• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

The real question is does Everton belong in that Second Tier along with Newcastle, Liverpool and Spurs.

I'd say so. They're not a bad team. They're rock hard to beat at home too so they'll definitely get top 10 finish and aim for top 6.

Whether they get top 6 is unlikely though.

edit: 3rd tier not 2nd.

Clegg

I genuinely can't see Arsenal finishing top 2. Their attack is much improved even if RVP is sold. But they don't have the depth in defence to successfully manage their way through a PL season. Fullback is a big weakness imo. They don't have a left back and their only cover for Sagna is Jenkinson.

I genuinely can't see Arsenal finishing top 2. Their attack is much improved even if RVP is sold . But they don't have the depth in defence to successfully manage their way through a PL season. Fullback is a big weakness imo. They don't have a left back and their only cover for Sagna is Jenkinson.
People just getting caught up with their promising signings, a bit like Chelsea, IMO.

Several key problems still remain.

And remember, Arsenal's biggest problem isn't even ability, it's mental. Time and time again they have collapsed under pressure and lost discipline and I wouldn't be at all surprised if that happened again if they are up the table around March time.

I genuinely can't see Arsenal finishing top 2. Their attack is much improved even if RVP is sold. But they don't have the depth in defence to successfully manage their way through a PL season. Fullback is a big weakness imo. They don't have a left back and their only cover for Sagna is Jenkinson.

Yea its probably the fan in me saying 2nd. Man Utd will probably take it if Im being honest with myself.

I thought Chelsea would do a lot better based on their signings but after seeing yesterdays performance I think they will take time to gel and RDM just wont isnt the man to move them forward.

Meier

He would have played a lot more games if he was injury free.

Quite true. Hopefully City's physios and training staff can keep him healthy. Perhaps the fact that he won't be relied upon quite as much will assist in his remaining fresh.

@kharma45: It doesn't look like the PL's site allows you to sort by age, but I think you're going to find that there aren't many players at 20 or less who'd played anywhere near as many games him last year let alone the years prior. 21 is still quite young for a first team player. United fans would have you believe Clever Tom was still a boy but he's 23.

Clegg

Yea its probably the fan in me saying 2nd. Man Utd will probably take it if Im being honest with myself.

I thought Chelsea would do a lot better based on their signings but after seeing yesterdays performance I think they will take time to gel and RDM just wont isnt the man to move them forward.

Arsenal could potentially have the same problems as Chelsea i.e new players taking a while to settle in. But Wenger is a much better manager than Di Matteo so I'd expect Arsenal to hit the ground running and Chelsea to experience a few problems.

LegoArmo

Rafael just turned 22 last month and he's played 90 games (all competitions) for United, and even he doesn't have the best injury record.

Timurid

Anyone know how good Drenthe is? Torino are looking to sign him before the transfer window closes. Also, 2012/13 kits are out!!!!!
New-Torino-Kit-2012.jpg

dc89

Relegated Blackburn Rovers have failed in an audacious bid to take John Guidetti on loan from #mcfc. [ESPN]

Sorry Jeff.

pappe

If Rodwell was from Netherlands or other Scandinavian country he would have cost 1.2mil instead of 12 and Newcastle would be the front runners to get his signature.

Rodwell made 14 PL appearances last year.

Reckon you could find 10 players at least of a similar age who played more than that.

Not sure that it really matters much anyway. He has injury problems and hasn't developed like people expected. The fee doesn't matter to City, wages are more important...if they're paying him alot of money to just sit around or be injured...that's a problem. Wages are more important than transfer fees.

I didn't even notice him last year tbh. A couple of years ago I used to think he could be a really good player so City will hope they can get that out of him. I don't think the reason people are making a "big" deal out of this transfer is the fee though, it's the personnel. We just expect City to do better, rightly or wrongly.

ShogunX

According to my Everton supporting friends Rodwell started twelve out of the first thirteen games before a combination of injuries, David Moyes and that nasty, cheating, diving rat bastard Suarez got him sent off.

Meier

Reckon you could find 10 players at least of a similar age who played more than that.

Not sure that it really matters much anyway. He has injury problems and hasn't developed like people expected. The fee doesn't matter to City, wages are more important...if they're paying him alot of money to just sit around or be injured...that's a problem. Wages are more important than transfer fees.

I didn't even notice him last year tbh. A couple of years ago I used to think he could be a really good player so City will hope they can get that out of him. I don't think the reason people are making a "big" deal out of this transfer is the fee though, it's the personnel. We just expect City to do better, rightly or wrongly.
That'd still be 10-15 guys out of ~250. Quite far from being common.

A common suggestion is that his HG status was a key reason which might well be true. Who knows though. If he doesn't pan out, it's not that big of a loss but if he does, it's an inspired signing. Until proven otherwise, I'll believe that anyone claims he's on 100k+ is just bluster by someone who would leave people to believe that everyone from City is (and they aren't).

If Rodwell was from Netherlands or other Scandinavian country he would have cost 1.2mil instead of 12 and Newcastle would be the front runners to get his signature.

Definitely a lot of truth to this, but if he were from one of these countries but had made 90 PL appearances before turning 21, that wouldn't be the case. Success and/or longevity within the league makes a difference in price.

According to my Everton supporting friends Rodwell started twelve out of the first thirteen games before a combination of injuries, David Moyes and that nasty, cheating, diving rat bastard Suarez got him sent off.
Just had a look at the specific stats, only played about 200mins of football this calender year so far. Must have had a long lay-off.

That'd still be 10-15 guys out of ~250. Quite far from being common.

A common suggestion is that his HG status was a key reason which might well be true. Who knows though. If he doesn't pan out, it's not that big of a loss but if he does, it's an inspired signing. Until proven otherwise, I'll believe that anyone claims he's on 100k+ is just bluster by someone who would leave people to believe that everyone from City is (and they aren't).
I agree. But somebody who is worth £15m should be one of those 10 or 15.

But you nailed it, if it doesn't work out, it doesn't matter to City. And that's the crux of the matter really...they can afford to take a £15m hit, because there is no risk attached to it for City.

Of course, if the wages are high it's a problem. There's no way of knowing of course, the Echo's report is interesting because they are typically on the ball with Scouse related stuff...but it does sounds bizzare.

Wessiej

I mean Netherlands or Some Scandinavian country.
Yea, Just look at Tiote and Anita. They seem better than rodwell and cost half as much.

I really want to see if Anita is going to succeed. Guy is 1.65m, light, and that in the fysical PL? Well good luck.

sixghost

He was in the first eleven consistently until the Suarez red, then he had hamstring problems for most of the year. He would have made 30+ appearances had injuries not ruined his season.

GorillaJu

duncan jenkins
‏@duncanjenkinsFC
R.E people telling me rodgers turned #lfc down: they will try again. if B.R gets the job expect a bid for joe allen, heavily scouted last yr

Yeah... he knows his stuff for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom