• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuturusX

There's nothing you can really do about that as a manager though - you would always expect teams to struggle with 10 men and then adding in the 2 wrong penalties, Liverpool just had no chance.

Struggling and giving up...are two different things. Liverpool players have to learn how to fight.

The next Drogba tag he got is not doing him any good. But at the age he is in right now, it must be remembered that Drogba was running around in France barely even able to get first team football. I still have hope for him.

It's a ridiculous tag to give to an 18 years old kid. He's got the physical potential but he's still a very rough "diamond". The move to Chelsea happened too early but Anderlecht were desperate for big money. Hopefully he'll progress more at WBA, more playtime, less pressure. He's looked decent so far today.

sohois

This is the problem with Liverpool. This mentality.

Liverpool's mentality didn't cause the red card or 2 penalties. Had the game remained the same as at half-time and fans been bitching about 'wonder goals always beating us' you would have a point, but you just can't do anything about poor reffing.

Where did people think Liverpool would finish? The Koptimism cycle has been condensed from 5 months into about 2 hours.

I thought 5th/6th. There's nothing in the squad that suggests they should do better than that.

Did Downing or Borini do anything at all today?

Liverpool's mentality didn't cause the red card or 2 penalties. Had the game remained the same as at half-time and fans been bitching about 'wonder goals always beating us' you would have a point, but you just can't do anything about poor reffing.

You're right. Liverpool's poor defence and anaemic offence are the problem.

edit: FULHAM! lol @ Dempsey

Reading 1-1 Stoke

untitled-253pds7.gif

RaGe_pt

Two wrong penalties? The penalties were good calls in my opinion. Agger pushed Long and Skrtel was sleeping with the ball and tackled Long. Both good calls.

Arnie

I think both penalties were correct decisions by the letter of the law, but I also think both were extremely unfortunate, cruelly so. Especially the Skrtel one; there's literally nothing he could've done about it, and he didn't even make a challenge (he went to play the ball which Long nicked), yet it's a penalty.

Needs to be noted that we had a clear chance to take the lead in the first half, and squandered once again. Reaction needed against City.

Liverpool should be playing a lot better.

Simple as.

It's day one it's fine it's a bad loss. But it isn't beause Lpool were unlucky or screwed by the ref. Its cos they were not good enough.

I expect Rodgers will know that. He'll need to.

flyover

Don't panic, it's the first game.

Bad games happen, it's how you react to them, I'm pretty sure that'll be Rodgers message. We've forfeited 3 points here, but that's it.

Yeah, I agree. One match wouldn't worry me too much for Liverpool. I mean, it's not good! But you have to look for patterns over the course of several matches. I wouldn't be surprised at all if, in the end, they have a successful season (by internal standards, if not all the fans').

Facism

Gold Member
This was like a terrible first shag for liverpool. Blood on the sheets and a promise to never let a man into her bedroom again,

Brilliant. And Carragher against City. We're not going to win any of our first 5.

Suarez, Reina and Johnson played well, Suarez's finishing has somehow declined over the summer. Agger and Skrtel played stupidly.

sohois

What makes the penalties bad decisions is the lack of equality. Had Dowd been equal to both teams Liverpool would also have been in line for several penalties and WBA would have had a hot of cards. Yet in the end they had 0 yellow cards.

I don't think either were penalties - Dowd had been buying everything Long sold all game. He's a bit of a shit ref.

However, Liverpool were easily the second best team today and didn't deserve anything from the match.

My only 'knee-jerk reaction' after this game: I don't think the Suarez alone experiment ever going to work. He needs another player to create space for him.

sohois

Liverpool should be playing a lot better.

Simple as.

It's day one it's fine it's a bad loss. But it isn't beause Lpool were unlucky or screwed by the ref. Its cos they were not good enough.

I expect Rodgers will know that. He'll need to.

I just dont think one can make that argument when the team is cut down to ten men, no team is going to play to their potential when that happens.

GorillaJu

We didn't play really well and despite the majority of possession I don't think we were the better team.

But the ref was horribly inconsistent and that's worth mentioning on its own merit. Both penalties on Liverpool were as harsh as they come, while Fabio Borini was clobbered in the box by Olsson on the other end and no foul or penalty was given there.

Dowd was a joke with the lack of West Brom bookings, but I think both penalties and the red were correct, although I'll have to watch the Agger incident again for a clearer opinion on the 1st penaty and red card. I'd like to see a rule change though, as a penalty is a very harsh punishment for what Skrtel did. Long should have been booked for diving as well btw

bud

this is the first time i've seen giroud play and he looks very... stiff. and sssslllooooowwww. he won't be of much use outside of the box. and if he doesn't score any goals, he'll be as useless as walcott.

he should've scored, though. that was a fantastic through pass from cazorla who was the best man on the pitch (which wasn't that hard to achieve today).

I just dont think one can make that argument when the team is cut down to ten men, no team is going to play to their potential when that happens.

But you laid down and died in spectacular fashion.

Other, better clubs do not react that way. In fact, the way you capitulated almost reminded me of us versus City last year. You lost your heads and lost your shape.

Rodgers will have to sort out Carroll's situation quickly. He looks overly frustrated, might pick a stupid booking or even worse each time he plays. All the progress/confidence he gathered at the end of last season/during the Euros seems gone. Not to mention he doesn't seem to fit in Rodgers' tactics.

Borini will have to step it up because goalscoring duties will lie on his and Suarez's shoulders. Unless Cavani or Falcao joins.

Scum

I know it's the first day of the season, but I'm changing my Top 4 prediction:

1. Fulham
2. Swansea
3. West Brom
4. West Ham

FFMmr.gif

Bloody good start, Fulham & Swansea.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom