• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Football Thread 2012/13 |OT2| @agent_89: My sources tell me the season has started

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soi-Fong

Girlfriend just got me this!!!! Sooo awesome!!!

Now, I still have to get a Kagawa and van Persie jersey. One away and one home. Which player with away and home? You guys have any suggestions?

SAM_0021.jpg

Ushojax

Should probably not trust the 7-11 security cameras quite so much
What's the point when there wasn't an intended tackle or interception, it's not about protecting players in the box, because Long just jumped in the way of Skrtel's passing foot.

It's not intention that's being punished in this instance, it's ignorance. Skrtel is lazy with the ball, loses it and kicks the player in front of him. Just because Skrtel was too dumb to realise Long was there, doesn't mean it isn't a foul. I've seen plenty of penalties given against defenders who whack people without realising they are there. Good defenders know what is around them.

Adebayor exit strategy now resolved, apparently. Nice timing Ade, you made sure City couldn't buy RVP.

How were Blackburn today? Noticed Kazim-Richards had scored but then didn't Ipswich level late on? Regardless how did you play?

We played the Kean way, got in the lead and then sat back and didn't hae another shot on target! We have some good players but are screwed with him.

Weird question but did the west ham game look slightly odd on motd to anyone else like there was a problem with the feed somehow.

Arnie

That's brilliant.

It's not intention that's being punished in this instance, it's ignorance. Skrtel is lazy with the ball, loses it and kicks the player in front of him. Just because Skrtel was too dumb to realise Long was there, doesn't mean it isn't a foul. I've seen plenty of penalties given against defenders who whack people without realising they are there. Good defenders know what is around them.

Adebayor exit strategy now resolved, apparently. Nice timing Ade, you made sure City couldn't buy RVP.

I know what you're saying, and I agree that Skrtel was too slow in passing the ball (he had a poor game in general), but it's still an incredibly harsh penalty decision. You wouldn't be arguing your case if it happened to Spurs, I know that for sure.

elkayes

Girlfriend just got me this!!!! Sooo awesome!!!

Now, I still have to get a Kagawa and van Persie jersey. One away and one home. Which player with away and home? You guys have any suggestions?

SAM_0021.jpg

I really wish DHL would get rid of the yellow background for the jersey

Didnt realise stoke had a man sent off, thank you Agger for saving me from that fate!

Oh fuck off Pulis you utter JT how can you moan about the referee trying to play advantage?

FuturusX

Shouldn't you be watching handegg or netball something?

I have a firm rule only respond to his posts, when I see some form of punctuation. I'm tired of reading a constant stream of nonsense. The obvious trolling of Liverpool is one thing..but it's like he's trolling the English language. I won't stand for it.

Bumhead

Banned
We used to do this ("if you cant do the bouncy you're a Mag"), I hated it. Up there with "easy! easy! easy!" for the creme de la merde of chants.

To be fair, if we sang the word "bouncy" I'd probably agree.

Wouldn't agree it's anywhere near "easy" standard, either. It's not some shit engineered by Tim Lovecock and the Soccer AM gimps.

Lightning

Banned
He would've scored, and you would've won.

Let's be real now.
RVP missed quite a few over the years as well, I am being real. Sure he had a higher percentage of scoring being a higher quality player but it's not to say he would have. I've seen RVP miss goals he should have scored before.

Ushojax

That's brilliant.

I know what you're saying, and I agree that Skrtel was too slow in passing the ball (he had a poor game in general), but it's still an incredibly harsh penalty decision. You wouldn't be arguing your case if it happened to Spurs, I know that for sure.

Sure I would, Dawson gave away one like that once and it was the right call. You can't whack a player on the back of the legs and say it isn't a foul because you didn't see him. IMO penalty decisions are never harsh, they are either right or wrong, just like offside. A foul is a foul.

FuturusX

WBA were good today. There performance has been glossed over. Incredibly organised for an opening fixture, Clarke's great at that.

Yep. Even before the sending off they were good. They restricted Liverpool quite a bit in the first half too, very few clear chances.

We need to take our lumps on this one. Dowd was a clown..but the circus was of our own making.

jtb

Banned
Yes, but they weren't losing to WBA.

Difference between Liverpool and Arsenal/Spur's situations last season was that Spurs and Arsenal were lacking key players through injury, ongoing transfer sagas, suspension, etc. and had signed nobody, where Liverpool have already spent a bit of money on their summer signings and had what looks to be their first choice XI out there today.

Not saying Liverpool won't come good, esp since it takes Rodgers' teams a little while to get started if last season is any evidence, but it's a different situation. Liverpool do have a lot of tough fixtures coming up though so they'll have to start scoring goals sometime...

Arnie

Sure I would, Dawson gave away one like that once and it was the right call. You can't whack a player on the back of the legs and say it isn't a foul because you didn't see him. IMO penalty decisions are never harsh, they are either right or wrong, just like offside. A foul is a foul.

It's not just like an offside, one is objective, one is subjective.

You can't make a single argument against an offside, there's a line. If that Skrtel penalty wasn't given I don't think there'd be uproar, I think people would agree that it was incredibly soft.

Difference between Liverpool and Arsenal/Spur's situations last season was that Spurs and Arsenal were lacking key players through injury, ongoing transfer sagas, suspension, etc. and had signed nobody, where Liverpool have already spent a bit of money on their summer signings and had what looks to be their first choice XI out there today.

Not saying Liverpool won't come good, esp since it takes Rodgers' teams a little while to get started if last season is any evidence, but it's a different situation. Liverpool do have a lot of tough fixtures coming up though so they'll have to start scoring goals sometime...

I know what you're saying, but Liverpool controlled and threatened up until the wonder goal and the sending off. Those two strokes of misfortune would kill many a team, Arsenal and Spurs included.

Anyone else think indirect free kicks would suffice for incidents like the Skrtel one? I guess there'd be too much room for interpretation if they did that though, with defenders disguising hacks as attempts to clear the ball

If I were a Liverpool fan I wouldn't be mad at Sqrtel for the pen, but his defending for the first pen was fucking atrocious. He completely landed Agger in the shit.

Ushojax

It's not just like an offside, one is objective, one is subjective.

You can't make a single argument against an offside, there's a line. If that Skrtel penalty wasn't given I don't think there'd be uproar, I think people would agree that it was incredibly soft.

It was soft because it was easily avoidable if Skrtel had used his brain cell. But he didn't. A soft foul is still a foul, that's why those kinds of penalties are so annoying.

Arnie

If I were a Liverpool fan I wouldn't be mad at Sqrtel for the pen, but his defending for the first pen was fucking atrocious. He completely landed Agger in the shit.
He was pretty shit all game, really. Not seen him have a performance that bad since he was matched against Bale at White Heart Lane.

FuturusX

What was clearly an issue today was the lack of believe in getting something out of the game at 1-0 down. Liverpool had a clear superiority in passing and possession and the penalty save should have spurred them on. Instead they let the second goal completely deflate them. I don't care if you are 2-0 down. Show some fight.

It's going to be real dog fight to get points and stay in the hunt for anything.

I hate to say it but Andy Carroll should be played or sold. Goals are needed, chances must be taken. I want to see options upfront, Suarez can't do it alone.

Arnie

What was clearly an issue today was the lack of believe in getting something out of the game at 1-0 down. Liverpool had a clear superiority in passing and possession and the penalty save should have spurred them on. Instead they let the second goal completely deflate them. I don't care if you are 2-0 down. Show some fight.

It's going to be real dog fight to get points and stay in the hunt for anything.

I hate to say it but Andy Carroll should be played or sold. Goals are needed, chances must be taken. I want to see options upfront, Suarez can't do it alone.

Have you seen that rumour that he didn't leave on the team bus? But instead in some car.

I honestly think he's as wasteful with his chances as Suarez is, so I'd rather see him sold and cover brought in. I want to see a proper striker brought in too, not just a pseudo striker that also functions as a wide player. It was said last season that we hadn't replaced Torres, and we knew it, it's been evident for the last 12 months after all.

10 men, yada yada.

I want to see options upfront, Suarez can't do it alone.

He isn't a strong enough finisher to be the focal point of Liverpool's attack, and his support is toothless at best. Liverpool need to sign a goal scorer; I wonder if there's anyone out there who they could recruit.

K1LLER7

So Fergie was at the Fulham game, wouldn't mind buying Dembele, he made the most tackles in midfield last season. Looks a decent player, good on the ball.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom