• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Mastadon

Banned
So it's the start of the season tomorrow and my lovely wife has decided to volunteer my services helping her mum move house at 3pm.

Anyone know any good divorce lawyers?

Arnie

No worries bud, thought it was worth a shout! I'm just glad I got the bit about you being from Preston right and that I didn't just make that up.
I'm Neogaf's resident Preston correspondent.
So it's the start of the season tomorrow and my lovely wife has decided to volunteer my services helping her mum move house at 3pm.

Jesus wept.

Don't even know how I'd cope with that.

Meier

This hit me a lot harder than the RVP news.
But hey,it's happened before and we dealt with it and it'll surely happen again and we'll deal with it then too.

I'm not sure why so many people think these players will or should be loyal to coaches/managers. It's a business. I'm sure they're grateful to them for taking a chance on them, but it's not like this is a one-way street. These managers buy players to help save their jobs.. they're just as reliant on the players.

9 times out of 10, a manager will leave in a heartbeat if something better comes along. Why wouldn't a player do the same? Obviously that doesn't necessarily apply in Wenger's case at Arsenal but it did at his previous managerial stops.

deroli

did gladbach buy anyone to replace reus?

Well, they bought De Jong as the clubs record transfer for 12 million euros. Mlapa is another new striker, a young German that could not make his breakthrough in Hoppenheim.

Gladbach seems to be one of the most interesting sides in the upcoming bundesliga season. They lost two other important players (Dante and Neustädter) but also bought Xhaka from Basel and Dominguez from Athletico Madrid, two very promising signings.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Juve fans are all lawyers, pick one. It's kinda like how all United fans are investment bankers!
I don't know if I made a prediction here, but I said third elsewhere!
I jokingly predicted a scudetto quite a few times IRL :p To be fair, Conte's 4-2-4 with Pirlo was a disaster waiting to happen. And combined with our preseason form, even 3rd was generous.
This years everybody's expecting Roma to finish outside the top 3. This can only mean one thing. Zeman ... scudetto. #DestroBalzarettiFuture
I'll slit my wrists with a machete.

sneaky77

So I read a few articles saying that bayern officials stating that the 40m for Martinez won't be a problem to pay but still not paying. So pay the clause take the traitor and lets all move on. Season starts in two days and this distractions are annoying

Settled with this:
7wI3y.png

just to use up the wildcard and completely change my team once Nuri is available.

Messi

Dani Alves said:
 ”[Suggesting that the team would fall apart] was our strategy for making sure that Guardiola would stay. But it obviously didn’t work in the end.

“With Tito we are training in the same system which makes us all feel comfortable. Guardiola could not have left us in better hands to ensure the continuity of the project.”

– FC Barcelona defender Dani Alves in a press conference on Friday

I love Alves sometimes.

So I read a few articles saying that bayern officials stating that the 40m for Martinez won't be a problem to pay but still not paying. So pay the clause take the traitor and lets all move on. Season starts in two days and this distractions are annoying

They are paying it.

They just say Martinez agreed to take 10m less in wages over the five years to let it seem cheaper. In reality, the probably just offered him 2m a year more than they wanted to pay him.

I'm not sure why so many people think these players will or should be loyal to coaches/managers. It's a business. I'm sure they're grateful to them for taking a chance on them, but it's not like this is a one-way street. These managers buy players to help save their jobs.. they're just as reliant on the players.

9 times out of 10, a manager will leave in a heartbeat if something better comes along. Why wouldn't a player do the same? Obviously that doesn't necessarily apply in Wenger's case at Arsenal but it did at his previous managerial stops.

True enough. It's the relationships that are created week in and week out though and that makes it harder to accept when they do leave, so basically we just have to realise that our relationship with the players are usually different from their relationship to us.

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
so beIn has la liga, ligue 1, serie A, SA WC qualifiers and are looking into buying english premiership rights?

damn...

So apparently we only bid 15 million for Nani. Why even bother since there's no way they sell for that much. Especially after Anzhi ruined the reputation of Russian clubs. Now everyone thinks they can rip us off. Probably the reason why we signed nobody so far.

Just popped on and looked like no action was taking place.

Does anyone have a link to that EPL which team to follow chart? I thought I bookmark'd it but evidently not.

I wonder if anyone has created a Serie A one yet...

Hixx

Just popped on and looked like no action was taking place.

Does anyone have a link to that EPL which team to follow chart? I thought I bookmark'd it but evidently not.

I wonder if anyone has created a Serie A one yet...

All roads lead to Sunderland.

You filthy Mag.

All roads lead to Sunderland.

You filthy Mag.

To be fair if Sunderland had a black and white kit I'd probably be tempted to support them. :p

I'm a neutral as far as English football goes, at the moment. I can be bribed, as I've said before.

Edit: Same. There are a bunch of teams I know I don't want to support, though :p

Meier

I'm sure beIN will be added to more and more operators, especially if they get the PL. These companies know they'll lose subscribers to their sports packages unless they stay competitive.

Fox Soccer is probably shitting their pants.

Yurt

il capo silenzioso
Athletic fans shout abuse at Llorente and Martínez in training: "Mercenaries Out" their banner reads
Agreed. Llorente is a fucking disgrace, just fuck off to Italy where you belong.

Well... we know he's going somewhere now.

Other than Juventus, who else is reportedly in? Arsenal? I also heard Tottenham but if he said he wants Champions League...

It would be really nice if I had an EPL team to follow but I can't seem to find one to really care for.

Support Arsenal, You get to be a gooner with these powerful incentives:

PRO:

1:Think we're challengers for the title for most of the season.
2:Develop amazing players
3:We bring comedy to the premiership in the form of defensive errors and allowing comebacks.
4:Wenger is very GIF friendly
5:We play beautiful football.

CON:

1:We're not challengers really.
2:They leave as soon as they become amazing or another club realises they are amazing.
3:Seriously look at YouTube.
4:Usually going mental at a fuck up or arguing with officials/another manager.
5:We also play dead boring when the players decide they're not up for it.

G17

You say it's a business but that doesn't stop fans from wanting loyalty and gratitude in players. He has three years left in his contract, dismissing his reported behaviour as "It's a business" isn't easy when that's the case. I just don't understand why he essentially is refusing to play with 3 years left. In this case it's not "a business" it's unprofessional and ungrateful.

Managers do get a lot of flak whenever the board/owners want them to stay and they offer to resign.

GQman2121

Banned
Well... we know he's going somewhere now.

Other than Juventus, who else is reportedly in? Arsenal? I also heard Tottenham but if he said he wants Champions League...

I expect the usual suspect will popup in the rumors if the asking price is right. They'll take £15-18m for him, correct?

Hell, I'm sure if we don't put at least two pass Wigan on Sunday, and there's not movement on are other rumored targets, we'll probably be right in the mix.

Support Arsenal, You get to be a gooner with these powerful incentives:

PRO:

1:Think we're challengers for the title for most of the season.
2:Develop amazing players
3:We bring comedy to the premiership in the form of defensive errors and allowing comebacks.
4:Wenger is very GIF friendly
5:We play beautiful football.

CON:

1:We're not challengers really.
2:They leave as soon as they become amazing or another club realises they are amazing.
3:Seriously look at YouTube.
4:Usually going mental at a fuck up or arguing with officials/another manager.
5:We also play dead boring when the players decide they're not up for it.

CON: you guys made Arshavin fat and useless. I still remember the good old days.

Meier

You say it's a business but that doesn't stop fans from wanting loyalty and gratitude in players. He has three years left in his contract, dismissing his reported behaviour as "It's a business" isn't easy when that's the case. I just don't understand why he essentially is refusing to play with 3 years left. In this case it's not "a business" it's unprofessional and ungrateful.

Managers do get a lot of flak whenever the board/owners want them to stay and they offer to resign.

Oh yeah, I completely disagree with Song's reported behavior.. obviously unacceptable. I just don't get the concept that a player should be loyal to his manager. He should honor his contract before loyalty comes into the equation.

If a better and more lucrative offer surfaces, he should take it. It's his livelihood. The fans have every right to hate him for it too.. trust me, as an Orlando Magic fan, I am used to this. :(

Emhemed

Fans may wish their players to be loyal but they shouldn't demand it. When players like RVP and Nasri didn't want to renew they are mercenaries and when someone else got some years in their contract left they become unprofessional ? where is the line ?

ManUtd Stuff ‏@ManUtdStuff
Evra on Scholes come-back: “I said I wish you were playing, he smiled, showed us his shirt, everyone screamed, I said ‘Oh Scholesy thanks’.”

Evra's a proper JT sometimes but damn is he in tune with the fans more often than not <3

jtb

Banned
Fans may wish their players to be loyal but they shouldn't demand it. When players like RVP and Nasri didn't want to renew they are mercenaries and when someone else got some years in their contract left they become unprofessional ? where is the line ?

There's nothing wrong with what RVP and Nasri did (okay, RVP was a bit of a dick with his little online tantrum which forced him to be sold... I'm sure Nasri would have been fine seeing out his contract and leaving on a free); in fact, I'd argue that's on Wenger for not renewing their contracts sooner. But it's still holding the club hostage and that's not behavior that's ever going to endear yourself to the fans.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom