitter just now:

89770hp2.jpg

De Laurentiis: "My job is not to moralize but sometime I look football players in the eyes and I think: Come on, have another tattoo on your dick if you still have enough space."

De Laurentiis on the Coppa Italia: "Oh I enjoyed so much fucking them in the ass in Rome. I couldn't stand anymore listening to other fans singing our celebrating chants when they were winning."

De Laurentiis on friendly with Shanghai Shenua: "Actually they are shit but they have Drogba and Anelka, so to organize this friendly against them they asked me €120,000 + flights for our people + €15,000 for our accomodation. In the end, this will cost us €400,000€, but I didn't want to miss the chance to advertise Napoli in China."

De Laurentiis on Jovetic:"We are ready to pay him €30m and leave him one year to Fiorentina, but if he is uncertain and he makes me understand he is thinking about Barcelona, so you can go to fuck off."

He is like a rich mans Dave Whelan.

I'll be off then

scooter.jpg

Torres is far better than Bebe. He's just dodgy half of the time since his Chelsea move.

He still manages a Euro 2012 Golden Boot award, so I don't think it's fair to compare him to Bebe.

Should wait and see Torres in the new Chelsea team. The service from Marin, Hazard etc will be good for him.

There was nothing wrong with Torres's service imo. It'd be like blaming Downing every time Suarez booted the ball at the keeper from 7 yards.

which I do

Clegg

Football is a team game. Spain could easily mask the defiencies of Torres because they are so good. He scored twice against the worst team in the tournament and then against an already beaten Italian side.

Rich mans Bebe was only a joke but imo he's been nothing but bad since he moved to Chelsea. He wasn't very good in his last 6 months with Liverpool either. His speed has gone and he doesn't look confident anymore. I'd be willing to see if he can up his game with this new Chelsea squad. He needs to tbh. He was a very peripheral player in Chelseas success last season.

There was nothing wrong with Torres's service imo. It'd be like blaming Downing every time Suarez booted the ball at the keeper from 7 yards.

which I do

There was lots wrong with the service for Torres (and Drogba), Chelsea hasn't even had a competent winger all season. But of course Torres has also been completely shit himself for Chelsea. He has however shown more than enough times he's not just some shit player who only managed to get where he is now because the manager of the team wanted to help out one of his corrupt friends. Will be interesting to see this season though, if he manages to find back his form or not, I doubt it and think Chelsea will end up spending big money on Cavani or Falcao in the winter.

Football is a team game. Spain could easily mask the defiencies of Torres because they are so good. He scored twice against the worst team in the tournament and then against an already beaten Italian side.

Rich mans Bebe was only a joke but imo he's been nothing but bad since he moved to Chelsea. He wasn't very good in his last 6 months with Liverpool either. His speed has gone and he doesn't look confident anymore. I'd be willing to see if he can up his game with this new Chelsea squad. He needs to tbh. He was a very peripheral player in Chelseas success last season.
In a team game he was a team player. Popped up when it mattered a few times and on the whole provided a number of good performances.

Of course he never lived up to the hype. But I got quite annoyed last season at much of his bad press. Often he got called lazy and disinterested, which as somebody who only missed one half of a Chelsea game all last season, I can say with certainty is not true. That's why I like him. Even in his lowest of low moments scoring no goals, he fought for the team and provided a lot. Now a lot of people, even Chelsea fans will say that's not his job, but if he provides goals to win games then for me, he's provided for the team, which is more important than individual achievements.

I honestly can't see him being poor this season with the players he'll have sitting behind him. We will see.

There was lots wrong with the service for Torres (and Drogba), Chelsea hasn't even had a competent winger all season. But of course Torres has also been completely shit himself for Chelsea. He has however shown more than enough times he's not just some shit player who only managed to get where he is now because the manager of the team wanted to help out one of his corrupt friends. Will be interesting to see this season though, if he manages to find back his form or not, I doubt it and think Chelsea will end up spending big money on Cavani or Falcao in the winter.

Ouch.

And fair enough, you're in a far better position to judge Torres's level of service last season than me. Regardless though, he was missing chances and oppurtunities for chances that he'd normally put away without thinking. The team was doing enough for him to show how good he is.

Kyoufu

That's a better comparison than Bebe imo :lol

They both have scored goals vs Barcelona heheh.

But Torres is truly the Barca slayer.

2002-03: Atletico Madrid 3 Barcelona 0 - Scored the first to give Atletico half time lead.

2004-05: Atletico Madrid 1 Barcelona 1 - Scored three minutes into second half to level Van Bronckhorst opener.

Barcelona 0 Atletico Madrid 2 - Scored in the first minute and then a penalty in the last.

2005-06: Atletico Madrid 2 Barcelona 1 - Scored equaliser after 18 minutes before Kezman’s second-half winner.

Barcelona 1 Atletico Madrid 3 - Opened the scoring before half time and wrapped it up with a second 14 minutes from time.

Barcelona 2 Chelsea 2 - Garynevilleorgasm.mp3

I'd like to see Bebe do that. Or anything.

In a team game he was a team player. Popped up when it mattered a few times and on the whole provided a number of good performances.

Of course he never lived up to the hype. But I got quite annoyed last season at much of his bad press. Often he got called lazy and disinterested, which as somebody who only missed one half of a Chelsea game all last season, I can say with certainty is not true. That's why I like him. Even in his lowest of low moments scoring no goals, he fought for the team and provided a lot. Now a lot of people, even Chelsea fans will say that's not his job, but if he provides goals to win games then for me, he's provided for the team, which is more important than individual achievements.

I honestly can't see him being poor this season with the players he'll have sitting behind him. We will see.

Speculation from me but I think Torres will be the reason Chelsea aren't in the top two by the end of this season. I think he's that bad. Also you forgot to mention the times he refused to take penalties throughout last season which is a piss-poor showing for a £50 million striker.

Kyoufu

Newcastle team against Fenerbahce: Elliot, Coloccini (C), Gosling, R Taylor, Amalfitano, Ba, Tiote, Obertan, Vuckic, Tavernier, Simpson

I miss Cabaye/Cisse/Ben Arfa :(

Speculation from me but I think Torres will be the reason Chelsea aren't in the top two by the end of this season. I think he's that bad. Also you forgot to mention the times he refused to take penalties throughout last season which is a piss-poor showing for a £50 million striker.

He's fucking dreadful at penalties.

Torres doesn't take penalties, in fact ask Liverpool fans, I'm fairly certain he rarely ever took them for Pool either. And the times he "refused" he hadn't been chosen to take them, it was the other players trying to give him an opportunity to score, and he didn't take them because he wasn't selected. He said as much in interviews.

Clegg

Don't think I'll completely write Torres off just yet. He was so good for do long that he deserves at least one more season to prove himself. If he has another poor season then Chelsea will have to make some hard decisions about his future.

It's been 2 years since he had a good season.

Torres doesn't take penalties, in fact ask Liverpool fans, I'm fairly certain he rarely ever took them for Pool either. And the times he "refused" he hadn't been chosen to take them, it was the other players trying to give him an opportunity to score, and he didn't take them because he wasn't selected. He said as much in interviews.

He took one penalty for us, in a penalty shootout his first ever match against some Hong Kong team. It was an awful penalty. Benayoun bollocksed his up as well on their shared debut :p

Don't think I'll completely write Torres off just yet. He was so good for do long that he deserves at least one more season to prove himself. If he has another poor season then Chelsea will have to make some hard decisions about his future.

It's been 2 years since he had a good season.
I agree. I really like him, he seems like a nice bloke (although ultimately that matters very little). He can put in good performances and because I know he's capable I like to have him around. But if he can't turn it around this season then he probably should go. For everyone's sake really, no point in us having a guy we can't use, and no point in him playing somewhere he can't.

Hope he picks up.

I agree. I really like him, he seems like a nice bloke (although ultimately that matters very little). He can put in good performances and because I know he's capable I like to have him around. But if he can't turn it around this season then he probably should go. For everyone's sake really, no point in us having a guy we can't use, and no point in him playing somewhere he can't.

Hope he picks up.

I wouldn't be taken in for a second by Torres' media persona if I were you.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
The preseason cups are seriously stupid. Glorified training sessions, except one of them is actually cursed.

Resist your inner DNA Conte and don't go for the win! We don't want any injuries please.

edit: Spurs made an offer to Borriello. wut?

I wouldn't be taken in for a second by Torres' media persona if I were you.
Huh? I just mean he seems to keep him self to himself outside of football and he seems to get on well with his team mates. He doesn't come across as a ballbag is all I mean really.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he loves Chelsea or anything and that the club means everything to him. He'll move on if he has to. I however wont be burning shirts if does, a la them eejits on SSN the night he switched.

rodvik

Birmingham fucking City friendly on US TV followed by a damn Newcastle friendly both full games but no Villa game. Its like I am being deliberately taunted.

Arnie

Torres' form is a mixture of low confidence, slightly less athleticism due to bulking after injury, and quite crucially he misses the service of Gerrard and Alonso, which he just hasn't got at Chelsea, thus far at least.

Torres was poor at Liverpool before he moved, but given the service he could still produce, just look at his goal against Wigan, where Gerrard threaded him through. Great touch and finish.

Arnie

Huh? I just mean he seems to keep him self to himself outside of football and he seems to get on well with his team mates. He doesn't come across as a ballbag is all I mean really.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he loves Chelsea or anything and that the club means everything to him. He'll move on if he has to. I however wont be burning shirts if does, a la them eejits on SSN the night he switched.
All the talk whilst he was at Liverpool was that he kept himself to himself at training. He trained well, and he was always very professional but he was never the loud mouth 'banter' player who'd G everyone up, or crack loads of jokes, that was and still is Pepe for us.

As for the shirt burning, it was moronic. I still wear my Torres shirt with pride. He was the best striker I've ever seen and I find it tough to imagine ever seeing a better one. It's just har to envisage when I think back to Torres in his prime.

Messi

Quick kit review: Man Utd Away 12/13

Light comfortable material, much like Netherlands away kit. Crest stitched and nicely set. Black and white crest looks good. Collar is not bad when buttoned up, looks bad when not. Buttons for collar feel cheap and feel like they will break easily. Hard to use also, quite small.

Comeon' son (stop cheapin on the buttons) sorry about the shitty cam)

Surprised by the comfort. Would buy at €50

8/10

Clegg

Paddy Crerand shits it whenever Kagawa touches the ball.

Doesn't know how to pronounce the name so calls him "The young Japanese lad" instead.

Stubo

Quick kit review: Man Utd Away 12/13

Light comfortable material, much like Netherlands away kit. Crest stitched and nicely set. Black and white crest looks good. Collar is not bad when buttoned up, looks bad when not. Buttons for collar feel cheap and feel like they will break easily. Hard to use also, quite small.

Comeon' son

Surprised by the comfort. Would buy at €50

8/10
I want to be surprised, I really do :p

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
I'm watching the Rapid Vienna match. I've never watched an Austrian match before. The atmosphere at the stadium is great.

Zabojnik

The preseason cups are seriously stupid. Glorified training sessions, except one of them is actually cursed.

Resist your inner DNA Conte and don't go for the win! We don't want any injuries please.

edit: Spurs made an offer to Borriello. wut?

Come on Richmond!!! Show this milanese pussies how it's done!

Boakye+Yiadom+Richmond+Juventus+FC+v+Aygreville+vzEv26ih1ilx.jpg

Borriello would be perfect for zi Spurs. /runs

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom