• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumhead

Banned
Cardiff 1-0 Huddersfield

What a dog shit match. Nothing to fear from this league if that's the standard and Cardiff are one of the alleged frontrunners.

Clegg

Was looking at a few United vids from the mid 00's. It was noticeable how many times Forlan scored some absolute crackers. I know he was considered a flop at United but imo he was a victim of circumstance.

Yes, he went 27 games before he scored his first goal but he was only a young guy in a new country, playing for a huge side. He was also behind Van Nistelrooy and there was no way he was going to displace him. Its a shame it didn't work out for him at United as he would go on to be a brilliant striker at Villarreal and Atletico. Best player at the 2010 World Cup imo and was a world class striker at his very best.

Emhemed

There's nothing wrong with what RVP and Nasri did (okay, RVP was a bit of a dick with his little online tantrum); in fact, I'd argue that's on Wenger for not renewing their contracts sooner. But it's still holding the club hostage and that's not behavior that's ever going to endear yourself to the fans.

Yeah I agree with you, RVP shouldn't have made that statement It was always going to make things worse but I guess giving Arsenal's situation it's understandable If any of their players leave the fans will always be angry towards them.

Stubo

Was looking at a few United vids from the mid 00's. It was noticeable how many times Forlan scored some absolute crackers. I know he was considered a flop at United but imo he was a victim of circumstance.

Yes, he went 27 games before he scored his first goal but he was only a young guy in a new country, playing for a huge side. He was also behind Van Nistelrooy and there was no way he was going to displace him. Its a shame it didn't work out for him at United as he would go on to be a brilliant striker at Villarreal and Atletico. Best player at the 2010 World Cup imo and was a world class striker at his very best.
A destiny Bebe will no doubt also follow.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
Cardiff 1-0 Huddersfield

What a dog shit match. Nothing to fear from this league if that's the standard and Cardiff are one of the alleged frontrunners.

I enjoyed it up until the end (obviously).

Think we (Town) were generally the better side, just one bloody jammy moment from Cardiff took it away.
If anything I think it was a good sign of things to come for us, we did play well in the friendly at home to Barca B last week as well, though we lost 2-0 the play between the players and some of the runs were fantastic.

May have lost tonight but I have better hopes for the season now.

Am I just being stupid here? I'm trying to enter the fantasy league so I quoted the second post and got the password but where's the link for the actual league?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member

Bumhead

Banned
I enjoyed it up until the end (obviously).

Think we (Town) were generally the better side, just one bloody jammy moment from Cardiff took it away.
If anything I think it was a good sign of things to come for us, we did play well in the friendly at home to Barca B last week as well, though we lost 2-0 the play between the players and some of the runs were fantastic.

May have lost tonight but I have better hopes for the season now.

I agree to be honest. Huddersfield edged it and looked far, far better than they did both in the play-off final and several matches in the final stages of last season (from what I saw). Was Rhodes injured or is he having talks with Blackburn? I've heard rumours of both but not sure either way. Clearly, he's still going to be central to a lot of what happens with you guys.

My point about the quality of the division was aimed much more at Cardiff, to be honest. I don't think neither us nor Huddersfield have much to worry about if Cardiff are thought to be one of the better sides in that league. Was surprised by how little pace and creativity they seemed to have going forward.

We've been linked with Ross Barkley from Everton now, on loan. Blimey, I'd take that.

Cindres

Vied for a tag related to cocks, so here it is.
I agree to be honest. Huddersfield edged it and looked far, far better than they did both in the play-off final and several matches in the final stages of last season (from what I saw). Was Rhodes injured or is he having talks with Blackburn? I've heard rumours of both but not sure either way. Clearly, he's still going to be central to a lot of what happens with you guys.

My point about the quality of the division was aimed much more at Cardiff, to be honest. I don't think neither us nor Huddersfield have much to worry about if Cardiff are thought to be one of the better sides in that league. Was surprised by how little pace and creativity they seemed to have going forward.

We've been linked with Ross Barkley from Everton now, on loan. Blimey, I'd take that.

Rhodes is out for a week due to a "tight hamstring" after the Scotland game. HOPEFULLY will be back for the forrest game on Tuesday according to Grayson but I get the feeling he'll be rested for that too by the sounds of it.

I'd definitely like to have faith in what you're saying, all the more hope to do well this season.

Fry

'Bayern Munich and Javi Martinez have agreed on a five-year contract, which should be signed next week, according to "Bild".'

Bumhead

Banned
I did think all 3 promoted sides would do well this season but I'm not so sure about Charlton. Their financial backing seems to have disappeared and I don't think they've signed a single player this summer. They were incredibly efficient last season but not sure how far that will get them this season.

Arnie

Liverpool fans - Pep Segura has quit according to Tony Barrett.

Wasn't he very involved with the youth set-up?

Academy director.

I assume the club don't feel a need for that now that there's a recognised style ready to be implemented top to bottom through the club. Rodolfo Borrell is the actual hands on member of the youth staff, coaching the reserves.

Arnie

vzgoY.jpg

Clegg

:(

Am I missing out on a lot, then?

The Spanish league has the two best teams in the world, Barcelona and Real Madrid. Every single season these teams dominate the league. They are phenomenal teams to watch but the league has become very boring as a result. You know which two teams will always be vying for the title come the end of the season.

IMO the two best leagues to watch are the Premier League and the Bundesliga(German League)

Mumei

The Spanish league has the two best teams in the world, Barcelona and Real Madrid. Every single season these teams dominate the league. They are phenomenal teams to watch but the league has become very boring as a result. You know which two teams will always be vying for the title come the end of the season.

IMO the two best leagues to watch are the Premier League and the Bundesliga(German League)

I don't suppose there's a (legit <_<) way of catching the inevitable match between Barcelona and Real Madrid, then?

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Have Everton signed Kevin Mirallas yet? He was nailed on for a move there the other day and was apparently due for a medical but nothing has materialised.

I think the latest news was that his medical will be over the weekend and the deal is for 6 million. Nothing had happened during the week and I think it was delayed due to the Belgium friendly.

But I'm American. :(

There are a good amount of bars in the country that show football. Where do you live?

elsk

Banned
Just watch the Champions League, that should be in basic cable. It's the best football tournament in the world.

The first matches will be played this Tuesday.

Mumei

Just watch the Champions League, that should be in basic cable. It's the best football tournament in the world.

Perhaps. I already have three or four matches of the Premier League ready to record. I'll have to see about that.

sazabirules

Unconfirmed Member
Hah.

I actually just don't really go to bars, even if it were possible to catch the match there. I don't drink and I despise smoking (which they allow in bars here).

I live in Indianapolis. But as I said, I have a fair bit of antipathy towards the environment.

http://www.unionjackpub-broadripple.com/

Smoke free bar from a quick google search. I'm sure you can ask them if they will get beIN sport.

Fox Soccer and ESPN get a good amount of EPL matches if you just want to settle for that.

Meier

The Champions League is actually NOT on basic cable in the US. It's on Fox Soccer Channel which is essentially only available to Digital Cable subs w/ a sports package (usually another $6-$10) a month. The final is on Fox proper but everything before that is on FSC or FSC Plus (usually included in the same sports package).

Perhaps. I already have three or four matches of the Premier League ready to record. I'll have to see about that.

Obviously you're just flirting with the game at this point but what's the criteria for you to eventually pick a team? Entertainment, history, glory etc etc?

Labadal

Salomon Kalou scored today! Lille still didn't win.

Barcelona B 4 - 5 Almeria

The kid we were linked with scored 3 goals.

Liverpool will win 1-2 after 2 goals from Gerrard.

Mumei

Obviously you're just flirting with the game at this point but what's the criteria for you to eventually pick a team? Entertainment, history, glory etc etc?

I was talking to a friend of mine yesterday from another board (... though he does belong to this board now), and I said my understanding was that most of the appeal of the game comes from having an understanding of the flow of the game and being able to see the complexities of the the flow of the game and essentially vying for (positional) control, and less so about scoring - though given the relative scarcity of scoring compared to some games, it obviously would heighten the excitement when the game is at a point where it is possible to score because of that same scarcity.

So I guess with that in mind I am hoping that when I start watching I'll eventually get an intuitive sense of the flow of the game, and eventually I'll see teams whose general play style speaks to me. So I guess entertainment, but I'm not sure what I will find entertaining.

For all I know, I might just latch onto a star player on support their team for the fact that they are on it. I know I did that when I used to watch Proleague (StarCraft: BW in SK).

Also cute guys

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom