• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carbonox

1. Manchester United
2. Manchester City
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Liverpool
6. Newcastle
7. Tottenham

------

18. QPR
19. West Ham
20. Reading

Wilbur

Banned
Really now...
You know that Siena starts with -6 points, Atalanta -2, and Sampdoria and Torino both have a 1 point deduction. Well, Torino had a pretty good preseason with a few big victories such as beating Lazio 3-0. Hopefully, we get our preseason form into our match against Lecce tomorrow.

I'm a little uneducated on Serie A but over the course of the season 6 points can cancel itself out fairly quickly

MPW

A0gHKXpCYAANmy0-580x433.jpg

A0gHY6cCcAA6YNk-580x433.jpg

nice!!!

Kyoufu

1. Man City
2. Man Utd
3. Arsenal
4. Chelsea
5. Newcastle
6. Liverpool

Capital One Cup: some Championship team

FA Cup: some Premiership team

Champions League: Barcelona

Europa League: WHO THE FUCK CARES

Wilbur

Banned

FA Cup: some Premiership team

Champions League: Barcelona

Europa League: WHO THE FUCK CARES

Remember the other day when you maligned people for not understanding your tongue in cheek posts?

This is why. You're like Lunchbox but with capital letters!

Atalanta won't go down. They're plucky and have proven their strength against adversary.

Pescara goes.
Siena goes.

How you can celebrate a victory over Lazio as proof of your security is beyond me. The team is in shambles.

Between Torino and Chievo? It's tough.

I think, honestly, you'll be fighting with Chievo and Siena for safety until the end. I think you might be safe so long as Gillet and Ogbonna keep enough goals out of your net. Rolando Bianchi, forgetting that incredible Reggina season with Nicola Amoruso, is a fairly average striker. Still, I think the fall of Chievo and the return of Hellas to Serie A is a foregone conclusion at this point. You'll make it, probably, but I wouldn't bet my house on it.

Fry

1. Man Utd
2. Man City
3. Tottenham
4. Liverpool
5. Arsenal
6. Chelsea

FA Cup: Chelsea

Champions League: Bayern Munich (BELIEVE)

Europa League: Man City :lol

Arnie

Song's not irreplaceable, but he's a really good midfielder. Surely, with close to £45 million in spare change, Arsenal will make a couple of quality signings before the window shuts, regardless of if they get Sahin in (because he's not the same sort of player as Song).

Arsenal have a real opportunity here to have a club defining transfer window. They've already done fantastically to get their attacking trio in, with a couple of defensive signings they could challenge, in my opinion. They came 3rd last year relying on the super human form of a single player, really.

I've learnt not to underestimate Wenger.

Zabojnik

Erm, we don't have Caceres. He'll be out for months :(

Um, he should be back in september? Unless you know something I don't. They were saying 30-45 days almost a month ago.

Last season everyone here expected Juve to finish outside the top 3.

This years everybody's expecting Roma to finish outside the top 3. This can only mean one thing. Zeman ... scudetto. #DestroBalzarettiFuture

Can't believe how Dempsey is behaving.

Also, apparently he has said he wants to leave for CL football. So which CL club wants him? Unless he means he wants to go to L'Pool and then hope to get into the CL.

Arnie

Can't believe how Dempsey is behaving.

Also, apparently he has said he wants to leave for CL football. So which CL club wants him? Unless he means he wants to go to L'Pool and then hope to get into the CL.
It still isn't as bad as your new hero, in fairness.
Who else, besides Sahin, is AFC interested in? They can't be thinking of another striker...
There was a defensive midfielder on their radar, who I've since forgotten the name of, but reading The Times this morning it implied that Sahin was a replacement for this mystery figure, not in addition to.

If Assaidi told us anything though, it's that transfers and targets can remain hidden up until the point of completion, so just because Arsenal aren't being linked about the place with hundreds of different names, doesn't mean they aren't looking.

Surely defensive cover is being sounded out. Surely.

Arnie

It's entertaining to watch that montage of clips from the RVP presser on the BBC, if just to look at Frogson shuffling about all the time.

ATF487

Fucking twitter bollocks, I would have been OK with Sahin not signing if I didn't have constant updates about how close the deal was

Arnie

Fucking twitter bollocks, I would have been OK with Sahin not signing if I didn't have constant updates about how close the deal was

Eh, I've removed myself from the entire discussion since getting over excited the other day. If he signs, great, if he doesn't, then it's not a massive loss. Our midfield is still decent regardless of whether he arrives or not. Obviously he'd improve nearly any team, but it's not panic stations if we don't get him. Considering the positions we've been in for the past couple of years, just the simple task of going after him is reassuring.

Mick McCarthy as a pundit on MoTD this season. My prayers have been answered.

Honestly can't wait. The highlight of that Premier League preview on 5Live last night was when he said, "that little fat man in UEFA", or something.

It still isn't as bad as your new hero, in fairness.
Don't think it's as bad at all tbh.

Reckon RVP would have stayed quite professional and continued to play for Arsenal if asked.

To refuse to play full stop...pretty poor.

But maybe you weren't being serious..?

Arnie

Don't think it's as bad at all tbh.

Reckon RVP would have stayed quite professional and continued to play for Arsenal if asked.

To refuse to play full stop...pretty poor.

But maybe you weren't being serious..?

Whether Van Persie would've 'stayed quite professional' or not is highly subjective, but when he released his statement it's abundantly clear that he had no intention to. Verbally agreeing to join United some time ago, as the rumours suggested, is also a very poor thing for the captain of a club like Arsenal to be doing.

And you're forgetting the biggest argument here, Van Persie was at Arsenal, a club who'd spent over £40 million in the transfer market this window, who came third in the league last season. Dempsey's a really good player, coming off the best season of his career (like RVP), yet he's stuck at Fulham.

You're setting a huge double standard.

And by the way, for what it's worth, in case I'm accused, Liverpool aren't even interested in signing him anymore.

Whether Van Persie would've 'stayed quite professional' or not is highly subjective, but when he released his statement it's abundantly clear that he had no intention to. Verbally agreeing to join United some time ago, as the rumours suggested, is also a very poor thing for the captain of a club like Arsenal to be doing.

And you're forgetting the biggest argument here, Van Persie was at Arsenal, a club who'd spent over £40 million in the transfer market this window, who came third in the league last season. Dempsey's a really good player, coming off the best season of his career (like RVP), yet he's stuck at Fulham.

You're setting a huge double standard.
Can't see it myself.

RVP's statement that he put out was pretty poor, as I said at the time - he should have just said he wanted to leave or that he wouldn't renew, and that's it.

Whether he agreed to join us months before, weeks before or not, I have no idea. I expect he was in contact with us before the fee was agreed though, definitely...almost every transfer is done that way nowadays.

Yet he's stuck at Fulham? Just like RVP is stuck at Arsenal. That's a double standard right there...they both want better things, fair enough. I'm not saying Dempsey shouldn't want out, I can see why he does. Can you seriously not see why RVP wanted to leave Arsenal?

I think refusing to honour your contract...in any job, is just pathetic really. I don't think Van Persie would have done that personally (though I could be wrong, we'll never know), and I'm pretty amazed Dempsey is doing it now.

Reckon RVP could have handled his departure from Arsenal in a better way, for sure. No way do I think Dempsey is behaving in a better way though, no chance.

---

DDR close to joining City it seems.

Arnie

Can't see it myself.

RVP's statement that he put out was pretty poor, as I said at the time - he should have just said he wanted to leave or that he wouldn't renew, and that's it.

Whether he agreed to join us months before, weeks before or not, I have no idea. I expect he was in contact with us before the fee was agreed though, definitely...almost every transfer is done that way nowadays.

Yet he's stuck at Fulham? Just like RVP is stuck at Arsenal. That's a double standard right there...they both want better things, fair enough. I'm not saying Dempsey shouldn't want out, I can see why he does. Can you seriously not see why RVP wanted to leave Arsenal?

I think refusing to honour your contract...in any job, is just pathetic really. I don't think Van Persie would have done that personally (though I could be wrong, we'll never know), and I'm pretty amazed Dempsey is doing it now.

Reckon RVP could have handled his departure from Arsenal in a better way, for sure. No way do I think Dempsey is behaving in a better way though, no chance.

---

DDR close to joining City it seems.

Well Dempsey just tweeted about there being two sides to every story, so I'll assume it's not as clear cut as flat out refusing to play. Regardless, I can see him playing for Fulham again because I don't know where he's going to go, unless Arsenal go in for him. Apparently his wage demands were too bloated for us.

And I disagree about Van Persie, I don't think it's fair to treat him any better than you would Dempsey, because the statement he released pretty much tore the remaining time on his contract to pieces, and he knew that when he released it. The exact manner in which the two have behaved is different, sure, but the intentions were both the same.

And to clarify, I'm not defending Dempsey, but anything he's guilty of, RVP is too. Perhaps Dempsey should invent some fictional little boy that lives inside of him and randomly screams the names of rivalling football teams.

Bumhead

Banned
We've signed Danny Mayor from Preston. Quick winger, apparently.

Arnie, you're from Preston originally aren't you? Know anything about him?

I'm so fucking hyped for tomorrow. Pub for half 8 for some breakfast and then the day begins. 6000 Owls at Derby, going to be an absolutely cracking atmosphere, hopefully kick the season off with 3 points, FOOTBALLS BACK BABY YEAAAAAH

Meier

I don't know why Spurs don't make a bid for Dempsey. The guy scores goals and they desperately need a striker and/or will need a new attacking midfielder when the Modric deal is confirmed. He's already done well playing in London for years.. seems like a perfect fit.

Arnie

We've signed Danny Mayor from Preston. Quick winger, apparently.

Arnie, you're from Preston originally aren't you? Know anything about him?

I'm so fucking hyped for tomorrow. Pub for half 8 for some breakfast and then the day begins. 6000 Owls at Derby, going to be an absolutely cracking atmosphere, hopefully kick the season off with 3 points, FOOTBALLS BACK BABY YEAAAAAH

I am, but I apologise, I know absolutely nothing about him. Really don't follow North End.

I can't wait for tomorrow, hopefully we can beat West Brom and then I can sit back and relax in front of the game of the day, Newcastle versus Spurs.

I don't know why Spurs don't make a bid for Dempsey. The guy scores goals and they desperately need a striker and/or will need a new attacking midfielder when the Modric deal is confirmed. He's already done well playing in London for years.. seems like a perfect fit.

Would be a perfect fit.

Fry

http://www.thenational.ae/sport/foo...nking-of-allowing-alex-song-to-depart-arsenal

Nuri Sahin has informed Real Madrid that his preference for a season-long loan to an English Premier League club would be to join Arsenal ahead of Liverpool or Tottenham Hotspur. Such a deal, however, hinges on the London club's decision on the future of Alex Song.

As revealed by The National one week ago, Song has already agreed personal terms with Barcelona who believe they will be able to negotiate the Cameroon midfielder's transfer from Arsenal for a maximum of €18 million (Dh81m). Barca's sporting director Andoni Zubizaretta has been involved in discussion over a fee, though Arsene Wenger claims that an official bid has yet to be made

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom