• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

MPW

I'm really happy for Michael Laudrup. Congrats baby
M7sQP.gif
M7sQP.gif
M7sQP.gif

top guy

he was doing analysis for sky sports la liga games last year, dude is full of knowledge and class

wouldn't mind him being madrid's manager one day

FuturusX

Trying to convince my 5 year old boy to support Liverpool...do I risk child abuse accusations? His favourite colour is blue...and thus only likes blue teams. If he becomes a Chelsea fan I'll disown him...

The penalties were unfortunate, I'm less bothered by the second than the first.. skrtel was asleep / naive for the second, he should have been sharper - but agger was very hard done by, it was a bought penalty, barely any contact at all.

Couple of things didn't work today: Johnson on the left has been awful, really poor distribution. Borini was inconsequential in the first half and not much better in the second. Putting Caroll on at 3-0, at a lower priority than Joe Cole is an insult, he should have been on sooner. Gerrard didn't have a good game either tbh.

Allen looks good, much better in dead ball situations than Charlie Adam, who I was glad not to see.

Just one of those days, get Enrique back in there, try sterling or something when attacking options are lacking, give poor Carroll a chance!

Tegris

I thought Dowd got both decisions right, but they were certainly unfortunate penalties to concede. Doesn't excuse the fact that we were abysmal in front of goal again. It's a pity we've lost this one as it's a while before we have an easy game.

Ah well, off to bed.

Wilbur

Banned
Mostly watched the Liverpool match but saw all the goals, had them all open on LOF. Cheers for that Viva, it's class.

Liverpool... you never let me down. To be fair, the possession side of things is encouraging, the Gera goal you could do nothing about and the second penalty might have been a little harsh. But the way they fell apart after Agger went off... and their finishing, fucking hell. I like Rodgers, I really do. But the lols were incredible. Fantastic for Clarke as well, he'll be over the moon.

Swansea, fucking class. Laudrup has swag and while only having marginally more possession, five goals? Against that sack of shites QPR?! I feel bad for Fabio and Park (and Green was my FPL keeper LOL) but fuck Mark Hughes and the rest, well done. Michu (also in my FPL team!) looked class, Dyer and De Guzman also.

West Ham winning, bah. Every time I flicked to it long balls were flying up the pitch, but Villa didn't look great either. Will take a bit of time for some of the signings to bed in for both teams, but Lambert's great. West Ham will comfortably stay up.

Arsenal just don't know what to do when faced with a stoic defence. Cazorla looked class though. I think Podolski and Giroud should start together really, it's a travesty that Gervinho is starting ahead of one of them when he can't finish for fucking shit. Sunderland looked poor up top when I was watching but defence looked good. I think they'll be good until February and then O'Neill curse of not rotating will kick in.

Fulham are a lovely attractive team, Jol's done a great job. If they can hold onto Dempsey and Dembele they'll be fantastic. Petric looks a canny buy already. Feel bad for Hughton but he's got a job on his hands. Good squad but they played above themselves last year.

Nice to see Reading get a late equaliser against Stoke. Didn't look great quality wise every time I flicked to that as well. McDermott and Pulis both looked like tits on the touchline as well.

Garjon

That was awful. Simply awful. We didn't actually play badly up until the red card, but we hardly deserved to win either. Some utterly sloppy passing effectively killing off our ability to play the Rodgers style, plus no Plan B (Joe Cole, are you fucking kidding me?) and a return to passing it backwards when there are attacking but risky options around you made us totally incapable of fighting back.

WRT to the refereeing decisions, the one against Agger was probably right; even though the player could very easily have stayed on his feet, when you go down under contact like that in the box, it has to be a penalty. I have stated my thoughts on the horrendous instant red card for the last man rule before, but according to the rules, it was the right call, although weren't the FA supposed to be changing that?
As for the Skrtel penalty, I take it Dowd has never heard of the term 'benefit of the doubt'; what exactly was Skrtel supposed to do there? Long sneaked around him and as he was about to clear the ball, ran into his foot and went down. Hell, even the fan reaction was practically non-existent. I just think this decision sets a bad precedent and I can see many players in future doing the same thing and winning a giveaway penalty. Perhaps we should teach this trick to Suarez, for all his creativity and skill on the ball his finishing is just so bad.

Stimpy

Awful first game for Liverpool, hopefully we can put in a decent performance against Hearts mid-week and try to get a little bit of confidence back for the game against City, I don't really fancy our chances of getting a result against them next weekend though.

I won't moan about the penalties but wtf was Dowd doing with the lack of cards for West Brom players, we had players taken out on the edge of the box with no attempt to play the ball about 4 times and he handed out nothing :/

flyover

Johnson on the left has been awful, really poor distribution....

Allen looks good...

Agree on both points. Hope Enrique's knock isn't serious. He's fit in very well into Rodgers system, and Johnson has to be on the right side in it.

And I think Allen is going to be great for the team, once he's integrated.

sohois

But you laid down and died in spectacular fashion.

Other, better clubs do not react that way. In fact, the way you capitulated almost reminded me of us versus City last year. You lost your heads and lost your shape.

But it wasn't just the red card, it was at the same time, 2 penalties being awarded. Plus when you consider its a new manager with a new system, it will of course be difficult to keep to a system.

Speaking as to the match itself, first half was alright albeit lacking in penetration. Liverpool came out better in the 2nd but it was only a short time until the red. I spoke before that having Johnson and Borini on the left was foolish, it just cut out any threat from the left. Really, Borini should have been in the middle and Suarez out wide. Gerrard wasn't really involved in the game, seems to be a feature from preseason whereby he is key in one game and anonymous the next. Downing wasn't not great but he was looking far more confident, he was actually trying things as opposed to just passing it backwards. Mostly the other players were fairly average, the defence of course struggled once they were down to 10. One bizarre point was the introduction of Joe Cole ahead of Carroll, Rodgers seemed to be basing his decision on his dislike of the Carroll instead of thinking about the match at hand.

Trying to convince my 5 year old boy to support Liverpool...do I risk child abuse accusations? His favourite colour is blue...and thus only likes blue teams. If he becomes a Chelsea fan I'll disown him...
You're actively trying to get your child to support Liverpool? What's wrong with you? He should disown you

GQman2121

Banned
Anyone got Tottenham and Newcastle's starting XI?

Newcastle
01 Krul
03 Santon
05 Simpson
14 Perch
27 S Taylor
04 Cabaye
10 Ben Arfa
18 Gutierrez
24 Tiote
09 Cisse
19 Ba

Substitutes
37 Harper
06 Williamson
08 Anita
16 R Taylor
15 Gosling
25 Obertan
23 Sh Ameobi

Tottenham
24 Friedel
04 Kaboul
13 Gallas
28 Walker
32 Assou-Ekotto
07 Lennon
11 Bale
22 Sigurdsson
29 Livermore
30 Sandro
18 Defoe

Substitutes
23 Cudicini
05 Vertonghen
16 Naughton
10 Van der Vaart
21 Jenas
31 Townsend
37 Kane

GorillaJu

According to the FPL site, Torres is the most captained player this week. It would be hilarious and amazing if he only played one game and didn't score.

Nevasleep

Isn't there a blue team in Merseyside he could support....

Carbonox

Newcastle 4-4-2: Krul; Simpson, Taylor, Perch, Santon; Ben Arfa, Cabaye, Tiote, Gutierrez; Cisse, Ba

:lol Full-strength team just about (no Coloccini). So good.

pulga

Banned
Gotta say, waking up so early to catch the first fixture did not disappoint. Lots of goals all around and fucking Lollerpool <3

Slizz

Newcastle
01 Krul
03 Santon
05 Simpson
14 Perch
27 S Taylor
04 Cabaye
10 Ben Arfa
18 Gutierrez
24 Tiote
09 Cisse
19 Ba

Substitutes
37 Harper
06 Williamson
08 Anita
16 R Taylor
15 Gosling
25 Obertan
23 Sh Ameobi

Tottenham
24 Friedel
04 Kaboul
13 Gallas
28 Walker
32 Assou-Ekotto
07 Lennon
11 Bale
22 Sigurdsson
29 Livermore
30 Sandro
18 Defoe

Substitutes
23 Cudicini
05 Vertonghen
16 Naughton
10 Van der Vaart
21 Jenas
31 Townsend
37 Kane

Thanks, off to a terrible start in FF and had to make sure Ba and Cabaye were starting.

GorillaJu

I'm curious what Gerrard's passing completion was today. It had to have been sub 75%. It was horrendous.

Lucas was uncharacteristically mediocre, and I thought Allen, Agger (before the send off) and Suarez were far and away our best players.

Garjon

I'm curious what Gerrard's passing completion was today. It had to have been sub 75%. It was horrendous.

Lucas was uncharacteristically mediocre, and I thought Allen, Agger (before the send off) and Suarez were far and away our best players.

Pretty much, though apparently our pass completion rate for the first half was 88%, more than any game last season. What do we win?

flyover

Think so too. Best trio of the day, by far.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom