• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bumhead

Banned
Just got back from Derby.

Finally seen us get a point there at the fifth or sixth time of asking, I lose count. Great atmosphere, great day and a good result after going 2-0 down to draw 2-2. Derby were garbage in the second half and we deserved to win the game when all was said and done. Great comback to score 2 and we also had 2 goals chalked off and what looked like a stone wall penalty appeal turned away.

If we can add a touch more quality between now and the end of August we will be in good shape for the upcoming Championship season.

Soi-Fong

Anyone here know why Song is being sold when he still has 3 years on his contract? Wenger should've been more stricter on him. 15 m is a steal.

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
Anyone here know why Song is being sold when he still has 3 years on his contract? Wenger should've been more stricter on him. 15 m is a steal.

Same reason Modric is being sold with 4 years on his contract. He wants to play for a different team.

jtb

Banned

Because Wenger doesn't rate him or his shit attitude and there was a buyer. If this was last summer, I'd be horrified. But we've been linked with replacements, so I trust Wenger will spend the money on a replacement who's an improvement. 15m is low, but that doesn't concern me if the money is spent.

Lightning

Banned
Because he's acting like a proper JT and Wenger has had enough of him disrupting the harmony of the dressing room.

Cazorla played against Puerto Rico AWAY. He didn't look tired

Wenger said you can either force a player to stay or let him go, which begs the question of the value of contracts at all.

Correct.

Giroud is just cumbersome. I have had serious questions about whether he'll fit into Arsenal's system ever since he signed and they weren't exactly abated by today's performance.

jtb

Banned
Giroud will come good. I have faith in him becoming a 20 goal/season striker. This is not Chamakh 2.0. More like... Adebayor 2.0. He and Podolski should play together as the season progresses.

Feorax

Good news: looks like the situation with Sahin has been resolved. He cleaned out his locker at 6:30pm today and he is on his way to his new club.

Bad news: Still don't know which club he is headed to...

Good news: looks like the situation with Sahin has been resolved. He cleaned out his locker at 6:30pm today and he is on his way to his new club.

What a difficult decision he has to make after today's performances

Lightning

Banned

Better be to us... We can use a player like him.

Giroud will come good, no problem there for me.

Sleepy

AAAARRRRGGGGGHHHHH. Just tell us already.

elsk

Banned

It was pretty clear since yesterday when Coentrao took the #5.

FuturusX

Tired of these players...we need to give him an ultimatum. Make up your mind right now or the deal is off..(looks at Liverpool squad) Erm...who gonna go beg the boy..

jtb

Banned
There's about 3-4 guys who score 20 a year. You think Giroud will enter that echelon? That's a pretty steep expectation.

The current Arsenal system is built around supplying a striker to a 20 goal season; the reason why we've failed time and time again is because RVP is made of glass and the backups are Bendtner (who's scored a fair number of goals for us, which should tell you everything) and CHamakh. Giroud can score goals, and unlike last season, he'll have the service so he doesn't need to do it all on his own. It's less of an indication of how good Giroud is, but how much more well-rounded the squad is this time around compared to last season.

Plus, Giroud's got a good fitness record.

I mean, every single first team striker at City (Tevez, Aguero, Dzeko, Balotelli, even Adebayor) is capable of being a 20 goal a season striker, but they just won't get the chance because there's so much rotation. Giroud's only competition is Podolski, and I think Podolski will play more as a support striker/winger as the season progresses, rather than up front.

edit: and FUCK YES SAHIN. I know Brendan Rodgers is so much better at working with young players than Wenger, but seriously. Come to Arsenal. plz.

Zabojnik

Waiting for De Rossi is like waiting for eternity.

Please City, lets sign him.

dc, he stated he ain't leaving Roma. This is De Rossi we're talking about, not RVP. If he said it, that's it. Unless the club wants him gone bad and I don't think that's the case here.

FuturusX

Why would he go to Liverpool over Arsenal? Let me guess...Liverpool terms for the loan are superior to Arsenal...player wants Arsenal, Madrid want it to be Liverpool.

EDIT: And I can see both Arsenal and Liverpool struggling for goals in streches this season. UTD lost the league on goal difference...RVP is an attempt to make sure that doesn't happen again. Smart move.

Salvadora

Why would he go to Liverpool over Arsenal? Let me guess...Liverpool terms for the loan are superior to Arsenal...player wants Arsenal, Madrid want it to be Liverpool.

It has been mentioned that Liverpool offered a better deal. Who knows if that has changed.

jtb

Banned
It has been mentioned that Liverpool offered a better deal. Who knows if that has changed.

We have the money so that damn well better have changed! Hell, just fucking buy him. He's obviously not going to have a long term future if the Modric transfer goes through. Wenger needs to start working his Giroud magic on Sahin and keep the texts coming.

dc, he stated he ain't leaving Roma. This is De Rossi we're talking about, not RVP. If he said it, that's it. Unless the club wants him gone bad and I don't think that's the case here.

He's been putting off big moves away from Roma for years, despite the club being willing to let him go. He seems very genuine in his interest to be a one club man, regardless of the methods of persuasion. Despite the reports, I'd still be surprised to see him finally leave.

Waiting for De Rossi is like waiting for eternity.

Please City, lets sign him.

There's fuck all linking you to him bar previous, long-dead rumours that have been regurgitated by the press. Kolarov's agent came to England to talk to City and he also happens to act for DDR - who cares?

As Zab said, Roma would have to force him out because the size of City's offer in any event.

dc89

I'm not listening man.

*puts fingers in ears*

Roma play in a friendly tomorrow IIRC. Let's see if he plays.

dc89

You guys were talking about Noel before?

609250327-6bd22295599f4b67c999eae0c16a0936.502ff440-scaled.jpg

That was his backstage area at a music festival in Belgium. That's Kompany's lady he's with.

I <3 Noel.

Zabojnik

Maybe training or a few matches with Zeman could change his mind.

Haha, yeah. He's sure as hell gonna need a quality DM or any player that knows what it means to defend, though. However, Zeman puts his tactical ideas above the players he's given, so he probably wouldn't give a shit if Daniele were to leave.

Really curious to see Roma in action this season. Might catch that friendly tomorrow actually.

Honestly I don't think Sahin is enough. We are overloaded with midfielders and yet I can't say we have a great midfield. Something is missing from this side. The RB/LB situation needs resolving sooner or later also.

Plasma

Banned
Got back from the Arsenal game about an hour ago, bit of a boring match not what you want from the season opener. Still though got to look at the positives, a point isn't the worst result in the world and I though Jenkinson had a solid game at RB which makes me feel a bit better knowing that he will have to play for about a month or so until Sagna gets back.

Will be happy when we sign another midfielder though, Diaby looks off the pace which I guess is to be expected he has hardly played football in the last two years and from the looks of it Song is gone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom