• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

FuturusX

One all at ipswich

There is a school of thought that we would be best getting a couple of losses out of the way and ridding the club of Kean once and for all.

I love the club but we are an embarassment top to bottom at present

Hmm...that's tough man. I'm ready to join the protest in solidarity. Such a shame...I hope it goes badly and then gets better then? :)

I know Hughes wants to get rid of Barton, but do you reckon he literally has no chance of getting back on the squad after his ban?

Depends on how they're doing really, if they're doing badly I can see him getting back into the squad. If Hughes can avoid it though if they're playing well then there's just no need for him.

FuturusX

Both penalties given against Liverpool were ridiculous. Poor decisions, especially the second one where Long actually ran into Skretel

I think the first probably was...long could have stayed on his feet. But you know how it is. The second was strange, Long got clipped in incidental contact as Skertel played the ball. If that's outside the box it's nothing...

Being kicked in the back of the calf (whether by mistake or not) does not equate running into someone.

He ran into him. Skretel didn't even see him, Long came from his blindside. As Skretel was about to pass the ball, Long stretched out his leg at that moment - the two collided and Long's balance was affected. I can't for the life of me see how that is considered a foul on the defenders part. I've seen incidents like that actually where Skretel would have been deemed the one fouled.

The first penalty, the subtle push, happened outside the box. Liverpool very unlucky today

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
He ran into him. Skretel didn't even see him, Long came from his blindside. As Skretel was about to pass the ball, Long stretched out his leg at that moment - the two collided and Long's balance was affected.

Skrtel dawdled on the ball, Long came round him won the ball and took it away form Skrtel, who then kicked his calf without knowing he was there. It's a foul if ever I saw one. Skrtel paid the price for his lack of awareness. Long actually pinches the ball of Skrtel before he was fouled.

Skrtel dawdled on the ball, Long came round him won the ball and took it away form Skrtel, who then kicked his calf without knowing he was there. It's a foul if ever I saw one. Skrtel paid the price for his lack of awareness. Long actually pinches the ball of Skrtel before he was fouled.

Yup. He certainly did not run into him in any way.

untitled-156cs9x.gif

whaddup bitch

ShogunX

Wow GAF finally working for me but then it seems that was probably for the best during today's football events.

Watched the game on the usual streaming site and we should of had WBA on the ropes by half time but an all too familiar stench was slowly creeping in and then the forgotten man Gera pops up with a screamer - SURPRISE.

As for the penalties? The first was the correct decision and nobody can have anything to complain about but the second is a bit weak considering there is such little contact on Long and for me he's conned the ref but either way Skrtel should of been more aware.

The result today has definitely brought a few people back down to earth regarding the season ahead but I recall the likes of Spurs and Arsenal getting bad losses at the start of last season and still recovering - Hopefully we can do the same but it's not like the next few games are going to be easy.

And the contact for the first one was outside the box.

Dowd loves giving penalties.

Agger might have been outside the box. But the West Brom player was inside before (while Agger still had his arm in his back) before he fell.

dI2Qa.jpg

I agree that the second was harsh, but Long certainly didn't just run into Skretel as Meus said.

dc89

An author, City fan and football historian called Gary James has wrote a book on City and it's emerged that City made a bid for Messi!

City had made already made a failed bid for Fernando Torres and had attempted to hijack Manchester United’s deal with Spurs for Dimitar Berbatov.

But senior club officials based in Manchester, London and Abu Dhabi were formulating Sheikh Mansour’s plans by telephone.

And Cook (Gary Cook) explains: “He (an executive) made a comment like ‘it’s all getting messy.’

“Via the telephones and other communication lines, this somehow translated into ‘get Messi.’

“An offer was made for Lionel Messi of about £30million. Needless to say, it was rejected.”

http://www.mirror.co.uk/sport/footb...481?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

ROFL!

ShogunX

Oh and another thing I forgot to mention - I know the majority of people dislike Suarez on here but Jonas Olsson giving him the old forearm smash and not even getting booked was an absolute joke.

Nobody can say WBA didn't deserve their result today nor can anyone blame the ref but fuck me is Phil Dowd incompetent.

dc89

Wow... Then again, wouldn't be surprised if Messi says that he wants to leave, that City would make a crazy 80 million plus bid for him.

The source gives more context to that. It was on like day one of the take over when they wanted a land mark signing.

Oh and another thing I forgot to mention - I know the majority of people dislike Suarez on here but Jonas Olsson giving him the old forearm smash and not even getting booked was an absolute joke.

Nobody can say WBA didn't deserve their result today nor can anyone blame the ref but fuck me is Phil Dowd incompetent.

So were a lot of your players. Liverpool would do better to look inwards than out for reasons for their failure.

Lunchbox

Banned

olsson is an idiot

should've smashed him with a bat instead. forearm barely does any damage

dc89

Oh yeah. I don't see a media witch hunt on Pardew for pushing the official.

Now if it was Balotelli who pushed the official. Well...

Arnie

Agger might have been outside the box. But the West Brom player was inside before (while Agger still had his arm in his back) before he fell.

dI2Qa.jpg

I agree that the second was harsh, but Long certainly didn't just run into Skretel as Meus said.

Aye, fair enough, that's a penalty. I'm more annoyed with Gerrard for giving it away sloppily up the field. He had a stinker today.

The Skrtel penalty requires a bit of common sense from the ref though, if a player runs into another player's foot whilst he's making a pass then that surely can't be a penalty. There's contact, so I understand why some maintain it's a penalty, but for me it's like giving a blatant ball to hand. What's the point when there wasn't an intended tackle or interception, it's not about protecting players in the box, because Long just jumped in the way of Skrtel's passing foot.

Regardless, following the sending off we were getting banged, so I doubt we'd have got anything from the game anyway.

Yes, it was ridiculous. A stonewall, blatant yellow. He just moved away from the ball and into Suarez.

And that leniency exasperates Dowd's impatient refereeing at the other end.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom