• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kyoufu

Does Real Madrid have a better player than Nani in his position? I figured he'd want to join his Portuguese buddies there.

A0flWnUCYAIgIBF.jpg

Cold-blooded man, cold-blooded. He actually looks happy though, I'm not gonna go Piers Morgan on the poor guy. Still pains me to be an Arsenal fan right now. Can't wait to hear the news that Song is gone too which feels inevitable

panty

Does Real Madrid have a better player than Nani in his position? I figured he'd want to join his Portuguese buddies there.

Ronaldo plays mainly on the left but occasionally moves to the right and then there's Di Maria and Callejon. No room imo.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Defoe scored like 19 goals last season didn't he?

It's going to be a tough game.

He did, but when he played on his own up front he was pretty much reliant on errors from defenders for him to score (Savic lol). As we saw against Italy, he is capable of pulling something out of his arse but he's not able to really cause problems for two decent CBs. Defoe is a lethal finisher but his body type makes it difficult for him to get into goalscoring positions without a big man drawing defenders away from him, especially away from home. At Loftus Road and Goodison last season, he was utterly invisible.

Is Steven Taylor likely to play? If he's a bit rusty then Defoe might be able to get something out of him.

dc89

Freaking LOL at the only United fan in our office at work.

Me: "what do you think about RVP"

Him: "best but we've made in years. If we had him last season we'd have won the double."

M: "maybe, I think you still need a left back and a CM"

H: "I'm telling you now, we don't need a CM. we've got loads, Carick and Cleverley..."

M: "two?"

H: "doesn't matter. We'll play that Kagawa there. I think we'll play Rooney CM too"

M: "ok whatever you say."

FuturusX

Somethng feels broken about Arsenal right now. I know the doom and gloom soothsayers have predicted their downfall before...but this feels different. Wenger always seems to pull somethng out of his bag. So we'll see...

Freaking LOL at our the only United fan in our office at work.

Me: "what do you think about RVP"

Him: "best but we've made in years. If we had him last season we'd have won the double."

M: "maybe, I think you still need a left back and a CM"

H: "I'm telling you now, we don't need a CM. we've got loads, Carick and Cleverley..."

M: "two?"

H: "doesn't matter. We'll play that Kagawa there. I think we'll play Rooney CM too"

M: "ok whatever you say."
You work in Fergie's office?

MOLE!

Tc91

Man Utd Facebook ‏@MUFC_Facebook
RvP, welcome to the European Headquarters of Trophy. Welcome to house wit rain of trophies.

Also

Nick Coppack ‏@nickcoppack
The no.31 he's wearing in MUTV footage is training top. Players have different training numbers to squad numbers. Scholes 53, for instance

So get the v. Persie number 9 shirts on order!

Kyoufu

He did, but when he played on his own up front he was pretty much reliant on errors from defenders for him to score (Savic lol). As we saw against Italy, he is capable of pulling something out of his arse but he's not able to really cause problems for two decent CBs. Defoe is a lethal finisher but his body type makes it difficult for him to get into goalscoring positions without a big man drawing defenders away from him, especially away from home. At Loftus Road and Goodison last season, he was utterly invisible.

Is Steven Taylor likely to play? If he's a bit rusty then Defoe might be able to get something out of him.

Saylor will most likely be rusty. Colo is pretty slow and Simpson sucks so I really have no faith in our back line. If you guys come at us there will be probably goals for you.

But we have a good midfield and good strikers so if we can dominate possession then it could go either way.

The only worry we have right now is if Ben Arfa and Cabaye will play or not. We really lack any sort of creativity without them.

We really need the win here. lol :(

Zabojnik

If we sign him then we'll have to wait until deadline day. Our owner Mike Ashley is one shrewd businessman who will do whatever it takes to pay the least amount of money possible. We'll have to wait and see what happens. Could happen in January.

Does Juve have any RBs spare? :p

Eh, not really. Lichtsteiner and Isla (Bonita) will be used as RWBs in the 3-5-2. When playing with 4-3-3 Conte will probably use them together. Licht as a RB, Isla as a RW/RF (with Pepe as backup or vice-versa). Then there's Careces, who can play as a RB, RWB or CB. So, no, we're gonna need 'em all. :p

Hm, there's Ziegler. He's a LB, but maybe he could be convinced to switch sides. :D

Arnie

Sahin loan seems to be happening next week.

Whoever he goes to, I don't think he'd be able to play in the first round of fixtures anyway. Read something about any deal needing to be ratified this afternoon in order to qualify. Doubt Assaidi will be eligible for West Brom if that's the case.

Like I said last night though, I'm putting Sahin to the back of my mind. If he comes, great, if he doesn't then it's not a huge issue for me, as I know so little about him and he'd only be a temporary loan.

Arsenal will be fine, I'd be willing to bet. I'd take Cazorla, Podolski, and Giroud over RVP any day. And that isn't disrespecting RVP, I think most people would.

He could be referencing Moyes's stoicism over Baines or maybe the loan/buy-back clause status of Sahin. Odd to just throw that out there, but it's probably a simple innocuous comment.

Since he's openly said it, I think he feels there's more to it than just pining. We're in for one more but it's hit a block.

bud

Sahin loan seems to be happening next week.

doesn't matter what his agent wants, he's going to liverpool:

I also believe that if Mourinho wants Sahin to play under Rodgers next season, Sahin will play at Liverpool, regardless of whether Arsenal up their offer to match Liverpool. Mourinho is Madrid, and Sahin is desperate to prove himself to Mourinho.

3Sixty

Arnie

doesn't matter what his agent wants, he's going to liverpool:

Nothing's really changed though. Sahin wants to go to Arsenal, but Mourinho wants him to go to Liverpool. The whole thing is steeped in mystery at the moment, although we know Arsenal are pushing much harder for it to happen because Song's now been told he can leave.

I'm just glad we tried for him, to be honest. I don't feel we'd be short in midfield if we didn't get him, unlike Arsenal.

Nothing's really changed though. Sahin wants to go to Arsenal, but Mourinho wants him to go to Liverpool. The whole thing is steeped in mystery at the moment, although we know Arsenal are pushing much harder for it to happen because Song's now been told he can leave.

I'm just glad we tried for him, to be honest. I don't feel we'd be short in midfield if we didn't get him, unlike Arsenal.
Not sure they'd be short tbh.

Cazorla, Arteta, Ramsey and Rosicky are a pretty decent set of 4. They have Wilshere to come back too (of course we have to put major doubts over this) but assuming he does that's 5 good midfielders IMO - on a par with Liverpools.

The problem is in DM where you have Lucas and they have Song who looks like he's off. Sahin isn't cover for that position though so he's an equally good signing for both.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much

Cazorla, Arteta, Ramsey and Rosicky are a pretty decent set of 4. They have Wilshere to come back too (of course we have to put major doubts over this) but assuming he does that's 5 good midfielders IMO - on a par with Liverpools.

The problem is in DM where you have Lucas and they have Song who looks like he's off. Sahin isn't cover for that position though so he's an equally good signing for both.

They do have Diaby, Coquelin and Frimpong for that position. I will be surprised if they buy any more first XI players.

pappe

regardless, going to a side without CL football is silly especially when a side WITH CL football is actively trying to sign him up.

Tc91

Fucking hell looking at pictures of him in training can't believe I'm seeing Robin Van Persie in a Manchester United shirt.

Crazy.

Arnie

Cazorla will play further forwards, Wenger isn't like Ferguson, he buys an attacking midfielder to play attacking midfield. With the sale of Song they've lost one of their first choice central players, I know they've got the numbers to make that up, but without adding to the squad they're dropping in quality. And I won't even contemplate Wilshere returning just yet.

I don't disagree that there's matching quality in their midfield, what I'm saying is they need to add to their squad to match the quality they had going into the window, if they sell Song. Liverpool's midfield has progressed since the start of the window. That's my point.

mil6es

seriously this Sahin saga needs to end already, I cant be constantly refreshing my twitter timeline at work all the time.

They do have Diaby, Coquelin and Frimpong for that position. I will be surprised if they buy any more first XI players.
Yep, I just didn't include them because of their perma-crock status...though I guess Wilshere is the same too!

But yeah, I don't think they're short in CM at all. Sahin is a quality above alot of their current players though, but then I think the same applies at Liverpool too.

If they sell Song I think they will go and buy a DM though.

Cazorla will play further forwards, Wenger isn't like Ferguson, he buys an attacking midfielder to play attacking midfield. With the sale of Song they've lost one of their first choice central players, I know they've got the numbers to make that up, but without adding to the squad they're dropping in quality. And I won't even contemplate Wilshere returning just yet.

I don't disagree that there's matching quality in their midfield, what I'm saying is they need to add to their squad to match the quality they had going into the window, if they sell Song. Liverpool's midfield has progressed since the start of the window. That's my point.
I'm guessing Carzorla will play at the front of the midfield in their 4-3-3.

I agree...but they'll only have sold Song from the midfield. Getting Sahin doesn't help in that regard at all really. To replace his quality they have to buy a proper defensive midfield player.

Stubo

Fucking hell looking at pictures of him in training can't believe I'm seeing Robin Van Persie in a Manchester United shirt.

Crazy.
Feels weird. I can't help but feel the displacing of other strikers and the gaping hole at CM are preventing me from fully enjoying it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom