• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

pappe

It makes me so sad-kins to see Chicha get so much criticism here. He had a below-par season last season, but I remember just how much he exceeded expectations in his first. He's had 2 seasons and he's 24. I think he's class and deserves games.

He is the kind of player that doesnt really suit our kind of play. We are used to a striker who can do more than just score tap ins. We are used to a striker who is involved in the build up as well. Chicha cant do that coz he is very limited and that pisses most United fans off. And its incredibly frustrating to see him get caught offside EVERY FUCKING TIME!!!! he just doesnt learn.

A0gZB9vCIAEiGZr.jpg

GQman2121

Banned
He is the kind of player that doesnt really suit our kind of play. We are used to a striker who can do more than just score tap ins. We are used to a striker who is involved in the build up as well. Chicha cant do that coz he is very limited and that pisses most United fans off. And its incredibly frustrating to see him get caught offside EVERY FUCKING TIME!!!! he just doesnt learn.

The Daniel Sturridge autobiography: He just doesn't learn.

Young is a good back-up. On a macro level, he detracts from the flow and variability of our attack. He can't cross, consistently makes poor decisions, inadvertently holds up play with clumsy touches all-too-often and has a one-dimensional tack for dribbling. Yes, he's got a good shot, gets in dangerous positions on occasion, and takes a decent free-kick: overall, Young makes for a fine option against lesser opposition in the league or group stages, but - taking out injuries - he's firmly on the bench for important matches.

Clegg

In the great muppet summer of 2007, we signed Nani, Anderson, Hargreaves, Rafael and Fabio.

This summer we've signed Kagawa, RVP, Powell and maybe Henriquez. This summer trumps 2007 as we've signed two players that can slot straight into the first team. Hargreaves was the only player in 2007 to go straight into the first team.

Zabojnik

I'm in the minority who hates Marotta. I want him gone. All our transfer targets are picked by Conte and only Conte anyway, so there's no more Marotta signings. He failed again at closing many many deals, so why the fuck do we even need him? Because Paratici is too good?

Marotta's great as far as the domestic mercato goes, but has no international cred & pull, that's true. We'll see. Two weeks left.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
"Llorente doesn't want any club that isn't Juventus."

Hasselhoff pls, save it.
Andersons going to sit on Pogba :p

Looking forward to it.

If you're going in with a 4-4-2 you're already dead.

And by dead I mean 0-0 because we can't score for shit. But all your balls are belong to us!!!11

130077.jpg

Zabojnik

I'm genuinely looking forward to it. Used to love Juve - United matches.

Who didn't? And there's always been a lot of respect between the two club's players.

"A couple of years ago I nearly went to Juve. People spoke to me about Turin, and said it is this and it is that, but Milan would be nicer. I said 'I'm not going for the bloody shops; I'm going because it's Juventus." - Roy Keane

Keano <3

I'm in the minority who hates Marotta. I want him gone. All our transfer targets are picked by Conte and only Conte anyway, so there's no more Marotta signings. He failed again at closing many many deals, so why the fuck do we even need him? Because Paratici is too good?

You're insane.

Barzagli, Asamoah, Isla, Sorensen, Storari, Lichtsteiner, Bonucci, Vidal, Pirlo, Vucinic, Pogba, Appelt, Buoy, Taider, Gabbiadini, Leali, Branescu, brought back Giovinco, loaned in Aquilani, Krasic and Quagliarella were unstoppable until the latter got injured... yeah he made some bad moves (Martinez, Elia, Motta) but he did all those things for half of what Secco spent. Look at what a signing Pepe turned out to be last year!

And Paratici and Marotta are a package. Worked at Samp together, moved here together. You can't give all the good to Paratici and the bad to Marotta.

We were never going to outspend City on Aguero and Dzeko. RVP forced the move to United, otherwise Wenger would have preferred selling abroad (i.e. Juve). Fiorentina are being JTs with Jovetic so he'll leave when he's out of contract (maybe not to us, but that's the way it goes). If you think Marotta is the source of our top striker woes then you're dead wrong. He's done, overall, a great job. This top striker stuff is just getting you down.

Sorry Yurt. :(

In the great muppet summer of 2007, we signed Nani, Anderson, Hargreaves, Rafael and Fabio.

This summer we've signed Kagawa, RVP, Powell and maybe Henriquez. This summer trumps 2007 as we've signed two players that can slot straight into the first team. Hargreaves was the only player in 2007 to go straight into the first team.

Hang on. Anderson made 25(13) appearances and Nani 26(15). Hargreaves actually made less.

And Henriquez has said he can't wait to play in the first team in the (likely far-off) future. They're probably wrangling a work permit or something.

Meier

If Roma want £31m, City should just pay the extra £4m. Look at Van Persie -- he wasn't worth £24m given the circumstances but United paid it because they wanted him and he strengthened the squad. £4m is nothing in the grand scheme of things. Get the transfer sorted so he can get here in time for Week 2.

In unrelated news, I was reading an article about a trialist we'll apparently not sign (which is a shame since he looked pretty good!) and it sounds like Guidetti will be out until October due to an injury that has made him lose some sensation in his leg. Not sure if this injury is related to what kept him out of the Euros or not but I imagine he won't be getting loaned out or sold until January now.

http://menmedia.co.uk/manchestereve...ir-biton-left-on-the-side-by-manchester-city?

Zabojnik

Goddamit fade, we're trying to keep a low profile here. You're ruining everything with your sense making!!!

40M&#8364; for De Rossi? Is everybody FUCKING INSANE?!

Wilbur

Banned
Guardian's Ten Exciting Premier League Prospects

1. The Rodgers revolution

Liverpool may need to be patient with Brendan Rodgers. Fully implementing the kind of possession football we saw from his Swansea City side could take a while, maybe even more than a season. Yet the signing of Joe Allen will help in that regard. If Rodgers's methods work, Liverpool will flourish.

2. The arrival of Shinji Kagawa

All the attention at Manchester United will be focused on Robin van Persie, but the Japanese midfielder could prove to be just as influential a signing as the Dutchman. Kagawa scored 17 goals and created 13 for Borussia Dortmund last season. This is one Asian footballer who has not been bought to spike shirt sales.

3. Gylfi Sigurdsson

Losing Luka Modric may not be as much of a blow for Tottenham Hotspur as some fear because in Sigurdsson they have signed a potential star. The Iceland midfielder will not exert as much control as Modric but he is more direct than the Croatian and his shooting ability from long range will delight Tottenham fans.

4. Newcastle's progression

After surprising so many people by challenging for a place in the top four last season, Newcastle United have not been pillaged by bigger clubs and have kept their side together. A young team should get better, although Alan Pardew needs to bolster his squad in order to cope with the demands of the Europa League.

5. No Alex McLeish

When Aston Villa went to Tottenham last season, their wingers were Emile Heskey and Alan Hutton. Heskey and Hutton, McLeish's Ryan Giggs and David Beckham. Paul Lambert should reintroduce old-fashioned values like entertainment and striving to win.

6. The return of Southampton

Life has rarely been simple for Southampton since their relegation from the Premier League under Harry Redknapp seven years ago. They endured administration and a spell in League One but are back now. The Saints might struggle defensively but under Nigel Adkins they will be fun to watch.

7. Watching Sergio Agüero

Foreign players are supposed to take time to adapt to English football. Not Agüero. From the moment he made his debut against Swansea to the moment he won the title for Manchester City with that goal, the Argentinian got it. And the best thing? He's only going to get better. Enjoy.

8. Can Wigan do it again?

Good old Wigan Athletic. Against all the odds, they're still around. Every year, they seem nailed-on to go down and every year, they stay up. There have been few more stylish escape acts than the one they mustered last season. Can Roberto Martínez do it again? Well, he did get Franco Di Santo scoring. Anything's possible.

9. Can Steve Clarke cut it?

Former Chelsea No2s are in vogue – one of them won the Champions League last season. Unfortunately for West Bromwich Albion, Clarke is not about to emulate Roberto Di Matteo but it will be interesting to see whether the challenge of being the manager will be a step too far.

10. A resurgent Fernando Torres

Given that Spain played most of Euro 2012 without a striker, it was amusing that Torres ended up as the tournament's top scorer. Who knows what effect that could have on his form at Chelsea? His well-taken goal in the 3-2 defeat against Manchester City in the Community Shield suggested that he is regaining his old swagger.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
You're insane.

Barzagli, Asamoah, Isla, Sorensen, Storari, Lichtsteiner, Bonucci, Vidal, Pirlo, Vucinic, Pogba, Appelt, Buoy, Taider, Gabbiadini, Leali, Branescu, brought back Giovinco, loaned in Aquilani, Krasic and Quagliarella were unstoppable until the latter got injured... yeah he made some bad moves (Martinez, Elia, Motta) but he did all those things for half of what Secco spent. Look at what a signing Pepe turned out to be last year!

And Paratici and Marotta are a package. Worked at Samp together, moved here together. You can't give all the good to Paratici and the bad to Marotta.

We were never going to outspend City on Aguero and Dzeko. RVP forced the move to United, otherwise Wenger would have preferred selling abroad (i.e. Juve). Fiorentina are being JTs with Jovetic so he'll leave when he's out of contract (maybe not to us, but that's the way it goes). If you think Marotta is the source of our top striker woes then you're dead wrong. He's done, overall, a great job. This top striker stuff is just getting you down.

Sorry Yurt. :(

You're most likely right.

But I dunno, I personally think we got EXTREMELY lucky with Vidal, Pirlo and Pogba (Mino). Let's not compare anyone to Secco please :p Gio was always going to come back, and while I appreciate buying all those promising youngsters, I'd wait on them before I get excited. No one was as promising as Verratti except for Pogba and Leali.

Aguero and the others were possible, but we decided to spend the extra millions on Padoin and Elia. :/ He's not all bad, I admit. But we can't go on pretending he's brilliant, he's not.

K1LLER7

"Llorente doesn't want any club that isn't Juventus."

Hasselhoff pls, save it.

If you're going in with a 4-4-2 you're already dead.

And by dead I mean 0-0 because we can't score for shit. But all your balls are belong to us!!!11
Frogson will plant a seed in Vidal's head of coming to United. He'll play alongside Pettruci (the next Xavi) with there'll be no co-ownership included.

Forget Llorente, buy Berba pls :'{

Clegg

Hang on. Anderson made 25(13) appearances and Nani 26(15). Hargreaves actually made less.

And Henriquez has said he can't wait to play in the first team in the (likely far-off) future. They're probably wrangling a work permit or something.

I worded that wrong. Anderson and Nani were signings for the future. Anderson had a decent first season but Nani was terribly frustrating. Both were bought for their potential. Kagawa and RVP are more for the here and now. RVP is already a world class striker and Kagawa a very good attacking midfielder.

Frogson will plant a seed in Vidal's head of coming to United. He'll play alongside Pettruci (the next Xavi) with there'll be no co-ownership included.

Forget Llorente, buy Berba pls :'{

Sure. We'll swap Berba for Krasic OH WAIT TOO FUCKING LATE SHIT HEADS WHERE WERE YOU?

Mumei

From Oliver Kay at the times. This little boy?

A0gNXzsCAAAH3yG.jpg

I had no idea about the situation and I assumed his comments earlier about the little boy inside of him screaming Man U was a bit of trolling... and then this picture shows up.

I hope he is. The reaction to his comments is certainly amusing enough.

Zabojnik

I know transfer silly season makes Juventus fans go insane since we can't buy anyone we want any more, but low profile? Cazzo... non ti dimentica! Noi non siamo Fiorentina!

You're right, of course. So be it. UN SOLO GRIDO PARTE A RAZZO, VOGLIAMO JOVETI&#262; DAI CAZZOOO!!! NE FICA NE CAZZO, VOGLIO SOLO IL PAZZO!!!!

Meier

The Mail are reporting Micah will be out for 10 weeks now rather than roughly a month. :\ The injury looked pretty terrible at the time, so I'm not surprised.. the fact it's his ankle is surprising though. I thought he'd get a separated shoulder or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom